PDA

View Full Version : Rangel, Other Reps, Party in Caribbean With Citi Funds

red states rule
01-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Looks like our tax money hard at work once again.

Six Democratic members of Congress enjoyed a Caribbean junket sponsored by Citigroup after Congress had approved the $700 billion bailout of financial services firms in October.

The National Legal and Policy Center, a watchdog group, has asked Neil Barofsky, the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program, for a formal review of the Citigroup’s sponsorship of the trip by House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel and five others.

The NLPC says the trip violated House rules.

The purported purpose of the Nov. 6-9 junket was to attend the Caribbean Multi-Cultural Business Conference on the island of St. Maarten, but “the primary purpose of attending for most participants appeared to be to take a vacation,” according to the NLPC, which had a representative at the event.

The NLPC said in a statement: “The ‘lead sponsor’ was Citigroup, which contributed $100,000. Citigroup was certainly aware that it would be a major recipient of bailout funds. It was also aware that its fortunes had become increasingly reliant on Congressional actions.

“Citigroup should have also been aware that corporate sponsorship of such an event was banned by House rules adopted on March 1, 2007, in response to the [lobbyist Jack] Abramoff scandal and the infamous golf trip to Scotland.”

In addition to Rangel, other members of Congress who attended were Donald Payne of New Jersey, Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas, Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick of Michigan, Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, and Donna Christensen, the delegate to the House from the United States Virgin Islands.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/rangel_carribean_citi/2009/01/30/176811.html

Yurt
01-31-2009, 07:00 PM
so this was illegal?

red states rule
01-31-2009, 07:06 PM
so this was illegal?

Not sure if it was illegal Yurt, but it is pretty shity to the taxpayers. We are paying for it, and while Dems are going after companies for how they operate

Yurt
01-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Not sure if it was illegal Yurt, but it is pretty shity to the taxpayers. We are paying for it, and while Dems are going after companies for how they operate

“Citigroup should have also been aware that corporate sponsorship of such an event was banned by House rules adopted on March 1, 2007, in response to the [lobbyist Jack] Abramoff scandal and the infamous golf trip to Scotland.”

if something is banned, then doesn't that make such activity illegal?

emmett
01-31-2009, 10:06 PM
so this was illegal?

Maybe not illegal, but worse!

Yurt
01-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe not illegal, but worse!

ok, what is worse

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 10:30 PM
ok, what is worse

That such expenditures after accepting public funds ISN'T illegal. That is worse. So is the officers of the company ignoring the company problems and acting as if it's 2004.

Yurt
01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
That such expenditures after accepting public funds ISN'T illegal. That is worse. So is the officers of the company ignoring the company problems and acting as if it's 2004.

but isn't it illegal now?

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 10:41 PM
but isn't it illegal now?

Not from anything I've seen. You?

bullypulpit
01-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Hmmm...A Newsmax story. How credible is that I wonder, given that sources well known right wing-nut bias? And it seems the source of information for the article is a press release from "National Legal and Policy Center". A little research shows that a healthy chunk of its funding comes from notorious right-winger, Richard Mellon Scaife, with the the remainder from various right wing contributors. Hardly an unbiased piece.

Just seems to be another case of the hard right grasping at straws.

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Hmmm...A Newsmax story. How credible is that I wonder, given that sources well known right wing-nut bias? And it seems the source of information for the article is a press release from "National Legal and Policy Center". A little research shows that a healthy chunk of its funding comes from notorious right-winger, Richard Mellon Scaife, with the the remainder from various right wing contributors. Hardly an unbiased piece.

Just seems to be another case of the hard right grasping at straws.

yet you have zero problems with little left wing organizations that are Soros funded. Hypocrisy.

Yurt
02-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Not from anything I've seen. You?

Citigroup should have also been aware that corporate sponsorship of such an event was banned by House rules adopted on March 1, 2007,

???

Kathianne
02-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Citigroup should have also been aware that corporate sponsorship of such an event was banned by House rules adopted on March 1, 2007,

???

Right you are.

bullypulpit
02-01-2009, 01:01 PM
You'd think, by now, that politicians of any stripe should have learned that even the appearance of impropriety is as bad as impropriety. If they ignored House rules and accepted Citigroup's largess, they displayed a measure of arrogance and stupidity equal to any shown during the Republican tenure as the congressional majority. And should suffer any and all penalties incurred under House rules and the law if laws were indeed broken.

That being said, I doubt Newsmax and the folks at "National Legal and Policy Center" would have said a word had the offenders been Republicans rather than Democrats..

red states rule
02-01-2009, 01:04 PM
You'd think, by now, that politicians of any stripe should have learned that even the appearance of impropriety is as bad as impropriety. If they ignored House rules and accepted Citigroup's largess, they displayed a measure of arrogance and stupidity equal to any shown during the Republican tenure as the congressional majority.

That being said, I doubt Newsmax and the folks at "National Legal and Policy Center" would have said a word had the offenders been Republicans rather than Democrats..

Not true. Newsmax have run many articles about Republicans screwing up. You on the other hand, turn a blind eye to any Dem who gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar

More on the gala bash

snip

Several lobbyists were seen hanging out poolside with conference attendees at the resort, where premier rooms with balconies overlooking the azure waters of the Caribbean rent for up to $445 per night. Others rubbed elbows at a boozy happy hour in the hotel bar on the first night of the gathering.

The organizers also arranged a gala dinner at a ritzy hotel on the other side of the island at Oyster Bay. Two luxury buses ferried the Carib News attendees to the opulent resort, where participants enjoyed a sumptuous, candlelit feast on the beach.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11302008/news/regionalnews/shady_island_house_party_141513.htm?page=0

DannyR
02-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Fact is that both party's abuse their travel privs.

This site lists most of the travel expenses reported, and both parties are pretty much neck in neck in spending our money going wherever they wish.

http://www.legistorm.com/trip/list.html?by=search&id=x&traveler=&start_date=02%2F01%2F2005&end_date=02%2F01%2F2009&approver=&approver_state=&approver_party=&sponsor=&destination=&destination_state=&destination_country=&purpose=&commit=Search

red states rule
02-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Fact is that both party's abuse their travel privs.

This site lists most of the travel expenses reported, and both parties are pretty much neck in neck in spending our money going wherever they wish.

http://www.legistorm.com/trip/list.html?by=search&id=x&traveler=&start_date=02%2F01%2F2005&end_date=02%2F01%2F2009&approver=&approver_state=&approver_party=&sponsor=&destination=&destination_state=&destination_country=&purpose=&commit=Search

Lets see, which party and their leaders have been bitching about CEO's, private jets, and bonus money being paid out?

Rangel is one of the clowns who helps to write the laws, then he breaks them, and then rewrites them in the name of ethics reform to make sure he will not get caught again.

DannyR
02-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Lets see, which party and their leaders have been bitching about CEO's, private jets, and bonus money being paid out?

True. Republicans learned to shut their mouths after Jack Abramoff. *lol*

red states rule
02-01-2009, 07:27 PM

True. Republicans learned to shut their mouths after Jack Abramoff. *lol*

Actually MORE Dems took Jacks money then Republicans. It was a fact the liberal media ignored

But why change the subject. Dems ran on "draining the swamp" in 2006. But ever since they took over, the sewer line has backed up to their ass

DannyR
02-01-2009, 07:31 PM
But why change the subject. Dems ran on "draining the swamp" in 2006. But ever since they took over, the sewer line has backed up to their ass

Who's changing the subject. I just pointed out that all politicians go on these trips. Figures show pretty much equal amounts being accepted from both sides. Politician = liar, doesn't matter if they are R or D.

red states rule
02-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Who's changing the subject. I just pointed out that all politicians go on these trips. Figures show pretty much equal amounts being accepted from both sides. Politician = liar, doesn't matter if they are R or D.

Seems whenever Dems get caught the first excuse given is "well everyone does it"

Yurt
02-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Seems whenever Dems get caught the first excuse given is "well everyone does it"

thats independent thinking for you...

red states rule
02-01-2009, 07:40 PM
thats independent thinking for you...

Seems to me, "independents" just want to get along with everyone, and not offend anybody

DannyR
02-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Seems to me when Dems get caught, Republicans conveniently forget they've done the same too. I've no problem calling Dems hypocrites and liars.

Difference is, I blame both parties and call them both liars. You only blame dems, and didn't you just excuse the whole Abramoff scandal by saying more Dems used him? *lol*

Seems to me, "independents" just want to get along with everyone, and not offend anybody

Have you read any of my posts? I certainly don't care about offending your delicate sensibilities by calling bullshit when I see it.

red states rule
02-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Seems to me when Dems get caught, Republicans conveniently forget they've done the same too. I've no problem calling Dems hypocrites and liars.

Difference is, I blame both parties and call them both liars. You only blame dems, and didn't you just excuse the whole Abramoff scandal by saying more Dems used him? *lol*

Have you read any of my posts? I certainly don't care about offending your delicate sensibilities by calling bullshit when I see it.

I call Republicans on the carpet as well. So far you seem to jump to the defense of the Dems on this thread and on others

BTW, here are some of the Senate Dems who took Jack's money. The liberal media seems to "overlook" them

40 0f 45 Democratic Senators Took Abramoff Money!

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/01/40-0f-45-democratic-senators-took.html

DannyR
02-01-2009, 07:48 PM
I call Republicans on the carpet as well. So far you seem to jump to the defense of the Dems on this thread and on others

Perhaps in time we'll both see the other side of each other. I've never seen you attack a R since I've been on the site.

I've called dems hypocrites and liars twice already in this post, but you think I'm defending them. *lol*

This your way of saying everyone is doing it? *lol* I thought you just said only dems used that excuse.

red states rule
02-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Perhaps in time we'll both see the other side of each other. I've never seen you attack a R since I've been on the site.

I've called dems hypocrites and liars twice already in this post, but you think I'm defending them. *lol*

This your way of saying everyone is doing it? *lol* I thought you just said only dems used that excuse.

I'm sure this was just another hiccupp.

(acid reflux for us, but, just a hiccup for them)

bullypulpit
02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Not true. Newsmax have run many articles about Republicans screwing up. You on the other hand, turn a blind eye to any Dem who gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar

More on the gala bash

snip

Several lobbyists were seen hanging out poolside with conference attendees at the resort, where premier rooms with balconies overlooking the azure waters of the Caribbean rent for up to $445 per night. Others rubbed elbows at a boozy happy hour in the hotel bar on the first night of the gathering.

The organizers also arranged a gala dinner at a ritzy hotel on the other side of the island at Oyster Bay. Two luxury buses ferried the Carib News attendees to the opulent resort, where participants enjoyed a sumptuous, candlelit feast on the beach.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11302008/news/regionalnews/shady_island_house_party_141513.htm?page=0

Ah...the New York Post...Another disreputable right-wing rag. In fact, a key word search shows the story appearing no where but in right wing rags. Secondly I find no mention ANYWHERE of a "Caribbean Multi-Cultural Business Conference". There was a "Caribbean Multi-National Business Conference", at the time, and if NewsMax got something that basic that wrong, it's a safe bet that they made other "errors" as well. Wouldn't be the first time either.

Hell even CREW, amidst all of Rangel's other problems, made no mention of this trip in a <a href=http://www.citizensforethics.org/node/36165>12/22/08 article</a>.

red states rule
02-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Ah...the New York Post...Another disreputable right-wing rag. In fact, a key word search shows the story appearing no where but in right wing rags. Secondly I find no mention ANYWHERE of a "Caribbean Multi-Cultural Business Conference". There was a "Caribbean Multi-National Business Conference", at the time, and if NewsMax got something that basic that wrong, it's a safe bet that they made other "errors" as well. Wouldn't be the first time either.

Hell even CREW, amidst all of Rangel's other problems, made no mention of this trip in a <a href=http://www.citizensforethics.org/node/36165>12/22/08 article</a>.

Tell you what hotshot - provide a link that proves the story is false. You are bellowing about "biased" sources - prove the story is not true

Put up, shut up, or run away from the thread

Guess that may be why the Wall St. Greed Boys want private jets. Makes it easier to hustle their congressional marks out of the country.

Wonder if Barack will label THIS shameful?

DannyR
02-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Secondly I find no mention ANYWHERE of a "Caribbean Multi-Cultural Business Conference". There was a "Caribbean Multi-National Business Conference", at the time, and if NewsMax got something that basic that wrong, it's a safe bet that they made other "errors" as well. Wouldn't be the first time either.

True, they did get the conf. name wrong.

Hell even CREW, amidst all of Rangel's other problems, made no mention of this trip in a 12/22/08 article.

Check the link below: duly reported trips made by the 6 reps in question. There is no question the trip was made. Primary sponsor isn't Citi. I don't doubt Citi was a sponsor of the trip, but there is possible leeway in if the reps in question knew this as a lot of companies fund such conferences.

http://www.legistorm.com/trip/list/by/destination/id/2230/name/St_Maarten_No_city_specified_.html

And again, I think pretty much ANY trip made by our congressmen besides travel between DC and their home districts is a waste of taxpayer money.