PDA

View Full Version : Syria, US Explore Improving Ties As Kerry Visits

Psychoblues
02-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Who'd a thunk it?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!???!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

By SAM F. GHATTAS,
Associated Press Writer Sam F. Ghattas
DAMASCUS, Syria

The United States and Syria are exploring the possibility of a new era of better relations after years of tension — but questions remain over just how much common ground exists between the two.

A key sign that President Barack Obama is seeking better ties is the flurry of U.S. congressmen who have passed through Syria in the last few days, including Sen. John Kerry, who arrived Saturday and met with President Bashar Assad.

The State Department also announced Friday it has scheduled a meeting next week with Syria's ambassador to the U.S. to discuss outstanding differences between the two countries — the first such meeting in months.

U.S.-Syrian relations have long been tense. Damascus' support for the militant organizations Hamas and Hezbollah has drawn the ire of Washington, which has also accused Syria of allowing foreign fighters to cross into Iraq. Syria, which staunchly opposed the 2003 invasion, insists it is doing all it can to safeguard its long, porous border.

Relations soured further when the Bush administration pulled the U.S. ambassador out of Syria in 2005 to protest Syria's suspected role in the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri. Damascus denied involvement in his death, but in the uproar that followed, it was forced to withdraw its troops from Lebanon, ending a 29-year military presence.

The congressional delegations, led by Democrats, are carrying the message that America wants to engage countries it's been at odds with if they're willing, as Obama puts it, to unclench their fists.

On the face of it, the visits are proof of America's willingness to do away with the former Bush administration's policy of isolating Syria.

For example, when former President Jimmy Carter and Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi came to Syria in 2007 and 2008 respectively, the Bush administration chastised them, saying their visits hurt U.S. interests.

But the Congress members on separate visits to Syria — including Kerry, Sen. Benjamin Cardin, of Maryland, and House Foreign Affair Committee Chairman Rep. Howard Berman, of California — will likely find a White House that's ready to listen when they return home.

There are concerns that new American openness toward Damascus may only be cosmetic, because the long-standing differences between the countries haven't changed much.

Syria's ambassador to Washington described the congressional visits to Damascus as being "of extreme importance and depth." But he stressed he was still waiting to see if the visits change "the manner of dialogue between us and America."

"Let us see what are the goals we all want to reach, where we agree, where we disagree," Imad Mustapha told The Associated Press in Damascus.

Mustapha is to meet with Jeffrey D. Feltman, the acting assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs, according to State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid, in the belief that direct engagement with Syria will advance U.S. interests.

"Our concerns include Syria's support to terrorist groups and networks, Syria's pursuit of nuclear and unconventional weaponry, interference in Lebanon and a worsening human rights situation," he said Friday.

Already during their trips to the Mideast, Kerry and Cardin repeated the previous American language demanding Damascus change its ways in terms of its ties to Iran and backing of militant groups such as Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Palestinian Hamas.

But Assad has sent signals he wants to work with Washington. In an interview with the British newspaper The Guardian published this week, Assad said he was impressed by Obama's friendly gestures and welcomed the U.S. delegations to Syria. But he also said he's still waiting to see results.

"We are still in the period of gestures and signals. There is nothing real yet," he said.

Syrian political analyst Imad Shueibi was optimistic that U.S.-Syria relations would change from a period of "the wrestling of wills to the sharing of wills."

"What is happening is not just checking the pulse," he said of the congressional visits. "It is an attempt to define the possible horizons in the relations ahead."

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090221/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_syria_us

It's about time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Nukeman
02-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I have to agree with you psycho, I do believe we need to "talk" to these countries, however I also feel we need to be sure and not send the wrong message of weakness. We need to remain strong in our principles and be sure they understand that.

We should have open communication with all the Arab countries. If they support terrorism than we will have to take a different stance with them.

Psychoblues
02-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Hey, nm, I'm with you all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree with you psycho, I do believe we need to "talk" to these countries, however I also feel we need to be sure and not send the wrong message of weakness. We need to remain strong in our principles and be sure they understand that.

We should have open communication with all the Arab countries. If they support terrorism than we will have to take a different stance with them.

But, exploiting our military power is useless against a determined enemy, justified or not, even if all they have is rocks and sticks to beat us with, don't you know?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Can I buy you a beverage to cool the jets just a bit?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

theHawk
02-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Is anyone really surprised the Dems want to be friends with terrorist supporting nations? Talking can be good, but if we are making deals with this them it will only favor them. Sounds like Obama is willing to turn a blind eye to their terrorist supporting activities in order to give the illusion of peace. Appeasement is what Democrats want. It didn't work for Chamberlain or anyone else, but I keep forgetting that Obama is special, it will work for him.

Psychoblues
02-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Excepting you, huk, no one has implied friendship with terrorist nations.

Is anyone really surprised the Dems want to be friends with terrorist supporting nations? Talking can be good, but if we are making deals with this them it will only favor them. Sounds like Obama is willing to turn a blind eye to their terrorist supporting activities in order to give the illusion of peace. Appeasement is what Democrats want. It didn't work for Chamberlain or anyone else, but I keep forgetting that Obama is special, it will work for him.

Just where do your loyalties lie?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!????!

Psychoblues

theHawk
02-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Just where do your loyalties lie?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!????!

My loyalties lie with this country, and against threats like radical Islamic Jihad. Sorry to say I'm not on the same page as your manchild President who wants to be friends with all the schoolyard bullies because he is a coward.

PostmodernProphet
02-22-2009, 07:03 AM
We should have open communication with all the Arab countries.

Come on, let's be honest....we have communication with the Arab countries.....Iran, for example, has had no doubts, the last eight years, what that communication was.....saying we need better communication simply means that folks want us to say things that Iran finds acceptable......

Nukeman
02-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Come on, let's be honest....we have communication with the Arab countries.....Iran, for example, has had no doubts, the last eight years, what that communication was.....saying we need better communication simply means that folks want us to say things that Iran finds acceptable......
Not at all... I feel we should at least keep some open dialog with the countries that want to do us harm. If you shut someone out than you have no idea what they are thinking.

I have never called for cowing down to any of these countries in fact I would like nothing better than to see the Islamic rulers and their puppets removed from the face of the earth. Since that is not likely to happen anytime soon we need to at least keep some lines of communication open.......

Like Teddy said

SPEAK SOFTLY BUT CARRY A BIG STICK

PostmodernProphet
02-22-2009, 12:57 PM
but what line of communication is closed....we've been engaged in discussions with Iran through the UN for the last eight years.....the only time there wasn't communication was when they shut the door.....

Psychoblues
02-23-2009, 04:51 AM
Once again, pimp, nm is out to exacerbate an already complicated problem. International diplomacy is not cool for those that can't even get along without lying on a simpleass internet messageboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I noticed he doesn't have any solutions?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? Perhaps he is part of the problem?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Psychoblues

MtnBiker
03-10-2009, 04:51 PM
4. c

Psychoblues
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
4. c

Mtnbiker, you forgot to send me the Captain Blueberry decoder ring that you promised!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers2: :beer: :cheers2:

Psychoblues

emmett
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
I got mine.

Psychoblues
12-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Typical selfishness of the reichwingers. Get yours and forget about the rest.

I got mine.

:laugh2:

NightTrain
12-02-2009, 12:41 PM
God dammit, who let this asshat back in here?

pete311
04-08-2010, 05:34 PM
no doubt peace will require cooperation with syria. the people of syria are lovely, the government, not so much, kinda like us!