PDA

View Full Version : Senate Lacks Votes to Pass Stimulus

red states rule
02-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Looks like another bad day for Pres Obama. Obama needs to learn
when they get rid of the pork and give more tax cuts then iit will be a stimulus bill.

Till then it is nothing more then bigger government and a mega pork fest

Senate Lacks Votes to Pass Stimulus
Democrats Trying to Trim $900 Billion Plan to Gain GOP Support

Senate Democratic leaders conceded yesterday that they do not have the votes to pass the stimulus bill as currently written and said that to gain bipartisan support, they will seek to cut provisions that would not provide an immediate boost to the economy.

The legislation represents the first major test for President Obama and an expanded Democratic Congress, both of which have made economic recovery the cornerstone of their new political mandate. The stimulus package has now tripled from its post-election estimate of about $300 billion, and in recent days lawmakers in both parties have grown wary of the swelling cost.

Moderate Republicans are trying to trim the bill by as much as $200 billion, although Democrats working with those GOP senators have not agreed to a specific figure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/03/AR2009020304024.html?hpid=topnews

Yurt
02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Looks like another bad day for Pres Obama. Obama needs to learn
when they get rid of the pork and give more tax cuts then iit will be a stimulus bill.

Till then it is nothing more then bigger government and a mega pork fest

Senate Lacks Votes to Pass Stimulus
Democrats Trying to Trim $900 Billion Plan to Gain GOP Support

Senate Democratic leaders conceded yesterday that they do not have the votes to pass the stimulus bill as currently written and said that to gain bipartisan support, they will seek to cut provisions that would not provide an immediate boost to the economy.

The legislation represents the first major test for President Obama and an expanded Democratic Congress, both of which have made economic recovery the cornerstone of their new political mandate. The stimulus package has now tripled from its post-election estimate of about $300 billion, and in recent days lawmakers in both parties have grown wary of the swelling cost.

Moderate Republicans are trying to trim the bill by as much as $200 billion, although Democrats working with those GOP senators have not agreed to a specific figure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/03/AR2009020304024.html?hpid=topnews

that really says alot about obama's fear mongering and priorities

red states rule
02-04-2009, 01:26 PM
that really says alot about obama's fear mongering and priorities

That uis all Obama has left. He can;t talk about what is actually in the bill can he?

I want to see proof that a nation in billions of dollars in debt can fix it's economy by getting into trillions of dollars in debt.

Is that the hope and change we were promised?

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
I think this is all to be expected. I had a good friend who once told me that watching sausage and legislation being made was not a pretty sight. It's politics. The two sides will bargain back and forth... the package will get a cut here and there and a few new tweaks will be added, and then it will go to the president. that is how our government works. to suggest otherwise is sort of naive, IMHO.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I think this is all to be expected. I had a good friend who once told me that watching sausage and legislation being made was not a pretty sight. It's politics. The two sides will bargain back and forth... the package will get a cut here and there and a few new tweaks will be added, and then it will go to the president. that is how our government works. to suggest otherwise is sort of naive, IMHO.

I am shocked - you have friends?

GET RID OF THE PORK AND IT WILL THEN BE A STIMULUS PACKAGE

Why is it so damn hard for Dems to understand this?

Trigg
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
While I think it's a little late for the GOP members to start crying about spening so much money, maybe they have actually learned their lesson.

The stimulus to the banks was horribly mismanaged and the one for the car companies isn't doing any better. They were both a waste of money IMHO.

The republican governors who are asking for money need to get out of line and put their hands back in their pockets, Go home, and see where they can save money instead of asking for MY MONEY.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 01:42 PM
While I think it's a little late for the GOP members to start crying about spening so much money, maybe they have actually learned their lesson.

The stimulus to the banks was horribly mismanaged and the one for the car companies isn't doing any better. They were both a waste of money IMHO.

The republican governors who are asking for money need to get out of line and put their hands back in their pockets, Go home, and see where they can save money instead of asking for MY MONEY.

Trigg you have a great point. Perhaps it took back to back election losses fro them learn this is NOT want the voters want

Baliouts and pork have and never will work

97% of this bill is nothing mroe then welfare payments, and political payoffs

I am glad to see Republicans standing up and saying NO!

Yurt
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM

how preachy

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I am shocked - you have friends?

Why is it so damn hard for Dems to understand this?

you call a needed bridge over the Mississippi pork.:lol:

you claim that a bridge over the Mississippi will be done with public sector workers. :lol:

and there will be a lot of that sort of stuff left in the final product. I'll bet.

and I suggest that you think about knocking off the gratuituous insults. they add nothing to your argument.

Yurt
02-04-2009, 01:47 PM

you claim that a bridge over the Mississippi will be done with public sector workers. :lol:

and there will be a lot of that sort of stuff left in the final product. I'll bet.

and I suggest that you think about knocking off the gratuituous insults. they add nothing to your argument.

pot/kettle...reminds me...

you sound so preachy

red states rule
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM

I call this pork:

Forks of the Road Heritage Trail. This project would greatly enhance one of the primary gateways to our city by creating an African American/Ethnic Heritage Trail along a stretch of St. Catherine Street between the Forks of the Road Slave Market Site

Cost $600,000,000 - 65 jobs

You call it "stimulus"

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
pot/kettle...reminds me...

you sound so preachy

"your choice, stop the insults and debate rationally....or i will most likely simply put you on ignore as you are a waste of time"

try walking the walk.

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
I call this pork:

Forks of the Road Heritage Trail. This project would greatly enhance one of the primary gateways to our city by creating an African American/Ethnic Heritage Trail along a stretch of St. Catherine Street between the Forks of the Road Slave Market Site

Cost $600,000,000 - 65 jobs

You call it "stimulus"

you called the bridge over the mississippi at moline, illinois "pork". you said that it would cost a "trillion" dollars. you said it would be done with "public sector jobs". care to defend those positions or retract them?

or do you just run away and ignore the boneheaded stuff that you say when you are called on it?

Yurt
02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
:rolleyes:

PostmodernProphet
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I had a good friend who once told me that watching sausage and legislation being made was not a pretty sight.

what do you call sausage without pork?.....

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
what do you call sausage without pork?.....

kosher?

red states rule
02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
you called the bridge over the mississippi at moline, illinois "pork". you said that it would cost a "trillion" dollars. you said it would be done with "public sector jobs". care to defend those positions or retract them?

or do you just run away and ignore the boneheaded stuff that you say when you are called on it?

Wrong as uusal

I was in error about the price of a bridge in IL. Seems to be a very high price gioven so few workers would be employed

Must be Chicago style politics at work

Speaking of MS and those vital projects in this bill

Street reconstruction in Columbia MS 10 jobs $35,000,000

Another real bang for the buck project there

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Wrong as uusal

I was in error about the price of a bridge in IL. Seems to be a very high price gioven so few workers would be employed

Must be Chicago style politics at work

Speaking of MS and those vital projects in this bill

Street reconstruction in Columbia MS 10 jobs $35,000,000

Another real bang for the buck project there

you were not only wrong about the price, you were wrong that it was "pork" and you were wrong that it would be done by public sector jobs.

and are you really going to spam this site with one line item at a time from that bill? how boring.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
you were not only wrong about the price, you were wrong that it was "pork" and you were wrong that it would be done by public sector jobs.

and are you really going to spam this site with one line item at a time from that bill? how boring.

400 jobs when the government is spending nearly $1 billion - seems like an overpriced pork project to me

Like Obama and Dems, the last thing you want is for people to actually see what the hell is in this bill

But hey Virgil, feel free to leave AGAIN if you do not like the content of the board - or do not reply to the posts

Your choice

Yurt
02-04-2009, 02:01 PM
kosher?

keep the jewish stuff to a minimum

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:10 PM
400 jobs when the government is spending nearly $1 billion - seems like an overpriced pork project to me

Like Obama and Dems, the last thing you want is for people to actually see what the hell is in this bill

But hey Virgil, feel free to leave AGAIN if you do not like the content of the board - or do not reply to the posts

Your choice

and again...if you think that you can tear down two aging spans across the mississippi and build an interstate bridge over that river at that point with only 400 PUBLIC SECTOR employees, you are loony.

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:10 PM
keep the jewish stuff to a minimum

why? it was a correct answer to the question asked.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
and again...if you think that you can tear down two aging spans across the mississippi and build an interstate bridge over that river at that point with only 400 PUBLIC SECTOR employees, you are loony.

What is the cost per job?

What is $1 billion divided by 400 Virgil

Not much bang for the buck when you consider the cost will go up - as with most government jobs

Please put down the Scotch while posting

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
What is the cost per job?

What is $1 billion divided by 400 Virgil

Not much bang for the buck when you consider the cost will go up - as with most government jobs

Please put down the Scotch while posting

again...if you think you can tear down two aging spans across the mississippi and build an interstate bridge over that river at that point with only 400 PUBLIC SECTOR employees, you are loony.

Yurt
02-04-2009, 02:17 PM
why? it was a correct answer to the question asked.

because i asked it, thank you in advance for your cooperation.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
again...if you think you can tear down two aging spans across the mississippi and build an interstate bridge over that river at that point with only 400 PUBLIC SECTOR employees, you are loony.

Eh, Virgil - thqat is what the Dems put in the bill. I am going by THEIR NUMBERS

Of course we are tallking Chicago. I am sure you will have a couple hundred no show jobs, and the relativies of Chicago politicans will get jobs - which means the cost will soar will above $1 billion

Which is what I said in the beginning

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Eh, Virgil - thqat is what the Dems put in the bill. I am going by THEIR NUMBERS

Of course we are tallking Chicago. I am sure you will have a couple hundred no show jobs, and the relativies of Chicago politicans will get jobs - which means the cost will soar will above $1 billion

Which is what I said in the beginning

I don't care what number they put in the bill...I am asking YOU if you think that you could tear down two aging spans across the mississippi and replace them with only 400 public sector workers for less than a billion dollars?

And Chicago is on the other side of the state. The quad cities has a lot of contracting capacity.

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
because i asked it, thank you in advance for your cooperation.

I can't point out that pork free sausage is sometimes called kosher? because you asked it????:lol:

thank you in advance for refraining from such weirdness going forward.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't care what number they put in the bill...I am asking YOU if you think that you could tear down two aging spans across the mississippi and replace them with only 400 public sector workers for less than a billion dollars?

And Chicago is on the other side of the state. The quad cities has a lot of contracting capacity.

I am saying the oprice will go up, the time to do the work will increase, and the make work project will be a money pit

Like most projects the Feds get involved in

This seems to be a job for the state of IL. Given the tax rates, they should have the money in petty cash

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
I am saying the oprice will go up, the time to do the work will increase, and the make work project will be a money pit

Like most projects the Feds get involved in

This seems to be a job for the state of IL. Given the tax rates, they should have the money in petty cash

it is a bridge on the interstate highway system between two states. and why do you keep running away from simple questions? do you honestly think that you could, using only 400 public sector employees, tear down two aging spans across the mississippi and build two replacement spans over a river more than a half a mile wide, and do it all for less than 900 million dollars?

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
it is a bridge on the interstate highway system between two states. and why do you keep running away from simple questions? do you honestly think that you could, using only 400 public sector employees, tear down two aging spans across the mississippi and build two replacement spans over a river more than a half a mile wide, and do it all for less than 900 million dollars?

Once again Virgil, I am going by what the link says. Did Dems lie about the cost and location of the project?

I-74 Bridge replacement

Moline IL

400 Jobs

$950,000,000 Streets/Roads

Yurt
02-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I can't point out that pork free sausage is sometimes called kosher? because you asked it????:lol:

thank you in advance for refraining from such weirdness going forward.

just keep the jewish rhetoric down...thanks!

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
just keep the jewish rhetoric down...thanks!

if it comes up in conversation, I won't hesitate to discuss it. Why? Will all of your muslim pals you met in the middle east when you were eight be upset?

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
if it comes up in conversation, I won't hesitate to discuss it. Why? Will all of your muslim pals you met in the middle east when you were eight be upset?

Well Virgil is out to derail another thread

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Once again Virgil, I am going by what the link says. Did Dems lie about the cost and location of the project?

I-74 Bridge replacement

Moline IL

400 Jobs

$950,000,000 Streets/Roads

and we are going around in circles. I could care less what the bill says... I asked you a simple question. You have been wrong about most aspects of that bridge since you first brought it up...

and there is no lying there about the location. if you knew anything about the geography of the area, you would know that I-74 crosses the Mississippi River between Moline, Illinois and Bettendorf, Iowa... and that the river is more than half a mile wide at that point.

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Well Virgil is out to derail another thread

why aren't you jumping on yurt for derailing the thread with his silly demands to knock off discussing anything jewish?

hypocrite

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
and we are going around in circles. I could care less what the bill says... I asked you a simple question. You have been wrong about most aspects of that bridge since you first brought it up...

and there is no lying there about the location. if you knew anything about the geography of the area, you would know that I-74 crosses the Mississippi River between Moline, Illinois and Bettendorf, Iowa... and that the river is more than half a mile wide at that point.

When have you ever cared about facts Virgil?

I post what is in the bill, and you claim to know better

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 02:58 PM
When have you ever cared about facts Virgil?

I post what is in the bill, and you claim to know better

I asked you.... do YOU think that tearing down two aging spans across the mississippi and erecting two new ones could be done with only 400 employees? Do you think that there would be any economic activity at, say, steel mills and heavy equipment manufacturing firms and sand and gravel companies and asphalt companies as a result of this job that would generate any jobs there? Do you think that much needed infrastructure repair is a good project to use to stimulate the economy? Do you really think that such needed repairs to our infrastructure is "pork"?

red states rule
02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I asked you.... do YOU think that tearing down two aging spans across the mississippi and erecting two new ones could be done with only 400 employees? Do you think that there would be any economic activity at, say, steel mills and heavy equipment manufacturing firms and sand and gravel companies and asphalt companies as a result of this job that would generate any jobs there? Do you think that much needed infrastructure repair is a good project to use to stimulate the economy? Do you really think that such needed repairs to our infrastructure is "pork"?

And I am telling you what the bill says

I have also said, the cost will be alot more the $1 billion, and it will turn out to be a money pit - like most of these projects. It happens everytime government has make work projects. They have to make the work

But you Dems say government spending is the only way to bring back the economy - so what are you bitching about Virgil?

In 6 months YOUR PARTY will own this economy

Yurt
02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
why aren't you jumping on yurt for derailing the thread with his silly demands to knock off discussing anything jewish?

hypocrite

whiner

red states rule
02-04-2009, 03:08 PM
whiner

Go easy on Virgil he had a hard morning. He stuck his head out the window to yell at the paper boy for missing the porch, and was arrested for mooning

Yurt
02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Go easy on Virgil he had a hard morning. He stuck his head out the window to yell at the paper boy for missing the porch, and was arrested for mooning

i hadn't heard that one, thats pretty funny

red states rule
02-04-2009, 03:16 PM
i hadn't heard that one, thats pretty funny

I think it fits him very well

His picture is a sight to behold. He looks like Bigfoot

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
And I am telling you what the bill says

I have also said, the cost will be alot more the $1 billion, and it will turn out to be a money pit - like most of these projects. It happens everytime government has make work projects. They have to make the work

But you Dems say government spending is the only way to bring back the economy - so what are you bitching about Virgil?

In 6 months YOUR PARTY will own this economy

I understand what the bill says. Are you incapable of discussing the project beyond that? And wasn't it you who was complaining there wasn't enough infrastructure work in the package? Why did you pick this bridge to bitch about? It seems like a perfectly good use of stimulus funds... it creates jobs, it stimulates a lot of other industries that will have to supply the structural components, AND it fixes badly decaying infrastructure.

Please. I have asked you nicely. please call me MD... my name is not virgil.

Do you want to carry on a civil debate or don't you?

red states rule
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I understand what the bill says. Are you incapable of discussing the project beyond that? And wasn't it you who was complaining there wasn't enough infrastructure work in the package? Why did you pick this bridge to bitch about? It seems like a perfectly good use of stimulus funds... it creates jobs, it stimulates a lot of other industries that will have to supply the structural components, AND it fixes badly decaying infrastructure.

Please. I have asked you nicely. please call me MD... my name is not virgil.

Do you want to carry on a civil debate or don't you?

Like the Big Dig - it will be a money pit for for taxpayer money. But hey, government spending is what Dems say is the cure all for the nations problems

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Like the Big Dig - it will be a money pit for for taxpayer money. But hey, government spending is what Dems say is the cure all for the nations problems

that is your prediction. YOu still failed to address the points I raised.

red states rule
02-04-2009, 04:56 PM
that is your prediction. YOu still failed to address the points I raised.

The only point you raised Virgil is the one on top of your head :laugh2:

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
The only point you raised Virgil is the one on top of your head :laugh2:

I guess this answers my PM question.

thanks.

PostmodernProphet
02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
gotta love the way you two turn a thread into a total waste of time in a single day.....

Kathianne
02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
gotta love the way you two turn a thread into a total waste of time in a single day.....

Indeed. One would think the mods would clean it up, but nah. Whoops. I have to go deal with the stuff for my students. Besides, it gets the post count up.