PDA

View Full Version : There are lots of CTs over there..

stephanie
01-15-2007, 03:53 AM
It's a slow Sunday night, thought you might like a laugh...:lmao:

kestrel91316 (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-14-07 07:08 PM
Original message
Maybe I'm just being silly and paranoid, but..................
I got this new computer 4 months ago. I defragmented it early on, after I had installed Norton Systemworks, and at the time I thought it looked like an awful lot of my hard drive was already occupied. I just figured it was Windows XP taking up lots of space.

Fast-forward to this past week, when it became apparent my files were seriously corrupted (certain programs, including Norton, had quit running). So with the capable assistance of one nice young man named Todd in TN who works for Dell, I reformatted my hard drive. Per his instructions, I defragmented immediately after the drivers all got installed and Windows was up. To my astonishment, there is almost nothing on my hard drive. It's almost empty. Then I reinstalled Norton and a big chunk of blue appeared on the graphic, but it's only about half the size of the blue that was there before. And now that I have got all my programs reinstalled and files back in, it is OBVIOUS to me that there was something very big on my hard drive as it came from the factory, and it's gone now. The computer is running really well now, BTW.

Is it possible that software is being installed at the factory on the orders of our FASCIST government in order to monitor every single thing somebody like me does with their computer?????? Whatever was there, and is gone, was the size of Norton Systemworks. BIG program.

Anybody with any theories or input? Am I completely nuts? Now that I am up and running again, my Norton is alerting me to attempted intrusions by internet worms every few hours. It literally NEVER did so before all this. Was the big mystery program interfering with my security???? I am actually getting scared the more I think about this.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x3120909
------------------------------------------------------
onecent (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-14-07 07:17 PM
Response to Original message
3. You are not being silly OR paranoid. This administration gives
US ALL THE HEEBIE JEEBIES...I know it does me.
------------------------------------------------------------
Quakerfriend (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-14-07 07:28 PM
9. Well, I had a similar experience.
When my husband bought and set up a computer (icop) through which all of our incoming signals would have to run, we noticed that the DoD was 'visting' my computer on a daily basis.

Koinkydink, or not? I don't think so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------uinnox (1000+ posts) Sun Jan-14-07 07:57 PM
16. its possible
The government could be spying on you through your computer or through more subtle methods. Ever see any men dressed in all black lately?
----------------------------------

TheSage
01-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Stephanie, would it suprise you if this was true?

Gaffer
01-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Sounds like they had a lot of garbage installed on their system when they bought it. A lot of companies do that, installing various spyware. They bury them in cd's as well and they get installed when you install the program.

Its not government but companies doing it to get info on usage of programs and internet activity so they know where to gear their marketing. Spybot:search and destroy and spychaser are a couple of good programs that prevent these getting in and when they do searching destroying them. They are free programs.

But as usual the CT's take it to the extreme.

Dilloduck
01-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Sounds like they had a lot of garbage installed on their system when they bought it. A lot of companies do that, installing various spyware. They bury them in cd's as well and they get installed when you install the program.

Its not government but companies doing it to get info on usage of programs and internet activity so they know where to gear their marketing. Spybot:search and destroy and spychaser are a couple of good programs that prevent these getting in and when they do searching destroying them. They are free programs.

But as usual the CT's take it to the extreme.

What extreme?--You just acknowledged that corporations keep track of your activities on the net.

Gaffer
01-15-2007, 01:56 PM
What extreme?--You just acknowledged that corporations keep track of your activities on the net.

I said that certain companies will try. Taking advantage of people that have no clue. They doesn't imply a world conspiracy. It implies unscrupulous business practices.

TheSage
01-15-2007, 01:59 PM
I said that certain companies will try. Taking advantage of people that have no clue. They doesn't imply a world conspiracy. It implies unscrupulous business practices.

When will you stop being a stooge for fascism?

Gaffer
01-15-2007, 02:03 PM
When will you stop being a stooge for fascism?

:upyours:

TheSage
01-15-2007, 02:06 PM
:upyours:

:D

jackass
01-15-2007, 03:24 PM
How does that make it a conspiracy??

TheSage
01-15-2007, 03:55 PM
How does that make it a conspiracy??

Big businesses CONSPIRE with each other and with government to destroy your freedom and privacy.

jackass
01-15-2007, 04:28 PM
I wouldnt say they CONSPIRE. They do it in plain site.

TheSage
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I wouldnt say they CONSPIRE. They do it in plain site.

Conspiracies aren't necessarily secret.

Them doing it in plain sight makes all the hysterical denials here even more vexing.

jackass
01-15-2007, 04:49 PM
When most people think of conspiracies they think of secret coverups and the like. While I wouldnt consider companies keeping track of peoples web browsing a conspiracy..I sort of see your point.

Gaffer
01-15-2007, 05:02 PM
When most people think of conspiracies they think of secret coverups and the like. While I wouldnt consider companies keeping track of peoples web browsing a conspiracy..I sort of see your point.

There is a point. There are always conspiracies to make money or even aquire power, but not to the extent adolph goes on about.

TheSage
01-15-2007, 05:08 PM
There is a point. There are always conspiracies to make money or even aquire power, but not to the extent adolph goes on about.

No. It is to the extent that I go on about.

5stringJeff
01-15-2007, 05:18 PM
software companies have all kinds of agreements with PC makers. My new PC came with about five different AOL programs, which I had to delete myself. There are plenty of places online that can help show you which of these programs aren't necessary.