PDA

View Full Version : Going Protectionist

Kathianne
01-30-2009, 06:28 AM
None of this is going to turn out pleasant:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/28/AR2009012804002.html

'Buy American' Rider Sparks Trade Debate
Proviso Limits Steel, Iron From Abroad
By Anthony Faiola
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 29, 2009; A01

The stimulus bill passed by the House last night contains a controversial provision that would mostly bar foreign steel and iron from the infrastructure projects laid out by the $819 billion economic package.

A Senate version, yet to be acted upon, goes further, requiring, with few exceptions, that all stimulus-funded projects use only American-made equipment and goods.

Proponents of expanding the "Buy American" provisions enacted during the Great Depression, including steel and iron manufacturers and labor unions, argue that it is the only way to ensure that the stimulus creates jobs at home and not overseas.

Opponents, including some of the biggest blue-chip names in American industry, say it amounts to a declaration of war against free trade. That, they say, could spark retaliation from abroad against U.S. companies and exacerbate the global financial crisis.

The provisions also confront President Obama with his first test on trade policy. He must weigh the potential consequences of U.S. protectionism against the appealing slogan of "Buy American" and the jobs argument....

Classact
01-30-2009, 07:41 AM
President Bush warned about returning to the 1930's protectionist agenda and here we go.

The entire world is blaming America for the sub-prime toxic debt that has effected their countries and now we have the guts to be selfish? I guess we will pay ten times the cost for solar panels over what they can be produced in China too... How's Obama say it, jobs that can't be exported, solar panels can be made any where in the world cheaper than in America.

I support made in America but the way to make things in America is to first make our energy dirt cheap, drill and build nuclear power plants, build hydro electric damns and make energy dirt cheap. Then stop taxing businesses to death, welcome then to America and allow the states to offer them free land, water and electricity to set up shop in their state... then you can buy American if you can keep the god damned unions from raising the prices out of competition levels.

DannyR
01-30-2009, 10:07 AM
The stimulus bill passed by the House last night contains a controversial provision that would mostly bar foreign steel and iron from the infrastructure projects laid out by the $819 billion economic package.

Ultimately any stimulus package can't be isolationist, because our economy is no longer based on just our own people. Almost every large corporation has international ties nowadays. Stimulating our own economy while hurting foreigners won't solve our problems, because our economy depends on the success of others as well. Baring foreign steel will harm places like China, a huge steel exporter and one of our largest trading partners. Such tactics also decrease the value of the dollar worldwide as well, pushing gas prices back up again.

I support made in America but the way to make things in America is to first make our energy dirt cheap, drill and build nuclear power plants, build hydro electric damns and make energy dirt cheap.

Agree with you that the US should become much more of an energy producer, but nuclear power is second only to solar in cost, and thats not even considering the long term pollution issues. I'm a fan of nukes, but its not the solution for "cheap" energy, and the legal battles alone make it a nightmare to push toward.

I think hydro has pretty much been used in all the easily done areas as well.

One source we've neglected is wind. Based on studies I've seen, the US has enough wind energy to totally replace all current energy sources 3 times over. Wind energy as well is the cleanest we can hope for and can't be stopped by foreign nations embargo or risk of war. The push should be on building wind farms from coast to coast. Much more attractive and far far cleaner than the pumping oil well I grew up with in my grandparent's back yards too, or rigs visible off our coasts, and far cheaper to implement than nuclear.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Cents_Per_Kilowatt-Hour