PDA

View Full Version : The Hidden Casualties Of War

LiberalNation
01-28-2009, 08:20 PM
beat a baby and rape his wife but he's protected and unpunished till he actually goes awol and the military stops protecting him.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/28/eveningnews/main4761199.shtml?tag=topStory;topStoryHeadline

CBS) It can be as deadly as combat: Domestic violence in the U.S. military.

Nineteen-year-old Spc. Brandon Bare is accused of killing his own wife.

Jessacia Patton is a survivor.

"I had bruising on my head, cuts under my eyes and lips and my whole body was like a big bruise," Patton told CBS News anchor Katie Couric.

When Spc. Lenny McIntire returned to Fort Lewis, Wash., his wife says he was a changed man.

After his second tour of duty in Iraq with the Army Rangers, she says he wasn't sleeping and he was filled with anger -- especially when his infant daughter would cry.

"Any noise that she made just bothered him," Patton said. "He said it reminded him too much of Iraq and the kids that he shot and the screaming - he couldn't take it."

That anger turned to violence. He pleaded guilty to child abuse after beating three-month old Bella.

Then, a few months later in a drunken rage, threatening her with a gun, he attacked and raped his wife.

"I probably laid there for about an hour and just cried," she said. "I had given up. I didn't care if he came in and killed me, I mean, I was broken."

As a result, McIntire was jailed for only one night, given extra duty and ordered to sleep in the barracks.

Patton sought help from the chaplain, the Ranger Battalion as well as McIntire's commanding officers - but found no answers.

Couric asked her: "What do you think is the major flaw in the way the military - at least in your experience - deals with domestic violence?"

"I think the spouses don't get enough attention," she said. "When a soldier beats his wife, the wife falls through the cracks. They make it very impossible to get through the system and get anything done."

It wasn't until Lenny McIntire threatened his fellow soldiers and went AWOL that the Army decided to press charges. Three weeks ago, he was sentenced to seven years in a military prison.

CBS News spoke to several military family advocates who say the system is broken, under-funded and under-staffed.

This former advocate did not want to be identified for fear of retribution.

"I think the Pentagon needs to step in and start a better training program for their commanders," the former advocate said.

Lynn McCollum is the Army director of family affairs.

Couric asked her: "According to conversations with a number of victims' advocates, the Army usually rallies around the soldiers and leaves the victim to fend for herself. And then when she finally does get help, the complaint is the system is entirely stacked against her."

"It's disturbing to hear those kinds of comments," McCollum said. "Over the last couple of years, we've really put into place and increased the number of victim advocates that we have available for victims. I think one of our biggest challenges, because we're a large bureaucracy, is getting information out."

It's not only the victims that aren't getting help, it's also the soldiers. CBS News has learned that in case after case, soldiers returning from Iraq or Afghanistan have raised red flags regarding their mental health problems that are often ignored - with devastating consequences.

In a post-deployment health assessment obtained by CBS News, one soldier clearly indicates concerns "for potential conflict with his spouse or family members" and that he might "hurt or lose control with someone." No treatment was given.

A year later, he killed his wife.

"How can this happen? He put it right there on the questionnaire, and nobody did anything about it. How can that happen if you have all these systems and services in place?" Couric asked.

McCollum didn't answer immediately, instead, getting up to confer with colleagues for an answer.

After discussing the incident with her colleagues, McCollum returned to answer the question.

"Obviously, I think in this situation, a mistake was probably made," McCollum said.

Then there is the case of Sgt. James Pitts.

Tomorrow in an exclusive interview he tells CBS News how the military failed to help him or protect his army wife.

As he told Couric: "I've lost everything."

Little-Acorn
01-28-2009, 08:26 PM
What proportion of the male military population abuse their wives and kids?

And, what proportion fo the male civilian population abuse their wives and kids?

It often turns out that the problem is worse in the civilian population, than in the military.

Which exposes attempts by people like LN to slander the military, as the disingenuous, one-sided propaganda is often is.

LiberalNation
01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
is the military sposed to be better than the civilian pop, do the police protect the civilian rapist cuz they're their troops......

manu1959
01-28-2009, 08:56 PM
if they are hidden...how do you know about them....

Yurt
01-28-2009, 09:18 PM
if they are hidden...how do you know about them....

:lol:

Kathianne
01-28-2009, 09:47 PM
is the military sposed to be better than the civilian pop, do the police protect the civilian rapist cuz they're their troops......

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think the military is supposed to be 'better' than civilian population, just usually is. A factor of those that serve. Are there bad eggs? Undoubtedly. Can't come close to those that willingly serve with honor.

Psychoblues
01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Actually, the military attracts thieves, thugs and otherwise undesireables in many cases. Even judges often offer young offenders jail or military. Many choose the military.

This is a subject that would take a book or two to fully examine and I haven't met many on this site that would be willing to spend that kind of time on the truth of it.

Something else to confuse you?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

LiberalNation
01-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think the military is supposed to be 'better' than civilian population, just usually is. A factor of those that serve. Are there bad eggs? Undoubtedly. Can't come close to those that willingly serve with honor.

okay then, I'm happy enough to not hold them at a higher standard as long as they don't get more protections.

5stringJeff
01-29-2009, 06:23 PM
We often included "don't beat your wife" as part of the weekend safety briefing. We said it because we knew that some soldier somewhere would be stupid enough to go and do it. And that was before everyone was getting deployed multiple times.

If the woman's story is true - and it would seem that it is, given the seven-year sentence - then he's gotten what he deserves.

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 04:29 AM
I've had 2 (two) brothers die in very young ages from their problems developed in the Viet Nam war. Neither of their names are on the wall. There are hundreds of thousands more very similar to them. Think about it.

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
02-07-2009, 04:51 AM
I think war is hell. I also think that the vast majority doesn't have a clue as to how much HELL it really is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I suppose prison is the answer for most of you. I think there is something much more complicated and deserving of professional attention going on here.

PS. I don't beat my wife.

Psychoblues