PDA

View Full Version : Obama Says Washingtonians Are Snow Wimps

red states rule
01-28-2009, 12:08 PM
This should play well with all the Obama supporters in DC

Published: January 28, 2009

WASHINGTON -- The commander in chief is taking a friendly poke at Washington's reaction to the winter storm.

President Barack Obama says his daughters' school was closed today, "because of what? Some ice?" His remarks drew laughs after some more serious talk about the economy.

Obama says his children pointed out that "in Chicago, school is never canceled." He says he'll have to instill some Chicago toughness into Washingtonians.

The Obama daughters attend Sidwell Friends School, which was closed today, along with many schools in the region. The D.C. Public Schools, however, opened two hours late.

-- The Associated Press

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/national/article/SNOWGAT28_20090128-113701/191038/

Yurt
01-28-2009, 12:37 PM
chicago probably feeds his kids nails too...

nah, it was a joke, when i first moved back to cali from the nw, i made fun of the "cold" californians all the time

red states rule
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
chicago probably feeds his kids nails too...

nah, it was a joke, when i first moved back to cali from the nw, i made fun of the "cold" californians all the time

I know what he was saying. Around the DC area, anything over 3 snow flakes or 2 rain drops - the entire city shuts down

The Beltway is one huge parking lot

These people do not have a clue on how to drive in rain/snow

Noir
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Gawd help the man, he can't even make a joke and you're down his throat rsr

I memo when I first started traveling over to England, were it averages about 5 degrees C above were I live, the folk I was with were amazed to see me walkin around in a T-shirt in what they called cold but I called a nice day.

red states rule
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Gawd help the man, he can't even make a joke and you're down his throat rsr

I memo when I first started traveling over to England, were it averages about 5 degrees C above were I live, the folk I was with were amazed to see me walkin around in a T-shirt in what they called cold but I called a nice day.

How can you say I am down his throat? Did you read my reply to Yurt?

Noir, I know you are in school so please take a remedial reading courses

Noir
01-28-2009, 01:00 PM
How can you say I am down his throat? Did you read my reply to Yurt?

Noir, I know you are in school so please take a remedial reading courses

You replied to yurt as I was typing my response, ergo I didn't see it, and in the OP the only cOmment you made was of how it would go down well with Obama supporters, which is dripping in sarcasm(sp?)

red states rule
01-28-2009, 01:03 PM
You replied to yurt as I was typing my response, ergo I didn't see it, and in the OP the only cOmment you made was of how it would go down well with Obama supporters, which is dripping in sarcasm(sp?)

Libs in DC are very sensitive, and easily offended

Trigg
01-28-2009, 03:23 PM
We got snow all the way down in Tampa one year. Only a little, not even an inch. EVERYTHING shut down, crashes everywhere. People down south have no idea how to handle the stuff.

We got 6 inches last night, it was a bit of a pain getting to work today, but at least we didn't get the 10-15 south of us. :dance:

I only live 6 miles from work, it took me almost a 1/2 hour to make the trip, but at least I wasn't late.

red states rule
01-28-2009, 03:25 PM
We got snow all the way down in Tampa one year. Only a little, not even an inch. EVERYTHING shut down, crashes everywhere. People down south have no idea how to handle the stuff.

We got 6 inches last night, it was a bit of a pain getting to work today, but at least we didn't get the 10-15 south of us. :dance:

I only live 6 miles from work, it took me almost a 1/2 hour to make the trip, but at least I wasn't late.

We got about 5 inches of snow followed by 1/4 inch of ice

Accidents everywhere, schools closed, and alot of companies opening late

In this case, Pres Obama is correct when he talks about snow. People in this area do not how to drive in it

Ice is another matter. I do not care what you drive, you can't drive on ice

Kathianne
01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Heck even in Chicago we've gotten wimpy! ;) As a suburban teacher, I'm all for it. In fairness, I don't know about U of C lab school, where Obama's kids went, but Chicago public schools do not shut down, they herd the kids into the gym with whatever staff can show up.

The suburban schools close, if the snow hits early morning over 4" because of buses. Not like the olden days, we got out of school around 2 o'clock on this day, had to walk home the mile and a half. Good thing though, school was even canceled on Monday! (Only 'snow day' in my memory):

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/events/chisnow1967.htm

Gaffer
01-28-2009, 07:40 PM
We had a quarter inch of ice rain, then four inches of snow followed by 2 inches of ice and another 6 inches of snow. Everything was shut down. The four counties around us were at level 3 snow emergencies. Which means if you don't have official business to be out in it you get arrested.

Kathianne
01-28-2009, 08:06 PM
We had a quarter inch of ice rain, then four inches of snow followed by 2 inches of ice and another 6 inches of snow. Everything was shut down. The four counties around us were at level 3 snow emergencies. Which means if you don't have official business to be out in it you get arrested.

I guess I'm lucky we didn't have ice, prayers and all nice thoughts for accident free days to you all!

Binky
01-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Unless you live and work in a snowbound state, you will not know how to drive in that stuff, or on ice, for that matter. It's the same in Texas. Not being a state that would normally get snow, so if and when it does, the people become "white knuckle" drivers, meaning, they grasp the steering wheel so tightly that their knuckles turn white while driving all the way through the mess.

Being from Michigan, I know better than to drive fast on messy roads or to slam on my brakes. Both will send you flying into oblivion, up someones rear end, off into a tree, over a cliff or land you in a lake somewhere. All of which seem a bit unhealthy to me. I certainly don't care to hear any crash, boom, bangs while I'm out in my vehicle.

LiberalNation
01-29-2009, 01:25 PM
my powers out and schools closed here. freakin cold, the generator will run a few lights but not the heater.

DannyR
01-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Sure you can. You just need one of these:

http://thunewatch.squarespace.com/storage/zamboni%20cropped.jpg

red states rule
01-29-2009, 03:11 PM

Sure you can. You just need one of these:

http://thunewatch.squarespace.com/storage/zamboni%20cropped.jpg

That will help traffic moving on the Beltway :laugh2: