PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Watch The Press Conference?

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 06:34 AM
First off I wish to say it was nice that he ended it in time to catch "24." Thank you for that Mr. President.

Well it was billed and still headlined as an "Economic Address". From what I could tell, it was using Elkhart, IN, to provide anecdotal reasons for fear mongering in the introduction, to sway people away from their growing reasoning of spending over a trillion dollars for some temporary jobs, some tax relief, and a whole bunch of pork.

He made a brilliant political move of saying his goal was minimally to create OR save 4 million jobs. If we lose another XX million jobs, he can always claim that it was 4 million less than it would have been...

Once it came to the Q & A's it became the usual opportunities to lay blame elsewhere and go off topic-from A-Rod to poking fun at Biden.

He can deliver lines, no doubt about that, but he's not saying much. Trying for a balm for the growing criticism and concern about the 'team,' but little substance.

red states rule
02-10-2009, 07:02 AM
HIs opening speech was OK, but the pre-recorded reponses to the questions was painful to listen to.

I was very happy the coverage ended in time to watch "24" at its regular time

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Headline on Yahoo News linking to speech highlight :rolleyes: :

• Obama reviewing ban on photos of soldiers' flag-draped coffins (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090210/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_coffins)

red states rule
02-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Kat, I have never seen a Presidential PC where the reporters sat so politely, with their hands folded in their laps, and waited for the President to call upon a list of pre-selected reporters.

Just how long will the press act this whimpy?

They were like vultures with Pres Bush

bullypulpit
02-10-2009, 07:24 AM
First off I wish to say it was nice that he ended it in time to catch "24." Thank you for that Mr. President.

Well it was billed and still headlined as an "Economic Address". From what I could tell, it was using Elkhart, IN, to provide anecdotal reasons for fear mongering in the introduction, to sway people away from their growing reasoning of spending over a trillion dollars for some temporary jobs, some tax relief, and a whole bunch of pork.

He made a brilliant political move of saying his goal was minimally to create OR save 4 million jobs. If we lose another XX million jobs, he can always claim that it was 4 million less than it would have been...

Once it came to the Q & A's it became the usual opportunities to lay blame elsewhere and go off topic-from A-Rod to poking fun at Biden.

He can deliver lines, no doubt about that, but he's not saying much. Trying for a balm for the growing criticism and concern about the 'team,' but little substance.

"Fear mongering"...Didn't hear much from the right when it was Bush doing the fear mongering, and Obama has a much greater weight of evidence on his side than Bush ever did.

red states rule
02-10-2009, 07:26 AM
"Fear mongering"...Didn't hear much from the right when it was Bush doing the fear mongering, and Obama has a much greater weight of evidence on his side than Bush ever did.

What evidence BP? We were told Tarp 1 would fix everyhting - now Dems will ask for ANOTHER $1 trillion for the banks

So Dems will be close to DOUBLING THE NATIONAL DEBT IN LESS THEN 2 months

PostmodernProphet
02-10-2009, 07:45 AM
..Didn't hear much from the right when it was Bush doing the fear mongering

well, we sure heard from you, as I recall......

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 07:58 AM

You certainly wrote many times that any hint that there were 'forces' out to get us was fear mongering. Rushing through a pork filled bill, that will not be paid off even by our great grandchildren is not a crisis, nor would it prevent one. A few days of letting the people look at this cure all would be a good start.

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Wow AP actually does fact check the speech:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090210/ap_on_go_pr_wh/fact_check_obama

FACT CHECK: Examining Obama's job, pork claims

By CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press Writer
Tue Feb 10, 4:05 am ET
WASHINGTON – At least Route 31 is a road to somewhere. President Barack Obama had it both ways when he promoted his stimulus plan in Indiana and later at a prime-time news conference. He bragged in Indiana about getting Congress to produce a package with no pork, yet boasted it will do good things for a Hoosier highway and a downtown overpass, just the kind of local projects lawmakers lard into big spending bills...

THE FACTS: There are no "earmarks," as they are usually defined, inserted by lawmakers in the bill. Still, some of the projects bear the prime characteristics of pork — tailored to benefit specific interests or to have thinly disguised links to local projects...

THE FACTS: Job creation projections are uncertain even in stable times, and some of the economists relied on by Obama in making his forecast acknowledge a great deal of uncertainty in their numbers...

THE FACTS: The economic stimulus bill would allocate about $20 billion to help hospitals and doctors transition from paper charts to electronic health records for their patients. Research has shown that in some instances, electronic record keeping can eliminate inappropriate services and improve care, but it's not a sure thing by any means. "By itself, the adoption of more health IT is generally not sufficient to produce significant cost savings," the Congressional Budget Office reported last year...

THE FACTS: Two of his appointees, former Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle for health and human services secretary and Nancy Killefer as Obama's chief compliance officer, dropped out after reports they had not paid a portion of their taxes.

Obama previously acknowledged he "screwed up" in making it seem to Americans that there is one set of tax compliance rules for VIPs and another set for everyone else. Yet his choice for treasury secretary, Timothy Geithner, achieved the post despite having belatedly paid $34,000 to the IRS, an agency Geithner now oversees.

That could leave the perception that there is one set of rules for Geithner and another set for everyone else....

OBAMA: "We also inherited the most profound economic emergency since the Great Depression."

THE FACTS: This could turn out to be the case. But as bad as the economic numbers are, the unemployment figures have not reached the levels of the early 1980s, let alone the 1930s — yet. A total of 598,000 payroll jobs vanished in January — the most in nearly 35 years — and the unemployment rate jumped to 7.6 from 7.2 percent the month before. The most recent high was 7.8 percent in June 1992.

And the jobless rate was 10.8 percent in November and December 1982. Unemployment in the Great Depression ranged for several years from 25 percent to close to 30 percent.

red states rule
02-10-2009, 08:30 AM
So is bipartisanship to Pres Obama is doing things his way? He says the free spending days are over yet he wants this $1 trillion mega pork bill passed, and today his Treasury Sec will ask for another $1 trillion for the banks

He is telling us things are so bad, I expect him to be walking up and down the streets of DC hlding a sign with a date the world will end

From the Washington Times

A somber President Obama used his first prime-time press conference to pressure Congress Monday night to pass his massive economic stimulus spending bill, acknowledging it is imperfect but declaring he won't negotiate with Republicans who think government should not intervene substantially in the economy.

"The federal government is the only entity left with the resources to jolt our economy back to life," the new president said.

Mr. Obama pronounced "in fact, the party now is over" for free-spending Americans, defended his cataclysmic language on the health of the economy and said bipartisanship will have to take a back seat to getting an economic recovery spending bill completed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/10/obama-wants-congress-pass-stimulus-plan/

fj1200
02-10-2009, 10:55 PM
... but little substance.

Funny you should ask, my post from another forum:

I was watching the Wizard of Wor... err BO's campaign spe... err first news conference and he was answering a question re: Iran and meeting with them; was it just me or did he completely stammer through his answer? I couldn't stand all the umms and uhhs and flipped over to a PBS program about the Freedom Ride in the 60's at about the time they were showing a clip of MLK Jr. talking in a church in Montgomery while the AL guard was trying to control the mob outside... BO is not in the same class.

Kathianne
02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Funny you should ask, my post from another forum:

I was watching the Wizard of Wor... err BO's campaign spe... err first news conference and he was answering a question re: Iran and meeting with them; was it just me or did he completely stammer through his answer? I couldn't stand all the umms and uhhs and flipped over to a PBS program about the Freedom Ride in the 60's at about the time they were showing a clip of MLK Jr. talking in a church in Montgomery while the AL guard was trying to control the mob outside... BO is not in the same class.

Okay, wish to translate to English? I wouldn't want to misinterpret.

Mr. P
02-10-2009, 11:32 PM
So is bipartisanship to Pres Obama is doing things his way? ....

That's been my impression since maybe day two after inauguration.

Came in like a young pup to play with the big dawgs and got his ass bit. Now he's whining, in public non less.

Seems to be acting more like a dick-tater than a leader..IMO

Yurt
02-11-2009, 12:16 AM
So is bipartisanship to Pres Obama is doing things his way? He says the free spending days are over yet he wants this $1 trillion mega pork bill passed, and today his Treasury Sec will ask for another $1 trillion for the banks

He is telling us things are so bad, I expect him to be walking up and down the streets of DC hlding a sign with a date the world will end

From the Washington Times

A somber President Obama used his first prime-time press conference to pressure Congress Monday night to pass his massive economic stimulus spending bill, acknowledging it is imperfect but declaring he won't negotiate with Republicans who think government should not intervene substantially in the economy.

"The federal government is the only entity left with the resources to jolt our economy back to life," the new president said.

Mr. Obama pronounced "in fact, the party now is over" for free-spending Americans, defended his cataclysmic language on the health of the economy and said bipartisanship will have to take a back seat to getting an economic recovery spending bill completed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/10/obama-wants-congress-pass-stimulus-plan/

what a moron

hey obama....where does the government's money COME FROM?

red states rule
02-11-2009, 01:00 AM
It seems like Obama hasn't shifted out of campaign mode yet. He still uses inflammatory rhetoric to make a point.

When he made a point about education spending, he said something about Democrats wanting to throw money at it and Conservatives wanted to stop wasting money on education and blow up the public schools.

He is like a third string QB begging for a chance to play

bullypulpit
02-11-2009, 06:56 AM
You certainly wrote many times that any hint that there were 'forces' out to get us was fear mongering. Rushing through a pork filled bill, that will not be paid off even by our great grandchildren is not a crisis, nor would it prevent one. A few days of letting the people look at this cure all would be a good start.

So, why weren't you complaining when the Bush administration was running up deficits "...that will not be paid off even by our great grandchildren..."?

If laying out the facts is fear mongering , so be it. When the Bush administration used the tactic, their grasp of the facts was tenuous, at best.

red states rule
02-11-2009, 07:07 AM
So, why weren't you complaining when the Bush administration was running up deficits "...that will not be paid off even by our great grandchildren..."?

If laying out the facts is fear mongering , so be it. When the Bush administration used the tactic, their grasp of the facts was tenuous, at best.

Many of us did BP - myself included

Now, the very things you liberals screamed about - deficit spending, increasing the national debt, wasteful spending, and scare tactics - are being used by Obama, Reid, and Pelosi

Yet while you screamed at the heavens when Pres bush did it - you give us a loud yawn when Obama and your Dems do them

Kathianne
02-11-2009, 07:14 AM

I was and you know it. It's just getting worse, far more quickly-3 weeks Bully, that's it.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/10/geithner-banks-loans-opinions-columnists_0210_susan_lee.html

Geithner's Cash For Trash
Susan Lee, 02.10.09, 04:36 PM EST
Why no honest write-downs for bad debt?

He came. He spoke. The market tanked. He went. The market tanked some more. Such is the power of Treasury Secretary Geithner.

My spirits pretty much tanked, too. On the No. 1 problem--valuing toxic paper--no details were offered. Instead, Tim Geithner talked about some sort of vague public-private thingie from (or in) which the paper will appear having been miraculously priced. The cost of this mysterious process? Maybe $1 trillion, maybe more...

red states rule
02-11-2009, 07:23 AM
and this could come back to bite him in the midterms and in 2012

Obama stakes presidency on stimulus

Christina Bellantoni
Wednesday, February 11, 2009

FORT MYERS, Fla. |

President Obama on Tuesday for the first time staked his fledgling presidency on pulling the country from its economic crisis, promising dispirited Floridians that his stimulus plan will produce tangible results such as jobs and tuition credits or he'll be ousted from office in 2012.

Mr. Obama -- who earned a small victory when the Senate passed his $838 billion plan but then was hit with a big drop in the stock market -- was on the campaign trail again, using a town-hall meeting and one of the best weapons in his arsenal: himself.

Mr. Obama engagingly pushed his plan, joking that he would pull from the best ideas "whether it comes from a Democrat or a Republican or a vegetarian," acted as comforter in chief and, when asked about the country's notorious impatience, he strayed from his standard answer that the crisis won't be solved overnight.

"I expect to be judged by results and ... I'm not going to make any excuses," he said. "If stuff hasn't worked and people don't feel like I've led the country in the right direction, then -- you'll have a new president."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/11/obama-stakes-presidency-on-stimulus-success/

Yurt
02-11-2009, 09:29 AM
and this could come back to bite him in the midterms and in 2012

Obama stakes presidency on stimulus

Christina Bellantoni
Wednesday, February 11, 2009

FORT MYERS, Fla. |

President Obama on Tuesday for the first time staked his fledgling presidency on pulling the country from its economic crisis, promising dispirited Floridians that his stimulus plan will produce tangible results such as jobs and tuition credits or he'll be ousted from office in 2012.

Mr. Obama -- who earned a small victory when the Senate passed his $838 billion plan but then was hit with a big drop in the stock market -- was on the campaign trail again, using a town-hall meeting and one of the best weapons in his arsenal: himself.

Mr. Obama engagingly pushed his plan, joking that he would pull from the best ideas "whether it comes from a Democrat or a Republican or a vegetarian," acted as comforter in chief and, when asked about the country's notorious impatience, he strayed from his standard answer that the crisis won't be solved overnight.

"I expect to be judged by results and ... I'm not going to make any excuses," he said. "If stuff hasn't worked and people don't feel like I've led the country in the right direction, then -- you'll have a new president."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/feb/11/obama-stakes-presidency-on-stimulus-success/

liar, he has constantly blamed bush

red states rule
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
liar, he has constantly blamed bush

Of course he did. But the liberal media wil not call him on it

And when this mega pork bill makes things worse, he will forget this speech and blame Pres Bush, Republicans, talk radio, Fox News, and the racists in America