PDA

View Full Version : Dems Fought The Surge - And The Surge Won

red states rule
02-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Dems are no longer talking about Iraq as often as they used to. Seems they have a mouth full of crow, and are unable to toss out their demands for surrender as they did for years

Now what will they do?

This war is our war
Democrats fought the surge and the surge -- sort of -- won. Now what do we do in Iraq?

By Joan Walsh

Back when I was regularly writing about Iraq and talking about it on television, I read everything the Washington Post's Thomas Ricks wrote about the war. From his devastating book "Fiasco" to his daily reporting from Baghdad and the Pentagon, Ricks was the nation's top expert on the folly of the U.S. mission in Iraq, from inept prewar planning to postwar execution to a botched occupation that led the U.S. to the brink of defeat without its leadership having a clue how bad things really were.

Imagine my surprise, and also perhaps Ricks', to find his new book, "The Gamble: General Petraeus and the American Military Adventure in Iraq 2006-2008," telling an admiring, often inspiring story of the way the American military came back from humiliation thanks to the so-called surge, which so many Democrats, myself included, passionately opposed. If you enjoyed "Fiasco," thrilled to have your prejudices about the clueless Bush administration confirmed, it's your responsibility to read "The Gamble" to have some prejudices challenged. In "Fiasco" decisions are made by knaves and buffoons like Donald Rumsfeld, Iraq reconstruction czar L. Paul Bremer and Iraq's first commander, Lt. General Ricardo Sanchez; in "The Gamble," the action is dominated by men Ricks respects, like retired Gen. Jack Keane, along with David Petraeus and his deputy, Gen. Raymond Odierno.

Ricks shows how the three military leaders ran their own insurgent campaign to get control of the disastrous war as it spiraled out of control in 2006. According to Ricks, liberals weren't the only ones appalled by Abu Ghraib, the massacres at Haditha and Mahmoudiya, and abusive interrogation practices all over Iraq. War critics within the military were likewise galvanized by those abuses, Ricks says, at least partly because they saw firsthand the ways American cruelty widened the anti-American insurgency. In a near-complete strategic turnaround, surge adherents argued that the way to victory was not killing as many Iraqis as possible but protecting them, building alliances by respecting Iraqi culture and religion.

http://www.salon.com/books/review/2009/02/18/thomas_ricks/

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 08:48 AM
"War critics within the military were likewise galvanized by those abuses, Ricks says, at least partly because they saw firsthand the ways American cruelty widened the anti-American insurgency. In a near-complete strategic turnaround, surge adherents argued that the way to victory was not killing as many Iraqis as possible but protecting them, building alliances by respecting Iraqi culture and religion."

brilliant

red states rule
02-18-2009, 08:51 AM
"War critics within the military were likewise galvanized by those abuses, Ricks says, at least partly because they saw firsthand the ways American cruelty widened the anti-American insurgency. In a near-complete strategic turnaround, surge adherents argued that the way to victory was not killing as many Iraqis as possible but protecting them, building alliances by respecting Iraqi culture and religion."

brilliant

Ah I knew Virgil would be one of the first libs to slime and take shots at the troops

Like Murtha who called the troops cold blooded killers. Virgil is always ready to show his support for the troops

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Ah I knew Virgil would be one of the first libs to slime and take shots at the troops

Like Murtha who called the troops cold blooded killers. Virgil is always ready to show his support for the troops

I merely quoted you from your opening post. Were YOU sliming the troops in post #1?

and please stop calling me by the name virgil. it is not my name. it is getting rather annoying to keep telling you that and have you ignore my wishes.

red states rule
02-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I merely quoted you from your opening post. Were YOU sliming the troops in post #1?

and please stop calling me by the name virgil. it is not my name. it is getting rather annoying to keep telling you that and have you ignore my wishes.

The writer of the article is "surprised" by the new outlook of Thomas Ricks. Once a loyal anti war liberal, he is now talking about the good news and progress in Iraq

Something that is an unforgivable sin with liberals

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 10:00 AM
The writer of the article is "surprised" by the new outlook of Thomas Ricks. Once a loyal anti war liberal, he is now talking about the good news and progress in Iraq

Something that is an unforgivable sin with liberals

and I agreed with his assessment of the three generals... I did not slime anyone. I agreed that Petraeus and co. have done a find job in turning the Iraq mess around. Again...all I did was QUOTE YOUR post and you attacked me for it. Perhaps you should read the entire contents of stuff that you cut and paste.

red states rule
02-18-2009, 10:04 AM
and I agreed with his assessment of the three generals... I did not slime anyone. I agreed that Petraeus and co. have done a find job in turning the Iraq mess around. Again...all I did was QUOTE YOUR post and you attacked me for it. Perhaps you should read the entire contents of stuff that you cut and paste.

Being a party beofre counrty liberal, you highlighted his past writing - and not his turn around on his view of Iraq

Now more good news from Iraq

Strikers Depart, Paratroopers Increase Role in Eastern Baghdad

02.17.2009 04:20

FORWARD OPERATING BASE LOYALTY, Iraq – After 15 months of combat, the Soldiers of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Multi-National Division – Baghdad are leaving Iraq with a sense of accomplishment.

“Today I leave with a great sense of pride and satisfaction. The enemy no longer controls the terrain, and I see hope in the eyes of the Iraqi people,” said Col. John Hort, commander of the 3rd BCT, 4th Inf. Div, during a transition ceremony Feb. 14 at Forward Operating Base Loyalty.

During their tenure in Iraq, Soldiers of the “Striker” brigade saw major fighting in Sadr City, a Shiite stronghold in eastern Baghdad, during March and April 2008.

Hort credited the Iraqi security forces and praised its commanders for leading the way in quelling the violence in the region.

With the brigade’s departure, the Paratroopers of 3rd BCT, 82nd Airborne Div., assume joint responsibility of Baghdad, east of the Tigris River. “Panther” brigade Soldiers have partnered with Iraqi security forces in Al Karradah, Rusafa and New Baghdad since early January 2009. The brigade will now work with the Iraqi army soldiers of the 11th IA Div., in safeguarding Adhamiyah, Istaqlal Qada and Sadr City in the Iraqi capital.

During the ceremony, Col. Timothy McGuire, commander of the 3rd BCT, 82nd Abn. Div., credited the ISF, and the Striker brigade for their ability to turnaround the once violent region of Baghdad.

“The security gains in Iraq are impressive, nowhere more so than Sadr City and Adhamiyah,” said McGuire. “The success of northeast Baghdad has been a catalyst for the security gains throughout the entire country. We know that is a result of the bravery and selfless sacrifice of these Iraqi and American patriots.”

McGuire said he was eager to work with ISF in the expanded area of operations, and continue to build upon the early success achieved in Iraq this year.

http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=news/news_show.php&id=30102

DannyR
02-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Dems are no longer talking about Iraq as often as they used to. Seems they have a mouth full of crow, and are unable to toss out their demands for surrender as they did for years

I'll happily admit I was somewhat wrong about Iraq. I opposed the surge and wanted out, not because I thought the surge wouldn't necessarily work - in fact I had posted many times before on other boards about how more troops were needed all along and where in the past we used more troops violence lessened. The problem was that such tactics always were temporary, because we didn't stick around, letting the insurgents move back in, killing those who helped us, and strengthening their position. I saw the Surge as more of the same.

So yes, I opposed the surge. I did so because I was certain even if it did have success the inane Bush administration who was running the war until 2006 would botch things up. I'm happy to see the more competent generals finally had their way and got things done.

I think its still strongly debatable if Iraq was worth all the trouble however, in both lives and money and lessening of US reputation abroad, and I think if Bush had listened to generals who wanted more troops at the start, we'd already be out of Iraq by now except for minimal support.

red states rule
02-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I'll happily admit I was somewhat wrong about Iraq. I opposed the surge and wanted out, not because I thought the surge wouldn't necessarily work - in fact I had posted many times before on other boards about how more troops were needed all along and where in the past we used more troops violence lessened. The problem was that such tactics always were temporary, because we didn't stick around, letting the insurgents move back in, killing those who helped us, and strengthening their position. I saw the Surge as more of the same.

So yes, I opposed the surge. I did so because I was certain even if it did have success the inane Bush administration who was running the war until 2006 would botch things up. I'm happy to see the more competent generals finally had their way and got things done.

I think its still strongly debatable if Iraq was worth all the trouble however, in both lives and money and lessening of US reputation abroad, and I think if Bush had listened to generals who wanted more troops at the start, we'd already be out of Iraq by now except for minimal support.

News you will not see in the liberal media

‘Sons of Iraq’ Transition Into New, Long-term Jobs
American Forces Press Service

BAGHDAD, Feb. 17, 2009 – The transfer of the “Sons of Iraq” civilian security group to Iraqi government control and the transition into new employment and education activities is moving ahead according to plan, coalition and Iraqi government officials said.
"It's gone very smoothly," Navy Lt. Cmdr. Jason Ward, the reconciliation operations officer for Multinational Corps Iraq, said. "Today, we've got just under 72,000 Sons of Iraq that have transferred to Iraqi control."

Sons of Iraq members in Anbar province successfully transferred to the Iraqi government Feb. 1, and in April, Salahuddin province will be the final province to transfer its grassroots security group.

"It is just incredible, the level of commitment so many people have shown towards the Sons of Iraq due to their security contribution," Ward said.

The Sons of Iraq -- who number about 94,000 in nine provinces across Iraq -- arose out of a grassroots movement in 2006 known as Sahwah, or "The Awakening," that united Iraqis who had grown tired of al-Qaida-inspired violence in their communities. In early 2008, the volunteers partnered with coalition forces to combat terrorist elements in their neighborhoods.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=53114

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Being a party beofre counrty liberal, you highlighted his past writing - and not his turn around on his view of Iraq

clearly, you did not read what you, yourself, posted and you did not read that portion that I quoted.

do you even understand who the author is talking about here?

"In a near-complete strategic turnaround, surge adherents argued that the way to victory was not killing as many Iraqis as possible but protecting them, building alliances by respecting Iraqi culture and religion."

red states rule
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
clearly, you did not read what you, yourself, posted and you did not read that portion that I quoted.

"In a near-complete strategic turnaround, surge adherents argued that the way to victory was not killing as many Iraqis as possible but protecting them, building alliances by respecting Iraqi culture and religion."

I understand what the writer of the article is saying. In the last paragraph of her article

Appraising the difference between my conclusions and Ricks' at the end of "The Gamble," I found myself thinking about the old adage "Where you stand depends on where you sit." Ricks spent a lot of time sitting in (and courageously running around) Iraq and American military bases, admiring and respecting the courage and intelligence of the men and women who've turned this mess around as best they can, and he understandably doesn't want their work to be in vain. I'm sitting in my office in California, where teachers and other public workers are facing furloughs and layoffs, and poverty, homelessness and crime are on the rise. So I still want troops out of Iraq as soon as possible. But reading this well-reported book may have changed even my notion of what that means.

The US won in Iraq despite the best efforts of the left, and that fact sort of depresses her - like most liberals

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 11:47 AM
I understand what the writer of the article is saying. In the last paragraph of her article

Appraising the difference between my conclusions and Ricks' at the end of "The Gamble," I found myself thinking about the old adage "Where you stand depends on where you sit." Ricks spent a lot of time sitting in (and courageously running around) Iraq and American military bases, admiring and respecting the courage and intelligence of the men and women who've turned this mess around as best they can, and he understandably doesn't want their work to be in vain. I'm sitting in my office in California, where teachers and other public workers are facing furloughs and layoffs, and poverty, homelessness and crime are on the rise. So I still want troops out of Iraq as soon as possible. But reading this well-reported book may have changed even my notion of what that means.

The US won in Iraq despite the best efforts of the left, and that fact sort of depresses her - like most liberals

my question stands unanswered...

Yurt
02-18-2009, 12:21 PM
and in other hypocrisy, the dems now support obama's surge in afghanistan

if bush is for it = bad

the messiah for it = good

and mf...that philosophy was not urged solely by surge adherents, nice distraction from the real issues. the surge worked, you were against it and most of your dems, you were wrong, but instead of admitting that, you continue bashing rsr to make yourself feel better.

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
and in other hypocrisy, the dems now support obama's surge in afghanistan

if bush is for it = bad

the messiah for it = good

and mf...that philosophy was not urged solely by surge adherents, nice distraction from the real issues. the surge worked, you were against it and most of your dems, you were wrong, but instead of admitting that, you continue bashing rsr to make yourself feel better.

It's md, not mf, by the way...

And I don't think you have ever read anything from me about the surge. As it turns out, I was against the surge, but will gladly admit that it has succeeded on many, if not all levels far beyond my expectations. I am not trying to distract RSR from anything. He posted a quote in the OP... I quoted part of it and agreed with it. I don't think that he, even now, understands what the quote referred to. I think he was so intent on bashing ME that he didn't bother to read what I had written. That part, that I quoted, talked about how Keane, Petraeus and Odierno (the SURGE ADHERENTS) had turned the situation on the ground around, by changing the focus from simply body count to respecting Iraqis, their culture AND their religion (something that RSR is loathe to do).... I AGREED that those steps have drastically improved the situation on the ground... I AGREED that those steps have improved Iraqis opinions of Americans. I still remain hesitant about how well the two main divisions of Iraqis will do in living with one another in our absence, and I still remain firmly convinced that an Iraq that is aligned with Iran - which I believe is the inevitable conclusion of this military/diplomatic event - will be a BAD thing and will be the lasting negative consequence that will forever tilt the scales against any suggestion that the Invasion of Iraq was a wise strategic decision that will be vindicated by history.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
OTE=moderate democrat;350129]It's md, not mf, by the way...

And I don't think you have ever read anything from me about the surge. As it turns out, I was against the surge, but will gladly admit that it has succeeded on many, if not all levels far beyond my expectations.

really, i'm shocked, just so shocked i knew that...

I am not trying to distract RSR from anything. He posted a quote in the OP... I quoted part of it and agreed with it. I don't think that he, even now, understands what the quote referred to. I think he was so intent on bashing ME that he didn't bother to read what I had written. That part, that I quoted, talked about how Keane, Petraeus and Odierno (the SURGE ADHERENTS) had turned the situation on the ground around, by changing the focus from simply body count to respecting Iraqis, their culture AND their religion (something that RSR is loathe to do).... I AGREED that those steps have drastically improved the situation on the ground... I AGREED that those steps have improved Iraqis opinions of Americans. I still remain hesitant about how well the two main divisions of Iraqis will do in living with one another in our absence, and I still remain firmly convinced that an Iraq that is aligned with Iran - which I believe is the inevitable conclusion of this military/diplomatic event - will be a BAD thing and will be the lasting negative consequence that will forever tilt the scales against any suggestion that the Invasion of Iraq was a wise strategic decision that will be vindicated by history.[/QUOTE]

i'm also so shocked you feel this way about the iraqis. i'm think i am going to open a card reading business...i really don't care what you think rsr thinks, and you're not innocent in the bashing arena, so don't play coy.

your statement indicated that solely surge adherents were for that and that part of the surge is really what worked. that is not entirely true. that strategy was implemented before the surge. the surge worked primarily because of boots on the ground.

as to the iraqis, your very negative attitude is akin to those who say the same thing about the stimulus and yet you call them unpatriotic. your hypocrisy knows no bounds. fact is, history will tell and it is possible that iraq was for the best.

theHawk
02-18-2009, 07:30 PM
In a near-complete strategic turnaround, surge adherents argued that the way to victory was not killing as many Iraqis as possible but protecting them, building alliances by respecting Iraqi culture and religion.
When was the mission ever about "killing as many Iraqis as possible"?
The mission was called OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM from DAY 1. With the goals clearly saying it was to free Iraqis from Saddam's reign, not to kill as many as possible.

What a fucking blowhard.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 07:34 PM
The mission was called OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM from DAY 1. With the goals clearly saying it was to free Iraqis from Saddam's reign, not to kill as many as possible.

What a fucking blowhard.

he's blinded by partisan shades

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 08:54 PM
he's blinded by partisan shades

who exactly is blinded by partisan shades? the author quoted by RSR in the OP that discusses the obvious successes of Petraeus and his crew?

Yurt
02-18-2009, 08:57 PM

What a fucking blowhard.

who exactly is blinded by partisan shades? the author quoted by RSR in the OP that discusses the obvious successes of Petraeus and his crew?

:poke:

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 08:58 PM
:poke:

it is a quote from RSR's original post. I guess you missed that, eh counselor?

Yurt
02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
it is a quote from RSR's original post. I guess you missed that, eh counselor?

i did preacher, my bad

and you wonder why people don't believe you....gee can't imagine who used to call me that quite frequently

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 09:18 PM
i did preacher, my bad

and you wonder why people don't believe you....gee can't imagine who used to call me that quite frequently

so you admit you screwed up? Fine...

P.S. I don't give a damn if people don't believe me...I only give a damn about discussing issues instead of your gay obsession with trying to prove I am someone I am not.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 09:25 PM
so you admit you screwed up? Fine...

P.S. I don't give a damn if people don't believfe me...I only give a damn about discussing issues instead of your gay obsession with trying to prove I am someone I am not.

see...more mfm talk with the gay talk...

if you stopped, no one would care...your lies go to your integrity, you call others liars, even myself, but when they call you out on your lies it is somehow a gay obsession. you a hypocrite.

now back on topic before YOU derail another thread

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
see...more mfm talk with the gay talk...

if you stopped, no one would care...your lies go to your integrity, you call others liars, even myself, but when they call you out on your lies it is somehow a gay obsession. you a hypocrite.

now back on topic before YOU derail another thread

this thread was derailed by your not having a clue about the content of the original post...AND your obsession with trying to tie my identity with this previous poster that you obviously had the hots for.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
this thread was derailed by your not having a clue about the content of the original post...AND your obsession with trying to tie my identity with this previous poster that you obviously had the hots for.

dipshit, hawk said that and i replied to hawks post....LIAR

now kindly stop derailing the thread with your twisted and obsessive homosexual talk

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 09:32 PM
dipshit, hawk said that and i replied to hawks post....LIAR

now kindly stop derailing the thread with your twisted and obsessive homosexual talk

who were you referring to that was supposedly blinded by partisan shades?

Yurt
02-18-2009, 09:37 PM
quaint, the ever obsessive mfm refuses to get back on topic and shockingly ignores the fact that hawk is the one who made the comment and called him a blowhard....hawk gets ignored, but oh no, this "new" guy goes right after dear ol' yurt.

(yawn)

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 09:42 PM
who were you referring to that was supposedly blinded by partisan shades?

did yo MISS this???

last time:lol:

Kathianne
02-18-2009, 09:42 PM

A 'find job', I'm assuming an inference, not a typo. What is it you mean? Please enlighten.

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 09:48 PM
A 'find job', I'm assuming an inference, not a typo. What is it you mean? Please enlighten.

you assume incorrectly. it was a typo... replace the "d" with an "e".

that should be all the enlightenment that you should require.

red states rule
02-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Why is the liberal media ignoring this story?

Women's Initiative Improves Iraqi Quality of Life

02.16.2009 10:26

Iraq - Women play a vital role in the United States. The same is true in Iraq, but there is little emphasis placed on their well-being.

The Women's Initiative is a program designed to improve women's role in Iraqi society. This is done in three different parts.

The first component of the program is to decrease women suicide bombers. The initiative was originally started due to the increase in female suicide bombers. In 2007 there were 7, but in 2008 the number increase to 38. To help alleviate this trend, the initiative began.

"The thought behind it is that the women have lost so many of the men in their families - fathers, brothers, husbands, friends," said Capt. Jennifer Glossinger, 413th Civil Affairs Battalion, 10th Mountain Division, MND-C, Women's Initiative Coordinator. "What happens to so many is they become very vulnerable because they don't have many resources, a lot of times they're left with many [children] to take care of. They may not be able to read or write. The Women's Initiative looks to fill in the gaps and provide some of those basic needs to mitigate some of those female suicide bombings."

http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=news/news_show.php&id=30077