PDA

View Full Version : Sh&%, Damn, F*@^ - bear with me

jimnyc
02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I was in the midst of burning a movie earlier and playing a game at the same time when my computer just died. I tried to resuscitate him but to no avail. I had en extra power supply and that didn't help him either. I sat troubleshooting the issue and found a short in my motherboard. Gonna have to get a new motherboard before my friend returns to me once again. This leaves me with limited connectivity as all I have is a laptop that my wife brings with her to work and then I can pop on in the evening. Please excuse any delayed responses, especially to anyone sending me PM's. I WILL get back to everyone as soon as I have full connectivity. It took me 6 hours to write this post as my fingers can't adjust to these little fucking keys. I very well may smash this laptop when my computer is back in business.

Abbey Marie
02-10-2009, 12:15 AM
How frustrating!

jimnyc
02-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Back with my long lost friend, after not so long. I'm sure nobody gives a rat's ass about the technical aspects, but since I went through the frustration, I must at least make someone hear my story.

I was up till about 2am working on it last night, trying to get it to go without swapping anything. I was back up at 6 and worked on it, on and off, till about 1:30. From then till about 5:30 I fussed with the new motherboard, as follows.

On the newer ATX model motherboards there are 2 power sources you plugin into the motherboard directly from the power source. One is a large 24 pin connector and the secondary is a 6 pin connector. When my machine died yesterday, it wouldn't draw power anymore unless I UNplugged the 6 pin connector, but wouldn't power on if that plug was in. That plug is the main power source for the CPU. I started out the cheapest way and we got a replacement MB, identical, and for a decent price. Upon installing it and reconnecting all the plugs and cables, I now had full power, but no video! Of course I fiddled with every connection and the monitor itself. I tried 2 spare video cards that I had to see if the new board came with a DOA video card (built-in). No matter what I did I couldn't get video. I must have yanked out the power supply, motherboard, memory and all the other peripherals about 200x. Since I found the issue starting from the power plug which powers the CPU, my next thought was that I had to replace that. Make a long story short, after quite a few hours with the new board I decided "what the hell" and I switched jumpers to clear the CMOS, and sure enough my video came back. Don't ask me why a brand new board would need the CMOS reset, but I'm glad I tried it before looking for a new CPU!

After all of my fears yesterday and today, I am in the midst of backing up my important info and data to my second and 3rd hard drives, as well as to DVD for my safe.

I hate computer and I hated working on them for so many years. I have an obsession and can't walk away when there's an issue. I take it personally and lose sleep over it, and get a bit of anxiety until I figure out the issue. And it's not just cause I'm an internet junkie and needed my fix, I do the same thing if working on a friends computer. I'd like to choke the fucker that invented computers. Was that Al Gore too, or did he just bring us the internet?

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Back with my long lost friend, after not so long. I'm sure nobody gives a rat's ass about the technical aspects, but since I went through the frustration, I must at least make someone hear my story.

I was up till about 2am working on it last night, trying to get it to go without swapping anything. I was back up at 6 and worked on it, on and off, till about 1:30. From then till about 5:30 I fussed with the new motherboard, as follows.

On the newer ATX model motherboards there are 2 power sources you plugin into the motherboard directly from the power source. One is a large 24 pin connector and the secondary is a 6 pin connector. When my machine died yesterday, it wouldn't draw power anymore unless I UNplugged the 6 pin connector, but wouldn't power on if that plug was in. That plug is the main power source for the CPU. I started out the cheapest way and we got a replacement MB, identical, and for a decent price. Upon installing it and reconnecting all the plugs and cables, I now had full power, but no video! Of course I fiddled with every connection and the monitor itself. I tried 2 spare video cards that I had to see if the new board came with a DOA video card (built-in). No matter what I did I couldn't get video. I must have yanked out the power supply, motherboard, memory and all the other peripherals about 200x. Since I found the issue starting from the power plug which powers the CPU, my next thought was that I had to replace that. Make a long story short, after quite a few hours with the new board I decided "what the hell" and I switched jumpers to clear the CMOS, and sure enough my video came back. Don't ask me why a brand new board would need the CMOS reset, but I'm glad I tried it before looking for a new CPU!

After all of my fears yesterday and today, I am in the midst of backing up my important info and data to my second and 3rd hard drives, as well as to DVD for my safe.

I hate computer and I hated working on them for so many years. I have an obsession and can't walk away when there's an issue. I take it personally and lose sleep over it, and get a bit of anxiety until I figure out the issue. And it's not just cause I'm an internet junkie and needed my fix, I do the same thing if working on a friends computer. I'd like to choke the fucker that invented computers. Was that Al Gore too, or did he just bring us the internet?
You made me listen! :laugh2: I didn't understand a word of it, but am glad you're back! :thumb:

jimnyc
02-10-2009, 06:11 PM
You made me listen! :laugh2: I didn't understand a word of it, but am glad you're back! :thumb:

Your frustration of not understanding the technical aspects is 1/10th of what I went through. It's not a physically demanding job to replace stuff in a computer, but the technical aspect and thinking drains you, then constantly removing and reinstalling things actually makes you work out. First thing I did after getting my backups started was pop a xanax and take a hot shower!

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Your frustration of not understanding the technical aspects is 1/10th of what I went through. It's not a physically demanding job to replace stuff in a computer, but the technical aspect and thinking drains you, then constantly removing and reinstalling things actually makes you work out. First thing I did after getting my backups started was pop a xanax and take a hot shower!

:laugh2: Was it better than a workout at the gym?

jimnyc
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
:laugh2: Was it better than a workout at the gym?

Couldn't tell you as I forgot what that feels like. I only walk by the gym now to stare at the hotties doing yoga. :coffee:

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Couldn't tell you as I forgot what that feels like. I only walk by the gym now to stare at the hotties doing yoga. :coffee:

Hey, it's a life. ;) May I ask, how is your mom doing? I've been praying for her for months. I know others must be wondering too? All of us love Joan!

Trinity
02-11-2009, 07:01 AM

I understand and can completely relate...remember the issues I just had with dad's computer. I worked on that damn thing off and on for about a week, in between work and kids. I finally after trying everything under the sun including purchasing a new hard drive, I determined it had to be the motherboard. Dad on the other hand didn't think so. So he took it to a computer shop in town and 48 hours later lo and behold the mother board was in fact the problem. Instead of replacing the motherboard he sold the computer to the computer store and purchased an IBM through craigslist he actullay got a really good deal though, so I can't blame him there.

For someone who has had no formal computer training and everything I know about computers is self taught. I love it when I'm right! :clap:

Trinity
02-11-2009, 07:02 AM

:laugh2: I can relate