PDA

View Full Version : $500K spent on Dem caucus retreats

Yurt
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM
$500K spent on Dem caucus retreats

By Susan Crabtree
Posted: 02/03/09 07:10 PM [ET]
The House Democratic Caucus spent more than $500,000 in taxpayer money over the past five years for its annual retreats at resorts in Pennsylvania and Virginia.

On Thursday, Democrats will head to the Kingsmill Resort and Spa in historic Williamsburg, Va., for the three-day planning powwow. The resort boasts multiple championship golf courses, a full-service spa and six restaurants.

Democratic leadership sources were reluctant to talk about any aspect of the trip, but they defended it as an important planning session for the entire country.

The topic is particularly sensitive this year after several Democratic lawmakers slammed American International Group (AIG) executives for spending more than $440,000 at a company retreat in Monarch Beach, Calif., just days after the federal government bailed the company out with $85 billion in taxpayer funds.

Several Democratic lawmakers also excoriated banking and financial companies for flying in corporate jets to Washington to testify before several committees about their need for billions more in bailout money.

Democrats spend the most money, however, on transportation.

Since 2005, the caucus has chartered an Amtrak train to ferry members to the Kingsmill resort. It costs roughly $70,000 each year for the Amtrak charter. Democratic aides argue it’s necessary so that members can spend time together and not end up taking separate cars and arriving at staggered times. Traveling by train also helps ensure the safety of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who is second in the line of succession to the presidency and requires constant security detail. In this case, the source said, security helicopters fly above the train.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/500k-spent-on-dem-caucus-retreats-2009-02-03.html

another do as i say not as i do

and seriously, why does pelosi need so much security? what about the 5th person in line, do they get security? nobody cares about pelosi...good lord, why would they attack her when both the vp and prez are alive and well? oh, because she "might" become president if both die?

too much

Kathianne
02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
$500K spent on Dem caucus retreats

By Susan Crabtree
Posted: 02/03/09 07:10 PM [ET]
The House Democratic Caucus spent more than $500,000 in taxpayer money over the past five years for its annual retreats at resorts in Pennsylvania and Virginia.

On Thursday, Democrats will head to the Kingsmill Resort and Spa in historic Williamsburg, Va., for the three-day planning powwow. The resort boasts multiple championship golf courses, a full-service spa and six restaurants.

Democratic leadership sources were reluctant to talk about any aspect of the trip, but they defended it as an important planning session for the entire country.

The topic is particularly sensitive this year after several Democratic lawmakers slammed American International Group (AIG) executives for spending more than $440,000 at a company retreat in Monarch Beach, Calif., just days after the federal government bailed the company out with $85 billion in taxpayer funds.

Several Democratic lawmakers also excoriated banking and financial companies for flying in corporate jets to Washington to testify before several committees about their need for billions more in bailout money.

Democrats spend the most money, however, on transportation.

Since 2005, the caucus has chartered an Amtrak train to ferry members to the Kingsmill resort. It costs roughly $70,000 each year for the Amtrak charter. Democratic aides argue it’s necessary so that members can spend time together and not end up taking separate cars and arriving at staggered times. Traveling by train also helps ensure the safety of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who is second in the line of succession to the presidency and requires constant security detail. In this case, the source said, security helicopters fly above the train.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/500k-spent-on-dem-caucus-retreats-2009-02-03.html

another do as i say not as i do

and seriously, why does pelosi need so much security? what about the 5th person in line, do they get security? nobody cares about pelosi...good lord, why would they attack her when both the vp and prez are alive and well? oh, because she "might" become president if both die?

too much
But they are going there to 'think', 'plan', and 'project'....

hjmick
02-04-2009, 08:44 PM
They're just doing their part to stimulate the economy.

Yurt
02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
But they are going there to 'think', 'plan', and 'project'....

:laugh2:

They're just doing their part to stimulate the economy.

i'm telling you, give me the money and i will guarantee you a stimulated economy

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 09:15 PM
are they spending taxpayer dollars from the TARP?

Yurt
02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
are they spending taxpayer dollars from the TARP?

not if it is the tarp you live under

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
not if it is the tarp you live under

gratuitous insults.... anything BUT mature and intellectual, yurt.

tsk tsk

Kathianne
02-04-2009, 09:58 PM
More ignore posts.