PDA

View Full Version : Granting legal rights to great apes...

stephanie
03-31-2007, 04:46 PM
:eek:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 22, 2007

Beginning a movement that may propel Spain as a leader in animal welfare, the Balearic Parliament has recently announced its approval of a resolution to grant legal rights to great apes. The Balearic Islands are located in the western Mediterranean Sea, near the eastern coast of the Iberian Peninsula, and form one of the Autonomous Communities of Spain The Islands are one of the most popular holiday destinations in all of Europe
Deputy Margalida Rosselló presented the Balearic Parliament with the resolution early last summer, requesting a declaration of support for the mission of the Great Ape Project, International - to legally grant great apes freedom from torture, mistreatment and unnecessary death. This resolution has also been presented to the Spanish Government and is expected to be considered this summer after being deferred due to unrelated political issues last year. According the Pedro Pozas, Executive Director of Great Ape Project, Spain, “the decision of the Balearic Government to approve this Proposal, makes it a world-wide leader in the protection of the great apes and their habitat, as well as in the support of their rights.”

Opponents cite concern over granting “human” rights to animals. However, supporters are quick to point out that the resolution approved by the Balearic Parliament and proposed to the Spanish Government does not seek to grant great apes the same rights available only to humans. The proposition simply recognizes basic legal protections supported by biological and scientific evidence that great apes, like human children, experience an emotional and intellectual conscience similar to that of human children. For years, the scientific community has widely recognized that great apes experience intense emotions such as fear, anxiety, happiness; can independently solve puzzles and create and use tools; recognize the past and plan for their future; and can learn to communicate in and unilaterally teach a different language to their children.

By declaring its support of fundamental rights for great apes, the Balearic Parliament has taken scientific evidence to the next level by establishing a legal recognition that these creatures are conscious, self-aware beings that should not be tortured, abused and neglected. The efforts by the Balearic Parliament to stop the oppression of intelligent and self-aware beings who cannot speak for themselves is an important step in the political arena of animal rights.

For more information on this topic, visit www.greatapeproject.org or www.proyectogransimio.org

Michele L. Stumpe, Esq.
President, Great Ape Project International

BIO:
Michele L. Stumpe, Esq. is an attorney and legal consultant who began working with gorillas, chimpanzees and orangutans as a teenager. Early in her career, Stumpe set out to combine her legal and business talents with her passion for conservation and great ape rights. She became the legal consultant to Gorilla Haven, the only gorilla sanctuary in the USA, and also served on the legal advisory board to the Great Ape Project, International. In 2005, she became a member of the Gorilla Haven Board of Directors and was appointed as a Trustee for the organization. She has volunteered at sanctuaries for great apes in Africa and the US. She currently serves as the President of Great Ape Project, International.

grunt
03-31-2007, 04:50 PM
There's a really funny joke here...I know it...but alas..I won't say it. LOL!

stephanie
03-31-2007, 05:05 PM
There's a really funny joke here...I know it...but alas..I won't say it. LOL!

:laugh2:

Gaffer
03-31-2007, 06:46 PM
They won't grant independence to basque seperatists but they will to a bunch of apes. That makes sense.

grunt
03-31-2007, 06:54 PM
They won't grant independence to basque seperatists but they will to a bunch of apes. That makes sense.

There's a difference? Oh, wait, one group is classifed as terrorists by the EU...the other is not. I'll give you three try's to guess which is which.

manu1959
03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
There's a difference? Oh, wait, one group is classifed as terrorists by the EU...the other is not. I'll give you three try's to guess which is which.

they are freedom fighters

Mr. P
03-31-2007, 06:58 PM
When world society finally collapses those with ‘common’ sense’ will restore it.

*Then we should kill all the IDIOTS*

manu1959
03-31-2007, 07:00 PM
When world society finally collapses those with ‘common’ sense’ will restore it.

*Then we should kill all the IDIOTS*

my mom always say that there should be a test every year .... if you fail they kill you....

grunt
03-31-2007, 07:51 PM
my mom always say that there should be a test every year .... if you fail they kill you....

Your mom is a Nazi?

5stringJeff
03-31-2007, 08:13 PM
When the apes can argue their rights in court, they can have them.

manu1959
03-31-2007, 09:02 PM
Your mom is a Nazi?

nope californian

Abbey Marie
03-31-2007, 09:31 PM
:eek:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

...supporters are quick to point out that the resolution approved by the Balearic Parliament and proposed to the Spanish Government does not seek to grant great apes the same rights available only to humans. The proposition simply recognizes basic legal protections supported by biological and scientific evidence that great apes, like human children, experience an emotional and intellectual conscience similar to that of human children. For years, the scientific community has widely recognized that great apes experience intense emotions such as fear, anxiety, happiness; can independently solve puzzles and create and use tools; recognize the past and plan for their future; and can learn to communicate in and unilaterally teach a different language to their children.

By declaring its support of fundamental rights for great apes, the Balearic Parliament has taken scientific evidence to the next level by establishing a legal recognition that these creatures are conscious, self-aware beings that should not be tortured, abused and neglected. The efforts by the Balearic Parliament to stop the oppression of intelligent and self-aware beings who cannot speak for themselves is an important step in the political arena of animal rights.

I don't have a problem with this, if this is what it takes to keep people from torturing, abusing and neglecting them.

grunt
03-31-2007, 09:32 PM
nope californian

ah...what's the difference? :laugh2:

manu1959
03-31-2007, 09:34 PM
ah...what's the difference? :laugh2:

i guess your claim to be inteligent and polite is simply that

grunt
03-31-2007, 09:35 PM
i guess your claim to be inteligent and polite is simply that

I'm just messing with ya.... Don't take it so personally! :cheers2:

stephanie
03-31-2007, 09:35 PM
I think the thing about this Abbey, is they already have protected right's about the things you highlighted...

At least I think they do..??
I'm all for protecting them from those things also..
But I'm not sure how you can give an animal, human rights??

Abbey Marie
03-31-2007, 09:39 PM
I think the thing about this Abbey, is they already have protected right's about the things you highlighted...

At least I think they do..??
I'm all for protecting them from those things also..
But I'm not sure how you can give an animal, human rights??

I don't know either. According to a documentary I saw on TV, Spain is known for being one of the most abusive countries to animals.

I thought the article said it was not granting human rights? :confused:

manu1959
03-31-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't know either. According to a documentary I saw on TV, Spain is known for being one of the most abusive countries to animals.

ok.....where in spain is there a family of great apes?

stephanie
03-31-2007, 09:47 PM

Your right, the article states it two different ways??
But the way I read it, it is basically wanting to grant it human rights..
I could be wrong..

gabosaurus
04-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't do any good. Most Bush apologists are already citizens. :cheers2:

Fountainhead
05-05-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EyXPs2_Jk&eurl=

I thought Elvis had already settled this issue ?

Doniston
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
There's a really funny joke here...I know it...but alas..I won't say it. LOL! I think I might know that one, but it isn't a Joke exactly, it is fact (of a sort), The Constitution granted rights to the greatest of apes. Right? :rolleyes: