PDA

View Full Version : States considering refusing some stimulus funds

DannyR
02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Seems like some of the obligations the government is requiring to receive stimulus money are too much for many lawmakers.

Just proves a statement I made in previous posts that one can refuse to accept government money if you don't want government restrictions.

Perdue: Ga. might turn down some stimulus funds (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/stories/2009/02/22/perdue_stimulus_funds.html)

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, for instance, has said he won’t take some of the $2.8 billion economic stimulus money headed to his state because he thinks the excessive borrowing needed to pay for it might hurt the country and South Carolina in the long term.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour have said they may reject some of the federal money tied to unemployment insurance because it would force their states to change their unemployment laws.

Perdue said Sunday he has similar concerns regarding Georgia’s unemployment insurance.

“It’s not a matter of turning (the money) down, but some of could cost more to use it than you would get,” Perdue said. “We won’t be using that.”

Psychoblues
02-23-2009, 06:24 AM
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carry on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

Classact
02-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Everyone knows that it's racists to refuse federal stimulus money. Democrats need mental help!

Psychoblues
02-23-2009, 06:55 AM
"Racists",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Everyone knows that it's racists to refuse federal stimulus money. Democrats need mental help!

Interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

DannyR
02-23-2009, 10:41 AM
The racism issue is being discussed here (or more like mocked, as I don't think anybody has yet come out supporting the statement):

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=21518

That topic is a bit too crazy for me to care about. Refusing money is racist? :lame2:

bullypulpit
02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Fine...let 'em and see how they fare next election cycle as their states unemployment roles continue to surge and their infrastructure continues to crumble.

Mr. P
02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Fine...let 'em and see how they fare next election cycle as their states unemployment roles continue to surge and their infrastructure continues to crumble.

Yea...let em wait. I think MOST folks will applaud refusing $$ that comes with strings from the Fed essentially surrendering the operation of the state by the state. Becoming NATIONALIZED?

I hope many states take this stand and refuse to accept this $$!

LiberalNation
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
never happen, no one turns down free cash, especially not local/state governments.

Mr. P
02-23-2009, 12:26 PM
never happen, no one turns down free cash, especially not local/state governments.

Hide an watch. Time will tell.