PDA

View Full Version : Hey, GM: Can I Retire At 48, too?

red states rule
02-24-2009, 07:56 AM
I want the same deal. I want full pension and benefits after 30 years of work and I think the taxpayer should pay for it.

Hey, GM: Can I retire at 48, too?
Regardless of age, autoworkers get full pension and benefits after 30 years on the job. Why should the rest of us taxpayers -- who don't get the same privilege -- help GM cover those costs?

By Paul Ingrassia, The Wall Street Journal

GM's new restructuring plan seeks an additional $16.6 billion in government aid -- for now. Chrysler wants an additional $5 billion. The $30 billion that General Motors (GM, news, msgs) has either received or requested since December doesn't count the $8 billion it wants to develop fuel-efficient cars, and another $6 billion it's soliciting from foreign governments.

For these taxpayer subsidies, the government could buy hundreds of thousands of GM cars a month and give them to deserving citizens. Make mine a Corvette, please.

Before deciding what to do with Detroit's demands, uh, requests, government officials first need to confront a fundamental question: How could so many smart people produce such a disastrous result?

Make no mistake, there have been many bright minds in the American auto industry over the years -- at the automakers, the United Auto Workers union and the components companies. Most of them saw today's troubles coming for years, even decades.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/hey-gm-can-i-retire-at-48-too.aspx

moderate democrat
02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
you should have joined the military. that is the deal that the government has been giving to their employees for a long time.

red states rule
02-24-2009, 08:24 AM
you should have joined the military. that is the deal that the government has been giving to their employees for a long time.

The military is very different from union hacks. I have no problem with my tax dollars rewarding those who kept the country safe - but not to union workers who are able to continue working

PostmodernProphet
02-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I was playing cards with the neighbors last weekend.....the woman was saying her brother is quite upset....he has 28 years in at GM and they are closing his plant.....he wanted to make sure he got in those last two years so he would get full pay and benefits for the rest of his life.....I commented that he probably better face the fact he wouldn't be getting it anyway.....now get this, she said he sincerely believes that if GM goes under the taxpayers are obligated to pay him his full pension benefits for the rest of his life.......he thinks there is no reason for the union to negotiate with GM since the government will pay it anyway.......

red states rule
02-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I was playing cards with the neighbors last weekend.....the woman was saying her brother is quite upset....he has 28 years in at GM and they are closing his plant.....he wanted to make sure he got in those last two years so he would get full pay and benefits for the rest of his life.....I commented that he probably better face the fact he wouldn't be getting it anyway.....now get this, she said he sincerely believes that if GM goes under the taxpayers are obligated to pay him his full pension benefits for the rest of his life.......he thinks there is no reason for the union to negotiate with GM since the government will pay it anyway.......

He can join the police, fire, prison guards,and retire after 20 years on half pay for life

Those people risk their life on a daily basis to protect everyone else though. Not exactly a good comparison to the guy that makes sure my grill is on straight.

Why do that when he live off the taxpayers with the blessing of Obama and the Dems?

glockmail
02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
If that's the deal, then that's the deal. Once bankruptcy sets in, however, the deal is off. And the UAW is complicit in causing the bankruptcy. The US taxpayers have never been part of the deal, were never privy to benefits of it, and therefore have no obligation to be part of it's demerits.

glockmail
02-24-2009, 10:00 AM
you should have joined the military. that is the deal that the government has been giving to their employees for a long time. Is that the deal that you got? Lemme guess, Navy?

red states rule
02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
If that's the deal, then that's the deal. Once bankruptcy sets in, however, the deal is off. And the UAW is complicit in causing the bankruptcy. The US taxpayers have never been part of the deal, were never privy to benefits of it, and therefore have no obligation to be part of it's demerits.

It only seems like a good deal, until the company you forced the contracts on by threatening to strike, up goes out of business.

Looks to me like US taxpayers are the ones who needs a better negotiator

Our tax money is not even going to build cars we don't want to buy.

glockmail
02-24-2009, 10:11 AM
It only seems like a good deal, until the company you forced the contracts on by threatening to strike, up goes out of business.

Looks to me like US taxpayers are the ones who needs a better negotiator

Our tax money is not even going to build cars we don't want to buy.My old man worked for big companies that were always getting bought out and changing the deal for him, and it never got better, only worse. The only person that you can rely on is yourself.

No shit we need better representation. 2010 we'll see some real change, hopefully. Or maybe it needs to get worse before that happens. *shrug*

red states rule
02-24-2009, 10:12 AM
My old man worked for big companies that were always getting bought out and changing the deal for him, and it never got better, only worse. The only person that you can rely on is yourself.

No shit we need better representation. 2010 we'll see some real change, hopefully. Or maybe it needs to get worse before that happens. *shrug*

Glock, the way Obama is going, 2010 could see bigger gaines for Repubicans then they had in 1994

I hope it is conservatives that get elected - not the moderates and RINO's

gabosaurus
02-24-2009, 12:09 PM
I want the same deal. I want full pension and benefits after 30 years of work and I think the taxpayer should pay for it.
When was the last time YOU did any legit work? Don't the taxpayers pay for YOU?

moderate democrat
02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Glock, the way Obama is going, 2010 could see bigger gaines for Repubicans then they had in 1994

Obama's approval rating is holding pretty steady (ande pretty high) in Gallup and Rasmussen...

but you can keep wishing in one hand if you like.:lol:

moderate democrat
02-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Is that the deal that you got? Lemme guess, Navy?

not me. I wish I had joined the navy! my older brother did, and I was always determined not to do what he did, so I stayed away. big mistake. He had a great career.

Joe Steel
02-24-2009, 01:39 PM

Regardless of age, autoworkers get full pension and benefits after 30 years on the job. Why should the rest of us taxpayers -- who don't get the same privilege -- help GM cover those costs?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/hey-gm-can-i-retire-at-48-too.aspx

Are you still whining about stimulating the economy?

Get over it.

The American people like the idea so that's the way it's going to be.

PostmodernProphet
02-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Are you still whining about stimulating the economy?

Get over it.

The American people like the idea so that's the way it's going to be.

what does this thread have to do with stimulating the economy?......

manu1959
02-24-2009, 03:48 PM
what does this thread have to do with stimulating the economy?......

i will give it a go.......if the government picks up the tab to let non productive people sit on their ass and do nothing then that will stimulate the economy.....

otherwise they would have to go get a job....and contribute to society ....

PostmodernProphet
02-24-2009, 05:56 PM
i will give it a go.......if the government picks up the tab to let non productive people sit on their ass and do nothing then that will stimulate the economy.....

otherwise they would have to go get a job....and contribute to society ....

so, keeping non-productive people out of industry improves the quality of industry and causes growth?......sounds like a union credo.....

Missileman
02-24-2009, 06:56 PM

GM's new restructuring plan seeks an additional $16.6 billion in government aid -- for now. Chrysler wants an additional $5 billion. The $30 billion that General Motors (GM, news, msgs) has either received or requested since December doesn't count the $8 billion it wants to develop fuel-efficient cars, and another $6 billion it's soliciting from foreign governments.

For these taxpayer subsidies, the government could buy hundreds of thousands of GM cars a month and give them to deserving citizens. Make mine a Corvette, please.

Before deciding what to do with Detroit's demands, uh, requests, government officials first need to confront a fundamental question: How could so many smart people produce such a disastrous result?

Make no mistake, there have been many bright minds in the American auto industry over the years -- at the automakers, the United Auto Workers union and the components companies. Most of them saw today's troubles coming for years, even decades.

Aren't you the same guy who argued that employee bonuses at taxpayer expense were okay? {sarcasm on} These people worked hard for that retirement. Just like you libs to wanna strip the rewards away from hard workers. All you libs can do is de-motivate workers by screwing them over! {sarcasm off}

glockmail
02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
not me. I wish I had joined the navy! my older brother did, and I was always determined not to do what he did, so I stayed away. big mistake. He had a great career. So you must be Virgil 2.5. :laugh2:

glockmail
02-24-2009, 07:12 PM

I can see another "Contract with America" coming, based on Newt's principles. :cheers2:

moderate democrat
02-24-2009, 10:27 PM
So you must be Virgil 2.5. :laugh2:
I am not Virgil anything. I do not onw3n that name and would certainly never pass it along!:poke:
what else do you have beyond these unfounded accusations that I am some long gone poster? If nothing else, why not just DROP this stupid shit and debate me on what I SAY instead of avoiding so by trying to mistakenly claiming who you think I AM?

red states rule
02-25-2009, 08:04 AM
This sob story about the unions workers has got to make 65 year old people who can't afford to retire just choke up and cry an ocean of tears

red states rule
02-25-2009, 08:20 AM
When was the last time YOU did any legit work? Don't the taxpayers pay for YOU?

As usal Gabby you attack and ignore the topic of the thread. I am back to work, and the cancer is in remission for now

I have NEVER taken a penny of taxpayer money, and my illness did not deprive a single welfare mom or illegal immigrant any of their Democrat approved handouts

red states rule
02-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Obama's approval rating is holding pretty steady (ande pretty high) in Gallup and Rasmussen...

but you can keep wishing in one hand if you like.:lol:

Your messiah was in the high 80's on Jan 20

Now he has dropped below 60% in Gallup and Rasmussen

I will stimulate the economy by getting a couple of "Welcome Back Carter" T-shirts. Unless they are sold out