PDA

View Full Version : Obama Retakes Oath Of Office After Flub

Psychoblues
01-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Just so there won't be any misunderstandings by you strict constitutionalists!!!!!!!!!!!!

President stumbled after Chief Justice John Roberts blundered

Associated Press via MSNBC:

WASHINGTON - After the flub heard around the world, President Barack Obama has taken the oath of office. Again. Chief Justice John Roberts delivered the oath to Obama on Wednesday night at the White House — a rare do-over.

The surprise moment came in response to Tuesday's much-noticed stumble, when Roberts got the words of the oath a little off, which prompted Obama to do so, too.

Don't worry, the White House says: Obama has still been president since noon on Inauguration Day.

Nevertheless, Obama and Roberts went through the drill again out of what White House counsel Greg Craig called "an abundance of caution."

A quieter setting
This time, the scene was the White House Map Room in front of a small group of reporters, not the Capitol platform before the whole watching world.

"We decided that because it was so much fun ...," Obama joked to reporters who followed press secretary Robert Gibbs into the room. No TV camera crews or news photographers were allowed in.

Roberts put on his black robe.

"Are you ready to take the oath?" he said.

"Yes, I am," Obama said. "And we're going to do it very slowly."

Roberts then led Obama through the oath without any missteps.

The president said he did not have his Bible with him, but that the oath was binding anyway.

The original, bungled version on Tuesday caught observers by surprise and then got replayed on cable news shows.

It happened when Obama interrupted Roberts midway through the opening line, in which the president repeats his name and solemnly swears.

Next in the oath is the phrase " ... that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States." But Roberts rearranged the order of the words, not saying "faithfully" until after "president of the United States."

Obama thrown off
That appeared to throw Obama off. He stopped abruptly at the word "execute."

Recognizing something was off, Roberts then repeated the phrase, putting "faithfully" in the right place but without repeating "execute."

But Obama then repeated Roberts' original, incorrect version: "... the office of president of the United States faithfully."

Craig, the White House lawyer, said in a statement Wednesday evening: "We believe the oath of office was administered effectively and that the president was sworn in appropriately yesterday. Yet the oath appears in the Constitution itself. And out of the abundance of caution, because there was one word out of sequence, Chief Justice John Roberts will administer the oath a second time."

The Constitution is clear about the exact wording of the oath and as a result, some constitutional experts have said that a do-over probably wasn't necessary but also couldn't hurt. Two other previous presidents have repeated the oath because of similar issues, Calvin Coolidge and Chester A. Arthur.

Article 2, Section 1, Clause 8 of the Constitution states:

"Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

More: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28780417

God Bless You And God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

DragonStryk72
01-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Aw, come on it had to happen one these times. I mean, seriously, it was a simple enough flub on both parts.

stephanie
01-21-2009, 11:45 PM
I say he choked on it, because he knows he doesn't really mean it..

Psychoblues
01-21-2009, 11:52 PM
The entire fuckup started with the backwards ass words of CJ Roberts.

Aw, come on it had to happen one these times. I mean, seriously, it was a simple enough flub on both parts.

You're correct, DS'72. It really ain't no biggie but only big enough for the President of the United States of America, Barack Hussein Obama, to consider and retake the oath so as not to stir up the complaints by the little ones, don't you know?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Or, did you miss that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Cool one?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Psychoblues

stephanie
01-21-2009, 11:57 PM

You're correct, DS'72. It really ain't no biggie but only big enough for the President of the United States of America, Barack Hussein Obama, to consider and retake the oath so as not to stir up the complaints by the little ones, don't you know?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Or, did you miss that?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Cool one?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

Psycho Blues

aww, already with the blaming others for the little Marxist screwups..you would of thought the smartest man in the whole world, would of practiced saying the oath for the country he is suppose to be leading...

Psychoblues
01-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Facts still escape you, don't they, stevie?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?????!

aww, already with the blaming others for the little Marxist screwups..you would of thought the smartest man in the whole world, would of practiced saying the oath for the country he is suppose to be leading...

No one is placing blame but the oath was rerendered to keep idiots like you from complaining about it. But,,,,,,,,,,,complain you will anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO CODS FOR STEVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE IS DRUNK ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

stephanie
01-22-2009, 12:10 AM
stevie?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?????!

No one is placing blame...

Psycho Blues

are you seriously that drunk??
from you post above...

Your little smartass answers don't impress me, you friggen lush..

Yurt
01-22-2009, 12:37 AM

Psychoblues

pea brain....try READING your own links:

It happened when Obama interrupted Roberts midway through the opening line, in which the president repeats his name and solemnly swears.

Next in the oath is the phrase " ... that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States." But Roberts rearranged the order of the words, not saying "faithfully" until after "president of the United States."

sucks to be you :cheers2:

Yurt
01-22-2009, 12:39 AM
are you seriously that drunk??
from you post above...

Your little smartass answers don't impress me, you friggen lush..

one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor

Psychoblues
01-22-2009, 01:14 AM
The idiots just love revisionist history.

Psychoblues

Yurt
01-22-2009, 01:48 AM
The idiots just love revisionist history.

Psychoblues

yeah, yeah, you got busted and of course you have nothing but insults

Psychoblues
01-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Did I insult you, yuk?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

yeah, yeah, you got busted and of course you have nothing but insults

My comment was only meant for the idiotic revisionist historians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The CJ fucked up. You just can't admit it, can you?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Yurt
01-22-2009, 02:00 AM
moron, the paper said obama messed up first, read your link

Psychoblues
01-22-2009, 02:13 AM
I watched it live and know how it went, dumbo.

moron, the paper said obama messed up first, read your link

The CJ is as much of an idiot as I knew back when the other idiot nominated him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Monkeybone
01-22-2009, 07:43 AM
I watched it live and know how it went, dumbo.

The CJ is as much of an idiot as I knew back when the other idiot nominated him!!!!

YES WE CAN!!

Psychoblues

i watched it live as well. Obama interruppted Roberts and it screwed them both up. maybe you should take off your Party glasses and just watch things. or should i say drunk goggles?

PostmodernProphet
01-22-2009, 07:50 AM
My comment was only meant for the idiotic revisionist historians!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it isn't polite to accuse folks of being liberals....many would take offense at that....

Psychoblues
01-23-2009, 10:21 PM
I think it's on youtube, dumbass.

i watched it live as well. Obama interruppted Roberts and it screwed them both up. maybe you should take off your Party glasses and just watch things. or should i say drunk goggles?

Care to rethink your position?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

How about a good stiff one to help you through your personal deliberations?!?!?!?!??!??!?

Psychoblues

Mr. P
01-24-2009, 12:01 AM
The retake was perfect...it stopped the "he was never sworn in" crowd before they even thunk of it. :thumb:

Psychoblues
01-24-2009, 12:06 AM
'Zackly, pee!!!!!!!!!

The retake was perfect...it stopped the "he was never sworn in" crowd before they even thunk of it. :thumb:

But, sadly, they had already "thunk of it". Need links?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

How 'bout a cool one for the night?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Psychoblues

Trigg
01-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Past Presidents have retaken the oath, no biggie.

Republicans on this site aren't even concerned with the little flub, unlike the loopy libs who are calling for Roberts head on a stick.

DragonStryk72
01-25-2009, 12:24 AM

Republicans on this site aren't even concerned with the little flub, unlike the loopy libs who are calling for Roberts head on a stick.

Well, if he had just rolled with it, there would have been some grousing, but he didn't wait around for it, he just got it taken care of right then and there.

Trigg
01-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, if he had just rolled with it, there would have been some grousing, but he didn't wait around for it, he just got it taken care of right then and there.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have retaken the oath, it's been done before. The constitution is very specific about how the oath should be said.

Psycho's fantasy that this was somehow an attack on Obama is asinine, even dumber is his obsession with Roberts.

Psychoblues
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
You still assuming quite a lot, trig.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have retaken the oath, it's been done before. The constitution is very specific about how the oath should be said.

Psycho's fantasy that this was somehow an attack on Obama is asinine, even dumber is his obsession with Roberts.

Nice to see that you're still as dumb and psychotic as you've always been!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need something to wash that elavil down?!?!?!??!?!???!

Psychoblues

Trigg
01-25-2009, 05:05 PM
You still assuming quite a lot, trig.

Nice to see that you're still as dumb and psychotic as you've always been!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need something to wash that elavil down?!?!?!??!?!???!

Psychoblues

Please at least attempt to make sense.

Put down the alcohol.

Psychoblues
01-25-2009, 05:28 PM
You stepped in here with your nonsensical bullshit, twiggy.

Put down the alcohol.

It's undertandable that your delusions would include denials and projection.

And I don't think I'll be taking your advise on anything to do with my means of refreshment or my attitudes towards information in general.

Chill, twiggy, maybe take a pill!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

red states rule
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Here PB, your guy says Justice Roberts is not to blame

Obama: Roberts not to blame for oath hiccup
By Ian Swanson
Posted: 01/20/09 10:15 PM [ET]

President Obama isn’t blaming Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts for slipping up as he recited the president oath of office during Tuesday’s inauguration ceremony.

Obama said Roberts actually helped him as he gave the oath, and that he was grateful.

“We’re up there, we’ve got a lot of stuff on our mind, and he actually helped me out on a couple of stanzas there,” Obama told ABC News backstage at the “Neighborhood Ball.”

“So overall, I think it went relatively smoothly and I’m very grateful to him.”

Various media and blogs have blamed either Roberts or Obama for the flub. Transcripts suggest that Obama broke in earlier than Roberts expected in repeating the oath, and that this may have thrown the chief justice off. He then put the word “faithfully” at the end of the phrase “I will execute the office of the United States” instead of at the front of that phrase.

Obama also said his administration would be making a series of domestic and foreign policy announcements beginning Wednesday.

“Starting tomorrow, we’ll be making a series of announcements both on domestic and foreign policy that I think will be critical to act swiftly on. We’re not going to be able to delay,” the new president said.

He added that it was fortunate that Congress began working on the stimulus package already, and said getting that package passed “and getting people back to work, that’s going to be the thing we’ll move first on.”

Obama gave the interview backstage at a glitzy celebration sparkled with stars from film, television and music. He and wife Michelle had their first dance to “At Last,” sung for the first couple by Beyonce.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/obama-roberts-not-to-blame-for-oath-hiccup-2009-01-20.html

Trigg
01-25-2009, 05:36 PM

And I don't think I'll be taking your advise on anything to do with my means of refreshment or my attitudes towards information in general.

Psychoblues

What on gods green earth are you talking about?????????

What exactly is nonsensical????

Fact: Other Presidents have retaken the oath
Fact: He needed to retake it because the constitution is very specific about the oath
Fact: You and Joe are the only ones making a big deal about this entire issue. NO ONE ELSE CARES.

What denials and projections??????????????????????????????

red states rule
01-25-2009, 05:38 PM
What on gods green earth are you talking about?????????

What exactly is nonsensical????

Fact: Other Presidents have retaken the oath
Fact: He needed to retake it because the constitution is very specific about the oath
Fact: You and Joe are the only ones making a big deal about this entire issue. NO ONE ELSE CARES.

What denials and projections??????????????????????????????

I am not sure he knows what he is babbling about

This was not a big deal. Both were nervious and no harm was done

Trigg
01-25-2009, 05:40 PM

Put down the alcohol.

Here are my posts from this thread. Attempt to point out the nonsensical BS, denials or projections.

Chill, twiggy, maybe take a pill!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
01-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Your second and third posts, as you now present them, are entirely nonsensical to me and have no bearing on reality whatsoever, twiggy.

Do you need a recommendation for a good psyche doc, twiggy?!?!?!??!???!

Psychoblues

Monkeybone
01-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Your second and third posts, as you now present them, are entirely nonsensical to me and have no bearing on reality whatsoever, twiggy.

Do you need a recommendation for a good psyche doc, twiggy?!?!?!??!???!

Psychoblues

is that what you claim when the words are too big for you?

red states rule
01-26-2009, 07:58 AM

More like it is when those pesky facts enter into the discussion

red states rule
01-26-2009, 09:03 AM
and while Pres Obama was speaking............

http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/political-pictures-used-to-be-me-shoulda-been-me.jpg

Psychoblues
01-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Even though I wasn't talking to you, Monkeybutt, please feel free to use whatever big words you have.

Is whining going to be your habit from now on or what?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Cool one?!?!?!?!?!????!??!

Psychoblues

Trigg
01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Even though I wasn't talking to you, Monkeybutt, please feel free to use whatever big words you have.

Psychoblues

Whining seems to be all your doing on this thread.

How is it nonsensical to say "Other Presidents have retaken the oath due to flubs."? Seems to fit into the topic on this thread very well and does in fact have a bearing on reality.

My second post that you have a problem with basically says the same thing and also calls into question why you and Joe have such a problem with Roberts.

Did your reading comprehension take a break?

Monkeybone
01-30-2009, 07:27 AM

Psychoblues
hahaha yah.. i whine as much as you make sense Psychobitch (since we are regressing to changing names in a childish manner). Was just making a statement as you seemed to be going on instead of being able to have any comprehension of what was being said. You can't even answer the simple question that was asked of you. :lame2:

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 04:56 AM
Would you like some cheese to go with that whine, monkeybutt?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

hahaha yah.. i whine as much as you make sense Psychobitch (since we are regressing to changing names in a childish manner). Was just making a statement as you seemed to be going on instead of being able to have any comprehension of what was being said. You can't even answer the simple question that was asked of you. :lame2:

You never understand the irony, do you?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

Trigg
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Would you like some cheese to go with that whine, monkeybutt?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

You never understand the irony, do you?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

I see insults are still all you have since your posts on this subject no longer make any sense.