PDA

View Full Version : Change or die...

bullypulpit
01-31-2009, 08:08 AM
...That was the essence of Senate Minority leader Mitch "McChinless" McConnell's statements on Friday.

<blockquote>"We're all concerned about the fact that the very wealthy and the very poor, the most and least educated, and a majority of minority voters, seem to have more or less stopped paying attention to us. And we should be concerned that, as a result of all this, the Republican Party seems to be slipping into a position of being more of a regional party than a national one," McConnell told the gathering.

"In politics, there's a name for a regional party: it's called a minority party. And I didn't sign up to be a member of a regional party . . . As Republicans, we know that <b><i>common-sense conservative principles</i></b> aren't regional. But I think we have to admit what <b><i>our sales job has been poor</i></b>. And in my view, that needs to change." - <a href=http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/v-print/story/61044.html>McClatchy</a></blockquote>

What "common-sense conservative principles" is he gabbling about? Certainly not those he and his fellow travelers have espoused. The last clear voice for real conservative values died February 27, 2008.

The irony here is that, if all he thinks needs be done is to change their sales pitch, he's sadly mistaken. The GOP has been on message for the last eight years, longer if you count their having seized the majority in Congress in 1994. And that message has brought us to our current straights. Tax-cuts benefiting the wealthiest Americans...deregulation of banking and financial services...gutting environmental and worker safety regulations...Trickle down economics is little more than the GOP pissing on the backs of average Americans and telling us that warm feeling running down our backs is prosperity.

The results of November 4, 2008 were a repudiation of the "common-sense conservative principles" he and his fellow travelers have been espousing as well as the 8 years of the Bush administration's mismanagement and malfeasance. Change or die...Given the inflexible nature of these so-called conservatives, the latter is far more likely than the former. May the GOP, like the Whigs, Requiescat In Pace.

red states rule
01-31-2009, 09:06 AM
It is called Reagan conservatism - something the Republican walked away from and paid the price for it

http://www.thoseshirts.com/images/square-large-ror.gif

bullypulpit
01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
It is called Reagan conservatism - something the Republican walked away from and paid the price for it

The Bush administration was the logical extension and ultimate expression of Reagan conservatism. It failed under Reagan and even more miserably under Bush.

red states rule
01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
The Bush administration was the logical extension and ultimate expression of Reagan conservatism. It failed under Reagan and even more miserably under Bush.

No, the Bush administration was far from Regan conservatism

BP, I have no idea how old you are, but I remember well the US economy under Carter - and what Pres Reagan had to clean up

Libs rant how we are in the worst economy since the Great Depression. That is a bold face lie

Under Jimmy Carter we had double digit inflation - a prime rate at 21% - double digit interest on home loans - gas line around the block - doulbe digit inflation - near 10% unemployment

The top tax rate was 75%

When Pres Reagan cut the rate 28% it unleashed the GREATEST PEACE TIME ECONOMIC GROWTH in US History

Reciepts to the US Treasury DOUBLED in his 8 years

And Pres Regan did something I doubt anyone will accomplish in my lifetime. he won re-election in 1984 with 49 states

LiberalNation
01-31-2009, 09:33 AM
I like mitch, he is a uofl alum and gets us money......

Yurt
01-31-2009, 09:52 AM

1. how was bush like reagan? what is this "logical" extension?

2. how did reagan's conservatism fail under reagan?

LiberalNation
01-31-2009, 09:54 AM
reagan had what a 15% unemployment rate and skyrocketed the deficit as well.....

red states rule
01-31-2009, 09:58 AM
reagan had what a 15% unemployment rate and skyrocketed the deficit as well.....

About 20 million jobs were created under Pres Reagan

The Dems in Congress spent the increased revenue (thanks to the tax cuts) much like they are doing now