PDA

View Full Version : For Now The Anti-Stimulus Actions Appear To Resonate

Kathianne
02-12-2009, 06:58 AM
The public, not the hardcore supporters seem to be more than a little disillusioned with what is going on. Of course, if this works without any more huge bills being passed, the tide will be turned back.

I can't see that happening though, not with all the negative malaise push from the administration and Congress.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/barone/2009/2/11/republicans-trail-obama-dems-by-one-point-in-poll--anti-stimulus-push-is-working.html

Republicans Trail Obama Dems By One Point in Poll--Anti-Stimulus Push Is Working
February 11, 2009 12:10 PM ET | Michael Barone | Permanent Link | Print
By Michael Barone, Thomas Jefferson Street blog

Astonishing news on the generic ballot question. Pollster Scott Rasmussen reports that Democrats are currently ahead of Republicans by only 40 percent to 39 percent. Given that this generic ballot question over the years has tended to understate Republicans' performances in actual elections, one gathers that if the 2010 election for House seats were held today, Republicans would win or come close to winning a majority of seats—which is to say, they would gain about 40 seats....

red states rule
02-12-2009, 07:13 AM
I hope when the details of this mega pork bill come out, and it does not live up to its hype - the voters will speak loudly in 2010

Dems have set in motion years of increased government spending. The additional spending for social programs will NOT be reduced even in good times

Looks like the annual Federal Budget will contiinue to grow no matter what happens. How long before the budget Obama sends to Congress exceeds $4 trillion?

Which is what Dems intended in the first place

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm worried that it won't matter....Dems claim it isn't pork, but this bill is distinguished by the few items that AREN'T pork....it's as if a few years of being denied the gravy train have gone to their heads and they are determined to take what they want now that they can regardless of what it does to the country or to their re-election future.....

red states rule
02-12-2009, 07:22 AM
I'm worried that it won't matter....Dems claim it isn't pork, but this bill is distinguished by the few items that AREN'T pork....it's as if a few years of being denied the gravy train have gone to their heads and they are determined to take what they want now that they can regardless of what it does to the country or to their re-election future.....

The patience of the voters is the key. Since most of the spending is set for 2010, 2011, and 2012 if the economy is not better by the mid terms, Dems could pay the price

Of course, Dems will have their cheerleaders in the media trying to tell the voters int is not Obama and the Dems fault

Psychoblues
02-12-2009, 07:58 AM
What might be your pork is my beef and taters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-12-2009, 08:00 AM
What might be your pork is my beef and taters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Which one is your beef and taters?

snip

One theme in this bill is superfluous spending items coated with green sugar to make them more palatable. Both NASA and NOAA come in for appropriations that properly belong in the regular budget, but this spending apparently qualifies for the stimulus bill because part of the money from each allocation is reserved for climate-change research. For instance, the bill grants NASA $450 million, but it states that the agency must spend at least $200 million on “climate-research missions,” which raises the question: Is there global warming in space?

The bottom line is that there is a way to fund government agencies, and that is the federal budget, not an “emergency” stimulus package. As Riedl puts it, “Amount allocated to the Census Bureau? $1 billion. Jobs created? None.”

Summary:
$150 million for the Smithsonian
$34 million to renovate the Department of Commerce headquarters
$500 million for improvement projects for National Institutes of Health facilities
$44 million for repairs to Department of Agriculture headquarters
$350 million for Agriculture Department computers
$88 million to help move the Public Health Service into a new building
$448 million for constructing a new Homeland Security Department headquarters
$600 million to convert the federal auto fleet to hybrids
$450 million for NASA (carve-out for “climate-research missions”)
$600 million for NOAA (carve-out for “climate modeling”)
$1 billion for the Census Bureau

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YjcyODIyZGM2MGU1ZDdkNDgxZDc3OTNjYjM4ZDY1ODI=