PDA

View Full Version : Ban of war coffin photos may be lifted

gabosaurus
02-17-2009, 12:34 PM
It makes sense. No sense denying that people die in wars.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-dover17-2009feb17,0,3885139.story

Nukeman
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
It makes sense. No sense denying that people die in wars.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-dover17-2009feb17,0,3885139.story

Gabby its not a matter of "denying" that people die in war, it is a repect issue. Would YOU want a picture of YOUR loved ones all over the news if for no other reason than ratings??? Maybe we should have a photgrapher for EVERY newspaper out there just taking photos at funerals, that way we can see what kind of casket everyone is being buried in, or what type of urn was purchased to store their ashes in. Hell if it's open casket maybe we can even get a good look at the corpse.... Just make a new section in the newspaper next to the obituaries would that make you happy????

Why do WE need to see a coffin draped in an American flag? Why do we need to intrude in the lives of someone that gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can sit here and debate about how to honor or disrespct them?:poke:

DannyR
02-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Gabby its not a matter of "denying" that people die in war, it is a repect issue. Would YOU want a picture of YOUR loved ones all over the news if for no other reason than ratings???

All the pictures I saw were very respectful and its impossible to tell who each coffin belongs to, so privacy isn't an issue here. Hiding the deaths imply in my mind that they are embarrassed by the cause they died for. And yes, I'd like a little acknowledgment that if either of the two friends I have serving in Iraq died, that they would be honored when their bodies came back to America, and not shuffled in secretly. Its not just about ratings, and its not just the newspapers that want this, but families of the soldiers as well:

Family members of fallen soldiers urge President Obama to reverse photo ban on flag-draped coffins
(http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/02/10/2009-02-10_family_members_of_fallen_soldiers_urge_p.html)

Vice President Biden has criticized the ban, saying it was shameful to have fallen soldiers "snuck back into the country under cover of the night."

"That's exactly what we experienced," said Richard Von Zerneck of Manhattan, whose son Jason also was killed in Afghanistan in October.

"As much as we appreciate all that they did, it was very clear to us that the Army didn't want people seeing this."

gabosaurus
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
There are cameras and news coverage at funerals of pretty much every well know person. This would not be an issue if certain ignorant ex-presidents had not made it so.

Noir
02-17-2009, 05:25 PM
We have always been able to see the coffins of troops when they land back on British soil, we watch it as a sign of respect, and there is certainly no attempt for the media to use the troop deaths as a political tool, and ofcourse, rightly so.

Nukeman
02-17-2009, 06:00 PM
All the pictures I saw were very respectful and its impossible to tell who each coffin belongs to, so privacy isn't an issue here. Hiding the deaths imply in my mind that they are embarrassed by the cause they died for. And yes, I'd like a little acknowledgment that if either of the two friends I have serving in Iraq died, that they would be honored when their bodies came back to America, and not shuffled in secretly. Its not just about ratings, and its not just the newspapers that want this, but families of the soldiers as well:

Family members of fallen soldiers urge President Obama to reverse photo ban on flag-draped coffins
(http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/02/10/2009-02-10_family_members_of_fallen_soldiers_urge_p.html)A ll the photos I have seen have also been very respectful, but if a relative does not want the media there than it should be honored. If some don't mind that is their prerogative but it should not be forced on everyone. You don't give up your right to privacy just because you died for this country. Or do we????

There are cameras and news coverage at funerals of pretty much every well know person. This would not be an issue if certain ignorant ex-presidents had not made it so.When the family ask for privacy it is usually honored by the reputable papers and media outlets, however the paparazzi seem to not care and continue to harass and pester the shit out of them now don't they. You want to loose that upon an already grieving family. If you want to insight violence and quick backlash against this freedom just go ahead and allow the lunatics their pictures.....

theHawk
02-17-2009, 06:27 PM
The "ban" is only on the government installation. The government is actually respecting the privacy of the family. Once the soldier dies he/she is no longer property of the US government, the body belongs to the family. If families want to allow photos and give access to media to the funeral then they are free to do so, once they have taken possession. Since the soldier is no longer a public servant, the public does not have any "right" to demand photos of him/her.

manu1959
02-17-2009, 06:52 PM
well obama just sent a batallion into afganistan .... gee how did that work out for the russians ....... anyway.....can't see obama supporting pictures of all the boys he sent to die in the mountains of a foreign land all in the name of a gas pipeline......ah the silk road lives..........