PDA

View Full Version : Schwarzenegger's bid to suspend environmental rules

crin63
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
So when its convenient and theres federal money out there, the environment doesn't matter I guess.

snip

As Schwarzenegger and lawmakers struggle to contain a ballooning deficit, he has insisted that any budget deal include a provision suspending state environmental review for certain public works projects.

The governor said that would fast-track infrastructure projects and put Californians back to work quickly. He said his proposal would accelerate construction on 10 road projects around the state, noting at a recent news conference: "It's about jobs, jobs, jobs."

His demand has been one of the main sticking points in budget negotiations that so far have failed to produce a solution to the state's deficit, despite three special legislative sessions. California's shortfall is expected to reach nearly $42 billion by June 2010 unless lawmakers act to close it.

Last week, Schwarzenegger vetoed a Democratic budget proposal, in part because it lacked the environmental rollbacks he and many in the business community desire.

Schwarzenegger also has asked President-elect Barack Obama to exempt road construction from key federal environmental reviews as part any congressional economic stimulus package.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/37626994.html

5stringJeff
01-31-2009, 09:26 AM
I read in the WSJ today that California is hemorraging jobs due to the state's new cap and trade regulations. I wouldn't be surprised if CA lost a few seats in Congress due to people moving out of the state.

crin63
01-31-2009, 10:24 AM
I read in the WSJ today that California is hemorraging jobs due to the state's new cap and trade regulations. I wouldn't be surprised if CA lost a few seats in Congress due to people moving out of the state.

Thats good, California needs to fail and go bankrupt except then the fed will buy it up like a bank and stick it to the rest of America.