PDA

View Full Version : Notice to Flamers

Kathianne
02-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I grew used to the lulls. I'm not going to bother separating wheat and chafe. When threads go crap, they're being moved to cage.

None are interesting enough for the time expended.

hjmick
02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Kathianne hates flamers.

"Flamer" is a term used to describe an extremely flamboyant homosexual.

Kathianne thinks you guys are gay.

Kathianne
02-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Kathianne hates flamers.

"Flamer" is a term used to describe an extremely flamboyant homosexual.

Kathianne thinks you guys are gay.

Damn. Let me make myself clear. If it's obvious a derailment of a thread/topic, I'll move it.

I'm now to busy/bored to split the number of threads some which to create to derail.

hjmick
02-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Damn. Let me make myself clear. If it's obvious a derailment of a thread/topic, I'll move it.

I'm now to busy/bored to split the number of threads some which to create to derail.

LOL...

Sorry Kath, just having fun. :D

Yurt
02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
the cage will probably be full soon

Mr. P
02-08-2009, 08:38 PM

Well, tis good you aren't the ONLY staff member..or..are you the ONLY one working? :bow2:

Kathianne
02-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Well, tis good you aren't the ONLY staff member..or..are you the ONLY one working? :bow2:

hey if others come on, you know I wouldn't disagree with them, never have. I just am too busy to go through all the threads and split them, there are too many.

jimnyc
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I agree with Kathianne's sentiments. All of staff regularly discuss negative events taking place on the board. Sometimes we are hesitant to move threads as we don't want to tick people off. Sometimes we hope it will get back on track. Sometimes we feel others may see it as infringing on one's right to "free speech" in a proper forum. Sometimes it just gets so out of hand that we have no alternative but to move threads.

With a diverse community, and not just within political affiliations, you'll never please everyone and you'll always have those that disagree. Rather than have a blanket policy about moving derailed threads and having a cage that is 60 pages long, we try and look at each instance separately and decide from there.

I applaud Kathianne's desire to set a tone though and won't limit her actions. I would love to see more and more adult debates, and members that want to fight to open threads in the cage instead of doing so in the midst of debates.

This thread was started in "current events", and I'm going to leave it here for maximum exposure, as I know some who enjoy politics never read the chat section. I would like feedback from everyone about how they think we should handle derailed threads, abusive members, and anything else you can think of. As usual, no namecalling and accusations please, lets just stick to adding opinions to what we think will make this a better place for all.

Mr. P
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I agree with Kathianne's sentiments. All of staff regularly discuss negative events taking place on the board. Sometimes we are hesitant to move threads as we don't want to tick people off. Sometimes we hope it will get back on track. Sometimes we feel others may see it as infringing on one's right to "free speech" in a proper forum. Sometimes it just gets so out of hand that we have no alternative but to move threads.

With a diverse community, and not just within political affiliations, you'll never please everyone and you'll always have those that disagree. Rather than have a blanket policy about moving derailed threads and having a cage that is 60 pages long, we try and look at each instance separately and decide from there.

I applaud Kathianne's desire to set a tone though and won't limit her actions. I would love to see more and more adult debates, and members that want to fight to open threads in the cage instead of doing so in the midst of debates.

This thread was started in "current events", and I'm going to leave it here for maximum exposure, as I know some who enjoy politics never read the chat section. I would like feedback from everyone about how they think we should handle derailed threads, abusive members, and anything else you can think of. As usual, no namecalling and accusations please, lets just stick to adding opinions to what we think will make this a better place for all.

How about a standard for what a "derail" really is first. Then ban the offender as an INTENTION derail deserves nothing else..goes for the abusive issue also..

Set some standards...and give K a break she does all or most of the mod stuff..how many are there? 4?

Kathianne
02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
How about a standard for what a "derail" really is first. Then ban the offender as an INTENTION derail deserves nothing else..goes for the abusive issue also..

Set some standards...and give K a break she does all or most of the mod stuff..how many are there? 4?

I'll bite. Seems to me that when someone posts a new thread on a topic, whatever it may be, the next post should be a reaction to the topic of that thread. It may be disagreement, agreement or something inbetween. It shouldn't be, imo, "all liberals or conservatives feel ...."

On the other side, second post should not be 'you are a liar/psychotic..'

Tell us your real take, not what 'others' think.

I hope I'm being clear?

Yurt
02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
if the thread is long and the flaming short, what about banning the offender(s) from the thread and thus leaving the thread open up top?

it just seems to me that many threads are going to moved to the cages, especially if one mod just feels like it, whereas a ban allows the thread to go on and the banned can then privately seek redress

Little-Acorn
02-08-2009, 11:31 PM
if the thread is long and the flaming short, what about banning the offender(s) from the thread and thus leaving the thread open up top?

it just seems to me that many threads are going to moved to the cages, especially if one mod just feels like it, whereas a ban allows the thread to go on and the banned can then privately seek redress

I agree with this, having had many threads derailed.

Some sort of ban is pretty much necessary, not just a move to the cage. Otherwise, the usual suspects will simply pick a thread they don't like, and start flaming, diverting, etc., to get the thread cast into the nether regions. With nothing the people can do who were trying to keep it on topic.

Kathianne
02-09-2009, 05:51 AM
I agree with this, having had many threads derailed.

Some sort of ban is pretty much necessary, not just a move to the cage. Otherwise, the usual suspects will simply pick a thread they don't like, and start flaming, diverting, etc., to get the thread cast into the nether regions. With nothing the people can do who were trying to keep it on topic.

The above seem reasonable. Problem comes in when it goes on in minutes for a page or two? "You're an idiot!" "Remember why...." "You're a XXX gay, XXX idiot...." What was the topic? Thread banning does not do the trick in these cases, sometimes it happens within 3-5 minutes, especially if 3 or 4 people are involved. I feel worse when someone tries to bring the subject up and it gets lost in the middle of these rants at one another.

Yurt
02-09-2009, 09:57 AM
The above seem reasonable. Problem comes in when it goes on in minutes for a page or two? "You're an idiot!" "Remember why...." "You're a XXX gay, XXX idiot...." What was the topic? Thread banning does not do the trick in these cases, sometimes it happens within 3-5 minutes, especially if 3 or 4 people are involved. I feel worse when someone tries to bring the subject up and it gets lost in the middle of these rants at one another.

i've seen numerous threads saved by a simple warning that the next flame gets the person banned from thread. also, a banning of the person allows the banned poster to talk privately with mods or admin to resolve any dispute about so-called flaming as flaming to one mod may not be flaming or there are other circumstances in mitigation. when a thread is moved to the cage it always stays there.

sometimes things get heated in an exchange and i would hate to see a whole thread moved to the cage (when the flaming is a small part of the thread, if the thread is pretty much all flaming, well...) when the thread could get back on track.

Psychoblues
02-09-2009, 10:26 AM
How many times have I and others tried to get the threads back on track despite the intrusions by you and your butt buddie, yuk?!?!???!?!?!??!?!

i've seen numerous threads saved by a simple warning that the next flame gets the person banned from thread. also, a banning of the person allows the banned poster to talk privately with mods or admin to resolve any dispute about so-called flaming as flaming to one mod may not be flaming or there are other circumstances in mitigation. when a thread is moved to the cage it always stays there.

sometimes things get heated in an exchange and i would hate to see a whole thread moved to the cage (when the flaming is a small part of the thread, if the thread is pretty much all flaming, well...) when the thread could get back on track.

You ain't fooling me for an instant, cowgirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My apologies to Kat, straight up and completely forthcoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have it correct, Kat. It's your thing, do what you want to do

How about a cup o' Joe?!?!?!??!???!?!?!?!?!?!?

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Yurt
02-09-2009, 10:32 AM
How many times have I and others tried to get the threads back on track despite the intrusions by you and your butt buddie, yuk?!?!???!?!?!??!?!

You ain't fooling me for an instant, cowgirl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My apologies to Kat, straight up and completely forthcoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have it correct, Kat. It's your thing, do what you want to do

How about a cup o' Joe?!?!?!??!???!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

good lord, do you have to flame in a thread that speaks against flaming :poke:

Psychoblues
02-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Good Lord, yuk, no flame intended. I speak the truth on this subject and I ain't alone in the observation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good lord, do you have to flame in a thread that speaks against flaming :poke:

Would you like some cheese with that whine?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

Kathianne
02-09-2009, 11:22 AM

I definitely agree, which is why I spent so much time splitting threads. However, it was happening too often and is now coming on again. As long as a mod is on and happens to notice, you're right, a word will usually do it. As I tried to explain above, sometimes it goes on for a page or more in minutes. No one other than those involved wants to read that stuff.

Psychoblues
02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
You could be just a bit less obvious, Kat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definitely agree, which is why I spent so much time splitting threads. However, it was happening too often and is now coming on again. As long as a mod is on and happens to notice, you're right, a word will usually do it. As I tried to explain above, sometimes it goes on for a page or more in minutes. No one other than those involved wants to read that stuff.

How's that Java holding up?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues