PDA

View Full Version : Blago Self-Destructing

Kathianne
01-24-2009, 06:30 AM
With Chicago weather being what it is, there are times to be grateful for the free entertainment around these parts:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/govs-lawyer-intends-to-resign-from-criminal-case.html

Gov's criminal case lawyer to resign
January 23, 2009 5:38 PM | 30 Comments | UPDATED STORY
Edward Genson, the lead attorney for Gov. Rod Blagojevich, said he intends to withdraw as the governor's lawyer in the criminal case.
Genson, who has been practicing law for 44 years, made a brief statement to reporters after a hearing this afternoon in federal court, where a judge had just ruled that four undercover recordings of the governor from the criminal investigation could be turned over to the state legislature.

"I never require a client to do what I say," said Genson, who was accompanied by fellow Blagojevich lawyer Sheldon Sorosky. "But I do require them to at least listen."

"I wish the governor good luck and Godspeed," he added.

Asked about the status of the $500,000 that records show he has been paid from Blagojevich campaign funds, Genson said:

"The answer to that is that it's none of your guys' business."

Genson would have to file paperwork to formally withdraw from the case.

Well that followed another crazy news conference and the launching (http://www.wlsam.com/article.asp?id=152352) of his 'national version' of his side of the story. This caused the Chicago Tribune Editorial Board to use today's and tomorrow's editorials to be devoted to Blago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0124edit1jan24,0,6488015.story

Thanks, Governor

January 24, 2009

Here in Chicago specifically, I'm calling on the Chicago Tribune editorial board and the Chicago Sun-Times editorial board. Get involved. Write editorials. Urge the state Senate leadership to change those rules. Give me a chance as the governor of this state to be able to put my case on, show my innocence and show that I've done mostly the right thing for the people of Illinois. But I can't do it unless the editorial boards weigh in and call on those lawmakers to follow the Constitution.

—Gov. Rod Blagojevich, Jan. 23, 2009

We're relieved that the governor of Illinois took time Friday to express renewed faith in the Tribune editorial board. One of the last times he voiced his thoughts about us—according to an FBI recording of Nov. 4—we sensed that he was distancing himself: "Our recommendation is fire all those [expletive] people, get 'em the [expletive] out of there and get us some editorial support."

Time heals. On Friday a mellower Blagojevich invited us to opine that legislators are railroading him out of Springfield: The rules are stacked against him, he can't defend himself, he can't call as witnesses some of the folks with whom he discussed filling Barack Obama's seat in the U.S. Senate.

Governor, this is the wrong case for you to allege a conspiracy to get you fired. How so?

Yes, it's crucial that fairness suffuse impeachment proceedings, just as it's crucial that fairness suffuse what happens in courts of law. If we thought you were being driven from office unfairly, we'd say so with gusto.

We've done that before. In 1998 we opposed the impeachment of then-President Bill Clinton on the grounds that his offenses didn't merit removal from office.

A year before that, we had opposed the impeachment of then-Illinois Supreme Court Chief Justice James Heiple. Here's the key passage from an editorial of April 5, 1997: "It is a grave step, placing the legislature in judgment of the executive or, in this case, the judiciary. It should be reserved for cases in which an official is incapable of performing his job or has so discredited himself that his ability to serve is hopelessly impaired. This case does not meet such a standard."

But your case, Governor, does meet that standard: You have demonstrated amply that you are incapable of performing your job. And you have so discredited yourself that your ability to serve is hopelessly impaired.

That's why we urged the Illinois House to impeach you. And that's why, after examining the Illinois Senate's trial rules and your complaints about them, we don't see the unfairness you allege.

We'll have more to say about that, Governor, in a Sunday editorial.

You were correct Friday in observing that the Chicago Tribune has a history of siding with victims of unfairness. In this case, those victims are the citizens of Illinois—not the governor who repeatedly abused them.

It may be cold, but never boring. :coffee:

red states rule
01-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Give this guy a reality show after he's out of office. He's endlessly entertaining. :laugh2:

Kathianne
01-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Give this guy a reality show after he's out of office. He's endlessly entertaining. :laugh2:

WLSAM has offered him a Sunday slot, if he resigns before midnight tonight. LOL!

red states rule
01-24-2009, 08:10 AM
WLSAM has offered him a Sunday slot, if he resigns before midnight tonight. LOL!

He needs prime time Kat :laugh2: A morning show at the very least

I was trying to listen to his press conferecne yeaterday, and I was getting pissed at Shepperd Smith on Fox for constatly talking over him

He must have talked about the childrens hospital a dozen times. If I would have been the producer his microphone would have been turned off

bullypulpit
01-24-2009, 08:11 AM
But what will they do with his hair? It seems to have a life of its own.

red states rule
01-24-2009, 08:12 AM
But what will they do with his hair? It seems to have a life of its own.

He can use John "Pretty Boy Edwards" hair dresser

Kathianne
01-24-2009, 08:27 AM
He needs prime time Kat :laugh2: A morning show at the very least

I was trying to listen to his press conferecne yeaterday, and I was getting pissed at Shepperd Smith on Fox for constatly talking over him

He must have talked about the childrens hospital a dozen times. If I would have been the producer his microphone would have been turned off

I hate that Shepard does that, but in this case I think he was trying to bring reality into the picture. Too many think Blago is being railroaded, simply because of trying to profit on senate seat. There are so many wrongs here, but looks like we'll be rid of him in a week or so. Then dumb, but more honest Quinn will be elected, then Lisa Madigan will win and it will start all over again.

red states rule
01-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I hate that Shepard does that, but in this case I think he was trying to bring reality into the picture. Too many think Blago is being railroaded, simply because of trying to profit on senate seat. There are so many wrongs here, but looks like we'll be rid of him in a week or so. Then dumb, but more honest Quinn will be elected, then Lisa Madigan will win and it will start all over again.

I know that is what is was trying to do - but it was very unprofessional. Do it AFTER the man is done speaking

It was uncalled for, and if I were his boss - he would giving an on the air apology to Gov Balgo and the viewers

Kathianne
01-24-2009, 08:45 AM
I know that is what is was trying to do - but it was very unprofessional. Do it AFTER the man is done speaking

It was uncalled for, and if I were his boss - he would giving an on the air apology to Gov Balgo and the viewers

No one owes Blago an apology, as for the viewers, where is their remotes?

red states rule
01-24-2009, 08:48 AM
No one owes Blago an apology, as for the viewers, where is their remotes?

It is as bad as Chris Matthews talking over Pres Bush, or Gov Palin if they were giving a press conference

A reporters job (and an anchors job) is to tell us what is going on. If they want to give their OPINION they can - but after the press conference, and not during the press conference

Kathianne
01-24-2009, 09:00 AM
It is as bad as Chris Matthews talking over Pres Bush, or Gov Palin if they were giving a press conference

A reporters job (and an anchors job) is to tell us what is going on. If they want to give their OPINION they can - but after the press conference, and not during the press conference

Which is why I don't watch MSNBC and have cancelled newspaper subscriptions many times. ;) What they 'should do' and 'do' often are at odds, I vote in the ways I can.

red states rule
01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Which is why I don't watch MSNBC and have cancelled newspaper subscriptions many times. ;) What they 'should do' and 'do' often are at odds, I vote in the ways I can.

Alot of people don't watch MSNBC Kat. Yet the powers that be think moving more and more to the hard left will improve their ratings :laugh2:

Mr. P
01-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I won't be surprised if he's found with a self inflected gun shot to the head.

Kathianne
01-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Alot of people don't watch MSNBC Kat. Yet the powers that be think moving more and more to the hard left will improve their ratings :laugh2:

Then don't watch 'them' either. Seriously. Hasten the departure of the MSM, yes FOX is MSM.

Gaffer
01-25-2009, 09:01 AM
I won't be surprised if he's found with a self inflected gun shot to the head.

Twice.

Kathianne
01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Twice.

I doubt it. This guy is seriously whacked and gives new meaning to narcissism. He's an opportunist and crook, hard to tell which is more dominating, when the criminal trial comes, it will become more clear.

I should have put this with the post you responded to. You're right, several people would like to off him, starting with his former mentor, his father-in-law, Alderman Dick Mell (http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/politics/2008/12/10/man-who-would-be-king/).