PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s Transportation Secretary Eyes Mileage Tax on American Motorists

red states rule
02-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Can you say "authoritarian nanny state"?

Obama’s Transportation Secretary Eyes Mileage Tax on American Motorists
Friday, February 20, 2009
By Joan Lowy, Associated Press

Washington (AP) - Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn -- an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation's transportation system moving, LaHood said in an interview with The Associated Press.

"We should look at the vehicular miles program where people are actually clocked on the number of miles that they traveled," the former Illinois Republican lawmaker said.

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=43856

Monkeybone
02-20-2009, 10:17 AM
well yah, they still have to get the money from somewhere when all the vehicles have gone green. they are just starting it early so it won't be as big a shock.

red states rule
02-20-2009, 10:18 AM
well yah, they still have to get the money from somewhere when all the vehicles have gone green. they are just starting it early so it won't be as big a shock.

And the funny thing (or sad) is they will sell it as replacing the tax on fuel, but when its all said and done, we'll have both taxes.

Little-Acorn
02-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Yes folks, the idea that we don't pay enough taxes is alive and well in Washington. In fact, it is undergoing a resurgence.

Yes, RSR, isn't it cute the way this guy says he wants to charge this tax "rather than" the current Federal per-gallon gasoline tax? Yep, I'm convinced he will repeal the per-gallon tax, so we won't wind up with both. Yup, uh-huh. Tax-cutting is what the Democrats are all about, after all.

And the idea of the government putting a GPS chip in my car so it can watch how far I'm driving, is similarly delightful. Of course, such info can be directly translated into how fast I drove, where I went, etc. And it's simple for govt computers to keep that info in a log, for later review as government sees fit.

But I'm similarly convinced, that I can trust the government not to abuse that info, to wipe it as soon as it's collected, and to never use it for purposes that weren't originally intended. Just as they promised to do for my Social Security number, my cell phone records, my concealed-carry permit.....

I'm SO glad we voted Barack Obama into office, so he could appoint people like this to his cabinet, who REALLY know what government is for.

After all, how can government take care of us, unless they watch and keep track of us?

Monkeybone
02-20-2009, 12:55 PM
they aren't going to do it anyways.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/02/20/transportation-chief-considers-taxing-miles-driven/

manu1959
02-20-2009, 08:07 PM
businesses will just pass the costs along to the consumer......

Psychoblues
02-21-2009, 06:11 AM
President Barack Hussein Obama says "NO" to taxes on mileage. You kneejerks need to get a life.

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

red states rule
02-23-2009, 07:09 AM
President Barack Hussein Obama says "NO" to taxes on mileage. You kneejerks need to get a life.

Psychoblues

For a guy who like the heat turned up in the Oval office, the heat on this insane idea was to much for the Chosen One

Nukeman
02-23-2009, 07:12 AM

Psychoblues
Way to join the conversation a day late moron.... That was already posted!!!!!!!:poke::slap:

Psychoblues
02-23-2009, 07:15 AM
It was only intended to be pertinent to the post, numbnuts.

Way to join the conversation a day late moron.... That was already posted!!!!!!!:poke::slap:

What's your post supposed to be all about?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

Psychoblues

glockmail
02-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Actually, this is set up to punish the people who live in the suburbs, the exburbs, and flyover country; in other words: Republicans.

red states rule
02-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Actually, this is set up to punish the people who live in the suburbs, the exburbs, and flyover country; in other words: Republicans.

Or anyone who would still have a job and has to drive to work - amd those who own their own business and has to drive from jobsite to jobsite