PDA

View Full Version : Historians rate best, worse U.S. presidents

gabosaurus
02-15-2009, 03:32 PM
WASHINGTON — Just days after the nation honored the 200th anniversary of his birth, 65 historians ranked Abraham Lincoln as the nation's best president.

Former President George W. Bush, who left office last month, was ranked 36th out of the 42 men who had been chief executive by the end of 2008, according to a survey conducted by the cable channel C-SPAN.

Bush scored lowest in international relations, where he was ranked 41st, and in economic management, where he was ranked 40th. His highest ranking, 24th, was in the category of pursuing equal justice for all. He was ranked 25th in crisis leadership and vision and agenda setting.

After Lincoln, the academics rated George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt and Harry Truman as the best leaders overall. The same five received top spots in the 2000 survey, although Washington and Franklin D. Roosevelt swapped spots this year.

Rated worst overall were James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, William Henry Harrison and Warren G. Harding.

Yurt
02-15-2009, 03:56 PM
still obsessing about bush

crin63
02-15-2009, 05:13 PM
More Liberal nonsense.

Silver
02-15-2009, 05:41 PM
I can't believe that Obama didn't beat out likes of Lincoln, George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt....Where did they find academics in the US that would deny the Messiah his rightful place among the Presidents...and not rate Bush 1 and 2 along with Reagan and Ike among the worst of the worst... this must have been a bogus contest...:poke::beer::poke:

Kathianne
02-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I can't believe that Obama didn't beat out likes of Lincoln, George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt....Where did they find academics in the US that would deny the Messiah his rightful place among the Presidents...and not rate Bush 1 and 2 along with Reagan and Ike among the worst of the worst... this must have been a bogus contest...:poke::beer::poke:

I think it way too early for 'historians' to be judging presidents over the past 50 years or so, but that's just me. I'm surprised, however flawed, that they rated GW so high regarding justice. I mean with 'Gitmo' and all.

DannyR
02-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Seems like a fair enough rating to me with the exception of FDR, who pretty much started the policy of carrying a national debt and entitlement programs.

Of course his debt was rather small through the years and relatively flat until the 1980's, when it began to skyrocket. And FDR's original entitlement program payments were not nearly as massive as they've grown over the years. Not certain one can blame him for the excesses added by others.

5stringJeff
02-17-2009, 05:17 PM
How can Lincoln trample the Constitution and civil rights and be rated #1, while Bush did the same thing and is rated #36??

Nukeman
02-17-2009, 06:09 PM
how can lincoln trample the constitution and civil rights and be rated #1, while bush did the same thing and is rated #36??

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathianne
02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
How can Lincoln trample the Constitution and civil rights and be rated #1, while Bush did the same thing and is rated #36??

They 'like Lincoln', now?

5stringJeff
02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
They 'like Lincoln', now?

Obama likes Lincoln. Idolizes him, even. Knowing how Lincoln viewed things like "rights" and "the Constitution," I'm extremely worried.

Kathianne
02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Obama likes Lincoln. Idolizes him, even. Knowing how Lincoln viewed things like "rights" and "the Constitution," I'm extremely worried.

But does he really, Jeff?

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/02/022852.php

Serving as America's forty-fourth president, Barack Obama has the singular honor of celebrating the bicenennial birthday of America's greatest president. Obama's bicentennial celebration of Lincoln fits into a motif of Lincolnian reference. Obama has frequently invoked Lincoln. Indeed, he has ostentatiously imitated him, taking Lincoln's route to Washington prior to the inauguration and swearing the oath of office on Lincoln's Bible.

But what does Obama think of Lincoln? The question is surprisingly difficult to answer.

On Thursday Obama gave remarks on Lincoln's bicentennial in the Capitol rotunda. Michael Ruane and David Betancourt covered the event in the Washington Post. Obama struck an uncharacateristically humble note at the opening of his remarks, confessing that he "cannot claim to know as much about his life and works as many of those who are also speaking today."

This note of humility was quickly transformed into a personal tribute expressing a "special gratitude to this singular figure who in so many ways made my own story possible." The medieval scholastics characterized themselves as dwarves standing on the shoulders of giants; they could see more and farther than they, not through any virtue of their own, but rather "because they were carried high and raised up by their giant size." Obama omits any such self-assessment in his tribute to Lincoln, but one wonders: Does Obama think Lincoln great because he made Obama possible?

Obama's brief bicentennial remarks lack any reference to Lincoln's thought or works. Obama refers to Lincoln's approval during the Civil War of continued work on the Capitol dome. At the heart of his remarks Obama asserts:

The American people needed to be reminded, he believed, that even in a time of war, the work would go on; that even when the nation itself was in doubt, its future was being secured; and that on that distant day, when the guns fell silent, a national capitol would stand, with a statue of freedom at its peak, as a symbol of unity in a land still mending its divisions.

It is this sense of unity, this ability to plan for a shared future even at a moment our nation was torn apart, that I reflect on today.

So Obama credits Lincoln with the ability to plan for a collective future. How does this distinguish Lincoln from any leader (democratic or not) with a plan (sound or not)? Well, Obama explains, even in the midst of war Lincoln was a merciful man. But what idea of America drove Lincoln? Nothing in Obama's remarks provides the hint of an answer.....

5stringJeff
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
But does he really, Jeff?

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/02/022852.php

Interesting take.

glockmail
02-18-2009, 08:42 PM
WASHINGTON — Just days after the nation honored the 200th anniversary of his birth, 65 historians ranked Abraham Lincoln as the nation's best president.

Former President George W. Bush, who left office last month, was ranked 36th out of the 42 men who had been chief executive by the end of 2008, according to a survey conducted by the cable channel C-SPAN.

Bush scored lowest in international relations, where he was ranked 41st, and in economic management, where he was ranked 40th. His highest ranking, 24th, was in the category of pursuing equal justice for all. He was ranked 25th in crisis leadership and vision and agenda setting.

After Lincoln, the academics rated George Washington, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt and Harry Truman as the best leaders overall. The same five received top spots in the 2000 survey, although Washington and Franklin D. Roosevelt swapped spots this year.

Rated worst overall were James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, William Henry Harrison and Warren G. Harding.

There's no source to this bilge. :slap: