PDA

View Full Version : Obama Admits Closing Gitmo Could Endanger Americans

red states rule
02-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Apparently keeping a promise to Code Pink and Moveon is more important than protecting Americans in their homes. He admits that it is dangerous, but will do it anyway to appease his base

snip

MATT LAUER: — to be less of a threat. But if one of those people that's released goes back and takes part in the planning of or carrying out of an attack against U.S. interests, you're gonna have a Willie Horton times 100 situation on your hands. How are you gonna deal with that?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Of course I'm worried about it. Look, the — you know, I have to make the very best judgments I can make in terms of what's gonna keep the American people safe and is what — what's gonna uphold our Constitution and our traditions of due process ... If we don't uphold our Constitution and our values, that over time that will make us less safe. And that will be a recruitment tool for organizations like al-Qaida. That's what I've gotta keep my eye on.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28975726/#storyContinued

red states rule
02-04-2009, 09:16 AM
don't know what to say about this moron!

On the job training sure is grand!

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Answering your own threads still makes you look stupid, rsr.

I thought we'd had this conversation before?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Answering your own threads still makes you look stupid, rsr.

I thought we'd had this conversation before?!??!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Psychoblues

What is going on in Obama's mind?

Is it on the job training?

Is it stupidity?

Is it a manchild in a mans body?

Yurt
02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
how is that this harvard trained lawyer thinks those folks in gitmo get constitutional due process of law?

red states rule
02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
how is that this harvard trained lawyer thinks those folks in gitmo get constitutional due process of law?

It's like saying you are worried that people might get hurt if you drive drunk, but you are going to do it anyway

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
The butt buddies are back at it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Y'all enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
He is catering to Code Pink, Moveon, and the Psychoblues kook wing of the Dem party

He is under pressure from these special interest groups and he obviously is placing their desires ahead of the good of the nation, and National Security.

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 11:37 AM
It's called governing with a responsible frame of mind, dumbo. We'll all have to get used to it as we haven't had it in so long now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-04-2009, 11:38 AM
It's called governing with a responsible frame of mind, dumbo. We'll all have to get used to it as we haven't had it in so long now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

and when those released terrorists kill innocent people - perhaps Americans - will you take the blame or pass the buck?

Individuals who have already been released from Gitmo have caused harm against Americans and our interests.

emmett
02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Fuck it..... shoot em!

red states rule
02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Fuck it..... shoot em!

Give all the prisoners, milk and cookies ,laced with rat poison

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
If you're scared then say you're scared, dumbo.

and when those released terrorists kill innocent people - perhaps Americans - will you take the blame or pass the buck?

Individuals who have already been released from Gitmo have caused harm against Americans and our interests.

The rest of us don't have to experience your personal paranoia. We all have concerns that are more legitimate than those you intimate.

I say: :pee: rsr

You ain't much to me, neg repper!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
If you're scared then say you're scared, dumbo.

The rest of us don't have to experience your personal paranoia. We all have concerns that are more legitimate than those you intimate.

I say: :pee: rsr

You ain't much to me, neg repper!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues

Lame dodge PB

Other than appeasing Code Pink and Moveon, what purpose does it serve?

If it has been proven that released terrorist are re-offenders, why do you want to bring them here and give them ACLU lawyers?

Have another drink and take a drive?

DannyR
02-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Of course closing Gitmo is dangerous. Keeping it is dangerous too (and pretty much illegal in my opinion). It is a perfect call-to-arms for any would be terrorist out there. Bush totally mucked up in creating it and fighting to treat terrorists as a special class of person, and Barney the Dinosaur would be hailed as a martyr if he was placed there.

He should have treated them as pure POWs kept in camps in their own country (which could by now have been handed over right back to the Iraqi's/afghanis) or as pure criminals (in which case they would be serving their prison time), not fighting to try and establish a special new category of enemy combatant.

Keeping them separate has caused far more problems as a result. Obama is thus left with a bitter taint he has to clean, and there is no way its coming out easily.

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 11:56 AM
OK, you're scared shitless and I can't help you with that.

Lame dodge PB

Other than appeasing Code Pink and Moveon, what purpose does it serve?

If it has been proven that released terrorist are re-offenders, why do you want to bring them here and give them ACLU lawyers?

Have another drink and take a drive?

In the meantime this country is about justice and a fair way of going about it. Your neg reps indicate that you care nothing about fairness.

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-04-2009, 11:58 AM
OK, you're scared shitless and I can't help you with that.

In the meantime this country is about justice and a fair way of going about it. Your neg reps indicate that you care nothing about fairness.

Psychoblues

You work damn hard for the neg reps PB

Obama said "I have to make the best judgments I can make."

That's a mouthful. Lets see...

Marshall

Wright

Ayers

Geithner

Daschell

Killefer

And more on the way

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Why do you hate America, rsr? Despite our faults we remain the best democracy on Earth whether the 'lil one wanted us to or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Why do you hate America, rsr? Despite our faults we remain the best democracy on Earth whether the 'lil one wanted us to or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

So now it is the "you hate America" talking point - a sure sign of desperation on your part PB

There are two different things going on here.

The act of releasing individuals from Gitmo, and the act of closing Gitmo.

While they might seem the same, they are completely different when you acknowledge that our government should not willingly release someone they know will later attack American interests.

Psychoblues
02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Just answer the question, rsr.

Why do you hate America?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

Sitarro
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Fuck it..... shoot em!

I agree, then again, why waste a bullet? Fly them to the country they were capture in and throw them out of the back of a C-130. They can fly to alla.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I agree, then again, why waste a bullet? Fly them to the country they were capture in and throw them out of the back of a C-130. They can fly to alla.

Use them for shark bait is another good idea

DannyR
02-04-2009, 02:03 PM

With these fuel prices? Bullets cost a lot less than Jet-A (~$4/gal still)

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:04 PM

With these fuel prices? Bullets cost a lot less than Jet-A (~$4/gal still)

Using them for shark bait is even cheaper

Of course you might be charged wih polluting the water if you are caught

DannyR
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Humans are biodegradable. And dumping them in salt water won't pollute any freshwater source. Main problem with disposing of people at sea is they sometimes wash right back up on shore. That was a rather large problem with the practice during the Galveston Hurricane of 1900. So again you gotta use a lot of fuel to get really far out to sea.

I think way too much about such things. :laugh2:

red states rule
02-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Obama wants to release detainees we know will harm American interests

Enough said

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 04:50 PM

Enough said

I have not heard that he wants to release anyone who we have reasonable evidence on... I just heard that he wants to close the Gitmo gulag.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
I have not heard that he wants to release anyone who we have reasonable evidence on... I just heard that he wants to close the Gitmo gulag.

Gulag? Here is how those poor terrorists live Virgil

Radio personality and chairman of Move America Forward, Melanie Morgan, has recently returned from a Christmas visit to the controversial Guantanamo Bay, Cuba -- telling Newsmax that the American people have been lied to about how the terror war detainees being held there are treated.

“I saw that there were a lot of attorneys and big mouths in this country who are trying to describe hideous conditions at Gitmo,” she says. “That is simply not the case. Those people are lying to the American people.”

Morgan, who began her career reporting on the 1983 Beirut, Lebanon Marine Barracks bombing, where 241 Marines were killed, goes on to describe what she discovered during her three-day visit.

“The terrorists at Gitmo are given more religious consideration than our troops are,” Morgan explains. “They have six meal plans every day that they can choose from. At the beginning of the week on Monday they describe what kind of foods that they would like. If the fresh fruit is bruised, they are allowed to return it for a higher quality fruit.

“They live in air conditioned state of the art buildings,” she adds. “In fact, in one of variants of ‘compliance’ centers (what the lockups are called), the most dangerous terrorists in the world are kept in a facility that was built modularly based on the facility in Terre Haute, Indiana.

“So, there is a communication center in the middle, and the inmates are kept in rooms that form a spoke around there. They are allowed to shower every single day for 15 minutes. They have more exercise and recreational time than American school children do.

“In fact, the lowest security inmates are allowed 14 hours a day outside of their cell. They are taught English. They are allowed to read from six newspapers a day. They have painted arrows on the concrete floors pointing to Mecca so that the radical Muslims can pray five times a day.”

But there is more to the coddling the prisoners receive, according to Morgan, who is the co-author of “American Mourning,” a book that criticized anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan,

“These guys have movie night six nights a week and they get popcorn,” Morgan explains by way of setting up an anecdote about detainee behavior.

“They got real mad once about six months ago because they saw an American woman who wasn’t properly covered up on one of the TV shows that they were watching, and they rioted and busted up the TV.

“So what was their punishment for doing this? Well, the American military, actually the U.S. taxpayers, bought them a brand new big screen plasma TV that they now have under Plexiglas so that they can’t break it.”

http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/melanie_morgan_gitmo/2008/12/31/166911.html

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 04:57 PM
you didn't address my point: where has Obama said that he wants to release any detainee that we have credible evidence on? All I heard was that he wanted to close the Gitmo camp.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
you didn't address my point: where has Obama said that he wants to release any detainee that we have credible evidence on? All I heard was that he wanted to close the Gitmo camp.

So far mire then 50 (I think that is the number) of those poor innocent "freedom fighters" have returned to terrorist activities.

Bottom line is, like Dems will own the economy - Obama nd Dems will own those terrorists if they kill innocent people if they release them

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
So far mire then 50 (I think that is the number) of those poor innocent "freedom fighters" have returned to terrorist activities.

Bottom line is, like Dems will own the economy - Obama nd Dems will own those terrorists if they kill innocent people if they release them

which administration released the ones who have gone back to terrorist activities?

red states rule
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
which administration released the ones who have gone back to terrorist activities?

Obviously it was the Bush administration. That is what happens when the military tries to appease the bleeding heart left and ACLU

Tell me Virgil, how many spare rooms do you have? I am sure a loving and careing lib like you would have no objection to taking a few of these innocents into your home

Maybe our troops should no take anymore prisoners. That would solve the problem

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Obviously it was the Bush administration. That is what happens when the military tries to appease the bleeding heart left and ACLU

Tell me Virgil, how many spare rooms do you have? I am sure a loving and careing lib like you would have no objection to taking a few of these innocents into your home

Maybe our troops should no take anymore prisoners. That would solve the problem

Elmer:

I would love to see a quote from a Bush administration military leader who says that he released dangerous terrorists in order to appease the ACLU.

DannyR
02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
So far mire then 50 (I think that is the number) of those poor innocent "freedom fighters" have returned to terrorist activitiesNothing new there. Most small time drug dealers sent to prison become hardened criminals upon release.

To carry the analogy, your solution seems to be we should thus lock up any minor criminal for life because of the crimes they may in the future commit?

You illustrate the very problem of Gitmo and why it should never have been established. Every one of those men there are now heroes to the cause of extremists. As I said before, Barney the Dinosaur could have gone there and become the new #2 reptile of an Al Qaeda cell anywhere in the world.

Its an ugly problem that there is no solution for. Killing them all might prevent a couple hundred men from returning to Al Qaeda, but would certainly inspire a couple thousand free ones who currently don't hate us to join the cause. Keeping them locked up forever isn't a solution either, although it seems some of you prefer this.

DragonStryk72
02-05-2009, 12:23 AM
What is going on in Obama's mind?

Is it on the job training?

Is it stupidity?

Is it a manchild in a mans body?

no, it called intelilgence. He's right, we cannot abandon our ideals to fight these cowards, or else we prove ourselves no better, and we give them what they want. You've posted every little bit of this you can, and nothing's changed.

There's alot of Obama's choices I don't agree with, but this is one of the ones that I do. The only arguments for keeping gitmo open are either based in vengeance mentality, or else, they have been based on this idea that someone, because there's a loophole, it makes it okay. It doesn't.

red states rule
02-05-2009, 07:56 AM
no, it called intelilgence. He's right, we cannot abandon our ideals to fight these cowards, or else we prove ourselves no better, and we give them what they want. You've posted every little bit of this you can, and nothing's changed.

There's alot of Obama's choices I don't agree with, but this is one of the ones that I do. The only arguments for keeping gitmo open are either based in vengeance mentality, or else, they have been based on this idea that someone, because there's a loophole, it makes it okay. It doesn't.

and should one. or severa;, of the released terrorists kill innocent people what then?

Pres Obama can hold a press conference and brag how the deaths of innocent people is a small price to pay for America to keep it's "honor"

You do know the terrorists are laughing their asses off at Obama, and the people who support this. This is like a gift from Allah

DannyR
02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
rsr: Just curious, but what is YOUR solution to Gitmo? Kill them? Keep them locked up forever? I hear lots of critiques of Obama's plan, but no viable alternate solutions.

And no, the status quo hasn't made the USA any safer. Yes, these guys go out and possibly kill again. Our treatment of them has made them martyrs that are creating far more terrorists as a result.

This is like a gift from AllahExactly. The terrorists win either way, because Bush totally bungled how he should have treated these guys from the start.

Immanuel
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM

Wouldn't the cost of the jet fuel be more than the cost of the bullet even at today's deflated fuel costs?

I'm definitely not advocating shooting them, but the cost of a bullet is minnimal compared to the cost of the fuel and the pilots' time to fly them over there.

Immie

Immanuel
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Enough said

That is not even close to what he said.

First, I don't believe he's talked about releasing anyone simply closing down the prison. Closing it down doesn't mean releasing the prisoners. They could end up on Alcatraz for all we know.

Second, he said he was concerned that there was a possibility that someone released would do harm to U.S. interests in the future. Do you know that there is a possibility that Jesus Christ will return at precisely midnight tonight Eastern Time.

I highly doubt that he will release ANYONE who the military believes is a credible threat. President Bush would not and did not. I don't believe President Obama will do anything remotely different than President Bush in this regard.

Immie

DannyR
02-05-2009, 03:58 PM
I highly doubt that he will release ANYONE who the military believes is a credible threat.

Problem is, every one of these guys is now a credible threat. They are all martyrs to the cause, and will be used as rallying points no matter how involved they were before they were actually captured.

red states rule
02-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Several hundred have been released, so that is somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20% recidivism rate.

This is not the prison system, this is war and that is unacceptable.

red states rule
02-06-2009, 11:46 AM
How do liberals view Iraq?

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/141912.jpg

Immanuel
02-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Problem is, every one of these guys is now a credible threat. They are all martyrs to the cause, and will be used as rallying points no matter how involved they were before they were actually captured.

And whose fault is that?

No true threat should be released. Hell, if need be do pschye evaluations on them even if it takes three to five years, but at least give them hope of actually attaining their freedom this side of eternity.

I don't think anyone who is a clear and present (or even future) danger to the U.S. should be released. I also do not believe that President Obama or our military leaders would release anyone that was perceived as being a danger.

What the President said in this case was that there is a possibility that down the road someone who was once held might turn against us. It is possible. Basically he was covering his ass. But I don't think we should hold everyone we capture simply because some of them might get pissed off at us in the future and attack us. Weight the possibility on an individual basis and then release those that are not threat while holding those who are or may be.

Immie

DragonStryk72
02-07-2009, 02:54 AM
And whose fault is that?

No true threat should be released. Hell, if need be do pschye evaluations on them even if it takes three to five years, but at least give them hope of actually attaining their freedom this side of eternity.

I don't think anyone who is a clear and present (or even future) danger to the U.S. should be released. I also do not believe that President Obama or our military leaders would release anyone that was perceived as being a danger.

What the President said in this case was that there is a possibility that down the road someone who was once held might turn against us. It is possible. Basically he was covering his ass. But I don't think we should hold everyone we capture simply because some of them might get pissed off at us in the future and attack us. Weight the possibility on an individual basis and then release those that are not threat while holding those who are or may be.

Immie

I have to agree with you here Immie, for these guys, we made all the bullshit they say about us over there real, so how hard would it be to convince them in the aftermath of that, that they need to get rid of all the Americans who are doing that to their fellow Iraqis?

If there are charges to be brought against these people, then bring them. Why are you afraid of justice, RSR? I'm not saying let terrorists run free, I'm saying that if we have them for no crimes at all, then we need to give it up and let them go. If they are terrorists, then we need to get the damn investigation done, and move along with the trials (They're only being halted at this point because of the sheer number of people who are being held without any formal, or even informal charges against them), so that justice can be done. Justice only occurs, though, when the people seeking justice act justly. Loopholes, and backtalk are not a part of that, and can never be made to be.