PDA

View Full Version : Hey Noir (and others)

Abbey Marie
01-21-2009, 11:59 PM
What do you think about Scotland for an Anniversary vacation destination?
I love old abbeys and castles, and my husband is crazy for single malts, so it seems like a perfect destination.

Is October in Scotland too cold/rainy/dreary? Do you think Ireland is a better idea if we cannot manage both? We've been to a short trip to England.

Thanks!

manu1959
01-22-2009, 12:11 AM
I love old abbeys and castles, and my husband is crazy for single malts, so it seems like a perfect destination.

Is October in Scotland too cold/rainy/dreary? Do you think Ireland is a better idea if we cannot manage both? We've been to a short trip to England.

Thanks!

loved scotland when i played soccer there one summer....http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=edinburgh&aq=0&oq=edin and st andrews......

PostmodernProphet
01-22-2009, 08:30 AM

Thanks!

my brother lived in Glasgow for a year when he was in the Air Force...if you can only do one, definitely Ireland, but I wouldn't recommend either in October....that would be like visiting the Sahara in August.......

Noir
01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Indeed if you are into those kinda things I'd say Edinbrough and/or St. Andrews would be pretty high on your list. Edinbrough caslte is class.

I'd rethink the date though, October is a lil too late, Scotland is one of those places that is never really warm, but it can be bitterly cold in the fall and winter. So I'd try a month or two earlyer.

As for Ireland, I don't really go down south much so I'm not too sure, but up here in the north we don't have a great number of abbeys or castles, but I've never looked into it in much depth. If you are ever going back to England may I suggest you try and visit Wells, it is a small city near Bristol, and has an amazing cathedral, I'm sure there will be pics of it all over the Internet, my girlfriend use to live in Wells and when I went to visit I had to have a tour, even though it's not my kinda thing normally it was amazing.

Abbey Marie
01-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks, everyone.

Noir, is there a month that would be warm enough, but not too crowded with tourists? We want to wait until at least September, after our daughter starts college. It's sad enough that she is going; I don't want to leave her in the summer.

I watched a travel DVD on Ireland, and it seemed so treeless, except for the very northern end. Is that true? The SE coast did look pretty, though.

hjmick
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I vote Ireland.

manu1959
01-22-2009, 01:41 PM
I vote Ireland.

scotland and the whiskey trail......

Sitarro
01-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Thanks!

Both are pretty nice but I loved Scotland, I spent 2 weeks at Loch Lomond Golf Club outside of Glasgow, an Internationally known course for it's great design and stunning beauty and the site of the Scottish Open. It was amazing how few people were in that area, in America there would have been thousands of tourists a day on the Loch. I stayed at a really cool Bed and Breakfast a few miles from the golf course on the lake. The Scots were some of the friendliest and funny people I have ever been around, watch Craig Ferguson's show to get an idea. I read that Edinburgh was the most beautiful city in the world but I didn't get a chance to see it. It was between that and playing the course, the golf course won. I arrived at the course at 6:30 and was the only person there except for the night watchman who gave me a member's set of clubs to use. It was the perfect temperature, gorgeous, and one of the finest golf courses in the world and it was mine, a golfer's heaven. I played it in 2 and a half hours and shot a 79........ I had a plane to catch that afternoon so I was literally running from green to tee.

Oh, there was a guy there at the golf course that was employed as the Minister of Angling, his job was to take the members fishing on the lake or on some of the nice areas on the course......... tough job. Also, behind the 18th green is a wall from a 700 year old castle and the club house is a 250 year old estate that was being restored.

check these sites out........

http://guide.visitscotland.com/vs/guide/edinburgh,en,SCH1/objectId,RGN560vs,curr,GBP,folder,ATTRACTION,seaso n,at1,selectedEntry,sights/sights.html

http://www.midlothian.gov.uk/article.aspx?topicid=0&articleid=13454

Trigg
01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
I've been trying to talk hubby into Scotland for our 20th. A friend of my sisters who's a Scot says we have to see the highlands.

emmett
01-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I need a vacation too!

hjmick
01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
scotland and the whiskey trail......

Ireland and the Guinness... um... brewery?