PDA

View Full Version : Do you Love or Hate Valentin's Day?

Mr. P
02-14-2009, 01:09 PM
I see it as a yearly opportunity for the floral folks to rape men on the price of flowers and the candy companies to sell gobs of chocolate, the greeting card companies to clean-up, let's not even talk about the jewelry companies.

Pressure on men to "perform" some obscure duty one day outta the year at unreasonable expense and "if" they fail they ain't gettin any tonight.

Hey what's ONE night?

GAWD help you though IF you just forget, I promise you won't next year...you pussy men! She has claws and never forgets! Your life will be hell for the next year. She will remind you forever too.

It's time to STAND-UP to this abuse guys!

*I'll be back in a few days* :laugh2:

Classact
02-14-2009, 01:31 PM
My wife and I have a deal, I tell her I love you about twenty times a day and she does the same and on Valentines day I tell her I love you and happy Valentines day and leave it at that. One of her girlfriend coworkers gave her some candy and she shared it with me and the boys.

Mr. P
02-14-2009, 01:51 PM
My wife and I have a deal, I tell her I love you about twenty times a day and she does the same and on Valentines day I tell her I love you and happy Valentines day and leave it at that. One of her girlfriend coworkers gave her some candy and she shared it with me and the boys.

Works for me! :thumb:

Trigg
02-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Valentines day is a ridiculous "holiday". It's a way for the card companies and jewelry stores to make a little more money if Christmas was slow.

My husband loves me and I don't need him to give me expensive gifts to prove it.

I do like the candy hearts though :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
02-14-2009, 02:23 PM
valentines day is a bullshit holiday.

I love my princess/baby everyday.

so everyday is valentines day

therefore suck it holiday card/candy companies :beer:

p.s. I like vermont teddy bear though, just too precious

Noir
02-14-2009, 02:58 PM
I hate it, but what can ya do but conform? Atleast it'll be gone for another year soon.

actsnoblemartin
02-14-2009, 02:59 PM
well i dont want kids and 90% of women do, maybe i should just conform

conformity is not an option

I hate it, but what can ya do but conform? Atleast it'll be gone for another year soon.

jackass
02-14-2009, 04:00 PM
I buy the card and flowers. We dont go crazy though. A 14.99 bouquet of flowers from Costco is enough.

jimnyc
02-14-2009, 06:11 PM
For Valentines, I told my wife that I got her a present, well, that I had it all along, and that just today I was going to GIVE it to her.

That was the end of the conversation until next year.

Mr. P
02-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Interesting that only ONE female has posted...Very telling guys.:laugh2:

Noir
02-14-2009, 07:30 PM
well i dont want kids and 90% of women do, maybe i should just conform

conformity is not an option

Well for big issues such if you ever want to have children, or get married, or to wait till you are married to have sex ect ect then conformity may be forgone for strong moral beliefs ect. But if you don't by a girl some flowers she'll prob just think you're being cheap, no matter how you try and justify it, so confiomity may not be disireable, or cheap, but it does give us a break from the nag of the woman.

manu1959
02-14-2009, 07:43 PM
hug a kiss and an i love you......same as every other day.....

DragonStryk72
02-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Wow, apparently I'm the odd one here, in that I love Valentine's Day. To be honest, I don't even spend much of anything, maybe a really cute teddy bear or something if I come across one.

I'm actually much more apt to make something for my girlfriend than I am to go out and buy something. If I do get chocolate, I don't make it the focal point, more of an addendum. I think too many guys fall into the trap that the only possible way to show special love for a woman is with jewelry, and that's just a lack of imagination.

Okay, let's take today for instance, we woke up this morning and had a special brunch at IHOP, or at least we would have, had there not been an hour wait (Ah, VA. lives at IHOP), so instead, my girlfriend decides we should go to Hooters. After that, we went to a movie together, and she left for work (She's a cook for Texas Roadhouse), so when she got home, I lit all the candles around the house, and presented her with a few gifts: A woven bracelet with our initials (I actually wove it myself), and a really good back and leg rub (having been on her feet all night on VDay, I figured she would need it). All in all, not expensive, and not even anything incredibly difficult to do (the bracelet's just tedious to make, not difficult), but then, that's not really what it's about, then.

gabosaurus
02-15-2009, 03:49 PM
I think it is a pathetic excuse to market overpriced items and jack the price up on normal occasions. I have known my husband for nine years. We have never observed it and never will.
If you love someone, you should show it every day of the year.

Kathianne
02-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I liked it when young and dating. When I was married, made a special dinner and exchanged cards. I really think it's more important what happens on non-holidays and shared values.

Oh if bothering with flowers, send them to her work. I did that for a guy I was dating, not on Valentine's, big hit there too.

Abbey Marie
02-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Okay, I'm a girly, and I'll contribute to the thread.

We always buy cards and usually go out to dinner, even after all these years. Thi syear we didn't becasue we had to take care of my MIL. That's ok too. Some years I get roses. This was a roses year. Also, chocolate-covered strawberries, which I love. I bought him some nice things as well.

I look at it as a day that encourages you to focus on your relationship. People often don't really do that as much as we should, because of the busy-ness of our lives. That doesn't mean that we don't do nice things the rest of the year. Why should these things be mutually exclusive?

I also like our daughter to see us being romantic as a good example for her life. She likes it, and her friends often say we are "cute together". That means a lot to me coming from kids in their late teens.

Kathianne
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Okay, I'm a girly, and I'll contribute to the thread.

We always buy cards and usually go out to dinner, even after all these years. Thi syear we didn't becasue we had to take care of my MIL. That's ok too. Some years I get roses. This was a roses year. Also, chocolate-covered strawberries, which I love. I bought him some nice things as well.

I look at it as a day that encourages you to focus on your relationship. People often don't really do that as much as we should, because of the busy-ness of our lives. That doesn't mean that we don't do nice things the rest of the year. Why should these things be mutually exclusive?

I also like our daughter to see us being romantic as a good example for her life. She likes it, and her friends often say we are "cute together". That means a lot to me coming from kids in their late teens.

Abbey, I've got to agree with you as a daughter, not an adult. I remember my dad going out of his way to do special things for my mom. I noticed when that was missing. I want my daughter to have those things, as well as my sons knowing to give and receive in response. I was big on making little things special, was hurt when not returned. We need those things-both men and women. When they are missing, well it's an indicator that things are amiss.

Abbey Marie
02-15-2009, 11:37 PM
So true, Kath.

Jeff
02-16-2009, 12:30 AM
I feel like it is a high school holiday, for kids , or young adults dating.

But on the other hand the wife and I usally use it as a excuse to get away from the kids, ever Valentine's day since we have been together we take a long weekend , get a baby sitter and go to Gatlinburg, we rent a cabin and enjoy each other just as we did when we were dating, so I guess I like it preety good.

Only problem is it is also the weekend of the 500 ,lol, so at least part of it she watches me watching the race and I am sure she is trying to figure out why she married me. lol

5stringJeff
02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
But on the other hand the wife and I usally use it as a excuse to get away from the kids,

That's what I used V day as this year - a way to get away from the kids for a few hours!

(And the date was fun, too.)