PDA

View Full Version : First Daddy-Daughter Day at the Gun Club

darin
02-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Today my daughter accompanied me to the gun club. She borrowed a .22LR from a coworker I met who was shooting there.

She loved it. She probably shot 60-100 rounds out of the revolver. After we shot paper, I moved her to the steel targets in another lane. These were torso-sized, about 15 yard away.

She has been begging for a pistol when she turns 10 in june. After seeing her enjoyment today, I'm inclined to pick something up for her. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VsmsyTj4c

http://www.d-mphotos.com/images/misc/alaina_22_revolver.jpg

She also, after a little coaxing, got behind a 9mm Glock. She fired one round - the shell casing ejected into her forehead, and that was enough of that. No wounds - but it, coupled with the boom, caused her a bit of nervousness. We went back to the .22.

I'm proud she tried though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNXNMDzwtCI

I also squeezed off a few with my XD40 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gfv70l-r18

All-told I'm fantastically proud of my daughter - the entire time she was conscientious of what she was doing - where people were - the point of the barrel, and the general respect for what we were doing and the consequence of a 'mistake' - even an honest mistake.

crin63
02-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Well done! My daughter loved it so much when she went with me. Heres my daughter shooting my 12ga and Taurus 9mm her 2nd outing a couple months ago, she's 14.

darin
02-08-2009, 06:41 PM
excellent, CR! She'll be an inspiration to my daughter! :)

Kathianne
02-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I must say, I've never seen a bad pic of women with a gun. Now, I may go for training and kill that. ;)

Both of your daughters are knockouts for their ages. You should both be very proud.

jimnyc
02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I want to see Mary shooting....

... in a bikini :coffee:

darin
02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
HA :) Jim - I just wanna get her OUT there to the range...if I do, the NEXT time I'll ask her about the bikini.

:p

:)

Kath - The event made for great daddy-daughter bonding. :)

jimnyc
02-08-2009, 07:38 PM
HA :) Jim - I just wanna get her OUT there to the range...if I do, the NEXT time I'll ask her about the bikini.

Well, if you cant get her out to the range, a bikini shot from home will suffice!

jackass
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Very cool Darin. Both my kids loved it when we did it at a friends house.

Noir
02-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Am I the only one that see's some disturbing in a 9 year old girl wanting a gun for her birthday? I'm pretty sure I wanted a go-cart when I was 9, not a pistol!

Nukeman
02-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Am I the only one that see's some disturbing in a 9 year old girl wanting a gun for her birthday? I'm pretty sure I wanted a go-cart when I was 9, not a pistol!
That would probably be because YOU never fired a gun before. I received my first 22 rifle when I was 10 or 11. Great little rifle I still have it today and it is in excellent shape. Just because YOU don't want one don't put your preconceived notions on others. There is NOTHING wrong with a younger person wanting a gun for their birthday. In fact I find it comforting that she will know how to use and how to respect a gun for its intended use.. What you should be worried about are those "repressed" children that NEVER get the opportunity to fire a real gun and when they find one are so enthralled they have NO sense on what to do with it and are dangerous with it.....

Do you also find it disturbing that EVERY male at age 18 is required to own a assault rifle in Finland????

darin
02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
My daughter is well-aware of the positives of guns. Things like "Freedom from Nazism' and 'Slavery' and 'British Oppression' to say the least. ;) She's learning the discipline needed to effectively use the weapon, too. :)

LiberalNation
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I like guns.

However my father was more traditional teaching my brother how to use them but not me. Ammo was considered to expensive to shoot at targets and I wouldn't shoot at animals.

Still want to get good with a pistol when I turn 21 and can legally buy one.

Noir
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
That would probably be because YOU never fired a gun before. I received my first 22 rifle when I was 10 or 11. Great little rifle I still have it today and it is in excellent shape. Just because YOU don't want one don't put your preconceived notions on others. There is NOTHING wrong with a younger person wanting a gun for their birthday. In fact I find it comforting that she will know how to use and how to respect a gun for its intended use.. What you should be worried about are those "repressed" children that NEVER get the opportunity to fire a real gun and when they find one are so enthralled they have NO sense on what to do with it and are dangerous with it.....

Do you also find it disturbing that EVERY male at age 18 is required to own a assault rifle in Finland????

I fear you failed at the first sentence, as my dad was in the army I have fired weapons on the range
So I'm not meant to put preconcived notions on others? Do you ever? I'm fucking human and so are you, politics is the compromise of oposing preconcived notions, amiright?

I'm just making a simple statement, I think it's odd that a 9 year old girl wants a gun, in the same way that I think it is odd that parents buy their 9 year olds mobile phones. I'm not doubting DMPs parenting, or anything like that.

As fir the Finland thing, is it a passive law? Cus I know that legaly I am meant to train with my long-bow every Sunday, as that is the law, but ofcourse it means nothing. However, if it is an active law then yes I do find it disturbing

crin63
02-09-2009, 06:01 PM

I don't find it disturbing at all. A girl wanting something for her birthday that she can do with her dad isn't at all surprising. I got a Ruger MKIII target .22 for my daughter a couple years ago. I think it helps to create a well rounded girl in addition to teaching her proper respect and handling of weapons.

Jeff
02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Y'all have some good looking girls.

I have 4 boy's, everyone of them started with a daisy bb gun around 4 or 5 yrs old ( of course under a watchful eye) my oldest is now 20 and hunting as much as he can , the second oldest is 14 and got his first 12 qauqe last year for X-mas , both of my older boys were shooting a 410 by the time they were 10, I have to younger boys ages 6 and 7 and they have graduated from there daisy's to air gun's and will each get a 410 as they show enough respect and maturity.

I think this is a wonderful way to teach kids responsibility and gun safety and also have fun doing something with them .

DannyR
02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Both of your daughters are knockouts for their ages. You should both be very proud.
Y'all have some good looking girls.I'd tap that. ;-)

Just kidding!

----

I didn't own a gun at that age, but I had certainly fired my dad's rifles numerous times growing up, from probably age 8 on up. We often went out to our country property and did target practice.

Never enjoyed shooting a revolver growing up, as the only one my family had was a 357 Magnum, and the noise and recoil was too much for me at that age.

darin
02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
I'd tap that. ;-)

Just kidding!

----

Even as a joke that's entirely inappropriate. Ya know? You're not a close friend of anyone here, afaik, but even among friends, saying something like that about another's minor-aged daughter?

C'mon man....

LiberalNation
02-09-2009, 06:47 PM
women of all ages are sexually objectified. Ya'll should think of your daughter when oogling women.

DannyR
02-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Even as a joke that's entirely inappropriate. Ya know?:eek: Seriously? Wow, super serious crowd around here. Well, apologies if someone was actually offended by that. Guess I hang with a cruder crowd.

Noir
02-09-2009, 07:05 PM
:eek: Seriously? Wow, super serious crowd around here. Well, apologies if someone was actually offended by that. Guess I hang with a cruder crowd.

Worry not, I've been neg reped a few times for tellin jokes that were deemed to crude, the lulz are lost on these folk, even when they are most obviosly just for the lulz.

darin
02-09-2009, 07:09 PM
women of all ages are sexually objectified. Ya'll should think of your daughter when oogling women.

Sure they are - by folks who need therapy and or death. (shrug). When my daughter is grown, I hope she's attractive enough to get oogled.

:eek: Seriously? Wow, super serious crowd around here. Well, apologies if someone was actually offended by that. Guess I hang with a cruder crowd.

That could be - do you have a daughter? Generally comments like that are in poor taste... that's all.

Worry not, I've been neg reped a few times for tellin jokes that were deemed to crude, the lulz are lost on these folk, even when they are most obviosly just for the lulz.

Getting a laugh is not the litmus test for appropriateness. ;)

jimnyc
02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I'd tap that. ;-)

Just kidding!

----

I didn't own a gun at that age, but I had certainly fired my dad's rifles numerous times growing up, from probably age 8 on up. We often went out to our country property and did target practice.

Never enjoyed shooting a revolver growing up, as the only one my family had was a 357 Magnum, and the noise and recoil was too much for me at that age.

Even as a joke that's entirely inappropriate. Ya know? You're not a close friend of anyone here, afaik, but even among friends, saying something like that about another's minor-aged daughter?

C'mon man....

I logged in via this vintage antiquated laptop so that I can throw my 2 cents in here. Let me tell you a little story I remember. Jackass, a member of this board, is a very good friend of mine. He brought his daughter to work with his wife one day. She was about 1-2 years old and adorable. I was kidding, and said something to the effect of "keep her away from me when she reaches 18". Chuck was not pleased, and I was embarrassed. I meant no harm, but some subjects are taboo, even in jest.

Yes, I made a comment to Darin about his wife, Mary, and wanting to see her in a bikini. #1 - both Darin and his wife are adults. Darin is my friend and I believe he knows I just mess with him. I think we are friends long enough to where he just knows when I'm kidding. But most of all, it's about adults, I would never even kid about his children.

We are far from prudes here, and anyone who knows me knows that to be a fact. I'm perhaps in the top ten list of perverts in the USA! I can get down and dirty - just not about certain content. No kids, no moms. One can kid and have fun without losing their class momentarily, as I did to one of my best friends without thinking before speaking.

crin63
02-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I'd tap that. ;-)

Just kidding!

I realize you were kidding and it was in bad taste, however if it had been said in my presence its one of those things I would be willing to spend the night in mens central jail over.

I think its been addressed sufficiently, lets move on.

DannyR
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
No kids, no moms. furiously erases the MILF jokes he was about to post... :poke:

Noir
02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
however if it had been said in my presence its one of those things I would be willing to spend the night in mens central jail over.

If I had more wit I would have left a post describing how danny would be willing to spend 10 years in jail, alas not, anyways, it's only words, ccchhhiiilll

Nukeman
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
If I had more wit I would have left a post describing how danny would be willing to spend 10 years in jail, alas not, anyways, it's only words, ccchhhiiilllI find it funny that you think it is disturbing for a girl to want a gun at age 9-10 yet you find humor in pedophilia!!! HMMMMM what is more disturbing here????????????

darin
02-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I find it funny that you think it is disturbing for a girl to want a gun at age 9-10 yet you find humor in pedophilia!!! HMMMMM what is more disturbing here????????????

Perfect. Excellent observation :)

actsnoblemartin
02-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Dont many women, of adult and teenage age dress sexually objectionable?

just a thought.

Sitarro
02-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Today my daughter accompanied me to the gun club. She borrowed a .22LR from a coworker I met who was shooting there.

She loved it. She probably shot 60-100 rounds out of the revolver. After we shot paper, I moved her to the steel targets in another lane. These were torso-sized, about 15 yard away.

She has been begging for a pistol when she turns 10 in june. After seeing her enjoyment today, I'm inclined to pick something up for her. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VsmsyTj4c

http://www.d-mphotos.com/images/misc/alaina_22_revolver.jpg

She also, after a little coaxing, got behind a 9mm Glock. She fired one round - the shell casing ejected into her forehead, and that was enough of that. No wounds - but it, coupled with the boom, caused her a bit of nervousness. We went back to the .22.

I'm proud she tried though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNXNMDzwtCI

I also squeezed off a few with my XD40 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gfv70l-r18

All-told I'm fantastically proud of my daughter - the entire time she was conscientious of what she was doing - where people were - the point of the barrel, and the general respect for what we were doing and the consequence of a 'mistake' - even an honest mistake.

Hey D, Where can I get a car like that one behind your daughter, that is a sweet ride!

Nukeman
02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey D, Where can I get a car like that one behind your daughter, that is a sweet ride!

Looks like a shitty Plymouth Horizon circa 1980-82. I know cause that was my first car!!!!:laugh2:

Noir
02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
I find it funny that you think it is disturbing for a girl to want a gun at age 9-10 yet you find humor in pedophilia!!! HMMMMM what is more disturbing here????????????

That's cus there is a difference between real life and a joke, that is why one is called real life and the other is called a joke.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Words can be so much more than "just words", which was suggested here.
As a woman and the mother of a daughter, I am grateful that there are still many men who believe there are boundaries that should never be crossed.

To LN's point: I agree with you in general about the objectifcation. I also think, though, that a good number of women act and dress in ways that encourage crude treatment. Not to mention what we see on TV.
That all tends to ruin it for the rest of us who would like our daughters and ourselves to be treated decently.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
D: Now we know why God (and Jim) created IC. :beer:

Mr. P
02-10-2009, 03:32 PM
That's cus there is a difference between real life and a joke, that is why one is called real life and the other is called a joke.

And why a joke is suppose to be funny.

There is nothing funny about sexually suggestive comments made to or toward minors by adults.

Noir
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
And why a joke is suppose to be funny.

There is nothing funny about sexually suggestive comments made to or toward minors by adults.

A also guess there is nothing funny about racist jokes made to or toward a race by another race...or noting funny about sexist jokes made to or toward a sex by the other sex and so on...

Nukeman
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Tell you what little boy..... Your analogy doesn't hold water at all. YOUR joke or I should say DannyR's joke that you condoned was directed toward TWO REAL PEOPLE. So the joke was at the expense of a real viable living breathing human being so it impacts "real life", or do you disagree? Chalk it up to your being wrong and be done with it. Keep arguing and prove who is really the disturbed one here......

DannyR
02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Nukeman, settle down a bit. The joke wasn't direct at the girls themselves and as far as I know this board isn't a family aimed site where minors should be hanging out. Rules specfically state: Debate Policy will remain an adult based forum.

Its certainly unacceptable to proposition or joke about sex it in front of actual minors. Just as its insensitive to tell black jokes in front of blacks, jewish jokes in front of jews, etc.

The one line comment was intended as an obvious outrage. Some people here feel it crossed a line, and I already apologized.

Different strokes for different folks. I've seen much worse comments made by comedians plenty of times. Just proves for any type of comment there is a specific place and locale. Implying anyone has low character or the like is uncalled for.

Noir
02-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Tell you what little boy..... Your analogy doesn't hold water at all. YOUR joke or I should say DannyR's joke that you condoned was directed toward TWO REAL PEOPLE. So the joke was at the expense of a real viable living breathing human being so it impacts "real life", or do you disagree? Chalk it up to your being wrong and be done with it. Keep arguing and prove who is really the disturbed one here......

Lulz @ the 'little boy' comment.

So there is a problem with a joke as it is aimed at real people, but not if it is aimed at hypothectical (sp?) people? That's an odd way to look at it, but whatever floats your boat. I happen to think that a joke is a joke, and that's that, now if of wasn't a joke then there would be an issue, but it clearly was.

And don't stick a wee childish remark on the end about 'stop talkin and just say you are wrong' remember I am the little boy here, not you

Mr. P
02-10-2009, 04:22 PM
A also guess there is nothing funny about racist jokes made to or toward a race by another race...or noting funny about sexist jokes made to or toward a sex by the other sex and so on...

Ethnic, racial and sexual jokes between adults can all be funny in the right situation or not funny in the wrong situation. A sexual "joke" directed toward a minor between adults is inappropriate and not funny, unless I guess, those involved are sick f'ks. See the difference?

DannyR
02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
A sexual "joke" directed toward a minor between adults is inappropriate and not funny, unless I guess, those involved are sick f'ks. See the difference?

Do you classify anybody who enjoyed "American Pie" as sick f'ks? Part of the plot of that involves the comedy of a teenage boy doing Stifler's mom.

Part of the comedy of the movie "My Father the Hero", staring Gerard Depardieu and Katherine Heigl involves a misunderstanding about the relationship between the two.

I could go on and name other films that poke fun...

If you don't like such comedy, thats your choice. To classify everyone who might enjoy a tasteless joke as a sick f'k is silly.

Noir
02-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Ethnic, racial and sexual jokes between adults can all be funny in the right situation or not funny in the wrong situation. A sexual "joke" directed toward a minor between adults is inappropriate and not funny, unless I guess, those involved are sick f'ks. See the difference?

Indeed, and some would say that all jokes about race are only funny between racist f'ks ect and so on.

I.

Mr. P
02-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Indeed, and some would say that all jokes about race are only funny between racist f'ks ect and so on.

I.

You haven't been around much have ya?

Noir
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
You haven't been around much have ya?

Nope, I'm only a little boy ya know, what have I missed?

Mr. P
02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Nope, I'm only a little boy ya know, what have I missed?

Commons sense, maturity, experience and judgment to start.

With time you'll be ok. Maybe.

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 06:00 PM

I.

I don't like racist jokes, pedophile jokes, age jokes, most ethnic jokes-unless they're aimed at Irish and well intentioned. ;)

Noir
02-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Commons sense, maturity, experience and judgment to start.

With time you'll be ok. Maybe.

Well let's just hope that as I age I will not become as patronizing as you.

jimnyc
02-10-2009, 06:18 PM
furiously erases the MILF jokes he was about to post... :poke:

MILF jokes and pictures of them are cool in my book, at least on occasion. So long as they aren't members of this board anyway, and without their permission. You'll often see pictures of women being posted and the guys drooling. I just think speaking of a members family, or their child, is a bit inappropriate. I know that you meant it as a joke though, and you apologized, so I have no issue. But don't think we're prudes here, just wait till you see some of the vulgarity that pops up when someone is angry (and it'll probably be from me!)

On my old board, there was a girl from Canada that liked to rip me apart, and we went back and forth about one another, then she threw in my son, name and all, and stated some things I didn't like. Even though I didn't know her, and she didn't know me or my son, it bothered me that she said it.

darin
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Right now Noir is the only person here who is being a dolt. Danny understands why folk might not laugh at his 'humor'.

Frankly, I wasn't offended. My words for Danny were to be a 'teaching point' to somebody who may not understand the full spectrum of perspectives he's facing here. From a Father's perspective - and from that of what I consider to be a decent man - little sophomoric jokes along the lines of "I'd have sex with your pre-teen, or teen daughter - JUST kiDdInG!, y0!" are a sure sign of somebody with limited intelligence or grasp on the meaning of words and how they might be construed.

Yet Noir keeps trying to prove his 'enlightened state of humor' or grasp of same - and it's like reading about at train wreck. His position is indefensible, yet he thunders on like the rapport of muskets in Yorktown.

Noir
02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Right now Noir is the only person here who is being a dolt. Danny understands why folk might not laugh at his 'humor'.

Frankly, I wasn't offended. My words for Danny were to be a 'teaching point' to somebody who may not understand the full spectrum of perspectives he's facing here. From a Father's perspective - and from that of what I consider to be a decent man - little sophomoric jokes along the lines of "I'd have sex with your pre-teen, or teen daughter - JUST kiDdInG!, y0!" are a sure sign of somebody with limited intelligence or grasp on the meaning of words and how they might be construed.

Yet Noir keeps trying to prove his 'enlightened state of humor' or grasp of same - and it's like reading about at train wreck. His position is indefensible, yet he thunders on like the rapport of muskets in Yorktown.

I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm not stupid enough to think I can can change anyones mind, but it makes good debate no? I think if there were a few more folks of my generation on the site you would find the debate much more lively. Alas not, and so I look like the on hair in the soup.

I'm also not saying everyone should find it funny, but I have been called a sick fuck, not very nice =/ everyone just needs to chill and enjoy the lulz

Mr. P
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Well let's just hope that as I age I will not become as patronizing as you.

Patronizing? Son, I'm guessing I'm older than yer Daddy..If I were yer Daddy I'd stomp yer lil pee-pee in the dirt to get yer damn attention long enough to show you how much of a buffoon yer being.

Noir
02-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Patronizing? Son, I'm guessing I'm older than yer Daddy..If I were yer Daddy I'd stomp yer lil pee-pee in the dirt to get yer damn attention long enough to show you how much of a buffoon yer being.

Buuuuuut, you're not my daddy so my, erm, 'pee-pee' (?) is safe.

Mr. P
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Buuuuuut, you're not my daddy so my, erm, 'pee-pee' (?) is safe.

Yep..yer a lucky kid.