PDA

View Full Version : Nascar

Jeff
01-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Any nascar fans ? Any predictions ? Will Jimmy Johnson make history with 4 in a row, will Kyle Busch finally win a championship? It all starts in a week and a half, the Budweiser shootout is 2/7/09.

jimnyc
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
I think Jimmie, Edwards and Busch dominate again. Not sure if Jimmie can take a 4th or not, as everyone will be gunning for him, but I'll be rooting for him!

Mr. P
01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
You might be a Redneck if......You watch NASCAR. :eek:

manu1959
01-28-2009, 12:07 PM
love nascar.....johnson and his gang are just too good.....would like to see busch do well.....hope tony's new team doesn't suck....can't wait for the napa road race ...... one day i will make it to daytona....

Abbey Marie
01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I have no idea if Jimmie Johnson will win, but he sure is hot. :thumb:

Noir
01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I must say it is easily the most boring sport I have ever watched. I normaly quite like American sports, and regularly say up late to watch live ice hockey, baseball, basketball and American football, but I just can't watch NASCAR, when a racer called Montoya (sp?) moved from F1 to NASCAR I tried to follow him, but it was not possible.

Please someone, what is entertaining about watching folk go round and round and round and round...

manu1959
01-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I must say it is easily the most boring sport I have ever watched. I normaly quite like American sports, and regularly say up late to watch live ice hockey, baseball, basketball and American football, but I just can't watch NASCAR, when a racer called Montoya (sp?) moved from F1 to NASCAR I tried to follow him, but it was not possible.

Please someone, what is entertaining about watching folk go round and round and round and round...

nascar is cricket without the tea breaks ....

Noir
01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
nascar is cricket without the tea breaks ....

O.o

But cricket is unpredictable...I can't say the same about NASCAR, it's just round and round and...

Jeff
01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
O.o

But cricket is unpredictable...I can't say the same about NASCAR, it's just round and round and...

Noir I felt the same way until I watched for a while, ever driver has a different personality , and as far as being unpredictable I don't think any other sport could be as unpredictable, with blown tires , engines , wrecks due to someone else s fault, I know it isn't for everybody, but it took me years before I thought it was anything much more than guys going around in a circle. If ya ever go to a race , now that is something altogether different, the excitement there is unreal. Well if ya can ever get over being bored ya might just like what ya see.

Mr. P
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM

NASCAR...= Go straight turn left, go straight turn left. Wow how impressive. :eek:

Psychoblues
01-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Nascar is a bought and paid for by idiots sport. Have any of you visited your local short tracks?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? Here's one for you, jeff, the short track at Woodstock, Georgia!!!!!!!!!

Shane Clanton claims that at his local track. I've watched him many times in nationally competitive races and he shows well for his homeland!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Local short tracks is where Nascar came from and exactly where the future stars of Nascar will come. Support your local tracks as they are exactly where the roots you so earnestly seek are found and imbedded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I say 'shine, jeff, I ain't talkin' 'bout that cheapass North Georgia sugar whiskey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's strickly the genuine Corn variety in these whereabouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gulp:eek::eek::eek:, Holy Haysoos, that took my breath away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Jeff
01-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Nascar is a bought and paid for by idiots sport. Have any of you visited your local short tracks?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? Here's one for you, jeff, the short track at Woodstock, Georgia!!!!!!!!!

Shane Clanton claims that at his local track. I've watched him many times in nationally competitive races and he shows well for his homeland!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Local short tracks is where Nascar came from and exactly where the future stars of Nascar will come. Support your local tracks as they are exactly where the roots you so earnestly seek are found and imbedded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I say 'shine, jeff, I ain't talkin' 'bout that cheapass North Georgia sugar whiskey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's strickly the genuine Corn variety in these whereabouts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gulp:eek::eek::eek:, Holy Haysoos, that took my breath away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

LOL, I have had all kind of shine some good some not so good, as for short tracks I love them , I try and take the wife and kids at least a couple times a month, we usually go to Taccoa , or to the asphalt in lanier,A buddy of mine has been trying to get me to come to the Woodstock track for a while now , he moved to that side of GA and says it is great, but being a over the road trucker I usually don't have time , so I stay a bit more local, i like the dirt track's myself, and yes this is were allot of the nascar driver's start there careers , in fact the last time I saw Bill Elliot was in Jefferson he was there with his son, he is go carting right now, but I bet in the future you will see him on the big tracks , as for the cheap ass sugar whisky you refer to I bet if ya come up here to the local track I wouldn't have to twist your arm, lol :beer:

Immanuel
01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I used to be a NASCAR fan but when they introduced the Lucky Dog rule along with the last 10 races only the top 10 in points are eligible for the championship, I lost interest.

Immie

Jeff
01-29-2009, 03:52 PM
I used to be a NASCAR fan but when they introduced the Lucky Dog rule along with the last 10 races only the top 10 in points are eligible for the championship, I lost interest.

Immie

Allot lost interest cause of that , but before they started it everyone was screaming they needed to do something else cause Gordon was winning all the time , Now they have the chase and the fans are screaming again they need to change cause Johnson is winning it, lol, but if they hadn't changed to the chase Gordon would of had 6 championships by now ( so it really hurt him) as for the lucky dog they say it was un safe to race back to the flag, hell at 200 mile a hour how safe is any of it ? lol

Immanuel
01-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Allot lost interest cause of that , but before they started it everyone was screaming they needed to do something else cause Gordon was winning all the time , Now they have the chase and the fans are screaming again they need to change cause Johnson is winning it, lol, but if they hadn't changed to the chase Gordon would of had 6 championships by now ( so it really hurt him) as for the lucky dog they say it was un safe to race back to the flag, hell at 200 mile a hour how safe is any of it ? lol

I was a Gordon fan... now you know why I lost interest! :laugh2:

The Lucky Dog rule just takes a lot out of racing. Heck they might as well do like they do with Sprint cars. If there is an accident stop the race and then when everything is cleared up, wake the fans back up.

Immie

manu1959
02-15-2009, 01:24 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...daytona 500.....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet:cheers2:

Jeff
02-16-2009, 12:16 AM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...daytona 500.....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet:cheers2:

Dang manu I was all geared up for the 500 and then was disapointed , any race ending in a rain out stinks, and the fact that Jr. can still get away with the shit he pulls on the track just made me feel like it was a wasted day. I mean yesterday in the Nation wide race Lefler ( I think ) did the same thing Jr. did and had to sit for 5 laps, nascar needs to get more uniform with there penalties

But on the other hand the season has started !!!

:beer::beer::beer:

manu1959
02-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Dang manu I was all geared up for the 500 and then was disapointed , any race ending in a rain out stinks, and the fact that Jr. can still get away with the shit he pulls on the track just made me feel like it was a wasted day. I mean yesterday in the Nation wide race Lefler ( I think ) did the same thing Jr. did and had to sit for 5 laps, nascar needs to get more uniform with there penalties

But on the other hand the season has started !!!

:beer::beer::beer:

that rain out totally sucked....not a junior fan but i hate blockers worse.....vickers deserved to be punted......

Jeff
02-16-2009, 01:08 AM
that rain out totally sucked....not a junior fan but i hate blockers worse.....vickers deserved to be punted......

I agree but dis agree with nascar punishing one driver but not the other, ooo well you know it will all come out in the long run, oo and by the way I half ass like JR. just don't like to see anyone get away with BS

jimnyc
02-16-2009, 09:26 AM
I was pissed when they called it a day. JJ just got the lucky dog and was returned to the lead lap. And while he was 31st, he had nearly 50 laps to move up through the field.

:pee: Junior

manu1959
02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I agree but dis agree with nascar punishing one driver but not the other, ooo well you know it will all come out in the long run, oo and by the way I half ass like JR. just don't like to see anyone get away with BS

didn't see the other race......but i hate people that block.....vickers was about to get his doors blown off.....karma is a strange thing .... didn't vickers punt his own team mate last year in the same way ....

if you are going to block a guy going 10 miles per hour faster than you don't you expect to get hit.....

Jeff
02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
didn't see the other race......but i hate people that block.....vickers was about to get his doors blown off.....karma is a strange thing .... didn't vickers punt his own team mate last year in the same way ....

if you are going to block a guy going 10 miles per hour faster than you don't you expect to get hit.....

Hell manu 2 years ago ( Vickers only win )vickers wrecked Jimmy Johnson when JJ went to pass JR on the last lap at talladega and JR tried to block , JJ was still able to get around but Vickers ran into JJ and got him sideways and into JR , lol he wrecked his own team mate to get his 1 and only win.

Vickers in my eyes is a want to be driver and I don't care for the blocking either , but the blocking has been going on for a long time.

manu1959
02-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Hell manu 2 years ago ( Vickers only win )vickers wrecked Jimmy Johnson when JJ went to pass JR on the last lap at talladega and JR tried to block , JJ was still able to get around but Vickers ran into JJ and got him sideways and into JR , lol he wrecked his own team mate to get his 1 and only win.

Vickers in my eyes is a want to be driver and I don't care for the blocking either , but the blocking has been going on for a long time.

that was a classic ...... i agree vickers is a wanabe ..... i hate to say this but i am becoming a kyle busch fan ..... can't wait for the sonoma race...

Jeff
02-16-2009, 04:51 PM
that was a classic ...... i agree vickers is a wanabe ..... i hate to say this but i am becoming a kyle busch fan ..... can't wait for the sonoma race...

LOL I feel the same way about Kyle Busch, hell he is exciting to watch, he isnt afraid to try anything, I would say he will slow down after a bad wreck but he's been there done that, LOL, he will get a championship very soon I am sure.

gabosaurus
02-17-2009, 01:24 AM
Can someone please explain the appeal of car racing? Why are so many folks enthusiastic about watching cars drive in a circle for 2 or 3 hours at a time?

Jeff
02-17-2009, 07:34 AM
Can someone please explain the appeal of car racing? Why are so many folks enthusiastic about watching cars drive in a circle for 2 or 3 hours at a time?

gab I use to feel just the way you do, then I watched it for a bit, it isn't just going in circles for 2 or 3 hrs it is going in circles at 190 plus MPH for 2 or 3 hrs it is changing 4 tires fueling up and making adjustments to the car in 14 seconds.

Then ya have all the diffrent personalities , some drivers will wreck ya to win, others will throw there car around at 190 mph to manuver around another.

Then there is actually going to a race , the atmosphere is unreal, movie stars , famous muscian 's , hell I went to ATL a couple yrs ago , the private jets never stopped coming in , they would land and then be shuttled by helicopter to get to the track.

Allot of ppl don't understand it gab but ever race draws the same attendance (if not more ) than the super bowl.

So give it a chance watch it a couple times it may grow on ya , but then again maybe it won't , you know diffrent strokes for diffrent folks . :thumb:

Immanuel
02-17-2009, 07:53 AM

The accidents, strategy and the last 100 yards.

The accidents can be really cool to watch unless someone gets hurt.

Believe it or not, racing is not just driving around in circles for three hours, there is a lot of strategy that goes into a race actually beginning even before the race begins with the set up of the cars and lasting all the way through the end of the race.

But the best part of any race is the last 100 yards when it is a close race! Nothing more exciting in sports, except football, than a photo finish at a NASCAR race.

Immie

crin63
02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Nascar is gonna take a big hit in Oregon. People won't be able to afford to watch it any more with the 1900% beer tax their legislature is proposing. :cool:

gabosaurus
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I watched the Daytona 500 once when I was in college. With a bunch of other people. Most were really excited about it, but I failed to grasp the appeal. Same with the Indy 500.
I have had people tell me that they care more about specific drivers than the race itself. My uncle was a huge A.J. Foyt fan, because he was a proud native Texan.
I might watch another race sometime.

I do love Danica Patrick though. Gotta love a flat chested celebrity. Makes me feel better about myself. :D

Immanuel
02-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I watched the Daytona 500 once when I was in college. With a bunch of other people. Most were really excited about it, but I failed to grasp the appeal. Same with the Indy 500.
I have had people tell me that they care more about specific drivers than the race itself. My uncle was a huge A.J. Foyt fan, because he was a proud native Texan.
I might watch another race sometime.

I do love Danica Patrick though. Gotta love a flat chested celebrity. Makes me feel better about myself. :D

Something tells me you were not drinking enough beer when you watched the race. It helps.

I like to watch the start of the race, then lay down with a good book until I fall asleep and open an eye whenever the crowd noise goes up. You see all the good parts of the race, enjoy a good book and catch up on the missing zzzzzzzzzzzz's

Of course, if you fall to far asleep you may miss some of the good parts, but then, there is always SportsCenter after the race.

Immie

manu1959
02-17-2009, 03:20 PM

drive out to fontana this weekend and check it out.....make sure to get a pit pass.....

Jeff
02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
drive out to fontana this weekend and check it out.....make sure to get a pit pass.....

manu I got a pit pass here in ATL. and I would never do it again , they treated us like we were criminals, you could only look from the fence at the garages , and ever so often security would tell ya to move on, then during practice Jimmy Spencer pulled in and wouldn't even smile to all the fans yelling his name ( I don't like him till this day)

But on the other hand they let ya roam around ( I think it was until 2 hrs before race time on Sunday) know that was cool, got allot of good pics

manu1959
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
manu I got a pit pass here in ATL. and I would never do it again , they treated us like we were criminals, you could only look from the fence at the garages , and ever so often security would tell ya to move on, then during practice Jimmy Spencer pulled in and wouldn't even smile to all the fans yelling his name ( I don't like him till this day)

But on the other hand they let ya roam around ( I think it was until 2 hrs before race time on Sunday) know that was cool, got allot of good pics

i got one at sonoma........it was cool....my son got a pic up on tony stewarts pit box.....having a little kid with you is key.....

Jeff
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
i got one at sonoma........it was cool....my son got a pic up on tony stewarts pit box.....having a little kid with you is key.....

LOL, yes I bett a little one would help, I had my wife with me and the crew from the M & M( I think) tried hitting on here , giving her candy and telling her to look in the car, but me, hell they just chased me away as soon as I got close, lol, I guess it was cool now that I think of it, that night with the wife and the M&M crew they were handing out shocks and inspections, I did get some up close pics of the cars , hell they look like something sure enough flies,lol

glockmail
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
As an aside, why is this in the "sports" forum? Doesn't it belong under "entertainment"?

gabosaurus
02-24-2009, 12:17 PM
I can agree that car racing is a sports. It is competitive. I will never understand why pro wrestling is considered sports. Since it is more Broadway than athletics. Anything pre-arranged and staged is not a "sport."

Immanuel
02-24-2009, 12:37 PM
I can agree that car racing is a sports. It is competitive. I will never understand why pro wrestling is considered sports. Since it is more Broadway than athletics. Anything pre-arranged and staged is not a "sport."

Agree with you there.

In the same light, figure skating and Gymnastics are not sports, while they are art, they are not sports. Anything that requires the participant to give good BJ's in order to win is not a sport. ;) The scoring is based on nothing more than how pleased the judges are with the artist.

Immie

glockmail
02-24-2009, 07:02 PM
I can agree that car racing is a sports. It is competitive. I will never understand why pro wrestling is considered sports. Since it is more Broadway than athletics. Anything pre-arranged and staged is not a "sport." Chess is competitive too, and due to the rules of NASCAR, the end result is more or less pre-arranged.

glockmail
02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Agree with you there.

In the same light, figure skating and Gymnastics are not sports, while they are art, they are not sports. Anything that requires the participant to give good BJ's in order to win is not a sport. ;) The scoring is based on nothing more than how pleased the judges are with the artist.

Immie Are you accusing the IOC of raping adolescent girls?

Mr. P
02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Chess is competitive too, and due to the rules of NASCAR, the end result is more or less pre-arranged.

Hey, just like pro wrestling! It's :lame2: to consider either a "sport" IMO.

glockmail
02-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Hey, just like pro wrestling! It's :lame2: to consider either a "sport" IMO. At least with wrasslin' you have to get up off your ass. *shrug*

Mr. P
02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
At least with wrasslin' you have to get up off your ass. *shrug*

So does a choirs line dancer on Broadway. That ain't a sport either. :poke:

Immanuel
02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Are you accusing the IOC of raping adolescent girls?

Um, last time I checked the dictionary, rape required an unwilling participant.

Although, Child molestation charges might be appropriate.

But, technically, no, I was using the term BJ simply to get the point across. You can only win in those arts if the judges happen to like you more than everyone else. You could have a stunning performance, yet end up out of the running simply because you are Russian and Russia happens to be on the outs with the judges this particular time of the season.

Figure skating and Gymnastics are not sports. They are forms of art.

Immie

glockmail
02-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Um, last time I checked the dictionary, rape required an unwilling participant. ...Perhaps you should check the law, as sex with a minor, willing or not, is rape.

Immanuel
02-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Perhaps you should check the law, as sex with a minor, willing or not, is rape.

Actually, I see your point, statutory rape is still rape.

Immie

manu1959
02-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Perhaps you should check the law, as sex with a minor, willing or not, is rape.

only you could wreck a nascar thread.....fucking hell......

Immanuel
02-24-2009, 08:36 PM

Was this a NASCAR thread? Damn I forgot!

I think I wrecked it when I made the comment about figure skating.

Back on topic.

Go 24!!!!!!!

Immie

Mr. P
02-24-2009, 09:08 PM

Was this a NASCAR thread? Damn I forgot!

I think I wrecked it when I made the comment about figure skating.

Back on topic.

Go 24!!!!!!!

Immie

Crap!

Go straight turn left, Go straight turn left, Go straight turn left, Go straight turn left..

There. All better now Manu? :laugh2:

manu1959
02-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Crap!

Go straight turn left, Go straight turn left, Go straight turn left, Go straight turn left..

There. All better now Manu? :laugh2:

down force .... traction control .... on board computers......they have drivers why.......

Mr. P
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
down force .... traction control .... on board computers......they have drivers why.......

So when they crash people can watch for life.:poke:

Immanuel
02-24-2009, 09:17 PM

"I hope that damned right front tire holds out!" "

"I hope Tony Stewart doesn't clip me in the left rear quarter panel... again!"

"Crash in two on the apron. He's coming back up the track. Go low! Go Low!!! Wait, he's coming back down... Go high! Go High!! I said high not through him!"

Immie

Psychoblues
02-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Check out a local dirt track. 20 - 25 races in 4 or so hours, the competition is tremendously intense and the talent is every bit as much as anything you'll ever see on any nascrap track!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Added benefit, $8 - $15 tickets for GREAT shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The GOP,,,The Party Of Fear And Loathing,,,sad,,,,,,,

Psychoblues

Jeff
02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
I raced all the way to NJ Sunday to catch the race in time and it stunk, I sat at a truck stop in my truck in front of a 13 inch tv watching it, just waiting for something exciting to happen and nothing, even the finish was just so - so,

But with that said yes nascar is a sport ( at least I think so) as for the dirt tracks , love them to psycho :thumb:

Oooh well to each his own