PDA

View Full Version : Gregg refuses nomination for Commerce Secretary

Little-Acorn
02-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Gregg was one of the few Republicans that Obama had nominated to his cabinet.

Gregg says there are "irresolvable conflicts", and that they had talked about possible conflicts before, but not enough.

I have a hunch that translates to, "I had no idea these people were going to go this far, pack so much pure big-govt crap into this bill, and so completely cut out Republicans from the process. I can see the writing on the wall for Republican advice in this administration, and I want no part of it."

At least a few people can see what's going on. Too little, too late, of course.

-----------------------------

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashgg.htm

GREGG WITHDRAWS NOMINATION FOR COMMERCE SEC
Thu Feb 12 2009 16:18:14 ET

For Immediate Release:
Thursday, February 12, 2009

Senator Gregg Statement on His Withdrawal for Consideration of U.S. Commerce Secretary

Sen. Gregg stated, “I want to thank the President for nominating me to serve in his Cabinet as Secretary of Commerce. This was a great honor, and I had felt that I could bring some views and ideas that would assist him in governing during this difficult time. I especially admire his willingness to reach across the aisle.

“However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy.

“Obviously the President requires a team that is fully supportive of all his initiatives.

“I greatly admire President Obama and know our country will benefit from his leadership, but at this time I must withdraw my name from consideration for this position.

“As we move forward, I expect there will be many issues and initiatives where I can and will work to assure the success of the President’s proposals. This will certainly be a goal of mine.

“Kathy and I also want to specifically thank Governor Lynch and Bonnie Newman for their friendship and assistance during this period. In addition we wish to thank all the people, especially in New Hampshire, who have been so kind and generous in their supportive comments.

“As a further matter of clarification, nothing about the vetting process played any role in this decision. I will continue to represent the people of New Hampshire in the United States Senate.”

Yurt
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
you know, obama does not mince words when bashing republicans...i would hope that this guy stops mincing words and says it exactly how it is...obama is a partisan hack and is solely about big government and making it bigger daily.

Little-Acorn
02-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Wasn't that long ago, shortly after 9/11, that some Arabic prince came to New York City, and handed Rudy Giuliani a check for some $10 million (if memory serves). The prince said it was to help the families stricken by the disaster, who had lost loved ones, etc., etc. Giuliani thanked him with all decorum, praised him, and accepted the check.

Then the prince made a few mentions about how terrible the 9/11 attacks were, how the Jews were responsible, and expressed a hope that the U.S. would now start thinking twice before supporting various programs to help Jewish people.

Giuliani looked at him for a moment. Then he handed the check for $10 million back to the prince, and walked out.

And now Gregg has done the same, under similar circumstances.

Yurt
02-12-2009, 05:34 PM
and good for him...just didn't need all the gushing lovey talk about obama, giuliani just said no, didn't go on about how great the prince was

DannyR
02-12-2009, 05:35 PM
So who's going to be the Cynthia McKinney in this situation and beg for the check themselves? :laugh2:

Immanuel
02-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I wonder... has he paid all his taxes? :lol:

j/k

Immie

red states rule
02-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Well now Obama can go with Bernie Madoff, despite those little 'speedbumps' he currently has, for Commerce Secretary

PostmodernProphet
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
news reports say the Census issue is also involved.....

moderate democrat
02-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Well now Obama can go with Bernie Madoff, despite those little 'speedbumps' he currently has, for Commerce Secretary

hey mods.... shouldn't tripe like this get this thread moved to the humor section?

red states rule
02-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I assume its because he didnt want to be a "pawn" so Obama could claim this cabinet of rivals

Obama is actually pulling the census away from commerce, and giving it to his Chief of Shaft, but this does give Obama the chance to appoint another Democratic lobbyist and or tax cheat to the job

Yurt
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
hey mods.... shouldn't tripe like this get this thread moved to the humor section?

stop whining

why is it so many of obama's picks have tax evasion issues...why does obama like tax cheats so much, when he is out there touting that we all need to pay our share to spread the wealth, he hired a tax cheat

your messiah seems a little crooked and it is a good thing this republican saw that and refused to work with such a crook

red states rule
02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Greg may have imagined how he would have become the fallguy for a lot of the economic issues when Obama's policies makes things much worse

Trigg
02-13-2009, 03:17 PM
stop whining

why is it so many of obama's picks have tax evasion issues...why does obama like tax cheats so much, when he is out there touting that we all need to pay our share to spread the wealth, he hired a tax cheat

your messiah seems a little crooked and it is a good thing this republican saw that and refused to work with such a crook

Obama's from Chicago, he's used to working with crooks :coffee: