PDA

View Full Version : Any radio drama fans on DP?

emmett
02-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know who Harry Nile is?

Jon Patrick Lowrey?

Larry Albert?

Just curious. I have been a radio drama listener for many years.

hjmick
02-21-2009, 01:00 AM
I grew up listening to old radio dramas and comedies. My dad has an extensive collection on reel to reel tape. X-Minus One, The Shadow, Henry Aldrich, Gunsmoke, Amos & Andy, Black Museum, Gangbusters, Night Beat, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Charlie Chan, The Whistler, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, just to name a few.

Haven't heard Harry Nile since the early to mid eighties, is it still on in first run or are they airing reruns? I know they were doing new episodes as recently as 2000 or 2001, maybe even later.

hjmick
02-21-2009, 01:05 AM
As a matter of fact, check out this link for some of the classics: Radiolovers.com - Free Old Time Radio Shows (http://www.radiolovers.com/)

emmett
02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I grew up listening to old radio dramas and comedies. My dad has an extensive collection on reel to reel tape. X-Minus One, The Shadow, Henry Aldrich, Gunsmoke, Amos & Andy, Black Museum, Gangbusters, Night Beat, Tales of the Texas Rangers, Charlie Chan, The Whistler, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, just to name a few.

Haven't heard Harry Nile since the early to mid eighties, is it still on in first run or are they airing reruns? I know they were doing new episodes as recently as 2000 or 2001, maybe even later.

They have cut several new episodes up until 2004 when Phil Harper died. He of course was the voice of Harry Nile. I am an avid radio drama fan myself. It started as a child in Phoenix, Arizona listening to Suspense Theater, and of course several of the ones you mentioned.

Imagination Theater airs on XM Radio Ch 163 as does Harry Nile and the further adventures of Sherlock Holmes. While I was on the road driving I listened to Sonic Theater almost every waking hour of the day. I'm fascinated with it and was just curious if anyone else knew who these characters were.

Jim French Productions still tapes new episodes using Larry Albert as Harry Nile. He is also well known as Dr. John H. Watson working with John Patrick Lowery as Sherlock Holmes in the new episodes of Sherlock Holmes.

DannyR
02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm a big fan of the Big Finish audio plays they produce based on the Doctor Who storylines.

http://www.bigfinish.com/Doctor-Who

actsnoblemartin
02-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I love harry niles :)

Does anyone know who Harry Nile is?

Jon Patrick Lowrey?

Larry Albert?

Just curious. I have been a radio drama listener for many years.

Mr. P
02-23-2009, 10:51 PM
I enjoyed the old radio shows on XM.

Hey, maybe an XM would be a better buy than a digital TV when the time comes.

emmett
02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
I enjoyed the old radio shows on XM.

Hey, maybe an XM would be a better buy than a digital TV when the time comes.

Got me on that one, I was going to say about the same thing. Radio Drama is just so cool. I am presently competing in a contest to write a radio drama and submit to Jim French Productions. Just for fun. Anyone can do it by going to Harry Nile.com, it has to be in radio script format and they are very strict.

It's fun. I couldn't imagine a bigger boner than having a script played on XM Radio Sonic Theater, or Book Radio or whatever they are calling it now.

So Marty! You listen to Harry Nile? XM or on an AM affiliate somewhere?

emmett
02-24-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm a big fan of the Big Finish audio plays they produce based on the Doctor Who storylines.

http://www.bigfinish.com/Doctor-Who

Absolutely just frigging cool Danny!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!