PDA

View Full Version : Grandma: Octuplets mom obsessed with having kids

Abbey Marie
01-31-2009, 02:00 PM
How do you all feel about this? It seems that this woman will have to go on some kind of public support to raise all of these children. I was torn when I read that she did this so she wouldn't see her embryos destroyed. But, why not donate them to a childless couples who can afford them?

LOS ANGELES – The woman who gave birth to octuplets this week conceived all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization, is not married and has been obsessed with having children since she was a teenager, her mother said.

"It can't go on any longer," she said in a phone interview Friday. "She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way. I firmly believe in marriage. But she didn't want to get married."

Nadya Suleman, 33, gave birth Monday in nearby Bellflower. She was expected to remain in the hospital for at least a few more days, and her newborns for at least a month.

There were frozen embryos left over after her previous pregnancies and her daughter didn't want them destroyed, so she decided to have more children.
Her mother and doctors have said the woman was told she had the option to abort some of the embryos and, later, the fetuses. She refused.

Nadya Suleman wanted to have children since she was a teenager, "but luckily she couldn't," her mother said.

Yolanda Garcia, 49, of Whittier, said she helped care for Nadya Suleman's autistic son three years ago.

"From what I could tell back then, she was pretty happy with herself, saying she liked having kids and she wanted 12 kids in all," Garcia told the Long Beach Press-Telegram.

"She told me that all of her kids were through in vitro, and I said 'Gosh, how can you afford that and go to school at the same time?"' she added. "And she said it's because she got paid for it."
Garcia said she did not ask for details.

Nadya Suleman holds a 2006 degree in child and adolescent development from California State University, Fullerton, and as late as last spring she was studying for a master's degree in counseling, college spokeswoman Paula Selleck told the Press-Telegram.

Her fertility doctor has not been identified. Her mother told the Los Angeles Times all the children came from the same sperm donor but she declined to identify him.

Others worried that she would be overwhelmed trying to raise so many children and would end up relying on public support.

The eight babies — six boys and two girls — were delivered by Cesarean section weighing between 1 pound, 8 ounces and 3 pounds, 4 ounces. Forty-six physicians and staff assisted in the deliveries.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_us/octuplets

Nukeman
01-31-2009, 02:05 PM
The question I have is "what fertility doctor in his right mind keeps impregnating a woman after 6 children already"..... Actually I think I know the answer to that "as long as the check cashes he will continue regardless fo the cost to others and the children".....

This is just plain wrong................ enough said...........

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 02:55 PM
The question I have is "what fertility doctor in his right mind keeps impregnating a woman after 6 children already"..... Actually I think I know the answer to that "as long as the check cashes he will continue regardless fo the cost to others and the children".....

This is just plain wrong................ enough said...........

Seems many fertility docs agree with you! (http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/1407006,CST-NWS-oct31.article)

5stringJeff
01-31-2009, 03:29 PM
If a married couple, who can afford to support the kids, wants to have 14 children, that's great. But to give fertility treatments to a welfare mom is lunacy.

hjmick
01-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Rather than continue to use her uterus as if it were a clown car, this woman needs to have her tubes tied.

5stringJeff
01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Rather than continue to use her uterus as if it were a clown car, this woman needs to have her tubes tied.

Her tubes are already 'clogged,' as it were. She needs to stop having kids, period.

Binky
02-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Personally, I think it's very irresponsible of her. She has no hubby to support the family or to help with their raising. She has burnened her parents for their help. She is not going to be able to devote quality time to each and every child.

And the taxpayers will once again, be footing the bill. It's long past time for her to get her tubes tied. Maybe welfare should step in and tell her they will not support anymore children should she choose to have them. I fear she has certainly bit off more than she can chew.

emmett
02-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Do we have any evidence to show that she is a welfare mom? Curious.

Abbey Marie
02-01-2009, 01:41 PM

Let's see, 14 kids + no husband means she must work. Which almost certainly means paying for child care for 14 kids(!) since grandmom says she won't do it anymore. I'd say the WIC program is in her future.

Trigg
02-01-2009, 03:07 PM
If it comes out that she is not getting assistance for her 14 children under the age of 7 than I take back all the bad things I've been saying about her.

However, I doubt that a single woman, who doesn't work and is living with her parents, is able to support herself considering the IMMENSE financial burden that these kids will be when then get home. Her father is already planning to go back to Iraq and serve as an interpreter to earn extra money.

The costs from the NICU will be astronomical even with insurance.

DannyR
02-01-2009, 08:01 PM
I was torn when I read that she did this so she wouldn't see her embryos destroyed. But, why not donate them to a childless couples who can afford them?

Supply is far greater than demand. Most embryos are destroyed because you can't just give them away. Even with embryonic stem cell usage, supply has always been higher than demand.

Seems to me a lot of you people want to have it both ways. You want to treat embryos as full people, but now you don't want to take responsibility for raising them when you get your wish.

I'd heard she is, but hopefully she'll get her wish and the media will pay the tab instead.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5627531.ece

Bad news, will probably encourage others to try having multiple babies if they know they win the jackpot doing so.

My Winter Storm
02-02-2009, 04:13 AM
She has 14 kids. She cant possibly raise them on her own, she'll never have a job because she'll have kids to look after. She'll sit at home and collect welfare and have even more kids.

johnney
02-03-2009, 09:50 PM
another generation of welfare babies are born

Trigg
02-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Saw an article today that states she isn't getting any offers for free food or diapers from big corporations and that she's hoping for a million $ payday for her story.

On one hand I hope she gets the money so she can pay off the hospital bills, which will probably come to almost a million, so the California tax payers don't get stuck with it.

On the other hand she's already declared bankruptcy once so I can see her doing it again and keeping any money she gets instead of paying her bills like a responsible adult. Ah who am I kidding, she's already shown she not responsible.

Trigg
02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Seems she was telling a small fib when she said we wasn't receiving assistance.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,490269,00.html

The Southern California mother of octuplets receives $490 a month in food stamps and three of her first six children are disabled and receiving federal assistance, her publicist confirmed Monday evening.

Spokesman Michael Furtney said Nadya Suleman did not want to disclose the nature of the disabilities, or the type or sum of the payments.

Furtney confirmed the public assistance payments after two sources told The Los Angeles Times that Suleman was receiving food stamps and federal supplemental security income.

"In her view these are just payments made for people with legitimate needs and are not, in her view, welfare," Furtney said. "She just believes that there are programs for people with needs and she and her children qualify for some of them."

In an interview that aired Monday, Suleman told NBC "Today" show anchor Ann Curry that she does not receive welfare.

Love how her "spokesman" is trying to spin the story, "oh...well....she doesn't consider that welfare".

So......3 of her first 6 are "disabled" and she thought it was a great idea to have 8 more. What a genious...

Abbey Marie
02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
It's a sad story. I heard that the kids suffer from MMINS

My Mom Is Nuts Syndrome.