PDA

View Full Version : For our Southern members

Abbey Marie
01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
If you are going to live or visit in the South, you need to know these rules:

1. That farm boy you see at the gas station did more work before breakfast than you do all week at the gym.

2. It's called a "gravel road." No matter how slow you drive, you're going to get dust on your Navigator. Drive it or get the hell out of the way.

3. The red dirt -- it's called clay. Red clay. If you like the color don't wash your car for a couple weeks -- it'll be permanent.

4. We all started hunting and fishing when we were seven years old. Yeah, we saw Bambi. We got over it.

5. Go ahead and bring your $600 Orvis Fly Rod. Don't cry to us if a flathead breaks it off at the handle. We have a name for those little 13-inch trout you fish for -- bait.

6. Pull your pants up. You look like an idiot.

7. If that cell phone rings while a bunch of mallards are making their final approach, we will shoot it. You might want to ensure it's not up to your ear at the time.

8. No, there's no "Vegetarian Special" on the menu. Order steak. Order it rare. Or, you can order the Chef's Salad and pick off the two pounds of ham and turkey.

9. Tea - yeah, we have tea. It comes in a glass over ice and is sweet. You want it hot -- sit it in the sun. You want it unsweetened -- add a lot of water.

10. You bring Coke into my house, it better be brown, wet, and served over ice.

11. So you have a sixty thousand-dollar car. We're real impressed. We have a quarter of a million-dollar combine that we only use two weeks a year.

12. Let's get this straight. We have one stoplight in town. We stop when it's red. We may even stop when it's yellow.

13. We eat dinner together with our families. We pray before we eat (yeah, even breakfast). We go to church on Wednesdays and Sundays and we go to
high school football games on Friday nights. We still address our seniors with "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am," and we sometimes still take Sunday drives
around town to see friends and neighbors.

14. We don't do "hurry up" well.

15. Greens - yeah, we have greens, but you don't putt on them. You boil them with salty fatback, bacon or a ham hock.

16. Yeah, we eat catfish, bass, bream and carp. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the bait shop.

17. They are pigs. That's what they smell like. Get over it. Don't like it? Interstate 95 goes two ways - Interstate 10 goes the other two. Pick one.

18. Grits are corn. You put butter, salt, and maybe even some pepper on them. If you want to put milk and sugar on them, then you want cream of wheat- go to North Carolina. That would be I-95 North.

19. The "Opener" refers to the first day of deer season or dove season. Both are holidays. You can get pancakes, cane syrup, and sausage before daylight at the church on either day.

20. So every person in every pickup waves? Yeah, it's called being friendly. Understand the concept?

21. Yeah, we have golf courses. Don't hit in the water hazards.It spooks the fish and bothers the gators -and if you hit it in the rough, we have these things called diamondbacks, and they're not baseball players.

22. That Highway Patrol Officer that just pulled you over for driving like an idiot -- his name is "Sir," no matter how young he is.

23. We have lots of pine trees. They have sap. It drips from them. You park your Navigator under them, and they'll leave a logo on your hood.

24. You burn an American flag in our state, you get beat up. No questions. The liberal contingent of our state legislature -- all four of them --enacted a measure to stop this. There is now a $2.50 fine for beating up the flag burner.

25. No, we don't care how you do things up North. If it is so great up there, why not visit a Northern state or stay there. And no, down here, we don't have an accent, you do.

Created By ©Angeal Doak

manu1959
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
ahhhhhh...makes me homesick for my mum's side of the family......

darin
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
I reckon you covered things just fine, darlin'. :)

Jeff
01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
That would about sum it up, growing up in the North east then relocating to the south I really see how true these statements are ,lol ( well most anyway) :thumb:

Mr. P
01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
That's great and very accurate! :thumb:

Gotta fix this one though..

16. Yeah, we eat catfish, bass, bream and crappie. You really want sushi and caviar? It's available at the bait shop.

johnney
01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
number 18 breakfast lunch and dinner!

Trigg
01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
. We don't do "hurry up" well.

Lord isn't this one true.

Moved to Michigan after living for 7yrs in FL and New Orleans, people move fast up here.

Psychoblues
01-28-2009, 10:30 PM
As having been born, raised and still residing in the South, I'd have to say that most of that shit is that, shit. Are you trying to be funny, abby, or were your motives more personally motivated?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Could I offer you some 'shine?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Kathianne
01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
As having been born, raised and still residing in the South, I'd have to say that most of that shit is that, shit. Are you trying to be funny, abby, or were your motives more personally motivated?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

PB, what do you have about Abbey? You attack at every post. I think you're better than that. In this case it was for the most part humorous, with a bit of 'truisms', so why attack?

Psychoblues
01-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Nothing particular, Kat. But I do not like mischaracterizations and in this case it is clear.

PB, what do you have about Abbey? You attack at every post. I think you're better than that. In this case it was for the most part humorous, with a bit of 'truisms', so why attack?

I wish you had come/would come to my defense as others here so mischaracterize me, I mean personally?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Jeesh, no attack intended, sweetie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's all the drama about?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Your Cosmos runnin' low?!?!?!?!?!????!?!?!

Psychoblues

Abbey Marie
01-28-2009, 11:36 PM

Yup. Every post. Imaginary offenses are made up just to be nasty.

It has reached the level of harassment.

Mr. P
01-28-2009, 11:45 PM

Nahhh just Psycho maybe. LOL.

BTW most of the things on the list are true..Psychoblues lives in Mississippi, I've been there many times, lets just say the gene pool is very shallow there. K?

Psychoblues
01-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Harrassment?

I hope you're beyond that, abby. But I doubt it.

Psychoblues

Jeff
01-29-2009, 10:07 AM

Psychoblues

Psycho not all are true but there are quite a few that are and the one's that are make me proud to say I live in the South, the respect the prayer the slow pace ( taking time to enjoy life) I for one take allot on the list as a compliment
:beer:

remie
01-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Hell I take most of them as a compliment..and Psyco, Ive been to Mississippi quite a bit to duck hunt and I can guarantee you that Ive seen most of this list in action there.