PDA

View Full Version : Obama uses fear mongering

Yurt
02-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Obama: Catastrophe coming if Congress doesn't act

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Wednesday the recession will turn into "a catastrophe" if the economic stimulus is not passed quickly, lobbying anew for the plan as its price tag climbed above $900 billion and drew more criticism

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090204/ap_on_bi_ge/congress_stimulus

first off, i think he is wrong. second, he (and most dems) is using the same tactics he criticized the bush administration of using...

red states rule
02-04-2009, 01:03 PM

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Wednesday the recession will turn into "a catastrophe" if the economic stimulus is not passed quickly, lobbying anew for the plan as its price tag climbed above $900 billion and drew more criticism

first off, i think he is wrong. second, he (and most dems) is using the same tactics he criticized the bush administration of using...

It would be a catastrophe - it would make the messiah look bad. The liberal media would take a hit after telling voters how Obama would fix everything, and make all their dreams come true

Kathianne
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM

Agreed, jumped out at me a couple minutes ago. Interesting, front pages everywhere, the stimulus is dead in the Senate without changes.

Yurt
02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Agreed, jumped out at me a couple minutes ago. Interesting, front pages everywhere, the stimulus is dead in the Senate without changes.

i guess i just don't see how this stimulus/bailout is a guarantee things won't get worse. obama is effectively saying that if his ideas don't pass in the legislature, then we are for sure going, not just into trouble, but a catclysmic economic event. how does he know this still won't happen with the bailout/stimulus? how can he know for sure that if it doesn't pass it will get that bad?

i just can't see the government continually propping up mtgs, etc and thus keeping a false value on said product(s).

red states rule
02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
i guess i just don't see how this stimulus/bailout is a guarantee things won't get worse. obama is effectively saying that if his ideas don't pass in the legislature, then we are for sure going, not just into trouble, but a catclysmic economic event. how does he know this still won't happen with the bailout/stimulus? how can he know for sure that if it doesn't pass it will get that bad?

i just can't see the government continually propping up mtgs, etc and thus keeping a false value on said product(s).

Dems said the same thing about the first bailout bill

I can only conclude that they have no good ideas and that they do not know how to lead.

Dems need to shut up, lead, and show us the voters the way to the promised land that Obama promised us during his campaign.

GW in Ohio
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM

Actually, you are wrong. Everyone who knows anything about economics agrees that the longer our economy spirals out of control, resulting in lost jobs and reduced production, the harder it will be to fix it.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Actually, you are wrong. Everyone who knows anything about economics agrees that the longer our economy spirals out of control, resulting in lost jobs and reduced production, the harder it will be to fix it.

So the Dems will want to pass what - a $3 trillion pork bill to fix it

Pork and welfare will not do a damn thing to help the economy - but it may make it worse

Yurt
02-04-2009, 02:38 PM

really....everyone....

:rolleyes:

does everyone believe in this fear mongering of obama's....that HIS ideas must be passed, this package must be passed? i don't think so....

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
really....everyone....

Everyone who watchs MSNBC and listens to Air America :rolleyes:

02-04-2009, 07:34 PM

I disagree and I know quite alot about economics. Atleast thats what all my grades said.

For one, you are ignoring one major fact, the recession is fixing the economy. The recession is the correction. What we had before was the illusion. Now you can either once again pretend their is no problem by creating more bubbles. Or you can realize where we are actually at and prepare to lay a stronger foundation for a strong and real growth economy.

02-04-2009, 07:35 PM

It will be a catastrophe. For Obama. He wont get to pay back all those interest groups who gave him money.

Kathianne
02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I disagree and I know quite alot about economics. Atleast thats what all my grades said.

For one, you are ignoring one major fact, the recession is fixing the economy. The recession is the correction. What we had before was the illusion. Now you can either once again pretend their is no problem by creating more bubbles. Or you can realize where we are actually at and prepare to lay a stronger foundation for a strong and real growth economy.

And you may be right:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8342667

Reuters, Wednesday February 4 2009
* World stocks gain on better-than-expected economic data
* US dollar rises after better than expected ISM
* Oil pares gains after data shows big rise in US supplies
* Debt prices sag on better-than-expected economic data (Recasts with U.S. markets, changes dateline; previous LONDON)
By Herbert Lash

NEW YORK, Feb 4 (Reuters) - World stocks rose on Wednesday after better-than-expected U.S. and euro zone economic data eased some of the gloom hanging over financial markets and bolstered the U.S. dollar versus the yen and euro.

Oil pared earlier gains but held above $41 a barrel after government data showed U.S. crude stocks increased more than expected, a sign that demand was still slowing. Crude oil was supported by signs OPEC might increase record supply cuts.

In government debt markets, U.S. Treasuries slumped as the less gloomy data and the government's hefty schedule for new issuance curbed investors' appetite for bonds, sending benchmark yields to fresh two-month highs.

The U.S. dollar rose against the yen after data showed the U.S. services sector was not contracting as quickly but declines in the European currency began earlier with news of a downgrade in Russian sovereign debt....

theHawk
02-04-2009, 09:13 PM

One of the foundations of liberalism is to instill fear about the economy, in order to scare the population into giving more power to the government with the belief it will take care of them.

GW in Ohio
02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
really....everyone....

does everyone believe in this fear mongering of obama's....that HIS ideas must be passed, this package must be passed? i don't think so....

Why don't you stop being an obstructionist horse's ass?

Obama is working with both Republicans and Democrats in Congress to come up with a stimulus bill that everyone can live with.

Both sides are probably going to have to give up some of their wish list items....Republicans-tax cuts...Democrats-entitlement spending.

02-05-2009, 02:00 PM

Obama is working with both Republicans and Democrats in Congress to come up with a stimulus bill that everyone can live with.

Both sides are probably going to have to give up some of their wish list items....Republicans-tax cuts...Democrats-entitlement spending.

Which of course is why every Republican and 12 Democrats voted against this package. Because clearly President Obama is working hard to get bipartisan support.

Yurt
02-05-2009, 02:21 PM

oh i forgot the new democrat memo, if you voice dissent against obama, you are an obstructionist

here, you can have my citizenship card as under your new leader is quite worthless according to you and your ilk

PostmodernProphet
02-05-2009, 02:51 PM

lol....."working with" Republicans means telling them, I won so shut up!.............

Yurt
02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
lol....."working with" Republicans means telling them, I won so shut up!.............

I won, I will trump you on that."