PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Palin says abstinence is "not realistic"

gabosaurus
02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I am sure that mom loved this interview. :lmao:

Teen pregnancy? Not really a good idea.

Stopping teen sex? Ain't gonna happen.

So says Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's 18-year-old daughter, Bristol, who told Fox News' Greta Van Susteren Monday night that the abstinence her mom preaches is "not realistic at all."

Bristol Palin's pregnancy, revealed shortly after Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) chose Sarah Palin to be his running mate, shook up the last presidential campaign.

Bristol Palin, who gave birth in late December, described the rigors of being a teen mom, and while she wouldn't go into detail why it isn't realistic for guys and gals her age not to have sex, she did say it isn't smart to get knocked up.

"Everyone should wait 10 years," Palin said. "I hope people learn from my story.

"It's so much easier if you're married, have a house and career. It's not a situation you want to strive for."

She denied that her mother's anti-abortion views were the reason she went ahead with the pregnancy.

"It was my choice to have the baby," she said. "It doesn't matter what my mom's views are on it. It was my decision."

Noir
02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Ofcourse it's not realistic, to many young girls are willing to become sluts so they can have power with young men, and too many young men pressure themselfs into wanting to fuck these sluts.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
we will never stop murder, so why bother having laws against murder, might as well teach contraceptive murder courses....how to inflict the least amount of suffering on your victim....how to inflict the least amount of collateral damage....

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 01:42 PM
I think that this interview just highlights to unrealistic nature of abstinence ONLY education curricula. No one is denying that abstinence is the ultimate best way to stop unwanted teen pregnancy, and the spread of STD's... but teaching abstinence as the ONLY legitimate component of a sex education is not a very reasonable approach, imho.

Trigg
02-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I think that this interview just highlights to unrealistic nature of abstinence ONLY education curricula. No one is denying that abstinence is the ultimate best way to stop unwanted teen pregnancy, and the spread of STD's... but teaching abstinence as the ONLY legitimate component of a sex education is not a very reasonable approach, imho.

I agree, teaching abstinence is fine in addition to other birth controll options, not as the only option.

PostmodernProphet
02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I suppose one could argue that self-discipline is unrealistic, though it would be a lot more honest to simply state that you aren't willing to be self-disciplined....

I think that the claims about sexuality among teens is a lot bigger than the reality....I don't remember the exact numbers, but I recall a study done at Harvard a few years ago which showed that the number of students who had had sexual relations with more than one person by the time they were seniors in college was a lot closer to ten percent than it was to 90 percent.....

Abbey Marie
02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Abstinence is "not realistic at all", says the girl who didn't have the discipline to keep her legs closed.

Shocking.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM

you're purportedly christian...what did the bible say...did the bible teach abstinence only?

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
you're purportedly christian...what did the bible say...did the bible teach abstinence only?

what does my faith, or christianity in general, have to do with secular sex education methodologies in public schools?

Yurt
02-18-2009, 02:21 PM
what does my faith, or christianity in general, have to do with secular sex education methodologies in public schools?

why can't you answer the question?

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 02:25 PM
why can't you answer the question?

because I don't see its relevance.

It would be like me jumping in and asking your opinion on A-Rod's steroid use. Who cares? What does it have to do with the topic at hand. Here is the deal... you can ask stupid irrelevant questions all day long if you like, but don't expect me to feel obligated to answer them. got it? good.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
because I don't see its relevance.

It would be like me jumping in and asking your opinion on A-Rod's steroid use. Who cares? What does it have to do with the topic at hand. Here is the deal... you can ask stupid irrelevant questions all day long if you like, but don't expect me to feel obligated to answer them. got it? good.

it has everything to do with the topic, but you are a hypocrite that demands others answer your quesitons and when others ask you questions you call them stupid and irrelevent...

abstinence only is predominently, if not soley, a christian principle. so i ask you, since you have purported on this board that you are a christian, what does the bible say because i believe the bible contradicts your view points stated in this thread.

you're just a chickenshit who hates answering questions that causes your points to lose credibility.

PostmodernProphet
02-18-2009, 02:38 PM
the problem isn't that abstinence isn't 100% effective, just that kids aren't 100% abstinent.......I fail to see how this differs from kids who aren't 100% using contraceptives, or 100% "not drinking", or 100% "not using drugs"....it isn't the method that fails, it's the committment to the method.....

Noir
02-18-2009, 02:48 PM
I think that the claims about sexuality among teens is a lot bigger than the reality....I don't remember the exact numbers, but I recall a study done at Harvard a few years ago which showed that the number of students who had had sexual relations with more than one person by the time they were seniors in college was a lot closer to ten percent than it was to 90 percent.....

I would really beg to differ, I don't think I could name more than 2 dozen guys in my year who have had sex with one person or no one. This study that was done at harvard, is it a posh university? If so it may go some way to explaining why the number would be lower than one would expect.

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
it has everything to do with the topic, but you are a hypocrite that demands others answer your quesitons and when others ask you questions you call them stupid and irrelevent...

abstinence only is predominently, if not soley, a christian principle. so i ask you, since you have purported on this board that you are a christian, what does the bible say because i believe the bible contradicts your view points stated in this thread.

you're just a chickenshit who hates answering questions that causes your points to lose credibility.

what the bible says about abstinence is irrelevant to a discussion about secular sex education in public schools. what MY faith is is DOUBLY irrelevant.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
you are forfeit from ever demanding anyone ever answer your questions. if you are not obligated to answer anyone's questions, nor obligated to prove anything to anyone, you are forfeit from demanding anyone do the same.

it is that simple.

glockmail
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I am sure that mom loved this interview. :lmao:
Why? You've been able to abstain.

darin
02-18-2009, 04:11 PM

This interview simply highlights the sexualization of america's youth through media, shitty parenting at times, and the ever-secular shift of American culture. It simply highlights sin. Miss Bristol's views are her own - but they are expected from a kid her age. Kids aren't wired to think long-term or strategicaly when it comes to their views on 'how things are'.

PostmodernProphet
02-18-2009, 05:52 PM
I would really beg to differ, I don't think I could name more than 2 dozen guys in my year who have had sex with one person or no one. This study that was done at harvard, is it a posh university? If so it may go some way to explaining why the number would be lower than one would expect.

Harvard in the US would probably equate with Oxford in Britain.....but tell me....is your list of two dozen based upon what they have told you or what you know to be true.....

Missileman
02-18-2009, 06:26 PM
This interview simply highlights the sexualization of america's youth through media, shitty parenting at times, and the ever-secular shift of American culture.

Pre-marital sex is NOT a recent phenomenon. Teenagers have been having sex as long as there've been teenagers.

Missileman
02-18-2009, 06:27 PM
we will never stop murder, so why bother having laws against murder, might as well teach contraceptive murder courses....how to inflict the least amount of suffering on your victim....how to inflict the least amount of collateral damage....

I can't believe you resurrected this retarded argument.

Yurt
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
I can't believe you resurrected this retarded argument.

shocked you would respond with nothing more....

Missileman
02-18-2009, 06:35 PM
shocked you would respond with nothing more....

Concise and 100% on point and accurate...I don't get paid by the word...LOL

darin
02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Pre-marital sex is NOT a recent phenomenon. Teenagers have been having sex as long as there've been teenagers.

That's beside the point. but...yup. They sure have. :)

Noir
02-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Harvard in the US would probably equate with Oxford in Britain.....but tell me....is your list of two dozen based upon what they have told you or what you know to be true.....

Indeed, as I thought, thus explaining possible skewed results, while they may be right they would not be representitive.

And it's personal experience, as I never drink I am able to see and remember what goes on at partys and so forth, those two dozen are folk that I would assume are more reserved and not like to act that way, but I am not sure of that.

theHawk
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Ofcourse it's not realistic, to many young girls are willing to become sluts so they can have power with young men, and too many young men pressure themselfs into wanting to fuck these sluts.

So the solution to the obvious problem is to say, "oh well, just go have sex, use a condom"?

Noir
02-18-2009, 07:11 PM
So the solution to the obvious problem is to say, "oh well, just go have sex, use a condom"?

Well I assume they do

I don't think it's a case of 'oh well' but you can't really force them not to have sex, much as it maybe ideal if they were able to be stopped.

theHawk
02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Well I assume they do

I don't think it's a case of 'oh well' but you can't really force them not to have sex, much as it maybe ideal if they were able to be stopped.

Of course no one can "force" them to not have sex. Abstinence is simply preaching to them that its better to wait until they are older. Nothing abstinence preaches is false. If you choose not to have sex you won't get yourself knocked up, pretty simple concept. In today's media culture the young people are being taught to have sex, is there anything wrong with trying to counter that message?

Yurt
02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Concise and 100% on point and accurate...I don't get paid by the word...LOL

that you responded with nothign...yup :coffee:

Noir
02-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Of course no one can "force" them to not have sex. Abstinence is simply preaching to them that its better to wait until they are older. Nothing abstinence preaches is false. If you choose not to have sex you won't get yourself knocked up, pretty simple concept. In today's media culture the young people are being taught to have sex, is there anything wrong with trying to counter that message?

I'm not saying it's a bad message to send out, intact I wish folk were not so kneen to jump into bed with eachother, but in truth it is a message that will be largly ignored, and those who do listen prob would not have had sex early on anyway.

Missileman
02-18-2009, 07:36 PM

As a sole means of sex education, yes...

Missileman
02-18-2009, 07:44 PM
that you responded with nothign...yup :coffee:

If, as you say, that "just say no" with no other training in safety is an appopriate way to educate something "bad" then "just say yes" with no other training in safety should be an appropriate way to educate something "good". We need to stop driver's ed immediately...it's a total waste of money. Just toss untrained kids the keys and tell them to go drive, toss them a rifle and tell them to go hunting, toss them a credit card and tell them to buy things...

Trinity
02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I have a few things to add to this.......

Teenagers have sex, whether the adults want to believe it or not. It still happens. It was happening all the time when I was a teen, which will just say was back in the 80"s. It is even worse today based on what I was watching and learning back then on TV, to what kids today are learning and watching on TV.

My theory, talk to your children openly about sex and relationships and all the things that can happen, and all the tricks guys and girls try. Why? So they are well educated and can make the right choices. You are the adult, you do have the experience. Why would you not pass that knowledge on to your child, to arm them with the knowledge of what could happen? You pass on knowledge about other areas and things in your lives hoping that they apply that knowledge if ever confronted in a situation where they would need it. Abstinence is great, however most teens don't and most likely won't practice it. Knowledge is power!

actsnoblemartin
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

agreeed

Missileman
02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
i have a few things to add to this.......

Teenagers have sex, whether the adults want to believe it or not. It still happens. It was happening all the time when i was a teen, which will just say was back in the 80"s. It is even worse today based on what i was watching and learning back then on tv, to what kids today are learning and watching on tv.

My theory, talk to your children openly about sex and relationships and all the things that can happen, and all the tricks guys and girls try. Why? So they are well educated and can make the right choices. You are the adult, you do have the experience. Why would you not pass that knowledge on to your child, to arm them with the knowledge of what could happen? You pass on knowledge about other areas and things in your lives hoping that they apply that knowledge if ever confronted in a situation where they would need it. Abstinence is great, however most teens don't and most likely won't practice it. Knowledge is power!

amen!

Silver
02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
How lame....a pregnant teenager becomes the left-wings authority on family values because she got knocked up .....for only one, even lamer reason......she's Sarah Palin's daughter....give me a freekin' break, tards:lame2::lame2::lame2::lame2::lame2::lame2:

glockmail
02-18-2009, 08:50 PM
How lame....a pregnant teenager becomes the left-wings authority on family values because she got knocked up .....for only one, even lamer reason......she's Sarah Palin's daughter....give me a freekin' break, tards:lame2::lame2::lame2::lame2::lame2::lame2: They are attempting to show hypocrisy- where none exists.

johnney
02-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Bristol Palin, who gave birth in late December, described the rigors of being a teen mom, and while she wouldn't go into detail why it isn't realistic for guys and gals her age not to have sex, she did say it isn't smart to get knocked up.

"Everyone should wait 10 years," Palin said. "I hope people learn from my story."
i hope people learn from my story... what story would that be? i get the feeling just from that little sentence that she thinks shes the only teen whose gotten knocked up.
i wonder how hard teen mom life is in the palin household?

moderate democrat
02-18-2009, 09:04 PM
i hope people learn from my story... what story would that be? i get the feeling just from that little sentence that she thinks shes the only teen whose gotten knocked up.
i wonder how hard teen mom life is in the palin household?

good point. my guess is... being a teen mon whose mother is the governor of a state is not exactly the typical circumstance that most teen moms find themselves in.