PDA

View Full Version : Foul smelling water

Jeff
02-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Maybe someone can help me, I recently bought a new house that had been empty for a few month's while the previous owner renovated it , well we moved in this weekend ( god I hate moving) I turned all the power on then turned the well on, when I ran the water I realized it had a foul smell , I figured it was cause it had sat up but it doesn't seem to be going away ( it has definitely gotten better but it is still there) it smells like sulfur , does anyone have any idea what might cause this, is it dangerous to consume and any idea's how to fix it, any help would be greatly appreciated .

manu1959
02-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Maybe someone can help me, I recently bought a new house that had been empty for a few month's while the previous owner renovated it , well we moved in this weekend ( god I hate moving) I turned all the power on then turned the well on, when I ran the water I realized it had a foul smell , I figured it was cause it had sat up but it doesn't seem to be going away ( it has definitely gotten better but it is still there) it smells like sulfur , does anyone have any idea what might cause this, is it dangerous to consume and any idea's how to fix it, any help would be greatly appreciated .

google is your friend..........http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sulfur+well+water&aq=0&oq=sulfur+wel

Jeff
02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
google is your friend..........http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=sulfur+well+water&aq=0&oq=sulfur+wel

Heading that way manu , trying to watch the game and look it up at the same time , but thanks man, I will see what I can find

Mr. P
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Well water stinks and tastes like crap...I'd head a sample to the local extension office for a test though.

Jeff
02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Well water stinks and tastes like crap...I'd head a sample to the local extension office for a test though.

MY wife works for the health dept. so she is going to have it tested , after looking it up on Google it looks like it is a very common problem , looks easy enough to fix, a little bleach ought to help, but I will have it tested just the same, Thanks

Mr. P
02-01-2009, 10:39 PM
MY wife works for the health dept. so she is going to have it tested , after looking it up on Google it looks like it is a very common problem , looks easy enough to fix, a little bleach ought to help, but I will have it tested just the same, Thanks

Or a filter...have you ever been in the Savannah area? That water smells like hell!

Jeff
02-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Or a filter...have you ever been in the Savannah area? That water smells like hell!

Yes I have and yes it does . Looks like they have lots of different filter's but I also found a site saying fix it for under 10 bucks but they want ya to buy there book , lol , So I am guessing with all the site's I have seen a little bleach into the well ought to help it

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 05:16 AM
I once had that problem when I lived in a small town in middle Tennessee. We found a dead dog and a dead possum in our well. Bleach didn't cure the problem, jeff.

What's your poison?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Jeff
02-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I once had that problem when I lived in a small town in middle Tennessee. We found a dead dog and a dead possum in our well. Bleach didn't cure the problem, jeff.

What's your poison?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Dang I reckon even bleach wouldn't handle that, lol, but the problem is solved , we just needed to run the water a bunch , seems from sitting gases build up in the well ,but as you run it it goes away, but thanks to all that responded . :beer:

Psyco if it's wet and has alcohol in it it can work, lol

Psychoblues
02-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Glad you got it taken care of, Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang I reckon even bleach wouldn't handle that, lol, but the problem is solved , we just needed to run the water a bunch , seems from sitting gases build up in the well ,but as you run it it goes away, but thanks to all that responded . :beer:

Psyco if it's wet and has alcohol in it it can work, lol

Country wells can be a real pain sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!

How 'bout a shot of Mississippi corn, straight out of a mason jar?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

Jeff
02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Glad you got it taken care of, Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country wells can be a real pain sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!

How 'bout a shot of Mississippi corn, straight out of a mason jar?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Psychoblues

That would work anytime of day or night, Back is hurting from all the moving I did this week , so it could work now sure enough !!!

:beer::beer::beer:

Psychoblues
02-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Mississippi corn is also a good muscle relaxer, jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would work anytime of day or night, Back is hurting from all the moving I did this week , so it could work now sure enough !!!

:beer::beer::beer:

I'll bring a half gallon and we'll drink most of it just to catch the buzz and you can use the rest for pain reliever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Jeff
02-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Mississippi corn is also a good muscle relaxer, jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll bring a half gallon and we'll drink most of it just to catch the buzz and you can use the rest for pain reliever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Works for me, just hit 85 N and ya could be here by night fall, I will get some steaks ( for the grill , not the country fried , or what ever that other is , lol)

Psychoblues
02-07-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm about 45 miles west of I-55 in Mississippi, Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Works for me, just hit 85 N and ya could be here by night fall, I will get some steaks ( for the grill , not the country fried , or what ever that other is , lol)

I don't do $500 trips for a steak and I don't care how much beer or 'shine is involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep a cool tool,,,,,,,,and sharp, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How 'bout another shot of Mississippi corn before I get too damned cross-eyed to pour it?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?! I've been here all damned night, cowboy!!!!!!!!!!!! I jammed last night 'til 10 for a good "dry" old folks home, made gas money and been here about every since, or is that sense?!?!???!???!?!

Git in touch with the Mississippi Mash Marathon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

MtnBiker
03-10-2009, 04:57 PM
15. e