PDA

View Full Version : kids today...........

manu1959
01-24-2009, 05:56 PM
When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears
With their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning

Uphill... barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,
There was no way in hell I was going to lay

A bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it

And how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of
Thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my
Childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you
Don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and
Look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write
Somebody a letter, with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! You wanted to
Steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you
Were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school,
Your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you
Just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video
Games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games
Like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You
Actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or
Screens, it was just one screen
Forever!

And you could never win. The game just kept getting
Harder and harder and
Faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a Little book called a TV Guide to find out what was
On! You were screwed when it Came to channel surfing! You had to get off
Your ass and walk over to the TV to change the Channel and there was no
Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons
On Saturday Morning. Do you Hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK
For cartoons, you spoiled
Little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat
Something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids
Today have got it too easy.
You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted
Five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,

The over 30 Crowd

from an e-mail

Yurt
01-24-2009, 09:09 PM
so true!

my first microwave at 6 years old (i think), so funny, i remember my dad bought this really expensive one, $400 (early 80's) but that beast lasted forever, oh and it had a digital interface, the only one of its kind, we were so like future and bad ass :laugh2:

hjmick
01-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I just explained to our sixteen year old daughter the origins of the "E-ticket" reference sometimes used by some of us older folks. Damn I'm feeling old.

Yurt
01-24-2009, 09:55 PM
wife said this should have been in there:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/rotary-phone.jpg

remember how long it took to dial a number? forever! :laugh2:

manu1959
01-24-2009, 09:56 PM
wife said this should have been in there:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/images/rotary-phone.jpg

remember how long it took to dial a number? forever! :laugh2:

we had a phone at tahoe you had to crank and speak to an operator .....

Yurt
01-24-2009, 10:57 PM
we had a phone at tahoe you had to crank and speak to an operator .....

yeah, well at my tahoe diggs we had to speak into a can tide to some string or something....

:cool:

hjmick
01-24-2009, 11:02 PM
yeah, well at my tahoe diggs we had to speak into a can tide to some string or something....

:cool:

Back when I used to go to Tahoe, we used smoke signals and sometimes mirrors or something else shiny to reflect the sun.

:lmao:

Yurt
01-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Back when I used to go to Tahoe, we used smoke signals and sometimes mirrors or something else shiny to reflect the sun.

:lmao:

smoke? you guys had fire when you were at tahoe?

hjmick
01-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Lmao

Mr. P
01-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Oh you kids........

How about.....

Sputnik or

Polio vaccine on a sugar cube.

Yurt
01-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh you kids........

How about.....

Sputnik or

Polio vaccine on a sugar cube.

grandpa?

hjmick
01-24-2009, 11:29 PM
I remember the sugar cube. Sputnik was before my time.

Mr. P
01-24-2009, 11:35 PM
grandpa?

Not yet...thank Gawd! :laugh2:

hjmick
01-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Could we kindly avoid all talk of being or becoming a grandparent?

Yurt
01-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Could we kindly avoid all talk of being or becoming a grandparent?

you're not old are you? i mean, you had fire had tahoe....

hjmick
01-25-2009, 12:07 AM
you're not old are you? i mean, you had fire had tahoe....

Not too old. But with a 21 year old daughter and 25 year old pregnant step daughter... It takes a toll.

Yurt
01-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Not too old. But with a 21 year old daughter and 25 year old pregnant step daughter... It takes a toll.

i hope this saying is true....

you're as old as you think you are

Kathianne
01-25-2009, 02:40 AM
I remember the sugar cube. Sputnik was before my time.

We must be very close in age. :laugh2:

The above posts were cracking me up! I'm trying to remember if my parents had a microwave before I got married in 1980? I think shortly after. I do remember being impressed with my friend getting central air conditioning when we were kids.

I grew up in a house built in the late 1800's. When we were little, before kindergarten, an oil truck would deliver oil to heat it. Before that it was coal and there was a special room in the basement to hold the coal, that was converted to hold two oil tanks. Then the heating plant was changed to natural gas, so the special room was just a stinky closet in the basement.

One can learn a lot by looking at housing by ages.

I was always in awe of circuit breakers, our fuses were always 'blowing out.' My dad was like the father in "A Christmas Story", with the fuses and furnace, at least while I was in grammar school.

The house had a huge living room and dining room, no problem having a party of 50-75 people; except for the cooking, as the kitchen was about 1/4 size of the dining room. It did have a pantry that was nearly 1/2 the size of the kitchen. Oh, there were only 2 electrical outlets in the kitchen, the refrigerator was hooked up to one. All the other rooms had only one outlet in each, extension cords were a necessity. I think I was in 2nd grade when my mom had a total hissy fit and got an electrician out to add outlets, then fuses really started to blow! It was in late 70's that my parents had the house rewired and put in central air and good bye fuses.

Bedrooms were decent sized, but the closets were very tiny, easy to see that people did not have washers and dryers in 1870's. ;) Oh and 1 bathroom-:eek: Mornings were very interesting, luckily for me even then I was an early riser, I was always first in and I liked long baths! Why? Huge cast iron bathtub, big enough that even a 6" person could stretch out and be covered with warm water. As a kid, could 'swim' in it.

Off the kitchen were two rather elaborate porches. I remember one day coming home for lunch and asking my mom why the one had so much room, seemed it would have been part of the kitchen. It was to hold the 'ice', before there were refrigerators! In all the rooms there were these 'things' in the middle of the ceiling. Asked what those were about? When the lighting was 'gas' instead of electricity! Another :eek: moment in my young life.

I really think my interest in history grew out of living in an old house, in the midst of town that really built up in the 1940s-50's, but was still adding homes in the 60's and 70's. In some ways it was like having a foot in the past, while living in the present.

johnney
01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
too funny!
one of the kids i hunt with is 19 and i tease the hell out of him about it. but my wife is the best one when it comes to not knowning what older tv shows are. one of her mnagers sent her a text that said "what you talking bout willis?', and i had to explain the whole different strokes thing to her. life with her is fun to say the least.

Trigg
01-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Kids today are spoiled.

I didn't have central air till I was a Jr. before that we just hung out in the basement a lot. My mother had a stove put in down there, so she could do all her cooking and canning in the summer. The only window units were in the Kitchen and parents bedroom......see how much they cared about us kids :laugh2:.

I also remember biking 3 miles into town to play video games, space invaders and Mrs. Pacman.

Mr. P
01-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Kids today are spoiled.

I didn't have central air till I was a Jr. before that we just hung out in the basement a lot. My mother had a stove put in down there, so she could do all her cooking and canning in the summer. The only window units were in the Kitchen and parents bedroom......see how much they cared about us kids :laugh2:.

I also remember biking 3 miles into town to play video games, space invaders and Mrs. Pacman.

I used to hang in the studio with these two..Garcia was an unbelievable singer! I've always been disappointed that "Pac man fever" was a hit and some of the unbelievable stuff Garcia did was never heard by the public.
The music business is about business not music.

http://www.bucknergarcia.com/