PDA

View Full Version : Sneak peek

jimnyc
02-01-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm testing out a new look for the board which will coincide with the latest vB upgrade that I haven't completed yet. Scroll to the bottom of the board on any page - you'll see a drop down box allowing you to choose different "styles" for the board. Choose the one I'm working on which is "Hexcell Fluid".

It's much brighter than this style so be prepared. It has an easier feel to it though, IMO, and is easier to read threads and get around the board. I redesigned a few logos and added a generic "name" for the header. I also applied all the cosmetic changes and "hacks" to follow the new style. But it'll be a work in progress for now and adjustments will need to be made - and some based on your feedback.

Staff has seen it already and there was mixed feedback. It's liked, it's liked but a few colored areas are off, and one fine young lady who I won't name who posts as "Abbey" absolutely hates it!

Feedback? ...

Mr. P
02-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm testing out a new look for the board which will coincide with the latest vB upgrade that I haven't completed yet. Scroll to the bottom of the board on any page - you'll see a drop down box allowing you to choose different "styles" for the board. Choose the one I'm working on which is "Hexcell Fluid".

It's much brighter than this style so be prepared. It has an easier feel to it though, IMO, and is easier to read threads and get around the board. I redesigned a few logos and added a generic "name" for the header. I also applied all the cosmetic changes and "hacks" to follow the new style. But it'll be a work in progress for now and adjustments will need to be made - and some based on your feedback.

Staff has seen it already and there was mixed feedback. It's liked, it's liked but a few colored areas are off, and one fine young lady who I won't name who posts as "Abbey" absolutely hates it!

Feedback? ...

If it ain't broke...

Speaking of broke..lately (for several days now) when I go to the reply box it's very slow and jerky.

Abbey Marie
02-01-2009, 03:01 PM

Feedback? ...

Obviously a woman with exquisite taste!

Noir
02-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Sarry dude it's not to my taste, also there does not seem to be a 'new posts' button in the top right like there is nomally. However, I can see why some would like it as it does look cleaner.

jimnyc
02-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Sarry dude it's not to my taste, also there does not seem to be a 'new posts' button in the top right like there is nomally. However, I can see why some would like it as it does look cleaner.

It's there, just a different style menu

jimnyc
02-01-2009, 03:16 PM
If it ain't broke...

Speaking of broke..lately (for several days now) when I go to the reply box it's very slow and jerky.

The SQL load has been a bit high lately. All clients on this server share the same SQL server. It was very slow this morning and I opened a ticket. They claimed to have tossed a client that was abusing the services.

Obviously a woman with exquisite taste!

I like it, but I have a suspicion that others will feel as you do. :(

Thanks for the feedback!

PostmodernProphet
02-01-2009, 04:39 PM
not bad....if you're into clown costumes and the like.....course I replaced all my skins with black on black, so what do I know about 'taste'?.......

Jeff
02-01-2009, 09:54 PM
sure enough bright , but it looks ok Jim

jimnyc
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
not bad....if you're into clown costumes and the like

So I'm getting the feeling that you guys aren't into a new look for the board? LOL

Is it that THIS new look stinks, or do you guys just prefer to leave well enough alone and stick to what we know?

Abbey Marie
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
So I'm getting the feeling that you guys aren't into a new look for the board? LOL

Is it that THIS new look stinks, or do you guys just prefer to leave well enough alone and stick to what we know?

Kinda both, but more the second reason. As you know, I think the current one is very different from other boards I've seen; it's distinctive. The colors are vibrant yet soothing (I know, too much HGTV for me :)), and the text contrast is perfect.

I think you should look at it as your "brand". :beer:

PostmodernProphet
02-02-2009, 11:04 AM

I enjoy variety.....I'm just not into high contrast......wine and black would be sweet.....so would wine and cheese......or beer and cheese.......

Mr. P
02-02-2009, 12:00 PM

That's the message I was sending with, "If it ain't broke...don't fix it".

So I left out the "don't fix it" part, I thought a yank woulda heard that saying...and they say the south is slow. :laugh2:

Sitarro
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I've always loved the Masthead(if that is the correct term), it says DEBATEPOLICY.COM to me and the new look minimizes it. I do think that eagle is a great graphic piece though. I like blue and never have liked orange, even while living in Denver, so I like the default style best. I do agree with the Prophet on black though, I have the black skin on my version of Limewire. My 2 cents........

manu1959
02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
a board full of olde timers and no one wants change..........shocker !!!!!!!!!!

Mr. P
02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
a board full of olde timers and no one wants change..........shocker !!!!!!!!!!

Change for change sake sucks! Now if it's an improvement..go fer it. :slap:

Abbey Marie
02-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I rearrange our furniture and redecorate all the time. Resistance to change is not the problem here.

jackass
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I have mixed feelings. It does have a clean feel to it which is nice, but the white is just too bright. As Abbey has stated, this board has its own style that I think seperates you from all of the other "clone" boards. I like the colors on the new page, just not the contast of the white.

PostmodernProphet
02-02-2009, 05:51 PM
by the way....I didn't even know I could do it before, but I have switched to "Lighter" which I like better than the default......

Mr. P
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
by the way....I didn't even know I could do it before, but I have switched to "Lighter" which I like better than the default......

Pushin new buttons makes you a real NERD ya know? :poke:

Kathianne
02-02-2009, 07:32 PM

Ok, enough. No pole dancing for you! ;)

PostmodernProphet
02-02-2009, 07:38 PM

/e makes internet confession....."I have tape on my glasses"......there is room for all....

http://www.maryannjohanson.com/images/geekphilosophy/koanbabygeek.gif

Mr. P
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Ok, enough. No pole dancing for you! ;)

Wait...I'll cook the meal!

Kathianne
02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Wait...I'll cook the meal!

Got to move the furniture, meaning adaptable to change. I put down the bong long ago, picking up pole dancing? :eek::laugh2:

jimnyc
02-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Ok, how about choosing the style called "Lighter" and building off of that one as a base? Do you guys prefer a whitish style such as that, or do you want me to stop messing with things and move on?

PostmodernProphet
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Ok, how about choosing the style called "Lighter" and building off of that one as a base? Do you guys prefer a whitish style such as that, or do you want me to stop messing with things and move on?

I might be interested in an alternative to "default" tht used a different dark color besides blue....just for a change up.....what I really would like is if the board were skinable, so we could all make it look the way we prefer.....

jackass
02-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I dont like the white at all....

jimnyc
02-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I think it's likely impossible to find any style that will appeal to everyone. What I'm going to do is leave this one as the default. Anyone who likes one of the other 2 better can set it to always appear with that style. You would just need to go into your user control panel, then click on "edit options", and the very last option on that page is to choose YOUR default style.

I'll continue to listen to any feedback about any of the styles to make everyone happy with the appearance. I might add additional styles as we progress as well giving everyone a nice mixture.

But due to what I see thus far, I will leave well enough alone with this style and leave it as default.

jimnyc
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
BTW - if anyone has a specific request/add-on for a style, or a specific color scheme in mind, let me know and I can adjust.

emmett
02-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Ah...... Jimbo! Board was great already! I'm with P, why fix what ain't broke! Abbey, Kathy, I know you guys move your furniture around but you don't relocate the garage.... right?

MY VOTE (fopr what it is worth) = Leave it alone!

emmett
02-03-2009, 02:25 PM
KATHIANNE!

You get down off that pole now... you hear me!