PDA

View Full Version : Is This Leadership?

red states rule
02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Pres Obama has an op-ed in the Washington Post this morning - defending his stimulus bill

This is not a good example of leadership. Instead of writing to a newspaper, why not have the obvious pork taken out of the bill,(which Obama and Speaker Pelosi promised wuld not be in the bill) and actually do things that will give the economy a jolt NOW - and not 2 years down the road

Besides several factual errors in his op-ed, it sounds like Pres Obama expects Congress to rubber stamp whatever he send to Capital Hill with no questions asked

The Action Americans Need

By Barack Obama
Thursday, February 5, 2009; Page A17

By now, it's clear to everyone that we have inherited an economic crisis as deep and dire as any since the days of the Great Depression. Millions of jobs that Americans relied on just a year ago are gone; millions more of the nest eggs families worked so hard to build have vanished. People everywhere are worried about what tomorrow will bring.

What Americans expect from Washington is action that matches the urgency they feel in their daily lives -- action that's swift, bold and wise enough for us to climb out of this crisis.

Because each day we wait to begin the work of turning our economy around, more people lose their jobs, their savings and their homes. And if nothing is done, this recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/04/AR2009020403174.html

Classact
02-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Pres Obama has an op-ed in the Washington Post this morning - defending his stimulus bill

This is not a good example of leadership. Instead of writing to a newspaper, why not have the obvious pork taken out of the bill,(which Obama and Speaker Pelosi promised wuld not be in the bill) and actually do things that will give the economy a jolt NOW - and not 2 years down the road

Besides several factual errors in his op-ed, it sounds like Pres Obama expects Congress to rubber stamp whatever he send to Capital Hill with no questions asked

The Action Americans Need

By Barack Obama
Thursday, February 5, 2009; Page A17

By now, it's clear to everyone that we have inherited an economic crisis as deep and dire as any since the days of the Great Depression. Millions of jobs that Americans relied on just a year ago are gone; millions more of the nest eggs families worked so hard to build have vanished. People everywhere are worried about what tomorrow will bring.

What Americans expect from Washington is action that matches the urgency they feel in their daily lives -- action that's swift, bold and wise enough for us to climb out of this crisis.

Because each day we wait to begin the work of turning our economy around, more people lose their jobs, their savings and their homes. And if nothing is done, this recession might linger for years. Our economy will lose 5 million more jobs. Unemployment will approach double digits. Our nation will sink deeper into a crisis that, at some point, we may not be able to reverse.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/04/AR2009020403174.htmlAre you scared yet? Democrats used to claim all Republicans can do is scare everyone into supporting their agenda... how quickly they forget. Do it my way even if it looks stupid I'm your only help.

red states rule
02-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Are you scared yet? Democrats used to claim all Republicans can do is scare everyone into supporting their agenda... how quickly they forget. Do it my way even if it looks stupid I'm your only help.

Everytime the Bush administration released infomation about pending terrorist attacks, or how attacks were prevented - the left went into a tizzy about how Pres Bush wanted to keep the public is a constant state of fear

Seems Dems said the same thing about the first bailout bill. Yet only part of that momey has been spent and damn - the sun still comes up every morning

But remember, Pelosi said until this bill is passed, 500 million Americans will lose thir jobs EVERY MONTH

Yurt
02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
fear monger

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 06:12 AM

What errors?

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 06:19 AM

First, the bill has no pork in it. Every penny to be spent represents income to someone. That's what a stimulus is supposed to be.

Secondly, an effective stimulus has has to include long-term stability. The economic inputs have to span more than just a few months so that investors will have confidence their investments will continue to produce returns in the years to come.

red states rule
02-06-2009, 06:29 AM
What errors?

The first error : "economic crisis as deep and dire as any since the days of the Great Depression."

The economy of Jimmy Carter was much worse then our current economy.

Obama is getting desperate as public opinion is going agaist him. The more they seen what is in this mega pork bill - the less they like it

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 07:09 AM
The first error : "economic crisis as deep and dire as any since the days of the Great Depression."

The economy of Jimmy Carter was much worse then our current economy.

On what basis?

Obama is getting desperate as public opinion is going agaist him. The more they seen what is in this mega pork bill - the less they like it

Nonsense.

Apparently, he decided he's going to have to deal with Republicon obstructionism.

It's sad, really, that the President has to do it. You'd think the Republicons would be too embarrassed to obstruct solutions to problems they created.

I guess their partisan interests mean more to them than does the welfare of the country.

red states rule
02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
On what basis?

Nonsense.

Apparently, he decided he's going to have to deal with Republicon obstructionism.

It's sad, really, that the President has to do it. You'd think the Republicons would be too embarrassed to obstruct solutions to problems they created.

I guess their partisan interests mean more to them than does the welfare of the country.

Joe, in 1980, the Carter economy was much worse

21% prime rate, double digit inflation, and near double digit unemployment

If government spending is the answer, the spending of the Dem Congress in the last 2 years should have put the economy in a state of utopia

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Joe, in 1980, the Carter economy was much worse

21% prime rate, double digit inflation, and near double digit unemployment

If government spending is the answer, the spending of the Dem Congress in the last 2 years should have put the economy in a state of utopia

The measure of economic performance is GDP and its rate of growth. Average GDP growth for the Carter years was 3.3%. For the Bush years through 2007, the average is 2.3% and GDP growth for 2008 is going to be negative so the average will drop even further. The economy now is worse than Carter's.

The average for 1946 through 2007 is 3.1%.

red states rule
02-06-2009, 07:46 AM
The measure of economic performance is GDP and its rate of growth. Average GDP for the Carter years was 3.3%. For the Bush years through 2007, the average is 2.3% and GDP for 2008 is going to be negative so the average will drop even further. The economy now is worse than Carter's.

By all means Joe, ignore how folks suffered under Carter and the liberal Congress

Obama is going with the same failed Carter polices, and he will get the same results

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 07:52 AM
By all means Joe, ignore how folks suffered under Carter and the liberal Congress

Obama is going with the same failed Carter polices, and he will get the same results

I'm not ignoring anything. I'm correcting your factual errors.

red states rule
02-06-2009, 07:56 AM
I'm not ignoring anything. I'm correcting your factual errors.

No factual errors Joe. I lived through the Carter years and I remember them well

Like Obama, you want to forget how rotten the economy was under Carter. It was much worse then todays economy

Obama is now whining about the GOP doing its job and 'picking' at the DEMOCRAT written plan

He says " we can pick and pick at little things, we know how that goes here in Washington, we have done that in the past. But the time for that has ended. we have to come together"

Obama makes it sound like the GOP should just go along with everything the democrats do. Doesn't he understand that the GOP is doing their job, by "picking away at" liberal pork?

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
No factual errors Joe. I lived throught eh Carter years and I rememebr them well

Like Obama, you want to forget how rotten the economy was under Carter. It was much worse then todays economy

I just showed you the numbers. Why are you ignoring them?

red states rule
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
it really gets me that the Dems start off not letting the GOP get any changes, in the House, and then get upset when the GOP in the Senate oppose the current bill.

Obama talks out of both sides of his mouth. The same speech, he says how important it is to have two parties, and that's how our founding fathers set it up. He then gripes about people picking on the plan.

And I thought Obama stated that he would strip any pork out of these bills - go line by line and cut the waste and pork