PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Driving and the Death Penalty

Joe Steel
02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm not a death penalty supporter but this guy deserves it.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/0/e432ddbbeb914bd186257555001475fa/$FILE/STG12982/STG12982.gif?OpenElement

After six convictions for drunken-driving offenses, Newton M. Keene, left, wanted his license back.

In a petition filed in August in St. Louis County Circuit Court, his lawyers argued that he hadn't had an alcohol conviction in several years.

The state of Missouri had taken his license in 1997, and his driving privileges were revoked indefinitely in Illinois, too. But that didn't stop him from being behind the wheel Thursday morning.

Keene, 46, was drunk, authorities said, when he drove the wrong way on Illinois 255 in Edwardsville, causing a crash that killed a woman, her friend and one of her two children and injured the second child.

Driver in crash had long record of drunken driving (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/E432DDBBEB914BD186257555001475FA?OpenDocument)

5stringJeff
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Certainly, he should be in jail for the rest of his life.

gabosaurus
02-06-2009, 06:17 PM
I am in favor of a life sentence for anyone causing a fatality accident while driving drunk.
Anyone convicted of a second DWI accident should be barred from driving for the rest of their lives.

Little-Acorn
02-06-2009, 07:09 PM
A girl I knew well, was killed by a drunk driver in Summit County, Colorado. He turned out to have many drunk-driving arrests and two DWI prior crashes. This was his first fatality, they said.

Not sure I favor a life sentence, but I'm close. Certainly 10+ years in the slammer so he can think things over.

Certainly take his license away for good when he gets out. But how do you keep him from getting behind the wheel anyway, like the guy in the OP did?

I am in favor of a life sentence for anyone causing a fatality accident while driving drunk.

Stick with that line, and Massachusetts will lose its senior Senator.

You make a good argument.

REDWHITEBLUE2
02-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Drunk Drivers that kill Innocent people deserve nothing less then the death penalty

moderate democrat
02-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Certainly, he should be in jail for the rest of his life.

I agree completely

My Winter Storm
02-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Jail him, then there is no need to take away his licence. Imagine having a licence but no way to use it...

Joe Steel
02-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Maybe alcoholism is curable. If it is, then maybe a long prison sentence is enough. I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble on the cure, though. When a drunken driver gets out of prison, there's nothing to stop him from doing what put him in prison. The sure way to make him safe is a life sentence or the death penalty.

emmett
02-07-2009, 09:17 AM
I like it when everyone basically agrees on sonething.... like drunk driving. One of the most irresponsible things a person can do on earth is drive drunk!!!!

I am all for on board monitors! Any.... ANY person who has ever been convicted of DUI should not be allowed to drive a car without a monitor, even when sober. If they are caught, their license should be revoked for life.....PERIOD! I also believe a person convicted should be kept track of... like a molestor. Register your residence!

Drunk Drivers are of the most dangerous people we live with. Personally I think a first time conviction should draw a one year sentence, whether you are a common citizen, a Kennedy relative or a judge. One rule.... everybody! Second conviction, 5 years in prison. Third......Life with no parole!

Most of the problem is that the law is applied to different people... different ways. Drunk driving is what it is! DRUNKEN DANGEROUS DRIVING!

I am certain that if someone knew they would go to prison for one year...guarenteed..it would deter many, if not most from doing it! I personally hate drunk drivers.... as if you couldn't tell. I have been struck on three occasions by drunk drivers. Never hurt fortunately. I have lost two very good friends who were killed by drunk drivers.

As for a death sentence.... no, that is a bit extreme! Although I oppose it I realize that if it were a member of my family I would be capable of reacting.... strongly!

What a good thread... I hope it is talked about often. It is a subject that draws folks together. Everyone needs to write their legislators and influence them to bring about stronger laws regarding this matter. I do.

Psychoblues
02-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Are extreme positions the norm nowadays?!???????!?!?!???!?

Could I offer you one for the road?!?!???!?!?!??!?!?!?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

emmett
02-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Are extreme positions the norm nowadays?!???????!?!?!???!?

Could I offer you one for the road?!?!???!?!?!??!?!?!?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Extreme? Really Psycho! I'd say the amopunt of deaths on our roads due to this selfish behavior is EXTREME!!!!

Joe Steel
02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
As for a death sentence.... no, that is a bit extreme! Although I oppose it I realize that if it were a member of my family I would be capable of reacting.... strongly!

Here's John Paul II on the death penalty:

This is the context in which to place the problem of the death penalty. On this matter there is a growing tendency, both in the Church and in civil society, to demand that it be applied in a very limited way or even that it be abolished completely. The problem must be viewed in the context of a system of penal justice ever more in line with human dignity and thus, in the end, with God's plan for man and society. The primary purpose of the punishment which society inflicts is "to redress the disorder caused by the offence".46 Public authority must redress the violation of personal and social rights by imposing on the offender an adequate punishment for the crime, as a condition for the offender to regain the exercise of his or her freedom. In this way authority also fulfils the purpose of defending public order and ensuring people's safety, while at the same time offering the offender an incentive and help to change his or her behaviour and be rehabilitated.47

It is clear that, for these purposes to be achieved, the nature and extent of the punishment must be carefully evaluated and decided upon, and ought not go to the extreme of executing the offender except in cases of absolute necessity: in other words, when it would not be possible otherwise to defend society. Today however, as a result of steady improvements in the organization of the penal system, such cases are very rare, if not practically non-existent.

EVANGELIUM VITAE (The Gospel of Life) (http://www.ewtn.com/library/ENCYC/JP2EVANG.HTM)

I agree with the Pope. As long as we can be assured the offender will not be a danger to society, the death penalty probably is unnecessary.

The question is, can we trust our Governors? Will they resist the urge to pardon an influential offender if they have to forgo the political gain it might create?

Trinity
02-07-2009, 10:43 AM
There was this guy who bought the house next to mine 10 years ago when my boy's were 1 and 3. He had been convicted on 7 DUI's, all though here they are called OVI"s now. He had lost his license, but was still driving everyday to go to work and half the time he was drunk. I called and reported it many times, however I was told "nothing they could, do unless they catch him themselves."

Here's a story that just happen a few months ago. Not to far from where I live now.............

LEBANON, Ohio -- A Warren County judge accused of drunken driving berated the state trooper who pulled him over, according to video footage shot by police.

The arrest took place in October, but recently released videotape showed Common Pleas Court Judge James Heath urging the trooper not to arrest him.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/18659849/detail.html

5stringJeff
02-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Here's John Paul II on the death penalty:

I agree with the Pope. As long as we can be assured the offender will not be a danger to society, the death penalty probably is unnecessary.

The question is, can we trust our Governors? Will they resist the urge to pardon an influential offender if they have to forgo the political gain it might create?

I agree with the Pope as well, although I can't imagine what political gain could be had from pardoning a drunk driver who killed someone.

Joe Steel
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree with the Pope as well, although I can't imagine what political gain could be had from pardoning a drunk driver who killed someone.

Ted Kennedy often is mentioned in conjunction with drunken driving. What if he were in prison for his incident? His family has quite a bit of political influence and could put pressure on the governor.

5stringJeff
02-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Ted Kennedy often is mentioned in conjunction with drunken driving. What if he were in prison for his incident? His family has quite a bit of political influence and could put pressure on the governor.

Yeah, I suppose I could see that.