PDA

View Full Version : My son's GOING TO HOLLYWOOD!!!!!

Little-Acorn
01-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Well, actually, he's not on American Idol. But he's doing the Pinewood Derby equivalent.

We had the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby races today for our Pack 629, and his car absolutely whooped ass on every other car there. He was the only one to not only break the 4-second barrier for an individual run, but he did it SIX TIMES in twelve runs, and was the only one to break 4 seconds for his total average time, to boot.

So now, he will go to the finals at Qualcomm Stadium in May for the Scout Fair, to represent the entire pack.

And no, I did NOT build his car. He did the entire thing, designing the body, cutting it out, sanding, painting, deburring and polishing the axles, adding weights, etc. I helped by starting one cut (count them, one), a long sweeping cut through the length of the pine block to cut out the body with a coping saw. I did the first 1/8", to make sure it started straight, and then handed him the saw. He did the rest of the 7-inch cut. And he did all else, including cutting a new groove closer to the end of the car for the front axles.

I'm so proud of him I could bust.

BTW, guess who one of the others he beat, was. Daddy built his own car, too, to run in Open Class. (There are two classes, Scout-built and Open. Scout-built is what it says, car must be built by the Cub Scout himself, parental help must be minimal or absent. Open Class can be built by anyone, parents, scouts, unameit. But most awards go to Scout-built cars, and only a scout-built car can go on to represent the pack at the Scout Fair.

But my son went on to sweep the entire series of races, coming in 1st in EVERY heat he ran in. His car and mine never ran head to head, but when the dust settled, he held the track record with a best-heat run of 3.967 sec. And guess who was tagging along a distant second, with a miserable 3.968 seconds.... dear old Dad.

Cub Scouting is a LOT of work, but it has its moments.

:) :) :)

Kathianne
01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Well, actually, he's not on American Idol. But he's doing the Pinewood Derby equivalent.

We had the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby races today for our Pack 629, and his car absolutely whooped ass on every other car there. He was the only one to not only break the 4-second barrier for an individual run, but he did it SIX TIMES in twelve runs, and was the only one to break 4 seconds for his total average time, to boot.

So now, he will go to the finals at Qualcomm Stadium in May for the Scout Fair, to represent the entire pack.

And no, I did NOT build his car. He did the entire thing, designing the body, cutting it out, sanding, painting, deburring and polishing the axles, adding weights, etc. I helped by starting one cut (count them, one), a long sweeping cut through the length of the pine block to cut out the body with a coping saw. I did the first 1/8", to make sure it started straight, and then handed him the saw. He did the rest of the 7-inch cut. And he did all else, including cutting a new groove closer to the end of the car for the front axles.

I'm so proud of him I could bust.

BTW, guess who one of the others he beat, was. Daddy built his own car, too, to run in Open Class. (There are two classes, Scout-built and Open. Scout-built is what it says, car must be built by the Cub Scout himself, parental help must be minimal or absent. Open Class can be built by anyone, parents, scouts, unameit. But most awards go to Scout-built cars, and only a scout-built car can go on to represent the pack at the Scout Fair.

But my son went on to sweep the entire series of races, coming in 1st in EVERY heat he ran in. His car and mine never ran head to head, but when the dust settled, he held the track record with a best-heat run of 3.967 sec. And guess who was tagging along a distant second, with a miserable 3.968 seconds.... dear old Dad.

Cub Scouting is a LOT of work, but it has its moments.

:) :) :)

:thumb: Great job! I loved the Pinewood Derby races, though my boys came in 5th or lower. Give him a high five for me!

jackass
01-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Hey congrats!! I am my sons den leader and you are right it is alot of work! There are way too many great moments to let that bother you though. Good luck in the Derby!

Mr. P
01-25-2009, 11:13 PM
For yer son: :clap::clap::clap:

For Dad: :beer: :thumb:

Trigg
01-26-2009, 09:20 AM
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My two youngest will race this Sat.

Last yr my 11yr old came in 2nd.

AFbombloader
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Any pictures of the cars? I always wnjoyed doing the derby with both my boys. They never won the race but did win the most original car a couple of times. Maybe I can dig up a picture ot two.

Little-Acorn
01-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Any pictures of the cars? I always wnjoyed doing the derby with both my boys. They never won the race but did win the most original car a couple of times. Maybe I can dig up a picture ot two.

I'll try to get some pix of the car. My digital camera was so excited at the race outcome, that it had a siezure and hasn't been very communicative since. It was a Sony that took everything we could dish out for four long years. We might get another soon, and it will be another Sony. The king is dead, long live the king.

Car's appearance is nothing to write home about. Most significant thing about the car, is what you can't see: The axles are polished to the nines. That is the single biggest thing we've found, that makes a pine car fast. Also, all the weights are stacked on a shelf behind the rear axle.

remie
01-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Would love to see some pics. I am in the process of helping my boys design and build their cars right now. It is a hoot!

Little-Acorn
12-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Here we go again. My son who swept it all in Jan. 2009, is now an Eagle Scout candidate, hopefully he will become an Eagle Scout in 2013 at age 14 or 15.

And his little brother, now 6 years old, is in his first year as a Tiger Cub Scout. And I just got back from picking up ***25*** Pinewood Derby car kits (each kit is just a box with a square block of wood, four cheap plastic wheels, and four little nails to act as axles) at the local Scout Shop, for the entire pack.

(sigh) time to clean off the workbench. Again.