View Full Version : A Great Read And Truthful Comments

OCA
02-05-2009, 03:20 PM
THURSDAY 5 FEBRUARY 2009

Truthout Original

Tear Down This Myth
Wednesday 28 January 2009

by: Will Bunch, t r u t h o u t | Perspective

President Ronald Reagan. (Photo: Jeff Taylor / AP)
Last week didn't only mark the inauguration of Barack Obama. January 20, 2009, was also a less noticed anniversary - marking 20 years to the day that the 40th president, Ronald Reagan, said his final goodbye to the Oval Office. During those two decades since, the world evolved, and the man who some called a Great Communicator and others called a "Teflon president" passed away - yet, watching last year's presidential race unfold, you might have been excused if you'd thought Reagan was somehow on the ballot. In debates and in countless TV ads - mainly but not exclusively on the GOP side - a return to Reagan-era orthodoxy in tax cuts or building up the military remained on the front burner of US politics. This, even as the American economy was collapsing from the weight of rising debt, unfettered greed on Wall Street and shortsighted energy policies - all of which trace back to the 1980s and Reagan's toxic legacy.

The fact that the myth of Ronald Reagan - promoted and perverted by a modern generation of neoconservatives - persists even with the start of the Obama administration, makes it clear that this warped legend won't die - unless we work to combat it, That's why I wrote "Tear Down This Myth: How the Reagan Legacy Has Distorted Our Politics and Haunts Our Future." The book has just been released by Free Press and one can receive news by joining the official Facebook group here.

Link: http://www.truthout.org/012809L

5stringJeff
02-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I can count on one hand the number of Republicans that could be considered Reagan-esque in their approach to government.

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I can count on one hand the number of Republicans that could be considered Reagan-esque in their approach to government.

Comparing politicians to an ideal is an interesting idea.

Why don't you try to count the number of Republicans who could be considered Hitleresque in their approach to government.

5stringJeff
02-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Comparing politicians to an ideal is an interesting idea.

Why don't you try to count the number of Republicans who could be considered Hitleresque in their approach to government.

Because I'm neither Republican nor fascist. I am, however, very interested in shrinking the size and scope of government, which is why I'm interested in electing politicians (mainly Libertarians, but I'll take what I can get at this point) who will work to shrink the government.

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Because I'm neither Republican nor fascist. I am, however, very interested in shrinking the size and scope of government, which is why I'm interested in electing politicians (mainly Libertarians, but I'll take what I can get at this point) who will work to shrink the government.

Small government is prescription for barbarism. Without government, civilization cannot exist.

5stringJeff
02-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Small government is prescription for barbarism. Without government, civilization cannot exist.

Government exists only to protect the God-given rights of its citizens. Any further function of government only serves to decrease the rights of its citizens.

musicman
02-09-2009, 05:34 AM
What was your opinion of the Boland amendment, OCA? Was it OK for the Legislative branch to crap all over the Constitution, and usurp the President's power to conduct foreign policy? This was the precipitator of Iran-Contra, you know.

Had President Reagan waited around for the Supreme Court to strike down Boland as the unconstitutional farce it was (which it eventually did, of course), Soviet expansionism into the western hemisphere would have spread like a cancer. We might be looking at a very different world today.

This is why entities like Truthout only speak of Iran-Contra in vague, boogey-man type generalities. Democrats emerge from any honest, thorough examination of the episode looking a hell of a lot worse than President Reagan does. Truthout isn't interested in tearing down any myths - only perpetuating them.

PostmodernProphet
02-09-2009, 07:00 AM

out of curiosity, would you claim that the bigger the government, the greater the civilization?.......

Psychoblues
02-09-2009, 07:23 AM
This ought to be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carry on, cowgirls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues