PDA

View Full Version : Republicans shut out of stimulus conference negotiations

Little-Acorn
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
"Change we can believe in". Uh-huh.

Someone should have told Congress that that's the new way of operating in Washington. Apparently they didn't get the memo.

When, oh when will Republicans learn what happens every time they trust Democrat promises to "be nice"?

--------------------------------------

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30667

Republicans Shut Out of Stimulus Conference Negotiations

by Connie Hair
02/11/2009

Republicans have caught the Democrats in a midnight “stimulus” power play that seeks to cut Republican conferees out of the House-Senate negotiations to resolve a final version of the Obama “stimulus” package. Staff members from the offices of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) met last night to put together the “stimulus” conference report.

They intend to attempt to shove this $1.3 trillion spending bill through in the dead of the night without Republican input so floor action can take place in both chambers on Thursday.

I spoke with House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence (R-Ind.) moments ago about this latest version of Democratic “bipartisanship.” Pence told me, “I think the American people deserve to know that legislation that would comprise an amount equal to the entire discretionary budget of the United States of America is being crafted without a single House Republican in the room.”

How many Senate RINOs will go along with this? Probably, just enough for the Dems to get away with it.

Yurt
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM
wow, the dems just love shutting the voice of others in this country that are not of their party....party over country, as if the dems are the only representatives of the people.

red states rule
02-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Someone should have told Congress that that's the new way of operating in Washington. Apparently they didn't get the memo.

When, oh when will Republicans learn what happens every time they trust Democrat promises to "be nice"?

by Connie Hair
02/11/2009

Republicans have caught the Democrats in a midnight “stimulus” power play that seeks to cut Republican conferees out of the House-Senate negotiations to resolve a final version of the Obama “stimulus” package. Staff members from the offices of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Ca.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) met last night to put together the “stimulus” conference report.

They intend to attempt to shove this $1.3 trillion spending bill through in the dead of the night without Republican input so floor action can take place in both chambers on Thursday.

I spoke with House Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence (R-Ind.) moments ago about this latest version of Democratic “bipartisanship.” Pence told me, “I think the American people deserve to know that legislation that would comprise an amount equal to the entire discretionary budget of the United States of America is being crafted without a single House Republican in the room.”

How many Senate RINOs will go along with this? Probably, just enough for the Dems to get away with it.

It is the government of the liberals, by the liberals, and for the liberals

Next up, silence voices of dissent on the radio

moderate democrat
02-11-2009, 01:17 PM
my guess is that Snowe, Collins and Specter will not be excluded as their continued support will be critical.

Yurt
02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
my guess is that Snowe, Collins and Specter will not be excluded as their continued support will be critical.

lol....you said earlier that republicans cannot direct anything and have no say regarding obama's admin and what he wants passed....now, because they of course support your party, they are "critical"

party over country everytime

moderate democrat
02-11-2009, 02:04 PM
lol....you said earlier that republicans cannot direct anything and have no say regarding obama's admin and what he wants passed....now, because they of course support your party, they are "critical"

party over country everytime

I am pleased that the three republican senators have a more patriotic view than you do. I am glad that they have joined the patriotic senate democrats in forging a consensus bill that will create jobs and economic activity for our country.

And I don't think I ever said that senate republicans cannot direct anything and have no say regardling the Obama administration and what he wants passed...I think I tried to get the point across that guys like YOU cannot direct anything and have no say regarding Obama's administration and what he wants passed... I stand by that. You are just a powerless whiner sitting in the cheap seats. Enjoy the ride!:laugh2:

Yurt
02-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I am pleased that the three republican senators have a more patriotic view than you do. I am glad that they have joined the patriotic senate democrats in forging a consensus bill that will create jobs and economic activity for our country.

And I don't think I ever said that senate republicans cannot direct anything and have no say regardling the Obama administration and what he wants passed...I think I tried to get the point across that guys like YOU cannot direct anything and have no say regarding Obama's administration and what he wants passed... I stand by that. You are just a powerless whiner sitting in the cheap seats. Enjoy the ride!:laugh2:

thank you for proving you are nothing but a political hack....

moderate democrat admits that he believes if you don't toe the democrat party line, you are unpatriotic...

party over country

red states rule
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Just make sure Obama does not go on TV again and talk about how this has been a bipartisan process.

If he does he will be lying.

bullypulpit
02-11-2009, 02:36 PM

by Connie Hair
02/11/2009

So...what's yer point? Congressional Republicans did that for six years when they held both Congress and the White House, never once making the attempts at bi-partisanship made by Obama and congressional Democrats.

red states rule
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
So...what's yer point? Congressional Republicans did that for six years when they held both Congress and the White House, never once making the attempts at bi-partisanship made by Obama and congressional Democrats.

The messiah is turning out to be a bigger divider than Pres Bush.

DragonStryk72
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Um, yeah, holding secret meetings completely excluding one side isn't "bipartisan", and nor did the Republicans run on a platform of change, especially not on a platform of getting rid of the partisan politics.

Classact
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
my guess is that Snowe, Collins and Specter will not be excluded as their continued support will be critical.My guess is you are full of nutrient depleted food stuffs along with brain swelling associated by your dumb assed parents dropping you on your head that leads you to this conclusion?

The reason the conference committee was completed before it started was because Snowe, Collins and Specter met with the Democratic members of the committee to make the changes before the committee even met. What's going on now is Nancy Pelosi is double checking to see if she will have enough Democrats to vote for the bill... a lot of Blue Dogs will probably vote no on the changes they made.

red states rule
02-11-2009, 05:32 PM
My guess is you are full of nutrient depleted food stuffs along with brain swelling associated by your dumb assed parents dropping you on your head that leads you to this conclusion?

The reason the conference committee was completed before it started was because Snowe, Collins and Specter met with the Democratic members of the committee to make the changes before the committee even met. What's going on now is Nancy Pelosi is double checking to see if she will have enough Democrats to vote for the bill... a lot of Blue Dogs will probably vote no on the changes they made.

At least Snowe, Specter, and Collins will still be on the invite list to the DC cocktail parties

Ms Clinton to the staff:

"Rochester, how about a round of cocktails for our bipartisan pals to go with that crab dip"?

"Only one, though. They have an early tee time tomorrow with the gang from Merrill Lynch."

Classact
02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
At least Snowe, Specter, and Collins will still be on the invite list to the DC cocktail parties

Ms Clinton to the staff:

"Rochester, how about a round of cocktails for our bipartisan pals to go with that crab dip"?

"Only one, though. They have an early tee time tomorrow with the gang from Merrill Lynch."I think they should celebrate early and Senator Byrd, Kennedy, and Specter could just go ahead and croak and Collins and Snowe then could really start to feel lonely so we could do this little thing all over again.

red states rule
02-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I think they should celebrate early and Senator Byrd, Kennedy, and Specter could just go ahead and croak and Collins and Snowe then could really start to feel lonely so we could do this little thing all over again.

CA I find it comical that so many of you libs screamed on "hope and change" all during the election

Now its "well that's how Bush & Co did it".

moderate democrat
02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Just make sure Obama does not go on TV again and talk about how this has been a bipartisan process.

If he does he will be lying.

Snowe, Collins and Specter would call YOU a liar.

moderate democrat
02-11-2009, 06:29 PM
thank you for proving you are nothing but a political hack....

moderate democrat admits that he believes if you don't toe the democrat party line, you are unpatriotic...

party over country

nice dizzying spin, counselor..

I believe that if you are not willing to put your country over your party and be willing to compromise for the good of the nation, as Snowe, Collins and Specter have clearly done... then you are a hack...like YOU.

red states rule
02-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Yep. They've gotten what they wanted. Now it's time for us to just be quiet and watch as they try to explain - in a few weeks - why all of a sudden they are complaining so much.

But the best part of this entire deal will be, no matter how hard they try, Dems simply can't blame Bush for any of it.

Though they will try. Their supporters will scream it

But ownership is all theirs - and the DNC logo is on the bill

bullypulpit
02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
The messiah is turning out to be a bigger divider than Pres Bush.

Not so much. He extended his hand to the GOP leadership and got it bitten off. Personally, I'd rather he beat them to death with the stump. But he'll keep trying to make peace with them, and they'll keep throwing bombs.

red states rule
02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Not so much. He extended his hand to the GOP leadership and got it bitten off. Personally, I'd rather he beat them to death with the stump. But he'll keep trying to make peace with them, and they'll keep throwing bombs.

I gues in your screwed up world BP, working with Dems is sitting down with them, and agreeing with whatever they demand

Looks like "transparency" did not last long.

And your tolerance is something to behold BP

Missileman
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM

There isn't anything patriotic about the stimulus bill. Not surprisingly, the news networks have dropped the charade and are calling it exactly what it is...a spending bill.

If the stimulus were indeed an urgent need, they would put forth a stripped down, bare bones STIMULUS bill and quickly passed it. Congress is using the economic "crisis" to craft a bill that is nothing more than a trojan horse to throw money at shit that wouldn't get funded otherwise.

red states rule
02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
There isn't anything patriotic about the stimulus bill. Not surprisingly, the news networks have dropped the charade and are calling it exactly what it is...a spending bill.

If the stimulus were indeed an urgent need, they would put forth a stripped down, bare bones STIMULUS bill and quickly passed it. Congress is using the economic "crisis" to craft a bill that is nothing more than a trojan horse to throw money at shit that wouldn't get funded otherwise.

The only thing Obama is stimulating is fear, doom, and gloom

moderate democrat
02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Yep. They've gotten what they wanted. Now it's time for us to just be quiet and watch as they try to explain - in a few weeks - why all of a sudden they are complaining so much.

But the best part of this entire deal will be, no matter how hard they try, Dems simply can't blame Bush for any of it.

Though they will try. Their supporters will scream it

But ownership is all theirs - and the DNC logo is on the bill

indeed... and if it works, every republican will be on the wrong side of history, except for Snowe, Collins and Specter. It could be devastating to the GOP.... you guys might need til mid century to recover!

red states rule
02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
indeed... and if it works, every republican will be on the wrong side of history, except for Snowe, Collins and Specter. It could be devastating to the GOP.... you guys might need til mid century to recover!

That what many libs said about the Carter years. and what would happen if Reagan won

Yea, Reagan would start WWIII, and make the economy worse

And Virgil, do not forget the 13 Dems in the House who voted against the mega prok bill

moderate democrat
02-11-2009, 11:21 PM
That what many libs said about the Carter years. and what would happen if Reagan won

Yea, Reagan would start WWIII, and make the economy worse

And Virgil, do not forget the 13 Dems in the House who voted against the mega prok bill

YOU are the one proclaiming doom and gloom. YOU are the one who hopes for the failure of our economic system. YOU are the one who puts party before country.

again... when the stimulus bill gets the economy moving, the entire republican party - except for Snowe, Collins, and Specter - will be worth about as much as a bucket of warm spit.

drink up.:beer:

bullypulpit
02-12-2009, 05:08 AM
I gues in your screwed up world BP, working with Dems is sitting down with them, and agreeing with whatever they demand

Looks like "transparency" did not last long.

And your tolerance is something to behold BP

Red...how soon you forget. "My way or the highway..." was George W. Bush's <i>modus operandi</i> for his whole presidency.

Sure, both the Republicans and the Democrats need to put partisanship aside in the worst possible way. We saw what giving House Republicans what they wanted on the jobs bill...not one single vote. And Senate Republicans vowed to vote against the bill en masse. Of course, their idea of economic stimulus is the same failed, discredited policies Bush offered up for eight years...Cut taxes. Hasn't worked so well, has it? How'd that 2008 emergency stimulus tax cut work out?

Why do you hate America, Red?

Psychoblues
02-12-2009, 05:18 AM
Bill Clinton worked with the Republicans for 8 long years. We got a lot accomplished during those years. I distinctly remember what that got him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Monica isn't the only one that ever gave him a blow job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Sitarro
02-12-2009, 05:37 AM

This bill won't create jobs, there might be some busy work created but not jobs....... that is at best, an exaggeration and worse, a lie.

Democrats Senators don't even know how to spell patriotic.:laugh2:

Psychoblues
02-12-2009, 05:41 AM
:lol::link::lol::link::lol:

This bill won't create jobs, there might be some busy work created but not jobs....... that is at best, an exaggeration and worse, a lie.

Democrats Senators don't even know how to spell patriotic.:laugh2:

You got something besides your obviously ignorant opinion to back up that juvenile statement, zero?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

darin
02-12-2009, 06:10 AM
PB removed from thread

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 06:53 AM

???....so it's okay to shut out freely elected congressmen who disagree with you, so long as you include the ones who agree?......

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 06:55 AM
I think I tried to get the point across that guys like YOU cannot direct anything and have no say regarding Obama's administration and what he wants passed... I stand by that. You are just a powerless whiner sitting in the cheap seats. Enjoy the ride!:laugh2:

wow.....with leadership like that, we really ARE fucked.....

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 06:56 AM

you mean like that Teddy Kennedy, George Bush education bill?......

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
wow.....with leadership like that, we really ARE fucked.....

that's your opinion. Like I said...enjoy the ride.:lol:

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 09:21 AM
you mean like that Teddy Kennedy, George Bush education bill?......

the exception proves the rule

red states rule
02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I wonder if Obama has some stimulus in the mega pork bill for his half brother

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_021109/content/01125107.Par.1851.ImageFile.jpg

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
the exception proves the rule

actually, I sort of thought the exception proved you wrong.....

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 10:07 AM
that's your opinion. Like I said...enjoy the ride.:lol:

/shrugs....I won't enjoy the ride....but don't pretend it looks like the ride you've been on for eight years....Dems have just taken political 'fuck you' to a new level......

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
/shrugs....I won't enjoy the ride....but don't pretend it looks like the ride you've been on for eight years....Dems have just taken political 'fuck you' to a new level......

again... your opinion which I do not share. I think that Bush gave the finger to the democrats in America pretty much nonstop for eight years... and the voters, from both parties, and those without party affiliation, showed in November that they were pretty sick of that.

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 12:46 PM
actually, I sort of thought the exception proved you wrong.....

there was an exception... which only serves to highlight how rare such an event really was.

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
again... your opinion which I do not share. I think that Bush gave the finger to the democrats in America pretty much nonstop for eight years... and the voters, from both parties, and those without party affiliation, showed in November that they were pretty sick of that.

????....if you think the voters were sick of it, why do you applaud it's continuation?.......

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 01:58 PM
????....if you think the voters were sick of it, why do you applaud it's continuation?.......

I don't think they were sick of simply one party ignoring the other as much as they were sick of what that one party did WHEN it ignored the other.:coffee:

Silver
02-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Bush DID NOT and COULD NOT get any legislation passed without the co-operation and votes of Democrats....lets stop the bullshit re-writing of history, especially when the truth is so fresh in our minds....:upyours:

red states rule
02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Bush DID NOT and COULD NOT get any legislation passed without the co-operation and votes of Democrats....lets stop the bullshit re-writing of history, especially when the truth is so fresh in our minds....:upyours:

MD (i.e. MFM) knows the truth, but he never speaks it or allows it to ebter any of his posts

The only good news is, his beloved Dem party owns this bill, and now ownes the economy.

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 02:19 PM

like Obama got the cooperation and votes from republicans for the stimulus package?

red states rule
02-12-2009, 02:30 PM
like Obama got the cooperation and votes from republicans for the stimulus package?

abd that is a good thing. Dems (except for the 13 Dems in the House who voted NO) own this bill, and they now own the economy

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
abd that is a good thing. Dems (except for the 13 Dems in the House who voted NO) own this bill, and they now own the economy

but Obama DID get cooperation from republicans to pass this bill. He would have been unable to get it passed the senate without republican votes.

red states rule
02-12-2009, 02:38 PM
but Obama DID get cooperation from republicans to pass this bill. He would have been unable to get it passed the senate without republican votes.

But Dems own the bill since out of 535 people - THREE RINO's voted for it

Your party owns it and they own the economy

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't think they were sick of simply one party ignoring the other as much as they were sick of what that one party did WHEN it ignored the other.:coffee:
ah, so you think that the majority of voters were just sick of Republicans?.....I guess that would explain the 12% approval rating the Democratic controlled Congress had last year......

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
But Dems own the bill since out of 535 people - THREE RINO's voted for it

Your party owns it and they own the economy

absolutely. and your party will have nothing to do with the recovery

red states rule
02-12-2009, 02:45 PM

Speaking of "recovery"

Stocks slide as investors worry about economy
By TIM PARADIS – 2 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Investors' concerns about the U.S. economy aren't letting up even as Congress reached a deal on a $789 billion economic stimulus plan.

A surprise jump in retail sales couldn't lift the market's downcast mood either, and stocks tumbled early Thursday. Investors looked past the stimulus plan and economic reports to cautious earnings forecasts and lingering questions about the health of the banking sector.

After an intense focus on Washington this week on the stimulus plan and the Treasury Department's revision to its financial rescue plan, investors are finding little reason to be optimistic.

The House could vote on the measure as soon as Thursday, though Friday seemed more likely. The Senate would follow.

"The stimulus bill looks like a little bit of a wet blanket," said Randy Frederick, director of trading and derivatives at Charles Schwab. "There is some concern that maybe this thing won't work as well as expected."

The Commerce Department said retail sales jumped 1 percent in January, the biggest increase in 14 months. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters had expected sales would fall 0.8 percent. Sales tumbled 2.7 percent in December, which had the weakest holiday selling season since at least 1969.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gHs5OM3gFG_DytQQZFbWfgPT08MAD96A55PG0

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 02:46 PM

unfortunately, your party will have everything to do with it's failure.....

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 02:47 PM
ah, so you think that the majority of voters were just sick of Republicans?.....I guess that would explain the 12% approval rating the Democratic controlled Congress had last year......

democratic controlled congress. :laugh2: We had 49 senators... and were unable to get anything past the filibustering republicans.

and again... you are free to interpret the vote in november any way you like. have at it. I am sure that the democratic party won the white house and increased their seats in both chambers of congress because the people reall DID love the republican party after all!

red states rule
02-12-2009, 02:48 PM
unfortunately, your party will have everything to do with it's failure.....

But they will use the following excuses

1) It is Bush's fault. Things were much worse then even we thought

2) Republicnas did not let us spend the right amount of money

3) We need more stimulus packages. One bil will not fix everything

Yurt
02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
nice dizzying spin, counselor..

I believe that if you are not willing to put your country over your party and be willing to compromise for the good of the nation, as Snowe, Collins and Specter have clearly done... then you are a hack...like YOU.

you're a sad political hack preacher

to those who do not toe the democrat platform, they are unpatriotic.

now we know how you really feel about your country, party first, everything else second.

Yurt
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM

and people will believe it. republicans need to hit back and hit hard. i just don't see playing nice working, the dems are dirty players, whiners, and it is working with the voters.

red states rule
02-12-2009, 03:27 PM
and people will believe it. republicans need to hit back and hit hard. i just don't see playing nice working, the dems are dirty players, whiners, and it is working with the voters.

Rush talked about that yesterday, and today

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/today.parcoltop22.61100.ImageFile.jpg

Our Time Will Come, Liberals
February 11, 2009

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_021109/content/01125107.guest.html

manu1959
02-12-2009, 03:27 PM

no need to .... the dems will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....watch...

Yurt
02-12-2009, 03:29 PM
no need to .... the dems will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory....watch...

how so?

red states rule
02-12-2009, 03:32 PM

The economy is showing improvement WITHOUT the mega pork bill

Retail sales rebound, jobless claims fall in latest reports

WASHINGTON (Reuters) — The economy delivered some good news for a change Thursday. Government reports said retail sales rose in January and new claims for unemployment benefits fell in the latest week.
• The number of first-time applications for jobless benefits dropped to a seasonally-adjusted 623,000, from an upwardly revised figure of 631,000 the previous week.

The 631,000 figure was the highest since October 1982, when the economy was emerging from a steep recession, though the labor force has grown by about half since then.

The four-week average of claims, which smooths out fluctuations, rose 24,000 to 607,500, first time that figure has topped 600,000 in the current recession.

In a sign that laid-off workers are having difficulty finding new work, the number of people claiming benefits for more than one week rose to 4.81 million from 4.78 million, highest total since records began in 1967. The continuing claims data lags the new claims numbers by one week.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2009-02-12-jobless-retail-sales_N.htm

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 04:20 PM
you're a sad political hack preacher

to those who do not toe the democrat platform, they are unpatriotic.

now we know how you really feel about your country, party first, everything else second.

I am not a preacher, counselor. I am pleased that republican senators joined with democrats in passing the stimulus bill. I only wish Grassley had been onboard as well.

I put my country first and I believe that this stimulus package will be good for my country.... so do democrats in congress or they would not support it.

red states rule
02-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I am not a preacher, counselor. I am pleased that republican senators joined with democrats in passing the stimulus bill. I only wish Grassley had been onboard as well.

I put my country first and I believe that this stimulus package will be good for my country.... so do democrats in congress or they would not support it.

You would feel ANYTHING Dems presented would be good - regardless if investors or voters liked it or not

So far, only a minority approve of the mega prok bill

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 04:30 PM
You would feel ANYTHING Dems presented would be good - regardless if investors or voters liked it or not

So far, only a minority approve of the mega prok bill

according to rasmussen, more folks support it than do not support it.

red states rule
02-12-2009, 04:34 PM
according to rasmussen, more folks support it than do not support it.

Support for Stimulus Package Falls to 37%
Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Support for the economic recovery plan working its way through Congress has fallen again this week. For the first time, a plurality of voters nationwide oppose the $800-billion-plus plan.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that 37% favor the legislation, 43% are opposed, and 20% are not sure.

Two weeks ago, 45% supported the plan. Last week, 42% supported it.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/economic_stimulus_package/support_for_stimulus_package_falls_to_37

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 04:40 PM
old news, RSR...why am I not surprised???

Thursday, February 12, 2009
President Obama’s prime-time press conference and his campaign-style events this week have boosted support for the economic recovery plan working its way through Congress.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 44% of U.S. voters now support the plan while 40% are opposed. A week ago, just 37% favored the legislation, and 43% were opposed.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/february_2009/obama_campaigning_builds_support_for_stimulus_prog ram

red states rule
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
old news, RSR...why am I not surprised???

Thursday, February 12, 2009
President Obama’s prime-time press conference and his campaign-style events this week have boosted support for the economic recovery plan working its way through Congress.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 44% of U.S. voters now support the plan while 40% are opposed. A week ago, just 37% favored the legislation, and 43% were opposed.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/february_2009/obama_campaigning_builds_support_for_stimulus_prog ram

Within the margin of error :laugh2:

Stocks end day mixed amid stimulus concerns
One market observer says plan ‘looks like a little bit of a wet blanket’

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3683270/

Yurt
02-12-2009, 04:45 PM

why are you so bitter...is it because it only gets 20 degrees in the summer where you live?

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 04:47 PM
why are you so bitter...is it because it only gets 20 degrees in the summer where you live?

you clearly have never been in Iowa before.

and I am not bitter about anything. I am a totally happy camper!

Yurt
02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
you clearly have never been in Iowa before.

and I am not bitter about anything. I am a totally happy camper!

you don't live on summer street, you live on bitter street

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 05:01 PM
you don't live on summer street, you live on bitter street

I don't live on any street...I live on an avenue. and I am far from bitter, yurt. I got the world on a string. life is good for me. sorry, it's not so much for you, obviously.

red states rule
02-12-2009, 05:07 PM
and I thought Obama was bringing change

Right Direction or Wrong Track
26% Say U.S. is Moving in the Right Direction

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Twenty-six percent (26%) of American voters say the nation is moving in the right direction, while 66% say it is heading down the wrong track, according to the latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

The number of voters who think America is moving in the right direction is down slightly from last week’s high of 29%, but it marks the third straight week in which over a quarter of voters share that opinion despite increasing bad economic news.

Last week, 62% said the nation was heading down the wrong track. Clearly voters remain at least somewhat confident that President Obama is taking the country in the right direction.

Confidence among men fell slightly from 27% last week to 23% this week. Among women, 29% say the nation is heading in the right direction, down from 31% a week ago. Seventy (70%) of men and 61% of women think the United States is going down the wrong track.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/right_direction_wrong_track/right_direction_or_wrong_track

Yurt
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
hard to have confidence when all obama does is preach doom and gloom and bashes on republicans...

very little, if any, positive messages, the only positive thing he ran on in the campaign was that he was not bush, he was "change"

red states rule
02-12-2009, 05:39 PM
hard to have confidence when all obama does is preach doom and gloom and bashes on republicans...

very little, if any, positive messages, the only positive thing he ran on in the campaign was that he was not bush, he was "change"

Yurt, Pres Reagan talked to us about our hopes - Pres Obama talks to us about our fears

Can you see Pres Reagan shifting the blame on the economy to Carter? Or saying if Congress did not do as he wanted, we will face catastrophe?

DragonStryk72
02-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Yurt, Pres Reagan talked to us about our hopes - Pres Obama talks to us about our fears

Can you see Pres Reagan shifting the blame on the economy to Carter? Or saying if Congress did not do as he wanted, we will face catastrophe?

Okay, I'm about to massively show my dork side here, but here goes: Being a big time comics fan, there was one comic run that I think actually is poignant to this discussion. A few years ago, they did the Ion plotline for Green Lantern. Green Lantern achieves almost limitless power, and begins making use of it like a hero would: He rushes about saving people, and not just from things like enormous natural disasters, or super-villains, he's saving people from shoplifting, taking a bad fall down the stairs. He disarms an entire alien race that are hellbent on wiping each other out, these sorts of things.

Being a member of JLA, he finally gets to meet Superman, his childhood hero. Only Supes isn't happy with what GL's been doing, and so takes him down to Metropolis. There, a fire is consuming most of a building, and Supes halts GL from rushing in to save the day, explaining that it is far better to see if they even need the help, rather than simply assuming they do, because it is important for people to learn how to take care of themselves, as opposed to just waiting for some superhero to run in and fix everything.

It seems like the same thing here. The Dems are trying to "fix" things, but just as the article you posted about the job market shows, the people are able to pick up the pieces here, without the government getting itself involved. Unlike the above example though, they aren't taking the lesson from this and backing down the stimulus package, they're simply shoving it through because they're already committed to it.

KSigMason
02-13-2009, 12:38 AM
This is complete utter BS! No side on any issue should be excluded. This is in essence, taxation without representation.

Yurt
02-13-2009, 12:50 AM
This is complete utter BS! No side on any issue should be excluded. This is in essence, taxation without representation.

you know, that is actually a really good point

moderate democrat
02-13-2009, 12:53 AM

noi side is excluded. the stimulus package will have to come before the full house and senate and everyone gets their say. then they vote.

Yurt
02-13-2009, 12:56 AM
noi side is excluded. the stimulus package will have to come before the full house and senate and everyone gets their say. then they vote.

they would locked out :poke:

how childish and this will come back and bite dems in the ass

Silver
02-13-2009, 10:56 PM

Obama doesn't need ANY support from the R's to pass anything....and didn't get any support for this debacle from R's....in other words...its a dem. boondoggle completely ...

bullypulpit
02-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Are they excuses if they're true?

While Bush and the GOP played largest hand in the current mess...theirs were not the only ones in the pot. The tendency of the Democrats to knuckle under to the GOP majority, or minority, since '94 is well documented. And things way well be worse than we thought as the paper on commercial real-estate has yet to bubble up in this economic cesspool created under the Bush administration and the GOP controlled Congress.

We may indeed need further spending...to expect this single bill to provide all of the stimulus needed, weighed down as it is with GOP tax-cuts...some 42%. Where were the jobs and economic growth from that tax-cut in '08? Nothing like leavening the package with failed GOP policy.

But, really, why weren't you bitching about saddling future generations with mountains of debt while Bush and his GOP cronies were running up a $1 trillion deficit?

Missileman
02-14-2009, 09:28 AM
We may indeed need further spending...to expect this single bill to provide all of the stimulus needed, weighed down as it is with GOP tax-cuts...some 42%. Where were the jobs and economic growth from that tax-cut in '08? Nothing like leavening the package with failed GOP policy.

The only part of the bill with any shot at stimulating the economy is the tax cut...most of the rest of the money is being thrown at BS social spending that only serves to increase our debt.

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Obama doesn't need ANY support from the R's to pass anything....and didn't get any support for this debacle from R's....in other words...its a dem. boondoggle completely ...

of course he did. He needed at least three senate republicans or the bill would have never been passed.

Immanuel
02-14-2009, 09:58 AM

And you watch, if the endeavor fails, they will blame the Republicans.

Immie

red states rule
02-14-2009, 10:22 AM
This should be called "Obama' s Pork & Beans Stimulus Plan."

It is all fat & give you gas.

red states rule
02-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Are they excuses if they're true?

While Bush and the GOP played largest hand in the current mess...theirs were not the only ones in the pot. The tendency of the Democrats to knuckle under to the GOP majority, or minority, since '94 is well documented. And things way well be worse than we thought as the paper on commercial real-estate has yet to bubble up in this economic cesspool created under the Bush administration and the GOP controlled Congress.

But, really, why weren't you bitching about saddling future generations with mountains of debt while Bush and his GOP cronies were running up a $1 trillion deficit?

By all means BP, start with the excuses now and avioid the rush later

Obama and Dems, in an iutburst of kindness gave workers an extra $33 per month, while spending money of these job creators

$30 million for the endangered salt marsh harvest mouse (One of Nancy Pelosi's pork projects)

$50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts
$380 million in the Senate bill for the Women, Infants and Children program

$300 million for grants to combat violence against women

$2 billion for federal child-care block grants

$6 billion for university building projects

$15 billion for boosting Pell Grant college scholarships

$4 billion for job-training programs, including $1.2 billion for “youths” up to the age of 24

$1 billion for community-development block grants

$4.2 billion for “neighborhood stabilization activities”

$650 million for digital-TV coupons

$150 million for the Smithsonian

$34 million to renovate the Department of Commerce headquarters

$500 million for improvement projects for National Institutes of Health facilities

$44 million for repairs to Department of Agriculture headquarters

$350 million for Agriculture Department computers
$88 million to help move the Public Health Service into a new building

$448 million for constructing a new Homeland Security Department headquarters

$600 million to convert the federal auto fleet to hybrids

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YjcyODIyZGM2MGU1ZDdkNDgxZDc3OTNjYjM4ZDY1ODI=

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 11:06 AM
By all means BP, start with the excuses now and avioid the rush later

Obama and Dems, in an iutburst of kindness gave workers an extra $33 per month, while spending money of these job creators

$30 million for the endangered salt marsh harvest mouse (One of Nancy Pelosi's pork projects)
creates jobs and economic activity

$50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts
$380 million in the Senate bill for the Women, Infants and Children program

$300 million for grants to combat violence against women

$2 billion for federal child-care block grants

$6 billion for university building projects

$15 billion for boosting Pell Grant college scholarships

$4 billion for job-training programs, including $1.2 billion for “youths” up to the age of 24

$1 billion for community-development block grants

$4.2 billion for “neighborhood stabilization activities”

$650 million for digital-TV coupons
$150 million for the Smithsonian

$34 million to renovate the Department of Commerce headquarters

$500 million for improvement projects for National Institutes of Health facilities

$44 million for repairs to Department of Agriculture headquarters

$350 million for Agriculture Department computers
$88 million to help move the Public Health Service into a new buildingcreates jobs and economic activity

$448 million for constructing a new Homeland Security Department headquarters

$600 million to convert the federal auto fleet to hybrids

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YjcyODIyZGM2MGU1ZDdkNDgxZDc3OTNjYjM4ZDY1ODI=

creating jobs and economic activity: the goal of an economic stimulus program!

red states rule
02-14-2009, 11:08 AM

Right - and it only costs the tacpayer $230.000 per job IF 4 million jobs are created

Enjoy the ride MD - Dems now own the economy and the Obama Pork and Beans Stimulus Bill

Let the excuses fly as the economy slides because of it

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Right - and it only costs the tacpayer $230.000 per job IF 4 million jobs are created

Enjoy the ride MD - Dems now own the economy and the Obama Pork and Beans Stimulus Bill

Let the excuses fly as the economy slides because of it

and please send along our thanks to Snowe, Collins and Specter...three republicans without whom none of this would be possible!

I agree that Obama has owned this stimulus bill... and he clearly is banking on the fact that it will be a positive stimulus to the nation's economy. Tme will tell. The point of my prior post is simply this: all those programs which you call "pork" do, in fact, create jobs and economic activity. Jobs and economic activity creates more jobs and more economic activity, and do it goes. Time will tell.

YOU can hope for the failure of the economy, because that is what partisan hacks like you who value party over country will tend to do. I hope our economy does well... for the good of our country.

red states rule
02-14-2009, 11:18 AM
and please send along our thanks to Snowe, Collins and Specter...three republicans without whom none of this would be possible!

I agree that Obama has owned this stimulus bill... and he clearly is banking on the fact that it will be a positive stimulus to the nation's economy. Tme will tell. The point of my prior post is simply this: all those programs which you call "pork" do, in fact, create jobs and economic activity. Jobs and economic activity creates more jobs and more economic activity, and do it goes. Time will tell.

YOU can hope for the failure of the economy, because that is what partisan hacks like you who value party over country will tend to do. I hope our economy does well... for the good of our country.

Liberals like you would rather destroy a nation to preserve the party

I remember well how libs sang the praises of McCain - before they turned on him to help preserve the party. They would do the same to Snowe, Collins and Specter without giving it a second thought

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Liberals like you would rather destroy a nation to preserve the party

your words prove you wrong. YOU are hoping that the stimulus plan will fail. YOu are hoping for economic hardship to build for Americans just so your party can make political gains. YOU clearly are hoping for the destruction of our nation's economy in order to reengergize your political party.

party over country. proven.

red states rule
02-14-2009, 11:35 AM
your words prove you wrong. YOU are hoping that the stimulus plan will fail. YOu are hoping for economic hardship to build for Americans just so your party can make political gains. YOU clearly are hoping for the destruction of our nation's economy in order to reengergize your political party.

party over country. proven.

I do not have to hope it fails - it will fail. Basic economic tells you it will. Deficit spending (the same spending libs like you were opposed to when Bush was President) meaningless pork, and political payoffs will not do anything to jolt the economy

In fact the true cost of this bill is over $3 trillion - all out on the nations credit card

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 12:26 PM
I do not have to hope it fails - it will fail. Basic economic tells you it will. Deficit spending (the same spending libs like you were opposed to when Bush was President) meaningless pork, and political payoffs will not do anything to jolt the economy

In fact the true cost of this bill is over $3 trillion - all out on the nations credit card

you don't HAVE to hope it fails...but you still DO hope it fails.

every bit of "pork" in that bill provides employment and economic activity, but you hope that it doesn't work. YOu don't WANT it to work, because, even though having it work might be good for the country, it would be BAD for your party, and we both know...

party over country for YOU every time.

red states rule
02-14-2009, 12:43 PM
you don't HAVE to hope it fails...but you still DO hope it fails.

every bit of "pork" in that bill provides employment and economic activity, but you hope that it doesn't work. YOu don't WANT it to work, because, even though having it work might be good for the country, it would be BAD for your party, and we both know...

party over country for YOU every time.

Sounds like you are trying to change to topic. As Obama's dead fish mailer said - "Never let a serious crisis go to waste. What I mean by that is it's an opportunity to do things you couldn't do before"

So libs went back and put things that were voted down in the past into the mego pork bill and sold it as a job creator

In reality, it was nothing more then politcal payoffs and fullfilling liberal wish lists

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Sounds like you are trying to change to topic. As Obama's dead fish mailer said - "Never let a serious crisis go to waste. What I mean by that is it's an opportunity to do things you couldn't do before"

So libs went back and put things that were voted down in the past into the mego pork bill and sold it as a job creator

In reality, it was nothing more then politcal payoffs and fullfilling liberal wish lists

sounds to me like you are trying to distract everyone's attention from the FACT that you HOPE that the country's economy will go into the tank as a result of Obama's stimulus package. You WANT our country to fail...

I would not want to call attention to that if I were you either!

red states rule
02-14-2009, 01:28 PM
sounds to me like you are trying to distract everyone's attention from the FACT that you HOPE that the country's economy will go into the tank as a result of Obama's stimulus package. You WANT our country to fail...

I would not want to call attention to that if I were you either!

Once again Virgil, as Rush said

If Obama wants to raise taxes, increase the size of government, increase pork, increase dependence on government, have more government regulation on the private sector - damn right I hope he fails

This mega pork bill is a disaster waiting to happen

As you libs said about our troops in Iraq - I support Pres Obama, but not his misson or policies

red states rule
02-14-2009, 01:49 PM
Now explain to me how Congress can protect and defend the Constitution by voting a bill into law they haven't read.

Mortgage and title companies are required by law to provide closing papers at least 24 hours in advance of close. The reason is so the buyer can read them and learn whats in in those documents

Once again, Dems exempt themselves from the law they created. But hey, we are only talking about the largest spending bill ever passed in US history. Why should the public care how ther tax dollars are being spent?

At least that is the attitude of the Dems and the Obamabots

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Once again Virgil, as Rush said

If Obama wants to raise taxes, increase the size of government, increase pork, increase dependence on government, have more government regulation on the private sector - damn right I hope he fails

This mega pork bill is a disaster waiting to happen

As you libs said about our troops in Iraq - I support Pres Obama, but not his misson or policies

Elmer:

you want our economy to suffer for your own political party's gains.

party over country...just like I said.

Immanuel
02-14-2009, 02:04 PM

Most of those create very few if any jobs and at best the jobs are short term. They may encourage some minor economic activity which makes the E.S.P. exactly what so many people are calling it... a spending bill.

Not something I expect that our great grandchildren can afford.

Immie

Yurt
02-14-2009, 07:45 PM
it is not the government's job to create growth or jobs. just ask the former soviet union how well that went.

with that said, i hope i am wrong and that this obscene amount of money does fix things. what is likely is that the economy will fix itself and of course the dems will take the credit.

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 08:04 PM
i hope i am wrong and that this obscene amount of money does fix things.

that single sentiment highlights the difference between you and your "intimate friend", RSR... He does NOT want the stimulus bill to save the economy. He wants it to fail because he does not care for the United States of America unless his party can run the whole show.

Yurt
02-14-2009, 08:10 PM
that single sentiment highlights the difference between you and your "intimate friend", RSR... He does NOT want the stimulus bill to save the economy. He wants it to fail because he does not care for the United States of America unless his party can run the whole show.

fuck you. either debate or stfu.

moderate democrat
02-14-2009, 08:15 PM
fuck you. either debate or stfu.

and I thought you guys were tight.

my bad.

DannyR
02-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Now explain to me how Congress can protect and defend the Constitution by voting a bill into law they haven't read.Good point. I don't care how honest one is. You try and get someone to sign something without giving them the chance to read the fine print is almost always done with the intent to hide the details. That the request has even been made should automatically slow this bill up significantly.

DragonStryk72
02-15-2009, 01:58 AM

No, no, they create the illusion of them. yes, there will be an intial rise in the number of jobs, right before the jacked up cost of living that we'll need in order to pay even the interest off. Heck, just about anything can create jobs, I mean, if I shot up a 7-11, there would be more jobs, but does that make it a good thing?

red states rule
02-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Good point. I don't care how honest one is. You try and get someone to sign something without giving them the chance to read the fine print is almost always done with the intent to hide the details. That the request has even been made should automatically slow this bill up significantly.

and if this bill had to passed quickly to stop an economic collapse, why is Obama waiting to sign it in Denver tomorrow?

The extra couple days could have been used for members of Congress to READ THE BILL

Obama would rather have a massive photo-op and milk glowing coverage from the liberal media - that is the real reason for the delay

PostmodernProphet
02-16-2009, 10:29 AM
and if this bill had to passed quickly to stop an economic collapse, why is Obama waiting to sign it in Denver tomorrow?

The extra couple days could have been used for members of Congress to READ THE BILL

Obama would rather have a massive photo-op and milk glowing coverage from the liberal media - that is the real reason for the delay

I want him to take a couple of day before he signs it.....when we end up in court I don't want him to try to use the excuse that he signed it without reading it......