PDA

View Full Version : 1.75M raised for black UCLA students

Yurt
03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
1.75M raised for black UCLA students

LOS ANGELES - A private group led by several prominent UCLA alumni has raised $1.75 million to fund scholarships for black freshmen, hoping the additional financial aid will help increase black enrollment

"We want to take finances out of the question for these students, to the extent we can," said Los Angeles businessman Peter J. Taylor, who heads the fundraising group, along with leaders of UCLA's Black Alumni Association.

The scholarships were being announced Thursday, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The number of black students at UCLA has been dropping for years. Last summer, only about 100 black students said they planned to enroll in the current freshman class of about 4,800 — the lowest figure in more than three decades.

Taylor and others said the scholarships were needed to help UCLA compete for top black students who might otherwise accept offers of admission — and financial aid — from private universities and out-of-state public schools that are not bound by California's Proposition 209, which bars the state's public institutions from considering race in admissions or hiring.

The group plans to make its first scholarship offers in the next few days and will give at least $1,000 to each admitted black freshman who enrolls. Additional awards will be based on financial need and academic merit.

Contributors to the fund included the Wasserman Foundation, which has donated $500,000; and Richard Ziman, a Los Angeles real estate executive, who has given $100,000.

*rolls eyes* (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070329/ap_on_re_us/ucla_black_enrollment)

5stringJeff
03-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Good for them. This is how such programs ought to work - through the free contributions of private donors, not through government programs.

Yurt
03-29-2007, 07:49 PM
The utter hypocrisy. They, yes "they", complain about the legacy factor, and now many universities are actually getting rid of this factor, they complain about the "rich" factor, yet now they are raising money specifically for a SET group of people. This is racism. They will NOT use this money for white people.

Imagine the reverse.

How anyone can defend this is beyond me.

Yurt
03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Good for them. This is how such programs ought to work - through the free contributions of private donors, not through government programs.

Agreed on government vs private, but the hypocrisy stinks.

5stringJeff
03-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Agreed on government vs private, but the hypocrisy stinks.

Yeah, I hear you on the "black only" aspect of the program.

Yurt
03-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I hear you on the "black only" aspect of the program.

It is really a sad state of affairs, and truly shows the "welfare" minded citizen. What is amazing is that they continue to vote for dems who want to perpetuate the welfare system. Wait, does the cart really follow the mule here, or does the cart pull the donkey?

The donkey knows what the cart wants and has in it, so the mule obliges.

And no, every word play was on purpose.

gabosaurus
03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Always a pleasure to read your total disdain and hatred toward non-white people. I suppose it should be unlawful to help people who might not be able to help themselves. Or perhaps the only financial aid we should offers to blacks is to exceptional athletes.
I am awaiting your plan to release poison gas in the ghettos. Or something equally as ignorant and racist.

Yurt
03-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Always a pleasure to read your total disdain and hatred toward non-white people. I suppose it should be unlawful to help people who might not be able to help themselves. Or perhaps the only financial aid we should offers to blacks is to exceptional athletes.
I am awaiting your plan to release poison gas in the ghettos. Or something equally as ignorant and racist.

Where did you READ my disdain and hatred toward non white people? You are claiming I said it, so bring it.

Your last two sentences show how racist you are. What, you don't think there are poor WHITE people? I guess not. You think ONLY non whites deserve this, whites, ah, who cares, they are white.

You are a racist pig.

Don't like those words, hmmm.

How about:

Equal

How about MLKJ:

I have a dream, that someday, my children will not be judged based upon the color of their skin.

How about:

White only scholarship. You must be at least 75% european descent to apply.

Do you think before you post?

Abbey Marie
03-29-2007, 10:22 PM

Are there no poor white folk out there that could really use the money for college? Latinos? Asians?

grunt
03-29-2007, 10:25 PM
I've already mentioned the impotent, PC lapdogs this nation is creating. In the very near future, NOTHING will be earned. It will be given to those who whine the most.

I don't have a problem with any private group of people giving to what or whom ever they want, I do care however that this is a one sided affair. I would never be allowed to create a whites only "Scholarship".

And people like gab-o-retard, or whatever her name is, just helps perpetuate the racism that exists today.

Trigg
03-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Compair the favorable coverage of the black scholarship to the racism claims levied against Boston University for the small scholarship offered to caucasian Americans.

College Republicans Offer $250 Scholarship for White Students at Boston U.
The College Republicans at Boston University are offering a $250 scholarship for BU students who exemplify “Caucasian Achievement and Recognition,” according to The Daily Free Press, a student newspaper at the university. The purpose of the stunt is to “trigger a discussion on what we believe to be the morally wrong practice of basing decisions in our schools and our jobs on racial preferences rather than merit,” the scholarship application says. A similar stunt was tried three years ago at Texas Tech University, where a student announced he was offering a $2,000 scholarship for white students from the “United White Persons College Fund.”

Hugh Lincoln
03-31-2007, 09:48 AM

Yes, I would have no problem with this, actually, if it were applied across the board. But blacks get good stuff coming and going, and whites get smacked in the face in the same directions. Whites are punished by the government through affirmative action, scholarships, admissions, contracts, programs, you name it. Blacks are helped. THEN, in the private sector, blacks get the same ton of goodies --- and if whites dare TRY, they are hit with lawsuits, jail, scorn, etc.

So. Y'all probably think I'm a racist white jerk, and maybe I am. But the more we get stuff like this, the more you see that I'm not completely crazy and evil.