PDA

View Full Version : Founder of Network Promoting Positive Muslim Image Arrested For Beheading Wife

red states rule
02-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Let's hear it for multiculturism, and the religion of peace

Buffalo Man Who Launched TV Network to Show Muslims in Positive Light Arrested -- for Beheading His Wife

By Greg Mitchell

Published: February 13, 2009 2:20 PM ET

NEW YORK A prominent Buffalo area businessman who founded the BridgesTV network to improve the image of Muslims in the U.S. has been arrested and charged with murdering his estranged wife – by beheading her at his company’s office in Orchard Park, N.Y., on Thursday.

Police have charged the husband, Muzzammil Hassan, 44, with second-degree murder in the death of Aasiya Z. Hassan, 37.

In its logo, BridgesTV boasts of “connecting people through understanding” via its dish network available in several states. Its Web site quotes comments about the company by Jay Leno, Brian Williams and others, plus a screen shot of a CNBC interview with Hassan conducted by Maria Bartiromo.

The site also shows a picture of Hassan with his slain wife, described as playing “an instrumental role in the creation of Bridges TV since she came up with the idea for the network.” The alleged killer is called “Mo S. Hassan” at the web site.

NPR's "All Things Considered" profiled the Hassans in 2004. The segment opened, "A new cable network for Muslim-Americans is up and running in Detroit. Bridges TV says it wants to inform and entertain Muslims and, at the same time, give viewers who aren't Muslims a glimpse into their culture ...

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003941612

Yurt
02-14-2009, 07:48 PM
the irony would be funny if not such a tragic event

DannyR
02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
You mean beheading your wife isn't something we should all aspire to? Take my wife please!

Noir
02-14-2009, 08:27 PM
You mean beheading your wife isn't something we should all aspire to? Take my wife please!

Exactly, Islam is the religion of peace...his wife never gave him any peace (typical woman) and she felt Islams wrath :p

But on a more serious note, If there be any justice in the universe this guy will end up scooping shit in hell for eternity.

Immanuel
02-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Wait a minute!

How does a man accused of beheading his wife get charged with second degree murder? Surely, this was not a spur of the moment attack. Why wasn't he charged with first degree murder?

Immie

DannyR
02-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Article doesn't say, but the murder did happen at his office. Doesn't sound like he sought her out, and it does say she had a restraining order against him.

My guess is she showed up unexpectedly, and he killed her in anger then. That would qualify as 2nd degree murder.

Unless of course we find he decided to set up a camera crew and a couple buddies to air the thing on his network afterward. :eek:

Immanuel
02-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Article doesn't say, but the murder did happen at his office. Doesn't sound like he sought her out, and it does say she had a restraining order against him.

My guess is she showed up unexpectedly, and he killed her in anger then. That would qualify as 2nd degree murder.

Unless of course we find he decided to set up a camera crew and a couple buddies to air the thing on his network afterward. :eek:

You still don't just cut someone's head off on the spur of the moment. That takes some planning unless of course he used a sword and swung hap-hazardously and beheaded her that way. I suppose, that I'm thinking a Nick Berg type of beheading instead of the possibility this was done with the swing of a sword and not actually an execution type murder.

Immie

DannyR
02-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I suppose, that I'm thinking a Nick Berg type of beheading instead of the possibility this was done with the swing of a sword and not actually an execution type murder.Comments get a bit gruesome, so I've changed the font color to white to hide them. (no spoiler tag?)I don't want to go back and rewatch it, but my memory of the Berg execution was that it really didn't take all that long to actually do it, just a second or two. I can see this happening if he grabbed his scimitar hanging over his desk and tried cutting her throat from behind in anger as she left, with the weight of her body finishing it. How easy it would be is largely determined by how sharp the blade is.

I've obviously no experience in human bodies, but back when I was a boy and my parents raised rabbits for food I don't recall it taking all that much force to cut off a head.

Immanuel
02-14-2009, 09:26 PM
In white also.

Didn't take all that long? Tell that to Nick Berg. I'm sure for him it seemed like an eternity.

DannyR
02-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Probably true Immanuel. :(

Yurt
02-14-2009, 10:25 PM
You still don't just cut someone's head off on the spur of the moment. That takes some planning unless of course he used a sword and swung hap-hazardously and beheaded her that way. I suppose, that I'm thinking a Nick Berg type of beheading instead of the possibility this was done with the swing of a sword and not actually an execution type murder.

Immie

second degree murder in CA can be a crime of passion. to get first, you need "premeditation"....a few seconds of...i will kill this person, is not premed. usually you need planning, not just rage where you "premed" that i hate you and will kill you because i'm pissed.

planning gives it the cold blooded part....

Immanuel
02-15-2009, 11:29 AM
second degree murder in CA can be a crime of passion. to get first, you need "premeditation"....a few seconds of...i will kill this person, is not premed. usually you need planning, not just rage where you "premed" that i hate you and will kill you because i'm pissed.

planning gives it the cold blooded part....

Thanks for the info. Obviously, I don't know anything at all about this case, but I find it hard to believe that someone can just grab someone else by the hair of the head and start sawing away. It has to take some kind of thought process to accomplish this.

Immie

emmett
02-15-2009, 12:34 PM
When was the last time someone from another religion beheaded their wife?

Hmmmm!

This seems to be a pretty popular thing with MUSLIMS! Oops! Politically Incorrect!

red states rule
02-16-2009, 06:05 AM
When was the last time someone from another religion beheaded their wife?

Hmmmm!

This seems to be a pretty popular thing with MUSLIMS! Oops! Politically Incorrect!

It's sad when political correctness prevents people from stating obvious observations, such as Islam is NOT a religion of peace.

Either liberals are blind, delusional, or are just hopeful, but this is a valid observation. Valid observations should not be censored due to political correctness.

DannyR
02-16-2009, 09:39 AM
It's sad when political correctness prevents people from stating obvious observations, such as Islam is NOT a religion of peace.Its just as much a religion of peace as most other religions out there.

Only difference is that most of the nations where Islam is dominant are still 3rd world nations where poverty and ignorance are prevalent. When most Christian nations lived in similar circumstances, they were just as violent.

red states rule
02-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Its just as much a religion of peace as most other religions out there.

Only difference is that most of the nations where Islam is dominant are still 3rd world nations where poverty and ignorance are prevalent. When most Christian nations lived in similar circumstances, they were just as violent.

Yes we all know that there are evil people of every faith. The point is not whether or not a person does bad, but is the bad they have done supported by their religion/beliefs or did they break the laws/rules?

Please provide us with the chapter/verse of the New Testament that tells anyone to do any physical harm to another.

DannyR
02-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Yes we all know that there are evil people of every faith. The point is not whether or not a person does bad, but is the bad they have done supported by their religion/beliefs or did they break the laws/rules?

ding ding ding. We have a winner. Most of the fanatics in Islam are likewise picking and choosing what verses they use and breaking other commandments.

And almost every single verse condoning violence in the Koran does so in response to violence against them first. Simple self defense, vs turn the other cheek. A sentiment most Americans actually prefer.

Please provide us with the chapter/verse of the New Testament that tells anyone to do any physical harm to another.

Hehe... noticed you avoided the Old Testament. As for the New Testament, the book of Revelation promises quite a bit of forthcoming violence against non-believers, with pretty much most of the earth's population soon to be wiped out by armies lead by the Lord's angels. So sure, its a book of peace. It just argues Christians abide their time before doing the smiting.

red states rule
02-16-2009, 10:11 AM
ding ding ding. We have a winner. Most of the fanatics in Islam are likewise picking and choosing what verses they use and breaking other commandments.

And almost every single verse condoning violence in the Koran does so in response to violence against them first. Simple self defense, vs turn the other cheek. A sentiment most Americans actually prefer.

Hehe... noticed you avoided the Old Testament. As for the New Testament, the book of Revelation promises quite a bit of forthcoming violence against non-believers, with pretty much most of the earth's population soon to be wiped out by armies lead by the Lord's angels. So sure, its a book of peace. It just argues Christians abide their time before doing the smiting.

It's sad when political correctness prevents people from stating obvious observations, such as Islam is NOT a religion of peace. Either liberals are blind, delusional, or are just hopeful, but this is a valid observation.

If only we tried to understand them and their culture

If only we would sit down with them and discuss our differences.

If only we would try peace not bombs

Then they would love us and throw rose petals at our feet

DannyR
02-16-2009, 10:19 AM
If only we would try peace not bombs

Then they would love us and throw rose petals at our feetBunch of nonsense.

Saying Islam isn't a religion of peace just recognizes that like most religions out there, its got its good and bad points.

That doesn't mean you treat your enemies as if they are just misunderstood kids.

Purposely antagonizing all Muslims with such a stance only creates more enemies where we don't already have them. Last I checked, we've got some pretty good allies in the Middle East who are willing to work with us.

red states rule
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Bunch of nonsense.

Saying Islam isn't a religion of peace just recognizes that like most religions out there, its got its good and bad points.

That doesn't mean you treat your enemies as if they are just misunderstood kids.

Purposely antagonizing all Muslims with such a stance only creates more enemies where we don't already have them. Last I checked, we've got some pretty good allies in the Middle East who are willing to work with us.

Can anyone tell me how many Christians. Buddhists or Jewish suicide bombers have killed innocent people and how many people they have killed?

Islam is a blast DannyR

DannyR
02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Can anyone tell me how many Christians. Buddhists or Jewish suicide bombers have killed innocent people and how many people they have killed?

So the person who kills the most wins, eh? What happened to your statement that bad people did bad things and broke the rules?

red states rule
02-17-2009, 06:41 AM
So the person who kills the most wins, eh? What happened to your statement that bad people did bad things and broke the rules?

Beheadings? They are just misunderstood

moderate democrat
02-17-2009, 06:50 AM

Tim McVeigh comes to mind... although he was to cowardly too actually put himself in the moment. Right wing American Christian, wasn't he?

red states rule
02-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Tim McVeigh comes to mind... although he was to cowardly too actually put himself in the moment. Right wing American Christian, wasn't he?

He was a nut along with Obama's buddy Ayers

But since Ayers is a liberal, he his held in high esteem by the Obamabots

moderate democrat
02-17-2009, 06:54 AM
He was a nut along with Obama's buddy Ayers

But since Ayers is a liberal, he his held in high esteem by the Obamabots

you asked a question...I responded.

red states rule
02-17-2009, 06:56 AM
you asked a question...I responded.

and libs like you have shown their respect for Ayers, and provided cover for Obama

moderate democrat
02-17-2009, 07:29 AM
and libs like you have shown their respect for Ayers, and provided cover for Obama

I have never shown any respect for Ayers whatsoever. I merely pointed out that non-muslims do use terror as a tactic. Wouldn't you agree with that?

red states rule
02-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I have never shown any respect for Ayers whatsoever. I merely pointed out that non-muslims do use terror as a tactic. Wouldn't you agree with that?

You once posted how Ayers is a distinguished professor

moderate democrat
02-17-2009, 08:00 AM
You once posted how Ayers is a distinguished professor

never. not me.

quit dodging my question

red states rule
02-17-2009, 08:01 AM
never. not me

Oh please, spare me - and the rest of us. Your cover was blown along time ago Virgil (i.e manfrommaine and retiredman)

moderate democrat
02-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Oh please, spare me - and the rest of us. Your cover was blown along time ago Virgil (i.e manfrommaine and retiredman)

you are wrong. I am not that man... now quit dodging my question. I merely pointed out that non-muslims do use terror as a tactic. Wouldn't you agree with that?

red states rule
02-17-2009, 08:07 AM
you are wrong. I am not that man... now quit dodging my question. I merely pointed out that non-muslims do use terror as a tactic. Wouldn't you agree with that?

I am right abput whio you are and how you defended Ayers and Obama's friendship with a terrorist

Not all Muslims are terrorists - but most terrorists are Muslims

moderate democrat
02-17-2009, 08:08 AM
I am right abput whio you are and how you defended Ayers and Obama's friendship with a terrorist

but you admit that there are non-muslim terrorists? thank you Elmer.

red states rule
02-17-2009, 08:08 AM

I am right about who you are and how you defended Ayers and Obama's friendship with a terrorist

crin63
02-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Its just as much a religion of peace as most other religions out there.

Which Christian nations were just as violent as Islam?

red states rule
02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Which Christian nations were just as violent as Islam?

Just another normal day in the life of the peaceful religion of Islam.

I guess they would say she had it coming

In the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Sharia Law (Islamic Law) is supreme, the punishment for many crimes is death, the method is beheading

crin63
02-17-2009, 10:59 AM
She must have walked in front of him while he was praying or maybe she just said, "no" to another beating. Its hard to tell which crime she committed against her husband.

DannyR
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Tim McVeigh comes to mind... although he was to cowardly too actually put himself in the moment. Right wing American Christian, wasn't he?I believe he actually was an agnostic. Oklahoma City bombings were done as a government protest, not a religious one.

Eric Rudolph is the most recent right wing Christian terrorist.

Other recent Christian problems were in the former Yugoslavia. Milosovic was Christian killing the Muslims. But this was not just about religion, but ethnic clensing.

The majority of Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka are Buddhist. These are the guys who perfected the suicide bomb, and taught the palestinians how to do it. They may even still have the record on # of suicide bombings.

Worst genocides are still probably the various communist ones, and Pol Pot. So us atheists have you all beat when it comes to massive slaughter!

Which Christian nations were just as violent as Islam?Studied any history? ALL of them. Violence is the norm of the past. Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, multiple pogroms, unification of Great Britain, wars in Ireland all had major religious components where good Christians had no qualms slaughtering, raping or kicking out the heathens or heretics. Face it, Islam has probably less violence in its name throughout history, because its the youngest of the religions in the area. Constantine pretty much started the idea of Christian crusades when he invaded Persia, a few hundred years before Islam even existed.

DannyR
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
In the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Sharia Law (Islamic Law) is supreme, the punishment for many crimes is death, the method is beheadingAgain, I maintain this is mostly due to the extreme poverty and low literacy such nations have. (yes, Saudi princes are rich, but as a whole the people are still poor and uneducated, and thus easily manipulated by religious leaders). Their culture is not all that different than any other culture in the past at a similar developmental stage. It wasn't all that long ago we were bobbing witches to see if they floated. I think I'd have preferred being beheaded myself. Much faster.

And for all your complaints about Middle eastern violence, I often hear conservatives wish our own culture could move to be more like theirs when it comes to prosecuting people. How many times have I read how much many conservatives wish we could execute people faster. And generally crime (not counting terrorism or warfare) is much lower in the middle east. A man is less likely to steal your belongings knowing his hand is going to be chopped off rather than just spend a few months in jail.

crin63
02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I believe he actually was an agnostic. Oklahoma City bombings were done as a government protest, not a religious one.

Eric Rudolph is the most recent right wing Christian terrorist.

Other recent Christian problems were in the former Yugoslavia. Milosovic was Christian killing the Muslims. But this was not just about religion, but ethnic clensing.

The majority of Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka are Buddhist. These are the guys who perfected the suicide bomb, and taught the palestinians how to do it. They may even still have the record on # of suicide bombings.

Worst genocides are still probably the various communist ones, and Pol Pot. So us atheists have you all beat when it comes to massive slaughter!

Studied any history? ALL of them. Violence is the norm of the past. Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, multiple pogroms, unification of Great Britain, wars in Ireland all had major religious components where good Christians had no qualms slaughtering, raping or kicking out the heathens or heretics. Face it, Islam has probably less violence in its name throughout history, because its the youngest of the religions in the area. Constantine pretty much started the idea of Christian crusades when he invaded Persia, a few hundred years before Islam even existed.

You mean Catholicism and all its various offshoots which are/were the orthodox national religions. Sorry I never think of Catholics as Christians.

DannyR
02-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Sorry I never think of Catholics as Christians.That ok, they probably call you a heretic. ;)

red states rule
02-18-2009, 07:49 AM
That ok, they probably call you a heretic. ;)

The entire point of this thread is the guy who wanted break down muslim stereotypes, cut his wife's head off.

Tells you alot about him, his project, and the religion of peace

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 07:56 AM
and others have made equally valid points that it is wrong to imply that islam is the only religion that produces violence

red states rule
02-18-2009, 07:58 AM
and others have made equally valid points that it is wrong to imply that islam is the only religion that produces violence

I have always said Islam is a blast and will blow you away

emmett
02-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Ah............. what about the Salem witches. They were burned at the stake in the name of .............. GOD!

I had to say that!

red states rule
02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
Ah............. what about the Salem witches. They were burned at the stake in the name of .............. GOD!

I had to say that!

Now they are beheaded, or stoned ito death in the name of Allah

DannyR
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Ah............. what about the Salem witches. They were burned at the stake in the name of .............. GOD!Actually they were mostly hanged, several died in jail possibly due to torture (dunking, etc), and one was crushed under heavy stones. Burning was sooooo old school.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/salem/ASAL_DE.HTM

emmett
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Ah.... indeed, right you are!

Silver
02-20-2009, 12:23 PM

We never say never or only or all, etc.
but..............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTGbP55HGi8

--------------------------------------------------------