PDA

View Full Version : Fillibuster proof senate coming?

DannyR
01-31-2009, 07:15 PM
There is a strong possibility that Barack Obama will ask Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH) to serve as his Secretary of Commerce, Democratic Senate aides tell the Huffington Post.

The move would fill a vacancy that has lingered since Gov. Bill Richardson withdrew his nomination. And provided that Al Franken emerges victorious in the Minnesota recount, it would give Democrats in the Senate a 60th caucusing member, as New Hampshire's Democratic governor John Lynch would appoint Gregg's replacement.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/29/judd-gregg-commerce-secre_n_162378.html

So, does this make Judd a traitor to the GOP? Which gives more power, being in the Cabinet, or controlling the ability to filibuster? I'm guessing its a net loss for the GOP for 2 years if he accepts.

red states rule
01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/29/judd-gregg-commerce-secre_n_162378.html

So, does this make Judd a traitor to the GOP? Which gives more power, being in the Cabinet, or controlling the ability to filibuster? I'm guessing its a net loss for the GOP for 2 years if he accepts.

You are forgetting about the "Gang of 14"

Dems loved them at one time - now they may hate them

Yurt
01-31-2009, 08:19 PM

with a filibuster proof senate...i don't see those dems needing or wanting a gang for a compromise

Yurt
01-31-2009, 08:20 PM
yes it will be a loss for the GOP party. but if he feels he can best serve the country as commerce sec, then he should take the job.

i can't help but think that obama knows exactly what he is doing. also, IMO, if this gives the dems a filibuster proof senate, then he should stay put. as com sec, obama is still his boss, so i can't really see what conservative (assuming the R means he is) ideas he would be able to implement.

moderate democrat
01-31-2009, 08:21 PM

the gang of 14 kept the filibuster intact. If this appointment goes through, the filibuster will be moot regardless.

5stringJeff
01-31-2009, 08:22 PM
The Gang of 14 was shameless. And those of you who voted for McCain can consider yourselves supporters of the Gang's top organizer.

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 09:03 PM
The Gang of 14 was shameless. And those of you who voted for McCain can consider yourselves supporters of the Gang's top organizer.

Agreed. The chickens roost.

emmett
01-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Politics...Politics! Judd Gregg isn't exactly Ronald Reagen! Anyway 59 Dems 60 Dems, what's the difference really.

Personally, it's 6 of one, half dozen of another. As a cabinet member, Gregg will have at least some ability to be influencial. Of course with Hillary's soon to be broadened powers to include Commerce, which Sec of State will, well............

Now as for the sleezy move by Obahaha to consider the (R) for the purpose of creating a filibuster proof majority, it demonstrates how sneaky a fucker he really is, or how gullible he is because I personally think this is Raum Emanuel talking here! He no doubt sees Gregg as an influenciable type, which he is, or they would have come up with more qualified people to consider. Of course it is only chatter right now but we'll see.

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Politics...Politics! Judd Gregg isn't exactly Ronald Reagen! Anyway 59 Dems 60 Dems, what's the difference really.

Personally, it's 6 of one, half dozen of another. As a cabinet member, Gregg will have at least some ability to be influencial. Of course with Hillary's soon to be broadened powers to include Commerce, which Sec of State will, well............

Now as for the sleezy move by Obahaha to consider the (R) for the purpose of creating a filibuster proof majority, it demonstrates how sneaky a fucker he really is, or how gullible he is because I personally think this is Raum Emanuel talking here! He no doubt sees Gregg as an influenciable type, which he is, or they would have come up with more qualified people to consider. Of course it is only chatter right now but we'll see.
Rham is the new Karl Rove or Dick Cheney. So now is the time to find the strings to Obama. :laugh2:

Yurt
01-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Rham is the new Karl Rove or Dick Cheney. So now is the time to find the strings to Obama. :laugh2:

?

bullypulpit
01-31-2009, 10:53 PM
With the moderate Republicans in the Senate Like Ben Nelson and Susan Collins, a filibuster proof majority isn't needed. What would be really amusing though would be for the Moderate Republicans to switch to Independents...Like Lieberman switched from Democrat to Independent.

DannyR
01-31-2009, 11:13 PM
Anyway 59 Dems 60 Dems, what's the difference really.

Primary purpose of the filibuster in recent history has been to block nominees. Given the huge number of nominees Obama will be moving forward in the next few months, I can see the loss of this power by Republicans as a pretty serious blow.

If the supreme court opens up in the next two years, it would be even more of a blow as even the threat of blocking a nominee has kept the most extreme choices from even being put forward.

emmett
01-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Anyway 59 Dems 60 Dems, what's the difference really.

Primary purpose of the filibuster in recent history has been to block nominees. Given the huge number of nominees Obama will be moving forward in the next few months, I can see the loss of this power by Republicans as a pretty serious blow.

If the supreme court opens up in the next two years, it would be even more of a blow as even the threat of blocking a nominee has kept the most extreme choices from even being put forward.

When the time comes, Obahaha will be able to get his guy/girl nominated. It's that simple. When applicable, the admin will strategize to work a piece of bi-partisan legislation through, claim they are reaching across the isle, get their guy confirmed and accomplish a sweep. It's politics.

Think things are bad now? Wait two years and watch what happens!

Kathianne
01-31-2009, 11:26 PM
When the time comes, Obahaha will be able to get his guy/girl nominated. It's that simple. When applicable, the admin will strategize to work a piece of bi-partisan legislation through, claim they are reaching across the isle, get their guy confirmed and accomplish a sweep. It's politics.

Think things are bad now? Wait two years and watch what happens!

Indeed, today there is no need for 'bi-partisanship.' Obama should drop that now, as both sides are aware it doesn't exist. Not because they wouldn't like it, it's the times.

DannyR
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Rumor mill is that Gregg might only accept the position if Gov. Lynch promises to appoint a republican.

Wonder what the line is on buying/selling congressional seats. This sort of back and forth could also get dangerous.

manu1959
02-02-2009, 12:39 PM
whatever will the dems use for an excuse now.............