PDA

View Full Version : Judges: Calif must release tens fo thousands of prisoners due to overcrowding

Little-Acorn
02-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Most interesting part of this, um, "ruling", is the statement that releasing these prisoners will "not adversely affect public safety, and might well have a positive effect".

Would the judge(s) who made that statement, like to stand by his claim? And, if a prisoner he orders released commits another crime, will he serve the resulting sentence with him? Or maybe in his place, seeing as how prisons are so overcrowded?

Or better yet, will that judge agree to take the effects of the crime on himself, since he guaranteed us it wouldn't happen? If some released inmate assaults and robs someone, will the judge agree to get pistol-whipped and slammed against a wall, and have the contents of his wallet removed? If the inmate rapes someone, will the judge agree to... well, you know. And if the inmate murders someone.....

It's nice to know the judge(s) think that releasing a huge mass of prisoners won't adversely affect public safety. That's what they said about the parole system, wasn't it?

I would like to have a talk with these "judges" about this "ruling". Yes, I'd like that very much.

--------------------------------------

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/09/ca-california-prisons-020909/?zIndex=50492

Judges tentatively order Calif. inmate release

By DON THOMPSON, The Associated Press
4:09 p.m. February 9, 2009

SACRAMENTO — A special panel of federal judges tentatively ruled Monday that California will have to release tens of thousands of inmates to relieve overcrowding over the next several years.

The judges said no other solution will improve conditions so poor that inmates die regularly of suicides or lack of proper care.

The state can cut the population of its 33 adult prisons through changes in parole and other policies without endangering the public, the judges said.

Reducing the prison population "could be achieved through reform measures that would not adversely affect public safety, and might well have a positive effect. This is particularly true considering that California's overcrowded prison system is itself, as the Governor as well as experts who have testified before the Court have recognized, a public safety hazard," the San Francisco-based panel said in a 10-page order.

The three judges did not set a final population figure, saying that will come later. They said they may hold more hearings before making the decision final.

In Monday's tentative ruling, the panel said they want the state to present a plan to trim the population of the nation's largest state prison system in two to three years.

"There are simply too many prisoners for the existing capacity," they wrote. "Evidence offered at trial was overwhelmingly to the effect that overcrowding is the primary cause of the unconstitutional conditions that have been found to exist in the California prisons."

The order came less than a week after the judges finished hearing two days of closing arguments. They said then that they wanted to quickly issue a tentative ruling in hopes of forcing the state to take steps on its own or reach a settlement with attorneys representing inmates.

In Monday's order, they offered the services of a court-appointed referee who could help with settlement talks. Previous negotiations failed, forcing the trial that took place over 14 days in November and December.

DannyR
02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
I don't live in California, but it seems to me this is a natural result of enacting numerous mandatory prison sentences across the board, including 3 strike laws, without spending the money to build more prisons. You can't be "tough on crime" and ignore the costs of housing prisoners too.

Since based on previous laws of 20 years ago many of these prisoners wouldn't be in prison, it is probably safe to say some could probably be released.

Of course you always have a problem that many sent to prison become much harder criminals as a result. Prison isn't rehabilitation, and in today's economy I don't see someone with a felony on their record being able to find a job.

hjmick
02-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I can't wait to get out of this state...

02-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Im curious how releasing that many prisoners wouldnt negatively effect public safety.

johnney
02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
they need to expand the death penalty to include lessor offenses. and with out the 15 years waiting at the tax payers expense. found guilty? take them out back and put 2 in the back of the head

Psychoblues
02-12-2009, 07:46 AM
None of you have ever been falsely picked out of a lineup, have you?!?!?!?!?!???!?? It really can happen to ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

johnney
02-12-2009, 07:51 AM
and it happens so often its an epedemic? make examples of them

02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
None of you have ever been falsely picked out of a lineup, have you?!?!?!?!?!???!?? It really can happen to ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

So what youre trying to claim is the convicted criminals are really innocent and thats why they should be released? That doesnt seem very probable.

Psychoblues
02-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Yes

and it happens so often its an epedemic? make examples of them

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
02-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Seeming probable is the problem, a'21.

So what youre trying to claim is the convicted criminals are really innocent and thats why they should be released? That doesnt seem very probable.

I repeat, you have never been falsely picked out of a lineup, have you?!??!??!

Psychoblues

02-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Seeming probable is the problem, a'21.

I repeat, you have never been falsely picked out of a lineup, have you?!??!??!

Psychoblues

I dont see how all the criminals mention could have been railroaded. One or two maybe. But all of them doesnt seem likely.

My guess is most of the inmates they have in the system were never even in a line up.

Psychoblues
02-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Nobody has mentioned all of the prisoners in California, a'21.

I dont see how all the criminals mention could have been railroaded. One or two maybe. But all of them doesnt seem likely.

My guess is most of the inmates they have in the system were never even in a line up.

Why are you throwing shit to prove a ridiculous point?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

johnney
02-12-2009, 08:11 AM
whats ridiculous is letting those assholes go. there are other states they can be shipped to

Hobbit
02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
whats ridiculous is letting those assholes go. there are other states they can be shipped to

That's illegal. They broke California state law, so unless there are outstanding warrants in other states as well, California is responsible for those prisoners. Of course, since California is irresponsible, they'll just let them go.

crin63
02-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Its just another Democratic voting block. Acorn gone judicial.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Let's trade them to Mexico for all the Mexican illegals already here. I figure we have about 12 million trades available. That should cover a lot of released CA prisoners.

manu1959
02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Let's trade them to Mexico for all the Mexican illegals already here. I figure we have about 12 million trades available. That should cover a lot of released CA prisoners.

i would bet a good percentage are mexican citizens anyway....

Abbey Marie
02-12-2009, 03:21 PM
i would bet a good percentage are mexican citizens anyway....

Two-fers. They don't count towards the trade, and go back anyway.

Yurt
02-12-2009, 04:49 PM
That's illegal. They broke California state law, so unless there are outstanding warrants in other states as well, California is responsible for those prisoners. Of course, since California is irresponsible, they'll just let them go.

actually it is legal to ship prisoners to other states, california shipped thousands of them last year and the year before.

johnney
02-12-2009, 07:26 PM

hell california cant even look after california right now!