PDA

View Full Version : Prescriptions

jimnyc
02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
The date of getting my prescriptions filled is a little wacky due to seeing my doctor one day late last year 2 weeks ahead of schedule (holidays). This left me with a few prescriptions written before I actually needed them. I had a prescription dated 1/17 of this year for xanax. I went to CVS on 2/13 (Friday) and they said that my insurance won't accept it as I filled the same prescription last month on 1/20. Even though they know I get it filled monthly, they won't double up.

So I go back today and now they tell me that my prescription is useless as it's dated 1/17 and after 30 days they will no longer fill a narcotic script! According to my calculations, today makes the 30th day and I was there early, but they refused.

Now I have a newer script, and am in no danger of running out of meds, but that means I paid $125 cash to see my doctor in January, just to write my prescription, which is now invalid.

LiberalNation
02-16-2009, 07:21 PM
pharmacy are always hard to deal with. It's even more frustrating when they give you insurance trouble, then you just have to pay the thing in full or not get it for several days when you need it now.

I'm glad I am no longer on any prescription meds.

jimnyc
02-16-2009, 07:27 PM
pharmacy are always hard to deal with. It's even more frustrating when they give you insurance trouble, then you just have to pay the thing in full or not get it for several days when you need it now.

I'm glad I am no longer on any prescription meds.

If I had paid cash I could have filled the script on Friday. I wait a few days as they requested and now the script is invalid. I guess it's my job to schedule when they drop them off but it would have been nice of them to tell me it was about to expire.

It's all a big racket between the doctors, the pharmacists and the pharmaceutical companies, IMO. He can't write me a script for say 6-12 months, NO, I have to see him monthly or he cannot legally write it. So I have to pay for the visit and then the co-pay on all the meds (he's out of network so I must pay him cash).

This is a fact - it's easier and less expensive to get hard street drugs than it is for the legal meds from a doctor!

Jeff
02-16-2009, 09:16 PM
The date of getting my prescriptions filled is a little wacky due to seeing my doctor one day late last year 2 weeks ahead of schedule (holidays). This left me with a few prescriptions written before I actually needed them. I had a prescription dated 1/17 of this year for xanax. I went to CVS on 2/13 (Friday) and they said that my insurance won't accept it as I filled the same prescription last month on 1/20. Even though they know I get it filled monthly, they won't double up.

So I go back today and now they tell me that my prescription is useless as it's dated 1/17 and after 30 days they will no longer fill a narcotic script! According to my calculations, today makes the 30th day and I was there early, but they refused.

Now I have a newer script, and am in no danger of running out of meds, but that means I paid $125 cash to see my doctor in January, just to write my prescription, which is now invalid.

Jim all my meds are written 3 months out , I can only pick up a 1 month supply at a time, but I have been told by Doctor's both in SC and GA the fedral law is they must see you ever 3 months when you are on any type of narcotic . but they can write a 3 month supply , so your 1/17 prescripton should still of been good .

jimnyc
02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Jim all my meds are written 3 months out , I can only pick up a 1 month supply at a time, but I have been told by Doctor's both in SC and GA the fedral law is they must see you ever 3 months when you are on any type of narcotic . but they can write a 3 month supply , so your 1/17 prescripton should still of been good .

Unfortunately, I looked up NY law and it does state that narcotic scripts are dead in the water after 30 days, whereas regular scripts can be up to 6 months. But you are correct that federal law states a patient must be seen every 90 days in order to continue writing such scripts. My doctor gives me 2 refills on all my meds except for the xanax.

gabosaurus
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I get my multitude of prescriptions filled at Target. They fill refills automatically when the other is set to run out. If you have 30 count of pills, they fill it automatically after 25 days. You should check that out.
Federal law states that you must see a doctor to obtain any new prescriptions. This applies to pets as well as humans.