PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the ASPCA?

-Cp
01-30-2009, 04:52 PM
This seems like a HUGE waste of tax dollars... Our Tax Dollars? REALLY?

http://www.aspca.org/

The ClayTaurus
01-30-2009, 04:58 PM

http://www.aspca.org/Why do you feel it's a huge waste of tax dollars?

LiberalNation
01-30-2009, 04:58 PM
what else are you gona do with all the strays......

The ClayTaurus
01-30-2009, 05:06 PM
what else are you gona do with all the strays......Foodbank.

LiberalNation
01-30-2009, 05:21 PM
lol, we love our pets here, even the mildly poor wouldn't eat them.

The ClayTaurus
01-30-2009, 05:32 PM
lol, we love our pets here, even the mildly poor wouldn't eat them.Sausage.

Mr. P
01-30-2009, 05:36 PM
lol, we love our pets here, even the mildly poor wouldn't eat them.

History would prove you wrong..In fact history would show people will even eat people if necessary.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2009, 09:40 PM
I'd especially like to see no-kill shelters get more money.

Kathianne
01-30-2009, 09:53 PM

From the government or donors?

LiberalNation
01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
History would prove you wrong..In fact history would show people will even eat people if necessary.

I said us mildly poor, they aren't hungry enough.

5stringJeff
01-31-2009, 10:03 AM
The government shouldn't be involved with sheltering animals at all.

LiberalNation
01-31-2009, 10:08 AM
it's one of those necessery services, like sewege service to keep the shit off the streets.

5stringJeff
01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
it's one of those necessery services, like sewege service to keep the shit off the streets.

For a local government, perhaps. Not the federal government.

Abbey Marie
01-31-2009, 01:50 PM
The government shouldn't be involved with sheltering animals at all.

Why not?

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 01:56 PM
Why not?

Because there is no way that the federal government is given the enumerated powers to deal with pets. Now if the states want to and their citizens agree, go for it. Seems more a city or country/parish concern IMO.

Abbey Marie
01-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Because there is no way that the federal government is given the enumerated powers to deal with pets. Now if the states want to and their citizens agree, go for it. Seems more a city or country/parish concern IMO.

Jeff said "The government", without specifying Federal or State. Anyway, the federal govenrment is involvdd in a gazillion other things no so enumerated. Why would anyone focus on this problem in particular?

Nukeman
01-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Jeff said "The government", without specifying Federal or State. Anyway, the federal government is involved in a gazillion other things no so enumerated. Why would anyone focus on this problem in particular?
You do have a point. they do after all mandate "endangered species" and the like all the time. That comes from the federal level.

Personally I think it should be a local municipality issue, not a federal one. If an area is being overrun with unwanted dogs and cats that is their issue to take care of. Why should I living in another area that has intelligent and respectful people who spay/neuter their animals and keep an eye on them have to pay for others inattentiveness???

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Jeff said "The government", without specifying Federal or State. Anyway, the federal govenrment is involvdd in a gazillion other things no so enumerated. Why would anyone focus on this problem in particular?

IMO, they shouldn't be. That is one of the things I thought we 'conservatives' were fighting against.

Seriously, in the past few days I've become depressed, reading about all the things folks want the government to include in any 'bailout' schemes, including those on the right.

I'm for getting back to the fed doing what was assigned to them, by the constitution. If states or lesser governmental entities want to get to dealing with individuals minutia, more power to them in holding office.

LiberalNation
01-31-2009, 02:54 PM
in an economic situation the feds are the only ones big enough to do anything about it.

You may have a pension working in the school system but could you imagine the old folks freezing to death right now without social security.

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 02:57 PM
in an economic situation the feds are the only ones big enough to do anything about it.

You may have a pension working in the school system but could you imagine the old folks freezing to death right now without social security.

Do about what LN? Smoking, pets, bailouts, gay marriage, reparations?

LiberalNation
01-31-2009, 03:01 PM
feds doing stuff not authorized in the constitution.....

5stringJeff
01-31-2009, 03:34 PM

To clarify: the federal government is not given the power to fund animal shelters. The federal government could certainly pass laws against animal cruelty, though.
State and local governments certainly may choose to support the ASPCA with funding; however, I think it's an unwise use of funds.

Abbey Marie
01-31-2009, 04:50 PM
I have no problem with it being state or local vs. federally funded. However, I would hate to see us go back to the bad old days of starving animals wandering the streets, or animal abuse going unpunished because of lack of funds.

I would hope that no one would be able to see that and be ok with it. Compassion for all beings is really not that hard, is it? Especially for those, like children and animals, who have no choice.

dan
01-31-2009, 04:55 PM
I have no problem with it being a state or local vs. federally funded. However, I would hate to see us go back to the bad old days of starving animals wandering the streets, or animal abuse going unpunished becasue of lack of funds.

It's not like animal abuse is really strongly punished now (unless you're an NFL quarterback). If you ever watch Animal Police on Animal Planet (I wouldn't recommend it, but I had a roommate who used to watch it), you see abuse cases where the state that the animals are in is just nauseating, and the owner gets a $200 fine or something like that. It makes me sick. I know this is the bleeding-heart liberal in me coming out, but animal abuse cases make me more sick than human-on-human violence, by a mile.

Abbey Marie
01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
It's not like animal abuse is really strongly punished now (unless you're an NFL quarterback). If you ever watch Animal Police on Animal Planet (I wouldn't recommend it, but I had a roommate who used to watch it), you see abuse cases where the state that the animals are in is just nauseating, and the owner gets a $200 fine or something like that.

Like many crimes, the percentage of convictions is probably low. I agree that the fines should be higher. But it is still important to have the laws and to enforce them as much as you can. There must be some level of deterrence. People are sick.

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 04:59 PM
To clarify: the federal government is not given the power to fund animal shelters. The federal government could certainly pass laws against animal cruelty, though.
State and local governments certainly may choose to support the ASPCA with funding; however, I think it's an unwise use of funds.

Agreed. I give money to my local shelter, I've done so over 20 years. Do not think the government on any level should be subsidizing. There are animal lovers galore in US that will give.

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 05:25 AM
ASPCA is an excellent organization IMHO, Kat. Until recently my little Mississippi town just shot and killed feral or stray cats and dogs, not to mention the coons, possums, skunks, etc. ASPCA came into town and now we have a no-kill shelter supported by most of our community organizations and general population. The ASPCA even helped us get a local vet to agree to services at low or no cost and I feel much better now about how we handle the problem of yet unwanted animals and our abilities to find wanting and adequate homes for them. ASPCA is a modern day miracle for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosmos?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

HayesJr
10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
The governement should have a stronger hand on encouraging people to get their pets neutered!

HogTrash
10-27-2009, 01:40 PM

http://www.aspca.org/Left unchecked, stray animals can be destructive, a nuisance and a danger to our families, especially our children.

My only problem is when government agencies become too intrusive into our personal lives, like most seem to do.

cat slave
11-24-2009, 02:43 AM

Do you know about Nathan Winograds "no kill advocacy" movement?

Animals should always survive the rescue and killing is wrong! Spay/neuter
saves lives through prevention.

cat slave
11-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Left unchecked, stray animals can be destructive, a nuisance and a danger to our families, especially our children.

My only problem is when government agencies become too intrusive into our personal lives, like most seem to do.

Hog, you dont just cull animals because humans have been irresponsible.

A lot of kids grow up to be dangerous to everyone but they shouldnt be
given up on....life matters and should not be taken lightly.

Coyotes however are up for discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cat slave
11-24-2009, 02:51 AM

Any form of government "support" would screw it up like they have everything
else.

Private shelters and humane associations are the answer to most of animal
issues. Education and low cost spay/neuter are where its at...believe me...
Ive been in this arena for longer than I want to think about.:eek:

cat slave
11-24-2009, 03:02 AM
The governement should have a stronger hand on encouraging people to get their pets neutered!

If there are taxpayer funded animal controls, they should be operating with
humane and efficient policies.
Surplus animals are a drain on taxpayers
money and to work toward low cost spay/neuter is a cost saving measure
even if compassion is not a consideration.

Hey, whatever works!

crin63
11-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Government shouldn't be involved except maybe in the case of maltreatment of animals. If individuals don't want their neighbors putting bullets into their unwanted animals or dropping them off at the edge of town then they should support a shelter.

They're just animals, they shouldn't be abused but they're just animals.

In the grand scheme of things they are only here to be eaten, worked, enjoy or be companions for those who are into such things.

cat slave
11-24-2009, 10:45 AM
We are all animals. I do believe that some animals are here to be in the food
chain even though I dont eat them, which treatens a lot of people and why
I dont know. But, if they are treated well and quickly and cleanly killed I
dont have a problem with other people eating them.

Dogs, cats and horses have been taught to live with us, protect us, or work
with us and above all trust us...that makes them companion animals and a far
cry from the neighbors cows who are dumb as a box of rocks and stand there
and look at you blankly while you are trying to run them off your property.

Factory farming is my problem with animals in the food chain. They are
dumb, well, they say pigs are actually quite intelligent, but they should
not suffer at the hands of unregulated farmers then slaughter houses.
These situations should have some sort of oversite and guidlines and if
it costs some tax payer money then so be it. I can think of a lot of rat
holes our money is pouring down with far less benefit.

Companion animals should not be eaten and yes I know there are cultures
where they do....these are also cultures for the most part that we certainly
should not be emulating, ever.

Its like they say you can tell the character of a country by the way it treats
its animals, children and old people ie the vulnerable of our society just like
the animals.

Man has "dominion" over the earth? OK, with that comes responsibility and
I really dont think that means everything goes!!!!