PDA

View Full Version : The Fairness Doctrine

GW in Ohio
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
The Fairness Doctrine was introduced in the U.S. in 1949. The doctrine remained a matter of general policy and was applied on a case-by-case basis until 1967, when certain provisions of the doctrine were incorporated into FCC regulations. The Fairness Doctrine was a policy of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that required the holders of broadcast licenses both to present controversial issues of public importance and to do so in a manner that was (in the Commission's view) honest, equitable, and balanced.

[It should not be confused, but often is, with the Equal Time rule. The Fairness Doctrine deals with matters of public importance, while the Equal Time rule deals only with political candidates.]

The United States Supreme Court upheld the Commission's general right to enforce the Fairness Doctrine where channels were limited, but the courts have not, in general, ruled that the FCC is obliged to do so. In 1987, the FCC abolished the Fairness Doctrine.

In recent days, some Democrats, reacting to what they see as right-wing domination of the radio airwaves, have called for a re-instatement of the Fairness Doctrine. Senators Debbie Stabenow of Maryland and Tom Harkin of Iowa are two who have come out in favor of it.

If you are a liberal who believes in the principle of free speech, not to mention the other basic principles on which this country was founded, you will vigorously oppose any attempt to re-introduce the Fairness Doctrine. If right wingers dominate the radio airwaves, it's because they are well funded and are better at the radio political talk format than Democrats.

red states rule
02-13-2009, 09:06 AM
In recent days, some Democrats, reacting to what they see as right-wing domination of the radio airwaves, have called for a re-instatement of the Fairness Doctrine. Senators Debbie Stabenow of Maryland and Tom Harkin of Iowa are two who have come out in favor of it.

If you are a liberal who believes in the principle of free speech, not to mention the other basic principles on which this country was founded, you will vigorously oppose any attempt to re-introduce the Fairness Doctrine. If right wingers dominate the radio airwaves, it's because they are well funded and are better at the radio political talk format than Democrats.

Your "right wingers" dominate talk radio because people CHOOSE to listen to them, they bring in better ratings, and sponsors spend their money to advertise their products on their shows

Talk radio has NPR (taxpayer funded radio) Air America, and the likes of Ed Schultz to express liberal views

Since liberals do like to hear any dissent on their views and polices, and since they can't compete in the open market - the way Democrats have decided to go is to silence those dissenting voices

red states rule
02-13-2009, 09:17 AM
GW - here are a couple of examples of liberal talk radio. It should tell you why most people decide not to listen to them

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3VGwukTG5I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a3VGwukTG5I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and

On his February 10 show, left-wing radio host Mike Malloy ranted about Republicans who voted against the Obama stimulus package, going so far as to label them as "domestic terrorists" who "want the country to fail." Malloy also attacked Rush Limbaugh in his comments and charged that Limbaugh "is a bigger threat to this country than Osama bin Laden," practically calling for his arrest.

"They're worse than useless. These are terrorists. These are domestic terrorists. They want the country to fail, for God’s sake. They want exactly what anyone who attacked this country on September 11, 2001 wanted. The real internal terrorists are the Republicans, I mean, isn't that clear? Rush Limbaugh is a bigger threat to this country than Osama bin Laden. He's a bigger threat than anybody that the CIA can invent. He's a bigger threat than any terrorist that ever leveled its sights against the United States, Limbaugh is, so why isn't he arrested and sentenced for treason?"

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/karen-hanna/2009/02/12/left-wing-radio-host-mike-malloy-republicans-are-domestic-terrorists

GW in Ohio
02-13-2009, 09:22 AM
RSR: Speaking for myself, I wouldn't listen to any political talk radio, from the left or right.

By definition, political talk radio serves a partisan purpose; it reinforces its listeners' already-held beliefs. It doesn't tell you anything new. If you're a right-winger, all it does is tell you how evil, and stupid, and mean-spirited the liberals are.

And of course, if you're a liberal, you can tune in and hear how evil, and stupid, and mean-spirited the right wingers are.

I don't have time for that kind of horsecrap.

red states rule
02-13-2009, 09:26 AM
RSR: Speaking fir myself, I wouldn't listen to any political talk radio, from the left or right.

By definition, political talk radio serves a partisan purpose; it reinforces its listeners' already-held beliefs. It doesn't tell you anything new. If you're a right-winger, all it does is tell you how evil, and stupid, and mean-spirited the liberals are.

And of course, if you're a liberal, you can tune in and hear how evil, and stupid, and mean-spirited the right wingers are.

I don't have time for that kind of horsecrap.

I am telling you why conservative talk radio works and liberal talk radio does not

This past Monday, the ONLY liberal talk station changed its format. Now in DC, Dems oputnumber Republcans 10 to 1

Yet OBAMA 1260 could not make it

Bill Press had a show that was dropped and he is now screaming for the fairness doctrine. Even though his show was a money loser for the owner, he still thinks he has a right to be on the air even though nobody wants to listen to him

red states rule
02-13-2009, 09:49 AM
One other thing GW, libs call conservative talk radio hate speech, yet Mike Malloy calls for Rush to be arrested, sentenced for treason. (I noticed he left out the trial part) And this is not hate speech?

Now Rush is a bigger threat to America then OBL?

This is the type of radio more and more elected Dems want to FORCE people to listen to

Immanuel
02-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Your "right wingers" dominate talk radio because people CHOOSE to listen to them, they bring in better ratings, and sponsors spend their money to advertise their products on their shows

If this is true, and it seems to be true to me, then why doesn't television reflect the same process?

Is it that conservatives only listen to radio and ignore television?

It would seem to me that if conservative hosts abound in the realm of the radio because people choose to listen to conservatives, that the liberal media would have been defunct before it even got started. Most of the network/cable news programs would follow the FOX line rather than FOX being the only conservative network out there among so many liberal programs.

Advertisers are going to put their money where it will do the most good. If conservatives were the viewing audience of Cable News Network and would only watch conservatives then CNN would be less liberal or {gasp} conservative even.

Immie

red states rule
02-13-2009, 11:30 AM
If this is true, and it seems to be true to me, then why doesn't television reflect the same process?

Is it that conservatives only listen to radio and ignore television?

It would seem to me that if conservative hosts abound in the realm of the radio because people choose to listen to conservatives, that the liberal media would have been defunct before it even got started. Most of the network/cable news programs would follow the FOX line rather than FOX being the only conservative network out there among so many liberal programs.

Advertisers are going to put their money where it will do the most good. If conservatives were the viewing audience of Cable News Network and would only watch conservatives then CNN would be less liberal or {gasp} conservative even.

Immie

Liberals have had a death grip on TV since I was in high school. Polls and survey have shown over and over, a huge majority of "reporters" are liberal - and those "reporters" give most of their money to Democrats

That is why Fox news is so successful. They give both sides besides the glowing and favorable coverage the Dems get on the networks and other cable news networks

And you will note, Dems have no desire to apply the Fairness Doctrine to TV and other forms of media. They already own them so they are happy with the slanted coverage

Yurt
02-13-2009, 12:29 PM
using moderate democrat logic, since most people find liberal radio offensive, we should ban it

:dance:

Kathianne
02-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Good post! Quite correct and consistent for anyone that says they care about free speech. Glad you posted and glad to rep ya!

red states rule
02-13-2009, 12:31 PM
using moderate democrat logic, since most people find liberal radio offensive, we should ban it

:dance:

The free market is doing just that - and that is why Dems want the government to step in

In DC, if OBAMA 1260 would have had Rush on between 12 - 3, perhaps they would still have the rest of the liberal lineup on the air

Hobbit
02-13-2009, 12:34 PM
There's also this bit of niceness:

Radio is easier to listen to for people who work. If you're at an office working, you're not getting anything done if you're watching TV, so lots of people listen to the radio when they're at work. The kind of people who tend to vote Republican most of the time, white collar workers, truck drivers, businessmen, etc. can listen to the radio and get their work done, thus, conservative talk radio succeeds.

On the other hand, the majority of the people who always tend to vote Democrat, those being college students, lower class workers, actors, etc. don't have much of a time during the day when they can listen to radio, but can't watch TV, and if they can, they're typically more interested in sports and music than politics.

red states rule
02-13-2009, 12:38 PM
If you want to have a lib radio show, you can. In fact, you even have publicly funded NPR to get all the left leaning radio you could want.

And you can use Al Gore's Amazing internet. and get even more liberal shows

emmett
02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I invented the internet!

actsnoblemartin
02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
repped him as well, for his insight

Good post! Quite correct and consistent for anyone that says they care about free speech. Glad you posted and glad to rep ya!

red states rule
02-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Whatever happened to Air America and Al Franken?

If you get p.o.'d about anything that Rush says tune to another station

Or better yet turn off the radio and turn on MSNBC

Kathianne
02-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Whatever happened to Air America and Al Franken?

If you get p.o.'d about anything that Rush says tune to another station

Or better yet turn off the radio and turn on MSNBC

You are responding to an op multiple times, that basically agrees with you!

Yurt
02-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I invented the internet!

no way jose, i did! and its internets :poke:

GW in Ohio
02-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Thank you. And may I say I love the new header displays on this site (American Heroes: Then and Now, etc.)?

Great job with that.

Kathianne
02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Thank you. And may I say I love the new header displays on this site (American Heroes: Then and Now, etc.)?

Great job with that.

That's all Jimnyc! Our owner and poster extraordinaire.

5stringJeff
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM

I would say, instead, "If you believe in the principle of free speech," etc. Not all who believe in civil liberties are liberals. But otherwise, bravo!