PDA

View Full Version : Killer Shrimp

hjmick
02-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Killer Shrimp was a restaurant on Washington Bl in Marina Del Rey and there was on on Colfax in Studio City. They made the best shrimp in the area, very similar to Louisiana BBQ shrimp (which isn't actually BBQ-ed, I haven't figured out why it's called BBQ). It's spicy, but in my opinion could be a bit spicier. I guess it depends onyour taste.

Anyway...

It was a favorite spot for the Mrs and I, until they closed up shop last year, after about twenty years. Well, for her birthday, she wanted Killer Shrimp. With no place to go to get it, I was forced to make it myself.

The following is the recipe I used. It is damn close to KS and, with a little tweaking, I am confident I will hit the perfect note, eventually...

Killer Shrimp:

2 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon black pepper
5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
8 ounces clam juice
3 ounces tomato paste
2 or 3 dashes tabasco
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
3 tablespoons beer (more or less)
1 cup white wine
1 1/2 pounds raw peeled shrimp, with tails
French bread, for dipping

Place all ingredients, except wine and shrimp, in a large pot. Simmer for about 30 minutes and add wine. Continue to simmer for a total cooking time of no more than 2 hours.

Just before serving, add raw shrimp. Simmer until shrimp is done, stirring, about 2 to 3 minutes.

The dish is eaten with your fingers. Soak up the broth with the bread.

moderate democrat
02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
sounds wonderful!

Jeff
02-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Sounds great , I will have to try it :thumb:

Mr. P
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Damn! With all that stuff in there I bet you can't even taste the shrimp.

jackass
02-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Costco has a bunch of new shrimp in the seafood roadshow that they do every weekend. Its really good. You should try it.

Yurt
02-05-2009, 05:12 PM
thats an awesome recipe. i love the simmering of the sauce for that time, i'll have to try this method. thanks.